Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:35:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: closed  (Read 20076 times)
bolapara

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:57:07 PM

Awesome sleuthing, spruce.  I'd tip you if I wasn't so cheap! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Archatos

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:46:36 PM

By saying "my linux box just got hacked, and now I'm going to get sued", he also pretty much said:

"I downloaded something from an untrusted source, intentionally set it to executable, and then intentionally executed it. I gave the hacker your money. Now I am going to get sued because I am an idiot."
There are quite a few other ways to exploit a box running Linux. Attempting the method you described there would be my last thought.
cothoms

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:36:23 PM

Wow, I hope this guy gets what is coming to him.  What a dolt.
muyoso

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:12:08 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2011, 11:10:43 PM by muyoso

Anyone who uses bitcoins as currency right now is an idiot.  This is scammer's paradise right here.  Hell, we can't even trust the pools or exchanges at this point, who the hell is trusting some ass from a forum who is basically completely anonymous?  Hard to feel any sympathy at all for people who so easily fall prey to scam artists.

I drink it up!
Nescio

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:53:29 PM

Only when the time is right.

Twice a day? Smiley
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:29:30 AM

Anyone who uses bitcoins as currency right now is an idiot.  This is scammer's paradise right here.  Hell, we can't even trust the pools or exchanges at this point, who the hell is trusting some ass from a forum who is basically completely anonymous?  Hard to feel any sympathy at all for people who so easily fall prey to scam artists.

Nope it takes a idiot to blame a transparent currency for people's stupidity !! The pools are up front with their charges. There will always be people that are out there to scam you it's down to you to have your shuts about you and not get caught.

Also I see a lot of people winging about bitcoin but you have to see it for what it is. And there are so many open oppotunities for people to make legal money out of bitcoin and make this currency great. It's a shame there's lots of greedy people and also a shame more people are putting their skills into establishing flourishing businesses and really make bitcoin a reallity. Might get flamed for saying but it's just my opinion Wink.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 01:04:40 AM

. It's a shame there's lots of greedy people and also a shame more people are putting their skills into establishing flourishing businesses and really make bitcoin a reallity. Might get flamed for saying but it's just my opinion Wink.

Umm, just wanted to clarify here...is that really what you wanted to say or did you mean the opposite.

drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:07:44 AM

. It's a shame there's lots of greedy people and also a shame more people are putting their skills into establishing flourishing businesses and really make bitcoin a reallity. Might get flamed for saying but it's just my opinion Wink.

Umm, just wanted to clarify here...is that really what you wanted to say or did you mean the opposite.

Hahaha yup you know what I meant Grin
ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 02:56:55 AM

All I can say is this: If it sounds too good to be true, It usually is!

I knew something seemed off about his selling thread for the 10 6990's. I talked it over with a Mod, he confirmed his IP was the same, so he wasn't hacked. I just passed him off as a scammer. If there is one thing I've learned from online marketplaces, If you miss one good deal, there will always be another somewhere else. (Life lesson learned from playing Neopets and Gaiaonline)

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:03:09 AM

OP, on the off chance you are reading this:

You may wish to read up on the Wire Fraud Act.  For example, http://www.lorandoslaw.com/FAQ/Wire-Fraud.shtml

Pay close attention to the essential elements of what constitutes wire fraud.  Interstate commerce is pretty important to the US government at a Federal level.  This isn't small claims Judge Judy stuff if that's what you're expecting.  Violation of the Wire Fraud Statute can result in a fine, imprisonment of up to 20 years, or both.  You sure you want to risk it for $6000?

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 03:05:00 AM

Hahaha yup you know what I meant Grin

Yep I entirely agree with your sentiment. It seems bitcoins rampant popularity growth might be the very thing that hurt it the most. A slow and gradual adoption curve would've been ideal. This way it would've given more time for entrepreneurs to get in and build a solid economic base. But I think we are straying off-topic here so I shall leave it at that.

@OP...could you post IP logs perhaps? Anything?

@the rest of you.....so the general consensus is that this claim is false?

ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 03:08:00 AM

You may wish to read up on the Wire Fraud Act.  For example, http://www.lorandoslaw.com/FAQ/Wire-Fraud.shtml

Pay close attention to the essential elements of what constitutes wire fraud.  Interstate commerce is pretty important to the US government at a Federal level.  This isn't small claims Judge Judy stuff if that's what you're expecting.  Violation of the Wire Fraud Statute can result in a fine, imprisonment of up to 20 years, or both.  You sure you want to risk it for $6000?

I see a problem with your Pointing out the Wire Fraud Act. In order to press charges under said act, the government would have to accept that Bitcoin is in fact, Money! .... Oh wait, that might be a good thing! PRESS CHARGES ASAP!

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
grod

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:12:43 AM

I see a problem with your Pointing out the Wire Fraud Act. In order to press charges under said act, the government would have to accept that Bitcoin is in fact, Money! .... Oh wait, that might be a good thing! PRESS CHARGES ASAP!

Not at all.  The defendent enriched himself by $xxx as seen by deposit into account YYY.  Money obtained by fradulent means using a complex scheme involving the internet.  Bitcoins wouldn't even need to be mentioned except as a footnote.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 03:17:18 AM

Transaction logs prove that at the time of the original post, he was still in possession of the BTC (they had not been transferred from the wallet they were sent to by at least one purchaser).

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 04:24:56 AM

Transaction logs prove that at the time of the original post, he was still in possession of the BTC (they had not been transferred from the wallet they were sent to by at least one purchaser).

I see..that explains why the OP hasn't attempted to defend himself.

At least you guys managed to find out who he is.

bolapara

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:56:31 PM

Any response from this Jack-ass yet?
finnthecelt

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:10:57 PM

Any response from this Jack-ass yet?

He hasn't been online since 3 minutes after his original post. I'd say it's safe to say he won't be back around.
Clarithium

Activity: 93

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 01:37:39 AM

He did text me and email me saying he really wants to fix this. I'll screenshot it and upload it when my partner drops my phone off.

Of course I leave my phone in his truck as soon as I need it.

He sounds legitimate, he went out of his way to tell me he wants to make it right. We'll see what happens.

I make websites for bitcoins! Will help you host!Click Here
Bitcoin Mining Rigs
1CrNUxx8E9ds1jQ1dexp9FFjhcuUqupdmN
bolapara

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:53:11 AM

He wants to make what right, specifically?  He asked for money for a tangible item.  Money exchanged hands, but a tangible item has not yet been exchanged.  It doesn't matter at all what happens after the fact.  You have him BTC in exchange for a tangible item.  If he does not give it, he is a theif.  Period.  There should be NO QUESTION about what happens next.  He should give you the item you paid for and he should continue to try and get his money back from the theif that took HIS money.  But at this point it has nothing at all to do with the people that gave him money in exchange for product.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:20:44 PM

nice... going to be toting around that 7k debt for awhile.  Im betting he rang up his credit card to buy 10 cards, and now his coins are either goxed or something.

If it were me, i'd put those 10 cards up on amazon at 1300 a piece and buy 10 more.

He basically had his drug dealer front him 7 grand worth of video cards, and now he cant pay!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: