Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:12:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptopia.co.nz delists WAVES and her assets. Opinions?  (Read 1154 times)
envist

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:49:57 PM

I asked Cryptopia a couple days ago if their decision was final and today I got this reply:

I emailed them as well about all of this but I still have not gotten a response. I felt it was a bit unprofessional that they would rashly remove so many markets over a miscommunication. Good to know they are reconsidering their decision.

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZHiee

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

Hazeian - The Future of Decentralised Trade

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:36:36 AM

I asked Cryptopia a couple days ago if their decision was final and today I got this reply:

I emailed them as well about all of this but I still have not gotten a response. I felt it was a bit unprofessional that they would rashly remove so many markets over a miscommunication. Good to know they are reconsidering their decision.

Is there any recent news about waves and all of its assets on cryptopia ,, ?

xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:49:33 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 07:02:42 AM by xtraelv

I find this screenshot curious. I haven't been able to replicate that in my gmail with received messages.  Grin    Grin     Grin
The circled part - that should be showing the address of the last email that you are replying to.  The different font colors are interesting too.
The date at the top and the date of the reply are fascinating too.  According to that screenshot - Waves Platform received on the 21st - a message sent by Cryptopia on the 22nd

...and the 0.7.6 fork occurred on the 19th

https://twitter.com/Cryptopia_NZ/status/899093596812394496

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:33:52 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 07:44:54 AM by xtraelv

Source https://twitter.com/Cryptopia_NZ/status/899214304745996290

https://twitter.com/Cryptopia_NZ/status/899093596812394496

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:09:49 AM

I have to add that i actually like the Waves platform and support and have Waves (and will continue to buy them) but I also fully understand the decision by Cryptopia to delist. You cannot run an exchange without being informed of wallet updates which are part of the terms and conditions of a coin being listed. With a fork the exchange runs the risk of losing crypto for which the customers might attempt to make them liable or loose angry customers while it is not their fault. I know Cryptopia delists coins if the developer is not honest about mistakes thy have made. Trust needs to exist between the developer of a coin and an exchange.

nimethasa

Activity: 518
Merit: 283

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 06:04:03 AM

The volume was so low it will not affect anything.

i approve, best way to buy waves is on Bittrex atm.

but bittrex only support wave coin
bittrex not support waves token, i think can big problem about waves platform and waves token, if much exchanger not support waves token

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

zzwensel11

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:21:19 AM

I think the whole delisting of waves and its tokens on cryptopia is a real pity. I have been working with both cryptopia and the waves dex and liked to use both them, particularly when I was trading the smaller waves tokens such as Ripto Bux and Mercury. A few months ago, I encountered some hickups while using both system and both the waves and the cryptopia team really stepped up with their support.

Now that cryptopia delisted waves and its tokens, we lost an alternative trading location for the smaller waves tokens. I understand that everything can be traded at the waves dex, but alternatives are good in my opinion.   

░▒▓█ / / /X42/ / / WELCOME TO FEELESS FUTURE! █▓▒░
xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:08:45 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 08:31:10 AM by xtraelv

Is it reasonable for an exchange to take a passive stance towards updates from a platform like Waves?

An exchange has to protect its owners and client against foreseeable losses. A network fork can create risks of loss of funds for an exchange.
Anything that results in the loss of funds can potentially shutter an exchange. Therefore it is up to an exchange to minimize risk.

Cryptopia is risk adverse. They didn't list Ethereum until the fork was well established. (Technically Ethereum is a larger fork from Ethereum Classic)

When an exchange receives funds it is deposited to the exchange wallet but becomes funds held on the exchange by the user. It is often credited after a short number of confirmations. The user can then use the funds for trading. e.g. User1 deposits 10 Waves into wallet.
10 waves is credited to exchange wallet. User1 has 10 Waves in funds on exchange database. User1 trades 10 Waves for 1 Ethereum with user2 and User1 withdraws the Ethereum. User2 has now 10 Waves in exchange Database. The fork results in loss of the 10 Waves = exchange wallet is now 10 Waves short.

When users buy and sell it occurs on the exchange database - not on the coin blockchain. So any losses due to a fork are sustained by the exchange. They may be able to track it back to a user - but is it recoverable ?

Is it necessary to delist the assets as well?

The tokens or assets rely on the proper functioning of the network. The risks of loss due to a fork are the same.

I have spoken with the developers of the site but I have never met them in person. Other than expressing my sadness at losing Waves trading on Cryptopia I haven't discussed the specifics of the removal. This is my personal opinion only.

helloge
Legendary

Activity: 1057
Merit: 1000

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:54:39 PM

Watching the IOU market on Cryptopia this morning I was suddenly surprised with this announcement:

After reading it twice, these questions came to mind:

Is it reasonable for an exchange to take a passive stance towards updates from a platform like Waves?

I'd like to know your opinion on this.

I think that's a personal problem between waves cryptopia, they should solve it themselves , we can do nothing for them .

Yes, their are not some convinced reasons, so the only reason is some personal reason, I think it is normal to see some coins delisted from exchanges, and I do think that will affect the value of that waves.

▄▄███▄▄             
            ███████████           
     ▄▄███▄▄  ▀▀███▀▀  ▄▄███▄▄   
   ████████████▄▄    ███████████ 
     ▀▀████████████▄▄  ▀▀███▀▀   
         ▀▀████████████           
     ▄▄███▄▄  ▀▀███▀▀  ▄▄███▄▄   
   ███████████▄▄     ███████████ 
     ▀▀████████████▄▄  ▀▀███▀▀   
         ▀▀█████████████▄▄       
     ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀█████████████▄▄   
   ████████████▄▄ ▀▀████████████ 
     ▀▀████████████▄▄ ▀▀█████▀▀   
         ▀▀████████████           
             ▀▀█████▀▀           

.CARDSTACK..............
...The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..Bringing scalability and usability to....
..dApps for mass market adoption......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..TOKEN EVENT      .GET ON WHITELIST.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---Twitter   ⦁   Telegram   ⦁   Blog   ⦁   Bitcointalk----
RJX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

umachit.fund

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:53:02 PM

An exchange has to protect its owners and client against foreseeable losses. A network fork can create risks of loss of funds for an exchange.
Anything that results in the loss of funds can potentially shutter an exchange. Therefore it is up to an exchange to minimize risk.

Cryptopia is risk adverse. They didn't list Ethereum until the fork was well established. (Technically Ethereum is a larger fork from Ethereum Classic)

When an exchange receives funds it is deposited to the exchange wallet but becomes funds held on the exchange by the user. It is often credited after a short number of confirmations. The user can then use the funds for trading. e.g. User1 deposits 10 Waves into wallet.
10 waves is credited to exchange wallet. User1 has 10 Waves in funds on exchange database. User1 trades 10 Waves for 1 Ethereum with user2 and User1 withdraws the Ethereum. User2 has now 10 Waves in exchange Database. The fork results in loss of the 10 Waves = exchange wallet is now 10 Waves short.

When users buy and sell it occurs on the exchange database - not on the coin blockchain. So any losses due to a fork are sustained by the exchange. They may be able to track it back to a user - but is it recoverable ?

The tokens or assets rely on the proper functioning of the network. The risks of loss due to a fork are the same.

I have spoken with the developers of the site but I have never met them in person. Other than expressing my sadness at losing Waves trading on Cryptopia I haven't discussed the specifics of the removal. This is my personal opinion only.

You sir, just made me a whole lot wiser! A whole damn lot wiser.

Thank you very much for your reply.

.UmaChit.Fund.
‎ ★
..Revolutionized Rotating..
..Savings & Borrowings.....

‎ ★
█████
██
██
██
██
██