Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:55:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trust System  (Read 12629 times)
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:45:04 AM

how do you get "trust"?

People need to trust you and add you to their trust lists, plus feedback.  Read through the linked post.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
senaque

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:41:39 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 04:52:31 PM by tysat

As I understand it, ripple is meant to incorporate trust management in its core? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, if anyone has some ripple spare to head my way it would be greatly appreciated and repaid Smiley

ADDRESS REMOVED Smiley

tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:58:56 PM

As I understand it, ripple is meant to incorporate trust management in its core? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, if anyone has some ripple spare to head my way it would be greatly appreciated and repaid Smiley

ADDRESS REMOVED Smiley

Ripple may have trust management built in, but that has nothing to do with trust on the bitcointalk forums.

Also, removed your address as we don't allow begging here.
senaque

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:12:11 PM

Right, sorry mate.

I checked the marketplace sections again and noticed the trust 0/0 thingy, hadn't noticed it before I read this forum. It's a great idea - except almost everyone I've looked at trading and offering srevices have 0/0 trust. Is that because we cannot see it as long as this silly newbie timer thing is running?

Trust is such a difficult challenge, and I meant to say, I really hope ripple will end up providing a solid solution to this technical (and social) challenge. As I said, would be even great to integrate it into forums somehow. I think how we've been doing it on irc for ages with the key exchanges is annoying and tedious as hell but understand why it is necessary. That could also be a more 'silent' or less public system, but its interesting I never noticed it before and thanks for pointing it out!

About the 'beg', woops, I'm honestly sorry about that. I did see the disclaimer about begging, and it goes without saying that is just poor etiquette, but I wasn't actually asking for monies, just a ripple 'invite' as this silly antispam/newbie lock came about since after I last posted years ago and never realised it had been introduced, and missed out on posting to ripple discussion board yet again. At the same time, I had completely no idea that it would be interpreted as that considering people display their hashes for btc/ltc (and ripple?) all over the shop, and figured it was common practise.

Once again, apologies. Won't happen again Smiley

Thanks for the great info!
Grous1987

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:00:14 PM

Just read through the link and I think it's a pretty cool idea. I'm curious to see how it'll develop as the community continues to grow.
Crindon

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:11:27 PM

This is a good idea. I hope it does not degrade into something like the system on eBay, but this makes it easier for members to find out who to trust in transactions.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 05:44:54 PM

I think it's a good idea in general but I can easily foresee blackmailers etc. trying to use it to downvote sellers and ruin their reputation.

Edit: It seems to me you mods are creating more and more work for yourself without needing too, you should just focus on keeping the spammers out more than anything.

If there are blackmailers, people can post their information and they will be removed from any trust lists they're on. Untrusted feedback should be looked at critically, since you don't "trust" the person who left it. 

And this actually makes for less work, will make the scammer tag much less necessary (which was heavily reliant on admins/mods). 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Trident

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:49:25 PM

It'd be even better if it was somehow built on top of a coin... like a trust coin or something
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:23:31 PM

It'd be even better if it was somehow built on top of a coin... like a trust coin or something

How would that help at all?  The point of the system is to have something integrated with the forums.  An alt-coin for this would do nothing for that.
Mikeologist

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:31:15 AM

I think it's a good idea in general but I can easily foresee blackmailers etc. trying to use it to downvote sellers and ruin their reputation.

Edit: It seems to me you mods are creating more and more work for yourself without needing too, you should just focus on keeping the spammers out more than anything.

I believe that the system,  when vigilantly maintained, will drown out the erroneous complaints of a few would-be blackmailers.

25 years ago on bbs (this one time, at band camp) we used to use a transit circle to build trust.
Anyone interested in knowing how this works?
thisissomething

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:39:42 PM

I'm a developer and have been thinking about the bitcoin trust issue.
Here are my thoughts:

- The blockchain is not a good place for messaging.
So,
- Thinking of a website where registered users can 'claim' transactions or addresses as theirs, by using the public key message signing features.
- Users that have been validated as owning a transaction/address can make public comments about them.  (ie. there will be a page for the transaction/address, and then comments about the transaction from verified buyer/seller.)
- Registered users can make a profile to establish identity, with number of successful transactions as a trust signal, links to buyer/seller feedback, etc.
- If users do not own the transaction/address, they can be redirected somewhere else to comment (some forum, subreddit, etc.).

Will anyone here find that useful?

tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:58:25 PM

I'm a developer and have been thinking about the bitcoin trust issue.
Here are my thoughts:

- The blockchain is not a good place for messaging.
So,
- Thinking of a website where registered users can 'claim' transactions or addresses as theirs, by using the public key message signing features.
- Users that have been validated as owning a transaction/address can make public comments about them.  (ie. there will be a page for the transaction/address, and then comments about the transaction from verified buyer/seller.)
- Registered users can make a profile to establish identity, with number of successful transactions as a trust signal, links to buyer/seller feedback, etc.
- If users do not own the transaction/address, they can be redirected somewhere else to comment (some forum, subreddit, etc.).

Will anyone here find that useful?

Definitely a cool idea, though it needs to be made easy for the average user to do everything (for it to succeed).
ultrix

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:09:10 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211858.0

I would suggest reading up on the trust system.  The above link goes to the announcement topic from the Meta section.

I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for newbies to ask questions and help each other understand.  Useless replies and off-topic remarks will be deleted.

Edit - This is a useless reply:
+1 for trust

Web of trusts hardly work in the long run.   Look at SSL certificates and Ebay seller ratings.
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:28:00 PM

I would suggest reading up on the trust system.  The above link goes to the announcement topic from the Meta section.

I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for newbies to ask questions and help each other understand.  Useless replies and off-topic remarks will be deleted.

+1 for trust

Web of trusts hardly work in the long run.   Look at SSL certificates and Ebay seller ratings.

Can't really compare this one to Ebay IMO, because only feedback from people in your 'trust network' is counted.  If you maintain a good trust network the system should work (in theory).
Mikeologist

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:36:25 PM

+1 for trust

Can't really compare this one to Ebay IMO, because only feedback from people in your 'trust network' is counted.  If you maintain a good trust network the system should work (in theory).

It appears to be the beginnings of a topic-centralized credit union.

TO ANY LAWYERS OR CORPORATE BANKER TYPES INTO BITCOIN, please consider how to do this like the Swiss would.
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:18:16 PM

TO ANY LAWYERS OR CORPORATE BANKER TYPES INTO BITCOIN, please consider how to do this like the Swiss would.

What?  Can you elaborate?  I'm a little confused.

The trust system just gives you a way to filter feedback given to people based off of trades.
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 01:41:00 AM

I like the feedback depth idea, it means coin developers can't smear posters by repping negative trust if their coin is criticised.

I wonder, is there a default whitelist for trusted members who have reached a certain threshold? Otherwise newbies won't see anything show up until they trust someone, and the system will be missed by many, and thus under-utilised.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
bl4kjaguar

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 02:53:36 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 03:13:59 AM by bl4kjaguar

I like the variety of ideas here but the trust on the buy side is different from trust on the sell-side and it's all really a matter of who sends the first non-negotiable transaction and that's why a system that distinguishes these is most useful. This post used to be a plea for help when I thought that I got scammed by a user on here who had a buy-side history but it was just a slow response time from him even though he wanted the transaction "immediately". Emotions...  Roll Eyes

1CuUwTT21yZmZvNmmYYhsiVocczmAomSVa
Mikeologist

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:16:36 AM

The trust system just gives you a way to filter feedback given to people based off of trades.
When you buy a house in some countries, they run what they call a credit report; while it is a fair to midland marker for the reliability of the risk, a better way would be to only asses the tested reliability of the risk.

Is this person a risk with my 100 btc; well no, the have proven trustworthy with a lot more than that by someone who is in turn trusted by others: and so on . . .

By establishing a network that does not draw a profit to track this info an provide people with security in an insecure time. The goal being to perpetuate the principals on which bitcoin was founded.

I just hope someone of means has a transcendental understanding as to lead them to the same conclusions.

Simply to help, as I have been helped.
tysat (OP)
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:49:14 PM

When you buy a house in some countries, they run what they call a credit report; while it is a fair to midland marker for the reliability of the risk, a better way would be to only asses the tested reliability of the risk.

Is this person a risk with my 100 btc; well no, the have proven trustworthy with a lot more than that by someone who is in turn trusted by others: and so on . . .

By establishing a network that does not draw a profit to track this info an provide people with security in an insecure time. The goal being to perpetuate the principals on which bitcoin was founded.

I just hope someone of means has a transcendental understanding as to lead them to the same conclusions.

Simply to help, as I have been helped.

I'm still not exactly sure what you're trying to say... your phrasing and wording is odd, is English your first language?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: