Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:17:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoin are on chinese exchanges?  (Read 1027 times)
muenze (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 157

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 08:28:12 PM

Do we know a % of about how many bitcoins are in chinese exchanges?
I could see many chinese people transfer them out either to paper wallets or for cash.

But it cant be more than like 10% of bitcoin? Thats actually in chinese exchanges?

Thanks.

It was amazing to be part of Bitcointalk for a little while. Thankyou. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5316241.0
muenze (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:30:00 PM

Is this number not possible to estimate by the more knowledgable members?

Because this number surely can take a lot of scarcity away from people.

It was amazing to be part of Bitcointalk for a little while. Thankyou. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5316241.0
xdev

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:34:43 PM

The four major ones, Bitfinex, OKcoin, Huobi and BTCC hold approx. 23-24% of the total Bitcoin supply. Not counting BCC

But the rumours are looking false so no worry
muenze (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:43:51 PM

The four major ones, Bitfinex, OKcoin, Huobi and BTCC hold approx. 23-24% of the total Bitcoin supply. Not counting BCC

Thanks! Thats a pretty huge number, are really that many bitcoins sitting in (chinese) exchanges? I thought the advice everywhere was to hold outside/in paperwallets for security.

Bitfinex I see listed as Hong Kong, I am not sure if the rumours of a ban would even apply here.

anon4250158

Activity: 266
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 11:06:20 PM

Where did you find that statistic?  I'm genuinely curious, because I would think that they wouldn't announce that themselves, and it's hard to calculate actual holdings based on volume.  It's even harder to really track bitcoins across addresses on the blockchain.
xdev

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 11:09:05 PM

Where did you find that statistic?  I'm genuinely curious, because I would think that they wouldn't announce that themselves, and it's hard to calculate actual holdings based on volume.  It's even harder to really track bitcoins across addresses on the blockchain.

The numbers are loosely gathered from coinmarketcap.com based on Bitcoin and under the tab "Market" you have the Exchanges and their volume (trading volume?). Again, loose numbers, but around 20% for Chinese exchanges isn't far off I believe, China is a big player in the cryptoscene
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:57:13 AM

We can't really tell if how many bitcoin are on the chinese exchanges but the sure thing is, it is a lot. Chinese people or the country of china is one of the biggest country that got a lot of bitcoins in their wallet and if we will estimate it then we can say that about 50-70% of bitcoin are on the side of chinese and that is why they can manipulate the market by its supply.
pathapoddo

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

CRYPTOCITIZEN $CCASH

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:19:41 AM

I just know that 30%-50% bitcoin is in side of Chinese exchanger. And It is not gooood for us.

⎔ CRYPTOCITIZEN ┇ RULE & EARN 【 $CCASH 】
MMO RPG METAVERSE ON BSC ┇ FIGHT  • •  DRAG RACE  • •  EARN
➥ TELEGRAM ➥ TWITTER ➥ TWITCH ➥ WEBSITE  • • 【 WEBSITE 】
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:35:18 AM

3 major exchanges from China: Huobi, OKCoin and BTCChina held 1,581,789 btc in trading volume for the last 30 days, but that doesn't mean that it's all they got. Unfortunately, we don't have a clear estimate on how much do they really have in their safe. 10-15% could be a nice guess.
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:52:07 AM

It would be hard to have the correct data on this but the volume of trading can be estimates d since exchanges are reporting those numbers. I have seen some figures and they are putting the volume in China next to the one we have in Japan...estimated to be between 20-30% of the total volume of all Bitcoin trading on a regular basis. Of course, these Bitcoins are the ones traded...we are not including those being HODL by the people.
Phillionex Project

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:51:31 PM

I think the chinese exchanges have a lot of bitcoin on their exchanges that's why they can manipulate with FUD news....like they did this week
william8829

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:37:24 PM

I started to trade on two Asian exchanges this year, Bitfinex and Binance.  As an American Bitfinex no longer wants my business.  Now Binance and the rest of the Chinese exchanges are in danger of being closed due to recent Government rulings.  I cannot confirm if the exchange ban is true or false.  I have contacted Binance but have yet to receive an answer.  

I CAN confirm my willingness to use Asian exchanges are very low.  
btccash24

Activity: 41

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:41:40 PM

About 30%, according to coinmarketcap trading value.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 08:49:57 PM

Thanks! Thats a pretty huge number, are really that many bitcoins sitting in (chinese) exchanges? I thought the advice everywhere was to hold outside/in paperwallets for security.

Bitfinex I see listed as Hong Kong, I am not sure if the rumours of a ban would even apply here.

I saw different figures

Namely, that Bitfinex alone accounted for around 20-25% of all bitcoins traded currently (not to be confused with the number of bitcoins mined so far). Regarding its location, it seems that Bitfinex is no longer based in Hong Kong, so the Chinese regulators and their orders are pretty much irrelevant for this exchange. Anyway, when the PBoC limited Bitcoin withdrawals as well as deposits form Chinese exchanges earlier this year, a few Hong Kong based exchange followed these orders. Bitfinex was not one of them

musicman90

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:59:50 PM

I just made a post about this which shows some rather scary figures, They may not be not a true reflection of the market but from what I found CNY transactions over the past two years are greater than all other currencies combined and their three main exchanges are responsible for around 95% of all trades in BTC value. No wonder the China news creates such massive drops  Shocked

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2164246.0
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 728
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 09:43:41 PM

It's not possible to exactly know how many bitcoins they own. But it actually gets scary .
If just the trading volume is taken into consideration then that's more than 15% of the available bitcoins in rotation.

That's actually kinda believable. China has been part of the crypto scene for a lot now and they are also responsible for all the manipulations that occur (they happen at their exchanges.)

We still don't know how many bitcoins are held in cold wallets or held for the future.
All I can say is it's not good that all the those coins are in the possession of a single region of the world.
I heard that China is going to ban exchanges. I don't know if it's gonna happen or not.
muenze (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 10:31:52 AM

But it actually gets scary .
If just the trading volume is taken into consideration then that's more than 15% of the available bitcoins in rotation.

I dont think its actually scary if its just 15% of the total bitcoins worldwide that is held in exchanges, is from china.

Because the current crash for bitcoin is around this 15% number, depending on what you want to set as base. Maybe without the bad china news bitcoin would be $5000 now. 15% away of that is 4250. And the situation in china isnt that they actually lost their bitcoin, not at all. It just seems that its a little higher risk for them as of now. So basically you can say this is already in the current bitcoin price now.

So lets say on monday china bans bitcoin (just hypothetically, as a worst case scenario which isnt likely at all, but just assuming the worst case), it would already be in the current bitcoin price.

BChydro

Activity: 1426
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 08:21:11 PM

I think the chinese exchanges have a lot of bitcoin on their exchanges that's why they can manipulate with FUD news....like they did this week
If you are looking at the total trading volumes the Chinese does have the upper hand if you look at the charts and these sort of news will make a huge dent in the market capital of bitcoin and the rest of the alt coins,it is really sad to see these kind of situation because it is emerging from a single country and the entire market is bleeding.
muenze (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 10:27:51 AM

China is the hugest country tho, and they may also have interest in currency manipulation as they have been doing with the $ for decades to benefit their exports.

muenze (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 11:07:20 AM

Actually I am a little suprised now because this post claims 98% (!) of bitcoin trading volume is from china.

https://www.coindesk.com/estimating-data-china-real-bitcoin-trading-volumes/

How could this be real? Even if he says "realistically its more like 80%" thats still an insane number. So is Bitcoin already controlled by the chinese?

And americans, europeans, and other continents just HODL it, but not trade?!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: