Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 02:16:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Way to get round the 5 post limit...  (Read 10343 times)
DarkLight72

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:01:55 PM

I'm not pointing anyone out specifically but I've seen a lot of "I hate the 5 post requirement" or "I don't think it works" posts in this thread, which is completely counter to
a) the spirit of the OP, and;
b) the actual request of the OP.

Obviously people have complained/had issues with the five posts/four hour requirement, otherwise this thread wouldn't be here...nobody is saying anything new and frankly, not helping the conversation.  This isn't a petition drive people so "me too" hold exactly zero water and in many cases proves the rule.

Think of the mods as management.  At work, do you go to your Supervisor or Manager and say "This sucks, change it!"?  Not more than once you don't.  Any manager worth their salt wants you to come to them with your problems, obviously, but they appreciate it when you come to them with ideas on how to fix what's broken instead of just complaining.  Is four hours of active browsing the forums too long?  If so, articulate why you think so and not just "because it's hard/boring".  I'm not saying it isn't hard or boring but I'm saying come up with a cogent, reasonable argument for why the time should be shortened.

I had a couple of questions that I really wanted to ask before I joined the forum and I'd been reading it for several months before I created an account.  While I was waiting, I was just chomping at the bit to ask and, in some cases, reply to threads that I was just sure I had to reply to (I'm an incurable wise-ass).  Turns out that all three of my vital questions that I just couldn't wait to ask had already been answered...multiple times, one of which in the newbie forum.   Roll Eyes  Not saying people haven't searched already because search can be difficult to get the terms right, but it's amazing how much ground has already been trod.

If you have a suggestion, that's what the OP is asking for.  If you're just going to mitch and bone to raise your post count...take 10 seconds in another thread and at least try to be constructive.
pixilatedbtc

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:33:14 PM

From my point of view, the only thing wrong with the current system is that it is not flexible enough to NOT waste the time of those who have what to contribute, but just happen to have joined recently the forum.

It's not really a huge problem, as 4 posts are easily made in the newbies threads (even without shouting like spoiled kids lemme out) and the hours - well, they too shall pass.

However, assuming that the point is to delay (for everybody's benefit) only newbies and not just everybody, why not consider also something along the lines of recommendation from a trusted/hero member or wot rating (would need linking the account to a username there, but it can be done with a signing challenge)?

I mean: those with a good wot rating or trust from several trusted members here can directly post everywhere.

Pixilatedbtc
Giant

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:02:05 PM

If you have a suggestion, that's what the OP is asking for.  If you're just going to mitch and bone to raise your post count...take 10 seconds in another thread and at least try to be constructive.

Maybe it's not the best idea to ask for suggestions in the Newbie forum. You can expect these kind of reactions here.
DarkLight72

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:17:51 PM

Maybe it's not the best idea to ask for suggestions in the Newbie forum. You can expect these kind of reactions here.

While I can see your point, most people aren't going to give the newbie forum a second thought once they are out of it so asking in the main forums isn't likely to garner any useful responses at all.  At least there have been some suggestions given by the people directly affected by the current rules.  I can't speak for the OP but I would guess that's the reason for posting it here rather than elsewhere.
drico

Activity: 68

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:04:26 PM

I think it is a it anniing as you probably have been here for some hours before you want to post something
porticol

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:40:07 AM

My only suggestion would be to really highlight the fact you need to be logged in to show active browsing to meet the time requirement.

Maybe it is highlighted when you sign up and I'm just an idiot, however I've been lurking since I joined (about 1.5 months) but never logged in: I believe I misread it as membership time. This will resolve itself fairly quickly for me, but still, I think unless people come in as experts (the minority) they should understand how the forums work with that sort of lurking time.

Post count is useless, as can be observed by reading any thread in the newbie forum.
Our_Benefactors

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:55:03 AM

I would be happy to see a donation to get around the posts limit with the majority of payments going to some sort of charity or project supported by the community.
ZipTheRip

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:30:32 AM

or maybe qualify for reading 100 plus pages?  To show you may have attempted to bring yourself up todate on the topic you are posting about
Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:39:13 AM

I'm not happy about this newbie status and restrictions on communicating. I'm not a newb in the world of BTC and mining. I need the ability to communicate with others ASAP!

If you knew about the 5 post limit and 4 hour wait, why didn't you register earlier then for when you eventually needed to ask a question in a different part of the forum?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
ToxicDartFrog

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:41:18 AM

5 posts is not a lot to get around. It's only frustrating to people who would like 30 aliases and now have to make 150 posts Cheesy
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:47:49 AM

First 15 posts require captcha, after 5 posts and 4 hours they get access to 1 forum or subforum outside of newbie area.  After another 20 posts and 20 hours they have access to everything.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
olibd

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:52:13 AM

@Inedible I think you have part of the answer to the 5 post problem in the initial question. This thread is the solution !!! I don't mind 5 post, and I'm pretty sure no one else does as long as its not wasting time by posting worthless stuff. The newbie section should be put to use with thread like these that could help the bitcointalk community. Just start engaging threads like these to help solve problem around the community, find solution and get new idea and benefit from the input how people who are trying to get out of the newbie jail. Their time will be put to good use and it's a great way to get people engaged early in the community !!
thebebopfunk

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:02:30 AM

What if you have to have mined a certain total amount of coins & successfully made a transaction, i.e: cashing out whatever amount of BTC you just earned to your wallet. This way, people who DON'T have four hours to refresh, at least may have that time available for their PC to be on.

I'm in an odd spot where I started mining but never logged on to these forums, so now I'm trying to get some help but need to get past this 5 post & four hour requirement..

I just wish my pool had better ways to get suport..
loudog40

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:06:10 AM

I'd like to advocate for a timed 10-15 minute multiple choice test on topics involving Bitcoin and related technologies.

My timely escape from this newbie prison has been frustratingly hindered by a genuine and uncontrollable apathy for most any topic in here, and as a result I've found it curiously difficult to reach the paltry 5-post requirement.  Really, the newbie restriction is probably doing more harm than good to a rapidly growing community like this one.  People get here excited about Bitcoin, usually spending most of their time reading until they eventually find a reason to post, but then, alas, the tragedy.  There's got to be a quicker way to vet that people are literate before letting them converse with the general population.
loudog40

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:15:25 AM

And with that post I'm free!  Oh the irony.
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:47:19 AM

What if you have to have mined a certain total amount of coins & successfully made a transaction, i.e: cashing out whatever amount of BTC you just earned to your wallet. This way, people who DON'T have four hours to refresh, at least may have that time available for their PC to be on.

I'm in an odd spot where I started mining but never logged on to these forums, so now I'm trying to get some help but need to get past this 5 post & four hour requirement..

I just wish my pool had better ways to get suport..

So you want support from a community you don't want to abide the rules of?

If only you'd read enough about the community to know it had these rules...

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:48:48 AM

There's got to be a quicker way to vet that people are literate before letting them converse with the general population.

If only someone would create a thread for people like you so they could get engaged and converse and before they know it, they'll be out of newbie prison...

eltopo

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:58:36 AM

Ya that would work.

And this?
eltopo

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:59:11 AM

Well, I guess I know it does  Grin
elambert
Legendary

Activity: 1696
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:06:48 AM

I have surpassed the 5 post limit and the time limit and still I cannot post...

What am I doing wrong?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: