Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 11:51:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Way to get round the 5 post limit...  (Read 10343 times)
BGrx

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 01:14:57 AM

Just a quick thought for newbie probation is to allow a new user to post 1 time per day in any thread, or in a certain section of threads. If that "newbie" is quoted within the thread they are allowed to continue the conversation with another post, because they obviously have posted something interesting.

After a certain amount of time, or quoted posts, it shows that they have something to contribute to the forum and can become a true member.

I'm generally a rare poster, so this 5 post limit is killer for me because I would much rather post something of quality but I find myself randomly running to posts and posting anything I can think of. Just my 2 cents, but 5 posts probably teaches more bad habits than anything.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 01:28:14 AM

Just a quick thought for newbie probation is to allow a new user to post 1 time per day in any thread, or in a certain section of threads. If that "newbie" is quoted within the thread they are allowed to continue the conversation with another post, because they obviously have posted something interesting.

After a certain amount of time, or quoted posts, it shows that they have something to contribute to the forum and can become a true member.

I'm generally a rare poster, so this 5 post limit is killer for me because I would much rather post something of quality but I find myself randomly running to posts and posting anything I can think of. Just my 2 cents, but 5 posts probably teaches more bad habits than anything.

Interesting proposal. Maybe it will catch on - you never know. I'm guessing there might be some hassle in customizing to enforce the details.

Jack13

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:07:23 AM

I am a rare poster as well, I've spend countless hours on here reading just wish I had known that I needed to spend the time reading the newbie section to get the hours to be able to post if I decided I wanted to! 

I swear it read the manual it just said 4 hours! Cry
mpesha

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:12:31 AM

So the 5 hours only counts if you are reading the newbie section? That seems a bit draconian. I know I have spent far more than 5 hours reading other sections than this one.
Xtremist

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 05:55:15 AM

My suggestion.

ID VERIFICATION SYSTEM!

Currently, I use TrustWho Verified LLC, And Identity verification company.

The website i offer my warcraft services suggests all users get verified with them, or the actual website in which we sell our services and goods.

they have it to where anyone who is TrustWho Verified, and provides proof of their TrustWho Status, will get an emblem by their name in all of their posts.

( Like how where it says Full Member, it would Say ID Verified. )

You would need to setup a whole new army ( well not really army of people ) But a new group dedicated to validating ID's, A utility bill, and Picture of yourself holding your ID beside a current newspaper.

This would weed out alot of potential scammers and people not looking to do legitimate business.

SlobBastard

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:29:07 AM

Damn - is a newbie required to make 5 posts before being able to post in other forums? I'm sure I read the newbie guide and it said something like only able to post in newbie section until 4 hours have passed.  Guess I'll have to read it again.  I did read the "4-hour" thing but just thought that this was a 4 hour wait until being able to post in other forums, not that one had to be reading the newbie forum for 4 hours.  Wow.  That does seem to be crazy if it is the case.  Other parts of the forum should count too shouldn't it?  Anyway, I guess I better go back and read the rules again.  

I thought that it was crazy to have someone post 5 times as a restriction, but I have no idea how much spam the mods had to deal with before they implemented that.  If I was getting 1,000s of stupid comments on my forum then I'm sure I'd probably implement something similar.

Have a nice day people!

Edit:  It looks like I did read it right - here is the applicable section:

Newbie Restrictions
You can only post in the Newbie and Local sub-forums till you have made one post and waited 4 hours.

So I am reading it right, right?  Just 1 post and then wait 4 hours?
camper_van

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:52:28 AM

The only problem I see with the limit is that there isn't much that is worthwhile to post here.
Leading to posts such as this one.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 11:01:07 AM

The only problem I see with the limit is that there isn't much that is worthwhile to post here.
You only have to post 1 quality post and then lurk at any sub forum of the Bitcoin Talk forums for 4 hours and that's it. Is that so hard?

hingall

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:10:05 PM

its not problem 5 post for me  Tongue
ilikehero

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:34:20 PM

totally fine with 5 posts
i would also add a restriction on 1 topic thread to be a useful one, not just a random shit
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:40:27 PM

There are a lot of good conversations in the newbies section. In fact most Bitcoin businesses post here because it's a larger customer base.
nowywbitcoinowymswiecie

Activity: 71

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:51:21 PM

Theres my perspective. Ive been on this forum for a long time but didnt had any need to register. After much reading in hardware mining subforum Ive finally wanted to participate in group-buy but can't.
Than Ive read about newbee-jail.  And I must say - I am little torn apart. Does this is really good idea? After second tought I start to weight pro and cons of that situation and I am thinking its optimal solution to fight with spammers. As for trolls - I doubt. Additionally this solution is quite mod-friendly, semi automatic. From the other side - Ive seen such solution for the first time - time and post count restriction.  This of course push newbees to publish spam on newbee forums as we need to have post count to do.

newbee here 1PkHkAEssCQoarLz6hcmQzF9zbaxGrxdFz
SuperBTCman

Activity: 19

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:54:54 PM

...it's so simple!

All you have to do is join in this thread and provide a better solution to the 5 post + time limit. If it works, it'll get implemented.

Please note, you have to fully explain why it's better than the existing system and explain how it'll work whilst being no more time intensive for Mods to implement.

Good luck everyone!

[Other newbies should feel free to discuss any solutions - pitch in, it's a community!]

I'm ok !
adameb

Activity: 76

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:31:11 PM

Sponsorship/vouching by members of certain status

Will Dance For Satoshis - 1F1q93wAqgH8WFghRKpnBW8HxShuzkRrqc
Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:26:44 PM

Sponsorship/vouching by members of certain status

How would you befriend someone to vouch for you?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
richiep41

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:29:48 PM

It would have helped if this 5 post limit would have been explained in the help file
Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:50:39 PM

It would have helped if this 5 post limit would have been explained in the help file

It would help even more if you were to have read the stickied thread made specifically for you.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
davidtehbest

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 09:43:11 PM

post in this thread till your post count is the limit. ta da...
33Warlord

Activity: 19

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 11:05:48 PM

I agree with all of the posts complaining about the 4 hour limit.  I'm a member of many huge online forums, and this is the first one I've encountered with a 4 hour new user punishment.  It's not a very welcoming way to engage new users into the community.

How about an optional link to a 3rd party "trust service" - something like TrustCloud.  You could then allow users who have linked to it, and have above a certain "trust" score, to skip the 4 hour wait.

GigaDice

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 11:11:14 PM

I personally have no problems with the newbie requirements, seem to keep the trolls/bots away for the most part Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: