Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:06:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter USB Sales [Temporarily Out of Stock]  (Read 93134 times)
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:41:27 PM

I bought a bunch of these to support the p2pool network - at a loss, but so what? It is my BTC, not yours.

These actually run p2pool very well with not too many stales. So does the Jalapeno, but these aren't readily available.

My Avalon cannot run p2pool as it generates a shitload of stales.
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:52:22 PM

I see two problems with you guys complaining about the price.

1) You never calculate the price of BTC when considering ROI.  What if BTC goes to $200, $300, or even higher?  It seems all calculations assume ~$100 price forever and everyone's ultimate conclusion is that you could never make a profit.

2) I see 1.0 BTC price as a parity with available GPU's.  It seems that 1 BTC , ~$100 can not buy you 300MH/s of GPU power.  Doesn't that make this USB ASIC a better value than a GPU?  Let's forget spending $5-10k on a huge ASIC setup and getting more MH/s per $, I'm speaking for the little guys here who might have been contemplating adding more GPU's while BFL and other companies completely fail at shipping their ASICs.
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:57:03 PM

No ones adding GPU to mine SHA256 unless they REALLY can't do their calculations right. And if BTC price goes so much higher as you expect you're better off with bitcoins than these, the higher the BTC price, the more people are going to bring bring new miners online; increasing difficulty even faster.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:57:30 PM

1) You never calculate the price of BTC when considering ROI.  What if BTC goes to $200, $300, or even higher?  It seems all calculations assume ~$100 price forever and everyone's ultimate conclusion is that you could never make a profit.

Ummm, pardon me for pointing out the bleeding obvious, but you pay for these in BTC; if you pay minimum 1 BTC, and don't get minimum 1 BTC back, you lose, capiche?

2) I see 1.0 BTC price as a parity with available GPU's.  It seems that 1 BTC , ~$100 can not buy you 300MH/s of GPU power.  Doesn't that make this USB ASIC a better value than a GPU?  Let's forget spending $5-10k on a huge ASIC setup and getting more MH/s per $, I'm speaking for the little guys here who might have been contemplating adding more GPU's while BFL and other companies completely fail at shipping their ASICs.

You can sell GPUs afterwards and recover some more monies invested, these become Fried Cat's novelty promo freebies come September when they are useless.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
AM4Bitcoin

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:58:24 PM

1) If you think the price is increasing why would you buy these usbs? Buy Bitcoin instead.
2) USB ASIC are better then gpus but they wont ROI anyway.

bullish on Bitcoin + Peercoin
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:00:10 PM

Ummm, pardon me for pointing out the bleeding obvious, but you pay for these in BTC; if you pay minimum 1 BTC, and don't get minimum 1 BTC back, you lose, capiche?

You can sell GPUs afterwards and recover some more monies invested, these become Fried Cat's novelty promo freebies come September when they are useless.

hmmm... This doesn't sound like the usual tone of Bitcoinorama, hijacked account?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:02:02 PM

1) You never calculate the price of BTC when considering ROI.  What if BTC goes to $200, $300, or even higher?  It seems all calculations assume ~$100 price forever and everyone's ultimate conclusion is that you could never make a profit.

2) I see 1.0 BTC price as a parity with available GPU's.  It seems that 1 BTC , ~$100 can not buy you 300MH/s of GPU power.  Doesn't that make this USB ASIC a better value than a GPU?  Let's forget spending $5-10k on a huge ASIC setup and getting more MH/s per $, I'm speaking for the little guys here who might have been contemplating adding more GPU's while BFL and other companies completely fail at shipping their ASICs.

hmmm... This doesn't sound like the usual tone of Bitcoinorama, hijacked account?

Noo, actually a bit pissed off today, lots of PM's all from people that don't and won't find easy answers themselves, or will contact people directly themselves that do have the answers. I should probably step away from the screen...Wink

That aside, this has nothing to do with that. USB eruptors are one huuuuge rip off for impatient people that have to buy an ASIC whatever the cost without thinking rationally. A graphics card has multiple uses and resale value once used. These don't and will never achieve ROI.

Current reasonable pricing is 0.3BTC and 10BTC for the blades, and that window of opportunity itself is reducing day by day.

dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:06:52 PM

I thought I'd ruffle some feathers with that post. In no particular order:

I already have public nodes on good bandwidth for helping others download the blockchain.  A fine suggestion I might add.

In the case of Jalapenos, if I could go back in time and buy more to have today, I would have.

Friedcat has been fairly responsible with his "dominance" if you think about it.  The competition will come soon enough.

Finally, if you made ROI years ago with CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAs, then ASIC USB sticks are an excellent way to spend some BTC if you choose.  They will definitely generate more BTC than a steak dinner.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
phorensic

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:37:00 PM

Finally, if you made ROI years ago with CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAs, then ASIC USB sticks are an excellent way to spend some BTC if you choose.  They will definitely generate more BTC than a steak dinner.
I fit in this category.  I made ROI a *long* time ago with my GPU's and have made a lot of profit off of them.  With the price reduction it now doesn't make any sense to buy GPU's.  I will buy one of these and run it for as long as I can until it burns out.  If that is as long as my GPU's have been running I'm pretty sure I can make my ROI.  If something happens and the difficulty drops, like it has in the past, and the price of BTC goes up, I could make a little bit of $$.  Hell, when I bought my GPU's I thought it might be 2 years before I could make my ROI, it turned out to be a month.
phorensic

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:38:31 PM

1) You never calculate the price of BTC when considering ROI.
This argument is flawed and has been proved wrong multiple times. You have to compare it to buying BTC and hoarding it.

It really show how clueless the buyers are.
The way I meant that is that the "you" was everyone else.  As in everyone else is not calculating the price of BTC when considering ROI.  Even the calculators I use on the websites don't let you put in a price increase in the BTC price.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:39:02 PM

I fit in this category.  I made ROI a *long* time ago with my GPU's and have made a lot of profit off of them.  With the price reduction it now doesn't make any sense to buy GPU's.  I will buy one of these and run it for as long as I can until it burns out.  If that is as long as my GPU's have been running I'm pretty sure I can make my ROI.  If something happens and the difficulty drops, like it has in the past, and the price of BTC goes up, I could make a little bit of $$.  Hell, when I bought my GPU's I thought it might be 2 years before I could make my ROI, it turned out to be a month.

Yes? When that happened and what GPUs did you buy? Please let us know so we can see what the difficulty was during that time, the exchange rate and how many coins you mined in 30 days.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:42:54 PM

Finally, if you made ROI years ago with CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAs, then ASIC USB sticks are an excellent way to spend some BTC if you choose.  They will definitely generate more BTC than a steak dinner.
I fit in this category.  I made ROI a *long* time ago with my GPU's and have made a lot of profit off of them.  With the price reduction it now doesn't make any sense to buy GPU's.  I will buy one of these and run it for as long as I can until it burns out.  If that is as long as my GPU's have been running I'm pretty sure I can make my ROI.  If something happens and the difficulty drops, like it has in the past, and the price of BTC goes up, I could make a little bit of $$.  Hell, when I bought my GPU's I thought it might be 2 years before I could make my ROI, it turned out to be a month.

Yes? When that happened and what GPUs did you buy? Please let us know so we can see what the difficulty was during that time, the exchange rate and how many coins you mined in 30 days.

Also model of GPU and thus todays resale value...

(Bearing in mind that same GPU would still cost x amount more to make than ASICminers $10/15 USB eruptor)

chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:43:09 PM

According to the http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ calculator, a block erupter USB will earn 1 BTC in 3-4 months based on the current levels of difficulty inflation.  Even if you plug in that difficulty will increase 20X in the next 12 months, it still shows a (tiny) profit after 10 months of operation.

This is not great, but it is dramatically outperforming ASICMINER stock, for example.

Why is everyone insisting that it will never show a profit?  Are you assuming difficulty will increase 100X in the next year?  Are you assuming power costs that are much higher than average?

If you want to mine, what else are you going to buy?  Place a BFL order and wait 6 months?  Buy a video card with terrible performance per watt?  I understand some people feel that mining is just a bad idea and buying and holding BTC is smarter, but if you are set on mining it seems to me that these USB are the best currently available option.

dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:07:15 PM

Well said.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
phorensic

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:10:14 PM

I bought two 5830's in May of 2011.  Fire off the calculations you guys are so eager to do, I'm genuinely interested to see how it compares to today's scenarios.

Since then I only added a 7970, but I also made my ROI on that pretty quick.  Can't remember when I bought it though, some time last year.  I stopped at ~800W of total power draw because I mine in my bedroom and I can't take any more heat in here in SoCal weather.  Another benefit of buying a THREE watt USB stick that has the same power as a couple hundred watt GPU.
phorensic

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:12:11 PM

According to the http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ calculator, a block erupter USB will earn 1 BTC in 3-4 months based on the current levels of difficulty inflation.  Even if you plug in that difficulty will increase 20X in the next 12 months, it still shows a (tiny) profit after 10 months of operation.

This is not great, but it is dramatically outperforming ASICMINER stock, for example.

Why is everyone insisting that it will never show a profit?  Are you assuming difficulty will increase 100X in the next year?  Are you assuming power costs that are much higher than average?

If you want to mine, what else are you going to buy?  Place a BFL order and wait 6 months?  Buy a video card with terrible performance per watt?  I understand some people feel that mining is just a bad idea and buying and holding BTC is smarter, but if you are set on mining it seems to me that these USB are the best currently available option.
The calculations I use put me in the ~128 day range.  I don't see that as a half bad investment.  I think a lot of people in this thread are get rich quick guys that think they can turn a profit day 1.  Even if the difficulty goes up in a parabolic curve, 1 year ROI isn't so bad either.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:13:33 PM

buying those is like buying $5 with $10
utterly retarded
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:16:53 PM

The calculations I use put me in the ~128 day range.  I don't see that as a half bad investment.  I think a lot of people in this thread are get rich quick guys that think they can turn a profit day 1.  Even if the difficulty goes up in a parabolic curve, 1 year ROI isn't so bad either.

I think you need to recheck your sums.

http://www.coindesk.com/exponential-leap-in-bitcoin-hash-rates/

I'm not getting those results and we haven't even remotely had what is around the corner enter the equation.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:26:59 PM

buying those is like buying $5 with $10
utterly retarded

heck, i'm not afraid to be thought retarded. heh. Ok, here is another way to look at it. Recreational Boat owners often say that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money in. Their ROI is in consumption and personal enjoyment.

So, i buy a few of these using $$$. I then write off the cost in the name of entertainment, a hobby. So i'm looking for no ROI. Now I'm starting to accumulate Bitcoins strictly for the cost of electricity. Some people may value these coins at current exchange rates, I don't. I value them at the cost of Elec. to produce them. I then use these relatively cheap coins to buy more miners, thus creating even more BTCs which i invest in more hardware. Notice, no longer spending $$$ except on Elec. By constantly plowing gains back in the Bitcoin Mine/Farm will continue to grow for the cost of Electricity. If at sometime in the future i decide i've grown too big, then I'll skim some coins to convert to $$$.

ROI? Who cares, I'm having fun.
chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 06:29:12 PM

I think you need to recheck your sums.

http://www.coindesk.com/exponential-leap-in-bitcoin-hash-rates/

I'm not getting those results and we haven't even remotely had what is around the corner enter the equation.

I quote your page:  "this shows an increase of 1111% YoY"

I quote myself: "if you plug in that difficulty will increase 20X in the next 12 months, it still shows a (tiny) profit after 10 months"

Do you know that a 1111% increase is smaller than a 20X increase?  Your page supports my post, it doesn't disprove it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: