Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:12:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] 'foo' and 'bar' coins--a "how-to" guide for cut+paste cryptocurrency  (Read 26788 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
shakezula (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:47:34 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 05:29:39 PM by shakezula

THIS IS NOT REALLY A NEW COIN TO MINE!!

Its actually a tutorial, step by step, with source code provided for two coins: foocoin is empty and ready to be customized; barcoin is the finished product of following the step by step guide found here:

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=scrypt_altcoin_cloning_guide&#how_to_clone_scrypt_based_altcoins_for_fun_and_profit

and knowing Devtome is a Wiki, here is an unfiltered .pdf version of the guide (will be updated as I add new items):

https://mega.co.nz/#!HFlzgCSb!SqWmpBux9BEUZwiX8o0XGGeEY08fPC76LdIIL91pQq0
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49exKIsGBn5ajhqSjJyVDR6STQ/edit?usp=sharing

Now a bit about the project in bullet points:

*Its based on Litecoin source, and uses examples found in the SmallChange repository

*Its not designed to be a primer on C or C++ programming, its a "change this and make it work" kind of guide

*The foocoin sources are customized to be as easy as possible to build on Mac, Linux, and Windows and the guide contains the steps needed to install the software and build each wallet.

*It is a tad tongue-in-cheek; the product of about a month's worth of reading and trial and error.

*I will not/can not do tech support for this; I've tried to compile as much info as I could and my experiences building GeoCoin and
Doubloons in to this guide. NEARLY all of the info came from other amazingly helpful people on this board--the rest is from trial and error, google, and various programming snippet websites. I am willing to have casual discussion about coins and coin creation though!

Foocoin Source: https://github.com/foocoin (blank, ready to be customized)
Barcoin Source: https://github.com/barcoin (really more for information and comparison)

I also took the time to build a pacakge of all the MinGW32 dependencies which can be retrieved via git and placed in c:\deps. The Foocoin source -qt.pro file is customized to look for these dependencies in c:\deps but the guide also shows you how to build them yourself and customize the -qt.pro file. The dependencies are here:

Foocoin MinGW32 Dependencies Bundle: https://github.com/foocoin/deps.git

Last but not least, I also included the Windows-Qt addins in another repository so you can bundle them with your newly made coins:

Foocoin Windows Qt Addins: https://github.com/foocoin/windows-qt-addins.git

Whew, ok, one last note--I haven't mastered the redistributable Mac-Qt yet, so consider that section a work in progress. Finally, please consider donating a few bits if you find this useful, my BTC and LTC addies are in my signature. This guide took me nearly 30 hours to compile and my wife would be ever so happy if something came of it  Cheesy
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:50:05 PM

Good work Smiley

Bitrated user: blastbob.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:54:53 PM

awesome work, i still hope doubloons will make it just for the name.

muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:55:44 PM

Made it in time
Baneroks

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:04:24 PM

Bye bye alt coins Smiley
featherman

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:09:26 PM

BTCye
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:21:35 PM

Good work Smiley

Now we just wait for you to compile qt and we can start mining barcoin against ops wishes Smiley
Tobius

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:22:10 PM

Oh, well this is nice. Thanks!

Hopefully this will put an end to people adopting random coins...Regardless of your opinion of them, this has been getting insane
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:22:17 PM

Made it in time

No you didn't. Meme coin was dead in the water even before this post.
Tobius

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:24:28 PM

Made it in time

For what? Another coin made for no particular reason? Tongue
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 05:32:31 PM

Thank you for this, we appreciate it

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Boxman90

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:42:16 PM

So you mined no genesis block for barcoin, right? Could we still do this now, or do you need access to the git to reup the source once you have mined the genesis block?

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
Tobius

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:44:08 PM

So you mined no genesis block for barcoin, right? Could we still do this now, or do you need access to the git to reup the source once you have mined the genesis block?
Why would he? The code is there for reference, not usage.
shakezula (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:44:45 PM

Barcoin is fully functional. Foocoin is empty. Barcoin is silly, but if you want to mine it, here's a windows wallet:

https://mega.co.nz/#!E4IQ0YQZ!fQ3aCRwtgtqSX27ChhK0pn3K575ZzSdRu4Zd5Okc6Ro

Know there are currently NO seed nodes for it though, so you'll have to compile it somewhere to bootstrap it. I can run the initial node for a bit if there's interest.

Edit ok there is, geesh you guys are desperate to mine. Seednode/addnode = 69.85.86.195
Boxman90

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:46:10 PM

I have compiled it on my linux box and am getting no connections indeed. So how can I become the seed node?

Edit// aight it's working now, but how could i have become the seednode if you hadn't done so?

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
Boxman90

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:53:14 PM

The node is down already so I'm just interested, could you tell how one can become a seednode?

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 05:54:23 PM

Can you point us to the defs for each of the options that are changed?

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
shakezula (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:57:44 PM

The node is down already so I'm just interested, could you tell how one can become a seednode?

Sorry, had to reboot--ran out of memory from a night of compiling. Go ahead, I will leave it up for a couple hours to let a few others get copies of the blockchain so if you REALLY want to mine/trade/whatever it, go ahead.

By the way, the 30 or so I already mined as a test are for sale, 1LTC each. Since there will ONLY BE 10K COINS, you better get in on it early!
shakezula (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:58:37 PM

Can you point us to the defs for each of the options that are changed?

The tutorial outlines every step needed with LINE numbers and src/page notation. If you want a master .diff, use this one:

https://github.com/bfroemel/smallchange/commit/947a0fafd8d033f6f0960c4ff0748f76a3d58326

It was a good starting point for me.
Tobius

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 05:59:10 PM

Sorry, had to reboot--ran out of memory from a night of compiling. Go ahead, I will leave it up for a couple hours to let a few others get copies of the blockchain so if you REALLY want to mine/trade/whatever it, go ahead.

By the way, the 30 or so I already mined as a test are for sale, 1LTC each. Since there will ONLY BE 10K COINS, you better get in on it early!

He asked HOW, not CAN. Tongue Speaking of which I'm interested in the process behind it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: