Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:14:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberty Reserve shutdown is a boost for Bitcoin?  (Read 12659 times)
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:38:12 AM

Guys look at silly coinseeker, back-pedalling, tl;dr'ing, denying his way out of a corner.  Grin Grin Grin 

The tl;dr is a amateur pro move; I didn't expect him to pull that one out, I'm soooo offended Wink
trepper

Activity: 89
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:44:44 AM

Actually the moment bitcoin has received the biggest increase of new users has been after cyprus.

Roll Eyes
Please, do not confuse co-incidence and causation ...

Quote from: telemaco
  For many people bitcoin is just an hedge against a financial system that is totally rotten and don't want to lose the money they earned.

An hedge against what???
For many people since april, bitcoin has been the best way to give away money to market manipulators and/or rogue trade service.
They just came From Charybde to Sylla  Grin

Quote from: telemaco

I doubt the crime money is a big percent on bitcoin. If that is not the case why didn't the criminals use bitcoin before the bubble or during 2010/11?

What exactly does make you think that criminals didn't use bitcoin before the bubble ?
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:29:17 AM

An hedge against what???
A hedge against never ending money printing of central banks and puppet governments. People need sound money for their retirement and health insurance.

What exactly does make you think that criminals didn't use bitcoin before the bubble ?
Criminals most use dollars for their criminal activities. Using bitcoins or Liberty Reserve for criminal activities is just a fraction of the criminal activities whose turnover is in dollars. Why don't you suspend all transactions in dollars?

In fact, a recent research found out that on every second pound bill in the UK there are traces of cocaine. Will you burn half of the banknotes in circulation?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:34:20 AM

An hedge against what???
A hedge against never ending money printing of central banks and puppet governments. People need sound money for their retirement and health insurance.

Criminals most use dollars for their criminal activities. Using bitcoins or Liberty Reserve for criminal activities is just a fraction of the criminal activities whose turnover is in dollars. Why don't you suspend all transactions in dollars?

In fact, a recent research found out that on every second pound bill in the UK there are traces of cocaine. Will you burn half of the banknotes in circulation?

Only 50%?  In the US it is closer to 97%.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:47:15 AM

An hedge against what???

Those who bought 200$/btc certainly agree with your last sentence...  Cheesy

If you've just discovered that criminal use money, good for you, but where did you read I want to suspend/burn anything?
The real question here is not "can criminal use btc?" but  "how much does dirty money flow influence btc price?"...
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:53:03 AM

An hedge against what???

Those who bought 200$/btc certainly agree with your last sentence...  Cheesy

Imagine what kind of mistake did those who bought coins at $32 in 2011, to then sell at a loss when they witnessed the slow decline to $2.

$200/BTC are cheap coins in the long run, if you didn't understand that you really don't know much about Bitcoin.

This is not a get-rich-quick scheme, it will be a bumpy ride but in the long term BTC will go either to +5 figures or to 0.

trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:27:46 AM

Imagine what kind of mistake did those who bought coins at $32 in 2011, to then sell at a loss when they witnessed the slow decline to $2.

$200/BTC are cheap coins in the long run, if you didn't understand that you really don't know much about Bitcoin.

Don't you think you mistake wish for knowledge ?
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:32:19 AM

but where did you read I want to suspend/burn anything?
You justify shutting down LR because it was used by criminals. All I'm asking is why don't you apply same logic to $$, because the dollar is indisputable leader as the currency of choice among criminal?

The real question here is not "can criminal use btc?" but  "how much does dirty money flow influence btc price?"...
The real question is if you regulate the dollar as a currency why did you allow some of the dollars become dirty dollars? If you can't prevent some dollars become dirty dollars how do you expect to prevent some bitcoins from becoming dirty bitcoins? And why are you so upset of bitcoin price appreciation?
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:40:19 AM

No, I don't.

trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:50:10 AM

but where did you read I want to suspend/burn anything?
You justify shutting down LR because it was used by criminals. All I'm asking is why don't you apply same logic to $$, because the dollar is indisputable leader as the currency of choice among criminal?

Can you start learning to read, or stop eating magical mushroom: I've never justified anything of this kind.
Quote me if you can...

The real question is if you regulate the dollar as a currency why did you allow some of the dollars become dirty dollars? If you can't prevent some dollars become dirty dollars how do you expect to prevent some bitcoins from becoming dirty bitcoins? And why are you so upset of bitcoin price appreciation?

Huh
You have the bad habit to argue with your own imagination.

So, no,  I'm not upset, and I've never stated to be the (big) one that can allow (or prevent) money to become dirty  Cheesy
I just asked how much dirty money flow impact btc price
Does this question upset you?
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:52:24 AM

No, I don't.

Very good argument  Cheesy
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:08:45 AM

No, I don't.

As much as I love Bitcoin, it isn't all just sunshine and rainbows. You are running a risk it will decline in not only the short term, but the long run. Who's to say a far superior crypto currency won't take over tomorrow? What if the US government some how found out a way to shut down Bitcoin next week.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:14:03 AM

No, I don't.

My argument is based on a) past history, and thus facts and b) hard math about the growth potential of Bitcoin.

If you think $200/BTC is expensive... Then you do not know enough about both past Bitcoin history and its potential.

Hope you are not going to be the weak hands that tremble in case we suddenly cash below $30. If you sell you will regret your move in just a few years.

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:17:44 AM

So, no,  I'm not upset
Fine. So, enjoy your profitable investment!

If clean money are ahead of the dirty money, there is nothing to worry about. If dirty money are ahead of the clean money, well then the dirty money proved to be clever than clean one and the latter should have learned their lesson. Either case is good for Bitcoin!
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:26:35 AM

My argument is based on a) past history, and thus facts and b) hard math about the growth potential of Bitcoin.

A wise man should know one thing: the limits of his knowledge...

If you think $200/BTC is expensive... Then you do not know enough about both past Bitcoin history and its potential.

I don't think (and never said) it's expensive or cheap.
I've just asked if those who bought 200$/btc can really feel they've got "sound money for their retirement and health insurance".

Hope you are not going to be the weak hands that tremble in case we suddenly cash below $30. If you sell you will regret your move in just a few years.

Hope or wish?
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:31:02 AM

I've just asked if those who bought 200$/btc can really feel they've got "sound money for their retirement and health insurance".
Your question was answered several times. Yes, they can!
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:33:44 AM

Your question was answered several times. Yes, they can!

Maybe you think so.
Unfortunately, you often seems to hear imaginary voices  Grin
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:42:11 AM

Unfortunately, you often seems to hear imaginary voices  Grin
At least you have understood what people do hedge against while buying bitcoins. That is a progress too.
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:43:52 AM

If you have not heard the news yet, Liberty Reserve has been shut down http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22680297

This is bullish news for Bitcoins. Not only is there now one less competitor to bitcoins, but this shows one more time why a decentralized payment network is much more resilient than a centralized one. This also shows how aggressive governments can be, so it is even more important to have your money in a place you control, one which will not get shut down by police.

Is this as big as the Cyprus thing? No, because it affects fewer people, but it is just one more thing in a long line of acts which the government is doing which will ultimately push people into using Bitcoins.

+1000

As the balance of power continues to shift towards the elite, one must attempt to protect their own interests.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
trepper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:46:59 AM

At least you have understood what people do hedge against while buying bitcoins.

Not really  Cheesy

Can you try again to explain me with your own words (I mean words you can understand the meaning)?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: