Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:59:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU RIG FRAME  (Read 2555 times)
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 10:44:55 AM

all you fools using wood for frames is just dumb, you do realize your giving your rig the ability to start a fire if something goes wrong. last time I checked wood makes good fire starter metal does not. and to those that use a full shelf that's not all that smart cause when you have to move said shelf you have to take off all the hardware, unless your going to move it with the hardware on it and take a chance to damage something like an idiot, id swear society is getting more and more stupid with each passing day, sure wood is cheaper than a lot of metal, but it poses risks, if anyone who has seen what happens when things go horribly wrong they know, and likely do not use wood frames. only takes 1 part to malfunction in such a way you lose it all because yall were just too careless to put some actual thought into the crafting of your frames, ya can blame no one but yourself

You sound like you have no clue what you are talking about. If your machines are creating enough heat to set a wood frame on fire then you have already melted your hardware your hardware. Also, pretty sure no one with enough equipment to require a full rack is going to just be moving shit around all the time. The best part is how you complain about society getting more stupid when you are the one saying the stupid shit.

yet your the one making an assumption that ive had rigs burn, which might I add I have not. I'm more careful than that, learn from other peoples mistakes. heat has nothing to do with it. most rigs are using 100+amps of dc which is more than enough to start a fire if somewhere were to malfunction, and yeah its real stupid that I don't use wood a friggin fire starter for crying out loud as a frame, so yeah I have no clue what I'm talking about except its clearly not me we are talking about here, its you. maybe you need to have a rig catch fire to see the real dangers of using a wooden frame, especially when you are putting not just yourself in harms way but others that possibly live there too with you, that's real smart

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 10:56:58 AM

all you fools using wood for frames is just dumb, you do realize your giving your rig the ability to start a fire if something goes wrong. last time I checked wood makes good fire starter metal does not. and to those that use a full shelf that's not all that smart cause when you have to move said shelf you have to take off all the hardware, unless your going to move it with the hardware on it and take a chance to damage something like an idiot, id swear society is getting more and more stupid with each passing day, sure wood is cheaper than a lot of metal, but it poses risks, if anyone who has seen what happens when things go horribly wrong they know, and likely do not use wood frames. only takes 1 part to malfunction in such a way you lose it all because yall were just too careless to put some actual thought into the crafting of your frames, ya can blame no one but yourself

Tell that to retard that made metal frame that got himself killed, because unlike wood, metal actually conducts electricity

only retard here buddy is yourself and maybe that guy that got killed by electrocution lol, properly set up metal framed rig isn't going to do that, aluminum is a horrible conductor, while it still can, its a horrible conductor, now if steel was used now that lol could pose an issue. you happen to know what kind of material he used? chances are I bet steel was used aluminum with as much dc amps as were using would prolly melt the aluminum, ac same thing, aluminum doesn't handle current very well lol hence why it was used in houses for such a short period of time back in the day:D but hey you go ahead with a wooden frame to each there own lol, rig fires aint no joke, last I checked people have ALOT of them in there HOMES, all your doing is giving it fuel to burn better and hotter. also with the guy that died there is no way to know the whole story, for all you know he was careless and didn't check or do something before touching it or any other number of various reasons why it happened

I suggest you take some aluminium and go touch 220V, so we get rid of your stupid comments, lol
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:16:08 PM

You sound like you have no clue what you are talking about. If your machines are creating enough heat to set a wood frame on fire then you have already melted your hardware your hardware. Also, pretty sure no one with enough equipment to require a full rack is going to just be moving shit around all the time. The best part is how you complain about society getting more stupid when you are the one saying the stupid shit.

yet your the one making an assumption that ive had rigs burn, which might I add I have not. I'm more careful than that, learn from other peoples mistakes. heat has nothing to do with it. most rigs are using 100+amps of dc which is more than enough to start a fire if somewhere were to malfunction, and yeah its real stupid that I don't use wood a friggin fire starter for crying out loud as a frame, so yeah I have no clue what I'm talking about except its clearly not me we are talking about here, its you. maybe you need to have a rig catch fire to see the real dangers of using a wooden frame, especially when you are putting not just yourself in harms way but others that possibly live there too with you, that's real smart

I'm not sure why you are so adamant against people using wood for frames.  Just let them all burn their houses down which means more hashing for you?  Roll Eyes
BeerMan81

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 05:50:01 AM

We made our own dowels from $3 2x4s

Lots of new content coming soon! - https://www.youtube.com/BeerMan81
All-in-one dashboard to monitor coin prices, wallet balances, and your ming pools. Free!
https://mycryptostats.com/?ref=f1440f27
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 06:23:18 AM

It looks cool BeerMan81! But is it better if you arrange these 12 GPUs in 1 column?
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:40:27 AM

U should use an open air kitchen rack, found at any restaurant supply store, these home depot storage racks don't allow any vertical ventilation?? R U crazy?

Should be wire rack, should have 50cm  fans at the end of every rack, and small fans ( 12v 10cm ) in front of every two cards,

These days you can buy chinese aluminum grade rigs that support 12 cards for $30, the restarurant racks that support 500LB are about $60, they will support 4 RIGS at 30 cm each tall, about 50 for each rack elevation, the restaurant racks allow adjustable setting every 4 cm

Power rack with 220v circult, don't use 110v, all power supplys  made in CHINA and come with 220v/110v switch, but the fans ( cmd fans are blowing right left to right on each level ) may be 110 wher you live, and your network switches too may be 110v, this is why its probably better u live in china, russia, or austrailia, only cave-men use 110v

If your using windows your a loser,

Real men use linux Smiley
bostonvex

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 02:27:19 PM

U should use an open air kitchen rack, found at any restaurant supply store, these home depot storage racks don't allow any vertical ventilation?? R U crazy?

Should be wire rack, should have 50cm  fans at the end of every rack, and small fans ( 12v 10cm ) in front of every two cards,

These days you can buy chinese aluminum grade rigs that support 12 cards for $30, the restarurant racks that support 500LB are about $60, they will support 4 RIGS at 30 cm each tall, about 50 for each rack elevation, the restaurant racks allow adjustable setting every 4 cm

Power rack with 220v circult, don't use 110v, all power supplys  made in CHINA and come with 220v/110v switch, but the fans ( cmd fans are blowing right left to right on each level ) may be 110 wher you live, and your network switches too may be 110v, this is why its probably better u live in china, russia, or austrailia, only cave-men use 110v

If your using windows your a loser,

Real men use linux Smiley

Pictures please.
ramarval

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:18:43 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2017, 04:54:24 PM by ramarval

hi guys, I'm new around here but i wanted to show the rig I've built and I'm open to any suggestion to make em better.

they are built in aluminum and allow Full customization.
Can be build to accommodate from 1 to 28 cards with 15cm between cards
Fan grids are optional just in case u will use them.
total cost of the rig is 16 USD

https://imgur.com/a/t1xeg

Thanks, hopes its ok.

umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:39:36 PM

Looks good. Would like to see full install. Where will you place MoBo and PSU? And how do you plan to organize the ventilation of the rigs? 36 GPUs is great setup

FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:49:37 PM

I started with wooden frames but "graduated" into using garage shelves like this:

I added some thin, wood back supports (red lines) with holes or screws on the top so that I can quickly "hang" or remove the cards (blue) if needed.

The bottom supports are to keep the cards steady.

Mobo/PSU are on the slabs - you can even make them half slabs or fix them without the slabs for more airflow.

Easy to make, makes it very easy to disassemble/troubleshoot rigs and the airflow is great, you can put them in front of each other so that one big fan can blow through more of them. And you can easily decide how many cards you want to put on a shelf, how much space you want between cards.
That's a good idea I was looking at those shelves at home depot yesterday $50 not to bad and your idea for the supports are quick and easy
BeerMan81

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 10:20:27 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2017, 10:43:18 PM by BeerMan81

Looks good. Would like to see full install. Where will you place MoBo and PSU? And how do you plan to organize the ventilation of the rigs? 36 GPUs is great setup

Thanks! That was just a drop in the bucket! I made a whole post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2373161.0;all

Here is a pic of the first prototype frame that I built. It was not very sturdy. The two layer setup was designed around the shelves that we have (24x36 in) So, there were constraints. What is key is to consider what  direction the screws need to go in. You can clearly see the placement of the GPUs around the mobo and PSUs. The video is the final version!

All-in-one dashboard to monitor coin prices, wallet balances, and your ming pools. Free!
GeePeeU

Activity: 538
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:21:45 PM

What was the total cost of the frame so far?

Always doubt.
ramarval

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:13:51 PM

Hello guys, here i have updated pics on the new frame ive made, cost is around 15 to 16 USD.

https://imgur.com/a/9JV1m

72 cm long
62 cm high
42 cm depth

any suggestion, tip or critics are welcome to improve the product.

Thanks in advance
cheers
BeerMan81

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 10:24:51 PM

Here is the tour of the full project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzhg0OhwZpg

Here is the link to the full thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2373161.0

I spent a little time making a video https://youtu.be/A8fv8xqT0to (still learning the ropes on that) Huh on how to build a 12 GPU Mining Rig Frame. The total cost is around $4. Below are the dimensions as requested. Feel free to check out the video too. I am starting a small series detailing how to build a rig from the beginning!

My dad cut the lengths of strips at the beginning of our shed project. So the pieces of wood are not square, they are rectangular. The ideal dimensions are as follows:

• QTY 2 of 30 1/4" x 3/4" x 3/4"
  • QTY 2 of 28 1/2" x 3/4" x 3/4"
  • QTY 2 of 12 1/2" x 3/4" x 3/4"
  • QTY 2 of 2 7/8" x 3/4" x 3/4"
  • QTY 4 of 7 1/2" x 3/4" x 3/4"

bdiddle

Activity: 75

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:44:27 PM

High voltage electricity will use wood as insulators. Not sure why some of ya'll are freaking out about "fire".

Much lower risk of shorting something out using a wood frame as well.
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 11:50:58 PM

High voltage electricity will use wood as insulators. Not sure why some of ya'll are freaking out about "fire".

You mean ceramic materials as isolator right?
bdiddle

Activity: 75

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 12:11:05 AM

You mean ceramic materials as isolator right?

From wiki:

"Large power transformer windings are still mostly insulated with paper, wood, varnish, and mineral oil; although these materials have been used for more than 100 years, they still provide a good balance of economy and adequate performance."
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:10:31 AM

Hi there, i ordered all of the stuff, i need to make good rig frame or wood preferable,

i have 6 1060 cards, any one with measurements can help, an hp 1200w server psu and a biostar tb85 mobo

can someone guide, thank you

If youre only making a 6 card rig then you might want to take a look at this easy to make frame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkkVQdTgof8&t=5s

Total cost to build when I did it was around $25.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:35:04 AM

i was selling it last year

https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FoHujivF.jpg&t=584&c=UO80tqV8ZLeePw
djsneaks123

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 06:57:56 PM

what screw size did you use to screw in the risers to the fram?
are those spacers needed that are attached to the risers?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: