Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:19:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of using Slack in ICO campaigns!  (Read 1298 times)
bongiu

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 01:11:44 AM

To be honest I've always had problems since day one of using Slack, Telegram it's 1000 times better. Plus, if you let Slack to do it, they'll spam the hell out of you  Angry Angry
bulldog1234

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 02:43:07 AM

We faced a problem with our Lordmancer II Slack channel. There were many scam messages every day: in private, in general channels, etc. We constantly banned those spammers, but they just registered once again (even the names were the same!). Also each day we saw new members with names like "CEO", "cofounder", etc.

Finally we dicided to close the Slack channel. Now we use Telegram group https://t.me/lm2ico as a main communication channel.

I strongly recommend not to use Slack for ICO campaigns!

Telegram is much better imo.
Lordmancer (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 101

We make a game with real cryptoeconomy

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 03:15:56 AM

Well, what's the purpose of asking members from bitcointalk to third party apps like slack and telegram is something I cannot figure out. Have seen a lot of ICO asking to join their channel, but what prevents them from corresponding with participants in this forum itself, which would have been more transparent?

Different channels have different purposes. The forum is good, but to be honest it is quite old school. People outside bitcointalk will not join it for an ICO.

Lordmancer II — MMORPG on mobile with cryptocurrency
■■■ Google PlayiOS betaDiscord ■■■
Website ~ Telegram ~ FB ~ ANN ~ Twitter
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 08:32:57 AM

Well, what's the purpose of asking members from bitcointalk to third party apps like slack and telegram is something I cannot figure out. Have seen a lot of ICO asking to join their channel, but what prevents them from corresponding with participants in this forum itself, which would have been more transparent?

Different channels have different purposes. The forum is good, but to be honest it is quite old school. People outside bitcointalk will not join it for an ICO.
Sure sign crypto wants to expand above it's current reach.

There is a lot of Twitter activity surrounding crypto - just that medium is strange. Limited single purpose, unsuited for any dialogues more along a constant stream of announcements. Google Wave survived, now maintained by the Apache Software Foundation. Porting the old forum data onto something new could prove to be next to impossible. Wave would be pretty much up to date.
rudox

Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 09:16:15 AM

Thanks for the information. Can the owner of slack messaging software take it down since slack is already compromised.This will help to forestall further compromising other people ether wallets.
johnsm79

Activity: 224

trade.io - Join the Trading Revolution

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 10:20:47 AM

Those using slack are in a large volnurability pitfall.

This was a sample from a scammer i received today:

Hi John,
You have a new direct message from the BlackmoonCrypto workspace (blackmooncrypto.slack.com).

@kukurigu77 View in the archives

Carol P. Janes 8:17 AM, September 19th
**Important Notification from the ICO Security team**

Please be advised that we had some problems with the Ethereum based Token smart contracts.
We decided that the best way to solve the problem is to fork the Smart Contracts.

It was a simple process and everything worked out without issues.
We implemented a seamless procedure to update the smart contract using an automatic process through MyEtherWallet services.

Please visit https://myetherwalletsignin.com/#view-wallet-info to unlock your wallet and follow the instructions on their website.

Failure to do so may result in loss of your tokens.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
The ICO Security team

---

I get these every day, and am only registered in one Slack channel.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  TRADE.IO       ║     WHITEPAPER  •  ANN THREAD  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE TRADING REVOLUTION
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Lordmancer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 10:39:05 AM

Those using slack are in a large volnurability pitfall.

This was a sample from a scammer i received today:

Hi John,
You have a new direct message from the BlackmoonCrypto workspace (blackmooncrypto.slack.com).

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
The ICO Security team

---

I get these every day, and am only registered in one Slack channel.

I think it is better to hide the link in your message! Otherwise someone can occasionally click it!

bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 11:40:52 AM

This isn't just slack, I have had a few instances of this occurring in telegram channels, and its become a pain in the ass to ban these scammers and also delete their messages.

Telegram does protect against this though.

They basically misspell a letter in myetherwallet.com in order to steal the private keys of an individual, for example, someone would replace e with a c, making myethcrwallet.com
I am not sure about other site. I often received spam from slack authoreon that contains security issues with mew. In fact it is phising site that they want to steal your eth and token in your wallet. Never click the link and better to stop the subscribe mail in your email service.
Dot99lr

Activity: 202

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:43:19 PM

No matter what the medium is, there will always be scammers. Don't ever click on any links, start a new thread to support if you get a direct message from anyone, never give out your private keys. 
Lordmancer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 07:00:28 PM

No matter what the medium is, there will always be scammers. Don't ever click on any links, start a new thread to support if you get a direct message from anyone, never give out your private keys. 

Good advice!

kandholabhavna

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:01:22 PM

Appreantely its not only you but all the Slack channels I am part of are being hit by scammers. There should be a way to stop this else Slack will loose a lot of customers.

Lordmancer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 07:05:49 PM

Appreantely its not only you but all the Slack channels I am part of are being hit by scammers. There should be a way to stop this else Slack will loose a lot of customers.

I think that Slack is considered to be a good tool for a team. But it works badly in case of external communications with a community.

qchain

Activity: 31

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:17:29 PM

We faced a problem with our Lordmancer II Slack channel. There were many scam messages every day: in private, in general channels, etc. We constantly banned those spammers, but they just registered once again (even the names were the same!). Also each day we saw new members with names like "CEO", "cofounder", etc.

Finally we dicided to close the Slack channel. Now we use Telegram group https://t.me/lm2ico as a main communication channel.

Good to see some negative sentiment building for the usage of Slack in the crypto world. Slack is great for some things, like Internal team communication of a larger company, but I don't know how it got so popular for cryptocurrency. Channels can become a nightmare to sort through, and the lack of tying things to a phone number makes mass creation of accounts even easier. Decided to not get a company Slack early on, because the moderation appeared like too much of a nightmare.
5ensei

Activity: 728
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:22:55 PM

Quite annoying when you sign up to receive updates via slack and someone is spamming telling you to click this link and change myetherwallet. Some people actually do it and then realise it is a scam after

Telegram ❒◀           █▆▅▃▂    GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain    ▂▃▅▆█        Whitepaper❒◀
             Twitter❒◀               The world's first complete decentralized location-based services infrastructure            Facebook❒◀
chaser15
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1065

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 10:12:21 PM

Used the Slack it or not, participants must know that there are obvious scams. It was part of the money making system now and never it will gone. Not just in Slack but almost every platform where lots of people are engaging.

What users must do is to used their working mind and knows the obvious one. Since they engaged in ICO campaign, Im sure majority of it does have an idea about obvious shit like phishing attempt or any kind of fraudulent activites.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
CrypticGambit

Activity: 280

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 10:15:20 PM

I hate slack it is so easy for hackers to scam people... There should be some kind of decentralised chat

Simss

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 03:48:29 AM

thanks to this very important information, but I think the spammers on the slack channel are coming more and more not just on Lordmancer II channels, spammers are starting to spread to other slack altcoins channels.
Lordmancer (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2017, 04:00:40 AM

I hate slack it is so easy for hackers to scam people... There should be some kind of decentralised chat

Why do you think it should be decentralised?

aer0

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:17:51 AM

Slack is clearly not the right tool, and Telegram is not the right replacement to Slack - it's more of a stream of conciseness.  No way to participate in groups. 

I've seen Rocket Chat used by one group and Discord was just mentioned.  Others in the space seem to be Ryver and Mattermost. 

I wonder if Kik would be able to be good for this?
WoodySpoon

Activity: 58

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:09:22 AM

Or better yet, don't click on links from non trusted sources.

Slack doesn't force you to open the links - be smarter with your money.

If a deal sounds to good to be true, it most likely is.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: