Bitcoin Forum
October 15, 2024, 03:09:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jump in Ethereum difficulty (+20%)  (Read 5522 times)
frankbuse

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2017, 05:07:55 PM

@Vann Thanks for Your insights.
I switched  from eth to etc/decred last month, but yesterday I switched to zcash 6x rx580 Total 1800 hs
I am very curious what the profit of eth will become after byzanthium, I do know power usage mining zcash is down by 30% 👍👍
rodyw

Activity: 378
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 07:14:04 PM

It's really hard to get mining Eth profitable with the current difficulty  Sad

UnknownX

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 07:48:28 PM

Yep, time to think where to move your hash power.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
marthor

Activity: 60

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 08:21:27 PM

Wait. Difficulty reflects reward share of single miner to overall emission. If we have 20% difficulty increase each month over last 5 months, now miners get only 48% of emissed eth.

WHO TAKES THE REST 52% OF MINED ETH NOW? VITALICK?

Jesus dude, no one gets those "secret coins"  as they do not exist.

One could argue that the Ethereum devs are effectively getting more coins because their relative holdings are increasing (or decreasing at a slower rate, to be pedantic). Either way, this is a win for Eth devs and a loss for miners. 
dave4925

Activity: 134
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:38:04 PM

It's the ice age over time.  Difficulty increases exponentially with hashrate increase.  It also reduces by less when it adjusts to a lower hashrate.  Block rewards decrease from 25 to eventually 3.  This has been resulting in block times almost doubling this year.
It really is hitting hard today.  It will not get better, until maybe the hard fork on October 9 where it should set back the ice age difficulty bomb.  The intention is to phase out PoW when Casper PoS is implemented.

1BTcdaveJEX8SrLb62YSLY7r3W9P8XQYBN
newfulluser

Activity: 267

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:52:32 PM

Byzantium update coming
  • Byzantium releasing October 17th at block 4,370,000
  • Mining rewards to increase ~23% from current levels at that time due to difficulty bomb delay
  • 3GB Mining cards good on ETH until ~12-13th November 2018 (13.5months)
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/71xfvi/byzantium_update_from_dev_call_and_3gb_mining/

By November 2018 no one is going to be mining ethereum unless the price is so fucking high and the electricity is cheap enough.
I hope we will be able to stake it by then.
newfulluser

Activity: 267

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 09:55:26 PM

Well I haven't noticed a huge decrease in earnings, only if you look back to for example april you realize that mining several eth per month with a 6gpu rig was normal back then.
sevenmiles

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 11:07:06 PM

Ethereum Core Dev team is implementing Metropolis Byzantium
https://np.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6ywlxg/update_from_todays_ethereum_core_dev_call_for/
, which will:
Metropolis Byzantium hits testnet on September 18th
Difficulty Bomb on September 22nd will reduce current income by approximately 20%
Metropolis Byzantium go live on October 9th (not a final date, subject to change)
Mining rewards will increase by approximately 23% after Metropolis Byzantium goes live

A group of miners, investors, developers (mainly in China??not confirmed) believed that Ethereum Core Dev team will hurt their interests:
http://www.cahf.co/
So they planned a hardfork:
"This plan is for Community Activated Hard Fork, or CAHF. You can find technical specs here: https://github.com/CAHF/Ethereum-CAHF

CAHF will be activated “right before” Byzantium HF. We will update the specific time ASAP when the blockstamp of Byzantium hardfork is updated.

CAHF chain will follow and fork existing rules of the Ethereum’s main-chain, except for issuance reduction and POS. We will maintain our POW chain which will be the Ethereum-POW chain (when Ethereum hardforks to POS).

Despite of maintaining “large” network of cryptocurrency costs lots of human resources and other consumption, we will issue 10% of pre-mine inflation for “Develop and ‘storing value’” stake. (This will be 1% inflation of total supply)

Once we mine our stake ‘privately’ and check that there is no further problem on the chain, we will make our repository ‘public’ and release our CAHF geth node. (Will be updated to our twitter account)

Our CAHF developers are serious for monetary policy of CAHF chain therefore we decided CAHF’s total supply approx. 1 billion. When CAHF chain issued total 5 hundred million, we will halve the issuance to 2.5. This decision is from that “Ethereum is not an asset, is a currency”.

We share the same belief with some very early Ethereumers, that decentralization means that more than 1 billion people in 200 countries are using Ethereum as a saving currency and payment network, which comprises of hundreds of thousands of Ethereum services, traders, exchanges and software to be decentralized. We do not believe that decentralization means a decrease of issuance so there will be no more inflation before POS change or change to POS so some accounts that has larger volume of Ethereum takes most of issuance than who doesn’t."

rodyw

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 10:50:23 AM

It's really hard to get mining Eth profitable with the current difficulty  Sad

Well I haven't noticed a huge decrease in earnings, only if you look back to for example april you realize that mining several eth per month with a 6gpu rig was normal back then.

Ok, but with the current difficulty, my hashrate (90Mh/s) and my wattage the earnings are about $1,50 a day!  Huh

Sev18

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 11:02:04 AM

Ethereum difficulty bomb.. let's see would Byz fork solve this.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
rodyw

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 11:48:30 AM

Yeah, but that's in about three weeks. I sure hope it's going to solve the current difficulty, in the meantime i'm going to mine something else.

Rody81

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:18:59 PM

Yeah, but that's in about three weeks. I sure hope it's going to solve the current difficulty, in the meantime i'm going to mine something else.

Same here.  I was planning on holding out and just sticking to ETH since I figured a lot of miners would jump ship, but after looking at the numbers and what else is out there I am going to switch.  I have a 7 card gtx 1070 rig and a 7 card gtx 1060 6gb rig, so I am thinking of mining either ZCash, Vertcoin or Ubiq.  Either way I am planning on holding the coins for a while to get greater gains.
varusisog

Activity: 123
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 01:41:32 PM

Same here.  I was planning on holding out and just sticking to ETH since I figured a lot of miners would jump ship, but after looking at the numbers and what else is out there I am going to switch.  I have a 7 card gtx 1070 rig and a 7 card gtx 1060 6gb rig, so I am thinking of mining either ZCash, Vertcoin or Ubiq.  Either way I am planning on holding the coins for a while to get greater gains.

I agree with mining those coins. They might rise a lot later.
rodyw

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 06:23:40 PM

Difficulty was going down to 2645 so I was hoping the bomb was over, but unfortunately it's going back to 3000 again.

slovakia

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 06:52:18 PM

i love this bombs
i hope that all naive miners will be jumping from ETH to VTC .. im waiting with my 10400 VTC mined 4years before, VTC to the moon  Kiss

dave4925

Activity: 134
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 12:52:51 AM

i love this bombs
i hope that all naive miners will be jumping from ETH to VTC .. im waiting with my 10400 VTC mined 4years before, VTC to the moon  Kiss
They will probably go to ZCash first I think.

1BTcdaveJEX8SrLb62YSLY7r3W9P8XQYBN
rodyw

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 09:31:30 AM

i love this bombs
i hope that all naive miners will be jumping from ETH to VTC .. im waiting with my 10400 VTC mined 4years before, VTC to the moon  Kiss

Whattomine shows me a negative result for mining VTC  Wink. So I don't think people will switch to mining VTC

davemanet

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 06:11:13 AM

Byzantium update coming
  • Byzantium releasing October 17th at block 4,370,000
  • Mining rewards to increase ~23% from current levels at that time due to difficulty bomb delay
  • 3GB Mining cards good on ETH until ~12-13th November 2018 (13.5months)
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/71xfvi/byzantium_update_from_dev_call_and_3gb_mining/

Hi Matthev, thanks for the info.  It says "After October 17th, we should see our mining rewards improve by approximately 23% from what it is after this latest difficulty bomb adjustment.".  Do you have any idea how long this will last?  I'm trying to estimate profits.  I just dont want to be surprised with another dip by 20% later... any idea?
sir4o

Activity: 67

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 08:40:24 AM

Wait. Difficulty reflects reward share of single miner to overall emission. If we have 20% difficulty increase each month over last 5 months, now miners get only 48% of emissed eth.

WHO TAKES THE REST 52% OF MINED ETH NOW? VITALICK?
Vitalick, his girlfriend and his friends, constant parties and gaming Smiley
Mr.Hush

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 10:20:24 AM

I am totally agree with difficulty bomb! But only with the proportional price increase  Cool 400 usd/Eth is good enough for current difficulty.

Am I right?  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: