Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:51:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Watching amateur finance types flail  (Read 35305 times)
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:42:21 PM

That has got to be the worst site I have seen since Netscape 1.0 was still cutting edge.  
What is with the terrible graphic at the left top?  This site just screams financial professionalism to me... Roll Eyes
Really I think that site should be taken down. Whos with me? Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:42:48 PM

an MMORPG

why does everyone make this mistake when it's clearly a

Because they're reading the letters in their head: "em em oh are pee gee".  So it's "an em ..."

See also "an RPG" (About 4,350,000 Google results) vs. "a RGP" (About 2,380,000 results).

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:46:14 PM

Why not put this into simple words?
I guess this video sums up all that site's content in 20 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3acvz5LfI&feature=related

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:49:24 PM

Dear Mr. Nagle,

I am not a financial expert, but like many here on this forum, I do have a lot of experience and knowledge in IT.

While your credentials and financial advice may be sound, as others have pointed out, your current website seriously discredits you. From the color scheme to the layout, it screams amateur and unprofessional. If you want people to take you seriously, it would be in your best interest to have someone fix it for you.

On to the matter of your post contents, if what you say is true, why would you bother to register on these forums and deign to even give an opinion to the Bitcoin community? I think we all have a hard time believing that you are doing it out of some notion of altruism toward your fellow man.

I think most of us here like Bitcoin, minus the occasional troll, and I wonder if you fall into the latter category. It's about more than just the economics. It's about the technology and the ideals that could potentially move us forward into something new and exciting.

If you don't want a part of it, please leave. No one will be sad to see you go. We probably won't be visiting your site anytime soon either Wink

Sincerely,
One Bitcoin Community Member

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:55:08 PM

Against!
I like to see mid 90's early frontpage-like sites. It reminds me of a time when I was much younger  Grin
(Missing my SEGA GameGear now... sigh!  Cry )

EDIT: If I've to point a flaw, is the site to not have several marquees (a LOT of them) saying stuff like «visit us» or «look! this text moves!»... would improve it a lot.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:57:40 PM

I hear bitcoin bubble!? It's time for a bitcoin bubble comicCheesy

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 09:03:22 PM

Can we get some price graphs on other things that people thought were money that turned out to be ponzi schemes? I'd like to compare.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 09:11:07 PM

"First, it looks like a bubble."

Yeah, it looks like a bubble. Until you learn about it and realize it's not.

"Second, Bitcoin is supposed to be a currency, but it's actually a speculative vehicle."

Actually, it's both. Just like dollars, gold, etc.

"Third, the organizations in Bitcoin's ecology are very flaky."

I totally agree there. Opportunities abound.
ttul

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:12:40 PM

This is a zero-sum game. If you've been in the game for half an hour and you don't know who the patsy is, you're the patsy.

I for one think that having my public keys lodged in the most elegant mathematical structure ever created by mankind is worth something.
tavi

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:15:38 PM

John N -- you've got great insights into the world of finance & trading it seems.

So please help us wrest control of money away from the elites (AKA power hungry bloodthirsty homicidal maniacs).
Bitcoin seems to be the only solution to this persistent problem.
Got anything better? Any other ideas?

You're thinking of Bitcoin as the modern equivalent of "the free and unlimited coinage of silver". (Read up on the Free Silver movement.) That was a different problem, though. That period had a growing economy with a fixed money supply tied to gold. The result was severe deflation. That's not the problem in the current US economy.
I wasn't clear enough, it seems that the Free Silver Movement was interested in inflation, legislative control and dictating the monetary policy to its liking. I'm quite the opposite.

At this point in time, every nation-state has a central bank backed by a ruthless punitive apparatus, in order to enforce its monopoly on money (medium of exchange & store of value) on its subjects.
Bitcoin seems to be the only thing that could drive those central banks into obscurity if possible, or destroy if necessary. By enabling common folks to interact with each other without the overlords.
Globally accepted, non-inflationary, free of customs controls, ruled by no one -- it's a thing of beauty!
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:17:46 PM

Against!
I like to see mid 90's early frontpage-like sites. It reminds me of a time when I was much younger  Grin
(Missing my SEGA GameGear now... sigh!  Cry )

EDIT: If I've to point a flaw, is the site to not have several marquees (a LOT of them) saying stuff like «visit us» or «look! this text moves!»... would improve it a lot.

yep, definitely needs more animated gifs, scrolling banners and "click here" buttons.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:18:26 PM

Can we get some price graphs on other things that people thought were money that turned out to be ponzi schemes? I'd like to compare.
XLF, for one.
tavi

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:21:32 PM

Lol, I don't do drugs Smiley.
And if I did I wouldn't buy them from silk road.  Roll Eyes

Maybe if they had invented Zoloft back then is a more plausible sollution than BTC preventing the holocaust.  I mean seriously.  Bitcoin wouldn't have prevented paintings, jewelry, real estate, and many other things from being confiscated.

It just makes you look not only ignorant of BitCoin, but really shows you have absolutely no knowledge of what the holocaust entailed.
Actually yes, inflation played a significant part in the rise of Third Reich.
So having access to non-inflationary common currency could've prevented a lot of misery.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 09:24:16 PM

n/m

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
andes

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:31:56 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2011, 09:59:30 PM by andes

That has got to be the worst site I have seen since Netscape 1.0 was still cutting edge.  
What is with the terrible graphic at the left top?  This site just screams financial professionalism to me... Roll Eyes

Take note of the last post in his amateurish blog, called:

"20011-06-11 - Bitcoin looks like a Ponzi scheme"

Wow, Thats the 201 th century! This guy is not only an expert in finance, but also owns a time machine! By the way, I am extremly worried about the ponzi scheme that will happen in 18000 years...  Roll Eyes  Must reconsider my investment in Bitcoin due to this fact.  Grin
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:37:29 PM

yep, definitely needs more animated gifs, scrolling banners and "click here" buttons.

Actually before seeing this "downside", I used to believe this one: http://web.archive.org/web/20040407003135/http://www.tecnilog-service.com/ was the worse site of internet.
Luckily the Web Archive hadn't store the java applets, in its "pure form" you could find there scrolling banners applets along with flash... it looks now definitely better that when it was live.
Took me 5 whole years to find worse, surely deserves an award...

Wow, Thats the 201th century! This guy is not only an expert in finance, but also owns a time machine! By the way, I am extremly worried about the ponzi scheme that will happen in 18000 years...  Roll Eyes  Must reconsider my investment in Bitcoin due to this fact.  Grin
You'd just ruining my day! Not only we come to find within 18000 years BTC will be a Ponzi scheme as we also found that 18000 years from now design will be that low  Embarrassed

|

|
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:41:59 PM

I agree for the most part: yes I think bitcoins are overvalued, they will go back down in price, most of the recent increase is speculation, etc.  However, I think you fail to take into account the rabbid 'fanboy' nature of many people involved in bitcoin.  They are so zealous about seeing bitcoin succeed, they often do irrational things to try to 'keep bitcoin alive', eg. mining at a loss, holding bitcoins to artificially reduce supply, buying bitcoins to keep the price afloat, accepting bitcoins for items at less than market value, etc.  So while I think the price will come down perhaps significantly, I think there is a core of fanatics that will keep bitcoin afloat to some degree despite any rational reason for doing so as compared to stocks, etc. where people are merely in it to make money.

Just started reading the thread. This is the first post I have to quote, for posterity. I agree.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
bitrebel

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:43:32 PM

sorry but bitcoins have a use.  Because of bitcoins I have a capability I did not have before. I can easily send money to someone in a random location on earth with NO logistics troubles other than getting their address.  If you don't think that this marks a major turning point you are simply small minded.

Bitcoin is still an infant, there are big things to come.

Very, very true,

Teej

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:45:13 PM

an MMORPG

why does everyone make this mistake when it's clearly a

If you were pronouncing MMORPG as a word ("Morpga?") then you'd be correct.  

However, reading the letters alphabetically, the phonetic "ehm" starts with a vowel sound, as opposed to B,C,D,G, etc.  Same story for F, H, L, S...."

"It's a BFG" - correct
"It's an L-29" - correct
"It's a MMORPG" - incorrect
bitrebel

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:46:54 PM

one thing is for sure, nobody on this forum is actually good at making money in the real financial market.  If you are good, you would not be here, you would be managing portfolios and dishing out advice for wealthy clients while raking in huge consulting/management fees.

You can't make money in managing "debt", all you can do is accumulate more "debt". Duh!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: