Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:27:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What tools will I add to my laptop to mine bitcoin?  (Read 3030 times)
Idrisu (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 05:35:13 AM

I have been having idea on bitcoin mining and if possible altcoins mining. Currently, I do have laptop and living in a place with almost free electricity. I will like you to advise me on tools to add to my laptop in other to start mining.
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 05:43:55 AM

You need an ASIC box that can pay for itself in a reasonable time. Or build up a GPU miner.
https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
oprezy

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 07:09:58 AM

what are the advantages of the GPU rig over ASIC please?
BitcoinboyBlog

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 01:08:33 PM

ASIC is a lot faster, a lot more efficient, and generates a bit more heat. In order to make much profit off of Bitcoin mining, you have to get an ASIC miner. With a GPU though, you could mine altcoins
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2567

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:22:34 PM

what are the advantages of the GPU rig over ASIC please?
Only advantage with using a GPU setup is that it can mine many different coins (except Bitcoin - difficulty is too high). ASIC-based miners can only mine the one coin it was designed for but being designed for that 1 purpose they are also hundreds of times faster than a GPU-based system.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mahimonliner

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

Join FlipNpik Telegram : t.me/flipnpikico

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 11:11:17 AM

Now a days bitcoin mining with laptop is not possible i think. All i know is if you want to start mining you need a beast desktop with powerful gpu's. Wink

erilook99

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:43:22 PM

if we want to mine through the laptop we only need to determine the specification of a suitable laptop so as not to risk too severe if using low spec. by using the spec above the average will definitely make it easier to mine its kits.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:22:24 PM

DO NOT ever mine on a laptop.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
AtraxPool

Activity: 84
Merit: 12

Block Hunting

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:37:39 AM

DO NOT ever mine on a laptop.

This is good advice.  You will fry the laptop out really quickly.

Buy a cheap motherboard throw some gpu's on there and mine with that or any desktop that can hold a few gpu's

Laptop is a very very bad idea.

■ BLOCKHUNT ■ «  COMMUNITY BLOCKHUNTING - »  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2207363.0
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 12:58:19 AM

I have been having idea on bitcoin mining and if possible altcoins mining. Currently, I do have laptop and living in a place with almost free electricity. I will like you to advise me on tools to add to my laptop in other to start mining.

Don't try to mine on a laptop.
 They are NOT designed for 24/7 operation at high load levels like mining puts on a machine.

The only VIABLE option is to use your laptop as a USB hub controller for a USB-based miner, as that doesn't put a lot of load on the laptop itself.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
CryptoAllDay

Activity: 578

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:23:43 AM

Agree with what the users here are saying.  Mining on a laptop will severely decrease the lifespan of the components and could lead to hardware failure, especially since some already have thermal issues to begin with.  Not only that, but usually laptops are a lot slower to begin with so mining wouldn't be worthwhile. 
Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 01:26:23 AM

You will need to add a magic wand

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
Gintama214

Activity: 462

DONATION SENPAI PLEASE <3 <3

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 02:46:35 AM

In my opinion your laptop won't be able to mine really that much if you are just mining on GPU, you need ant miner or you can build your own miner with graphics card and connect it into you laptop but I do prefer that you should buy ASICS if you really want to earn on mining because mining in GPU now is really useless. Lucky for you that you have free electricity which really is a big advantage for you but don't do GPU mining in you laptop because it will fry up you laptop.
cenzo94

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 05:12:46 AM

What if you wanna buy a specific laptop for only mining bitcoin, and also mining certain alt-coins. What kind of laptop would you recommend?
milani

Activity: 1092
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 05:55:23 AM

"Don't try to mine on a laptop.
 They are NOT designed for 24/7 operation" at high load levels like mining puts on a machine.

Thank you for your advice. I would like to clarify one thing for myself - what is it the "24/7 operation"? You have meant it. What computer or advice would you recommend for this operation? Sorry for disturbing you, but it is really an interesting topic and fery actual for me now. I am thankful to you for your answer.
Bastime

Activity: 519

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 11:01:31 AM

Now a days bitcoin mining with laptop is not possible i think. All i know is if you want to start mining you need a beast desktop with powerful gpu's. Wink

I agree, most laptops has no dedicated card to support high resolution graphics so then even if it has a dedicated GPU then it's still not enough because the difficulty of mining is very high and maybe it will take weeks or months 24/7 to generate profit from it.
should set a good rig in order to mine with multiple coins.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

TheBTCAlex

Activity: 126

Back from Vacation!

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 06:31:21 AM

Laptop GPU mining is NOT recommended, even if it doesn't destroy your GPU, it will definitely decrease the lifespan of your GPU. Mining takes loads of energy and heats up your GPU too high, furthermore, electricity costs for running a laptop GPU at 100% for long will be much higher than what you can profit.

Now, when you get an ASIC, it is much more power efficient, and it will earn you much more of a profit, it won't be ruined that easily, but electricity costs will still be a factor if you want to break even, as there will be major cooling costs also.

xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 07:17:01 AM

Laptop GPU mining is NOT recommended, even if it doesn't destroy your GPU, it will definitely decrease the lifespan of your GPU. Mining takes loads of energy and heats up your GPU too high, furthermore, electricity costs for running a laptop GPU at 100% for long will be much higher than what you can profit.

Now, when you get an ASIC, it is much more power efficient, and it will earn you much more of a profit, it won't be ruined that easily, but electricity costs will still be a factor if you want to break even, as there will be major cooling costs also.

Just consider electricity also we manage it and cannot able to provide the profit. It will be burst the heat from your laptop and there is condition to find the electricity shortage in the laptop.
Better check the computer market in your city and make the mining rig with the 6 radeon or nvidia graphics cards. That will really give your profit without no efforts.
mondobitcoin

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 07:52:19 AM

You can try MinerGate or NiceHash, they are a simple and good softwares for mining BTC and alt coins
They allow to mine with CPU too
ngefek berat

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:38:45 AM

My suggestion is better to use the computer directly to do the mining because the smoothness is also guaranteed but if you insist on using your laptop just add the cpu then it will run.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: