Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:44:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs Announces Bulk Chip Sales  (Read 15795 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:45:36 AM

A quick Google search brought up these old memories from months ago. That's a lot of OBSOLETE parts.

FTFY

What do you call a warehouse full of obsolete parts?

Garbage.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:45:55 AM

Well............Avalon/Klondike=5GH @ 32 watts (also FULL open source,so to speak)........................BFL=5GH @ 27 watts.I don't see a better buy myself,not enough difference to sway me  Tongue

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:46:17 AM

Both are FRUITS that never get delivered?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:48:37 AM

Well............Avalon/Klondike=5GH @ 32 watts (also FULL open source,so to speak)........................BFL=5GH @ 27 watts.I don't see a better buy myself,not enough difference to sway me  Tongue

Yup... pretty much end game here. BFL is going to fail to ship and without any reasonable expectation they can ship on time why bother? Open source BKKCoins, Alten and Burin designs and what Block Erupters as well? Why bother with BFL?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 04:50:25 AM

BFL could solve all their money problems if they simply deliver. Then they'll be able to use the untouched millions in their bank account. How do I know that they have not touched that money because it would be illegal for them to do so? Because they told us so, and they don't lie like us cocksuckin' trolls do.
ecliptic

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:12:00 AM

Not to mention for sheer GH/sec per dollar KnCminer is the best and will probably deliver before BFL's chips even arrive, much less assemblies using them are done.

KNC? Are they a scam? Sheesh... let's just stick with things that actually exist.
OrSOC is no scam, and their credentials blow BFL out of the water.  they have the IC designers behind opencores.org working with them on this project.

Don't drag knc and their vapor ware outfit into a discussion about companies that actually has asic working. Knc is a scam, so go ahead and buy their overpriced FPGA..
Just admit you don't know what OrSOC being involved means.

They're far more trustworthy than BFL.  Perhaps they have a bit to go to reach Avalon level.
phantitox

Activity: 385

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:22:57 AM

oh men, this guy took 1 year to deliver a product they say in the first announ will be deliver in 4 months (aprox) they deliver me my 2 5ghz units, and those are the most basic unit, ... 100 chips and they say 100 days  u better multiply that *3 .. maybe they deliver or not but something im pretty sure it will take more that 100 days knowing there rep around here.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:37:49 AM

What income have BFL had for the past8 months? Pre sales.

But what happened? Couldn't deliver then missed their specs. Sales would have slowed and refunds grown. How many people have asked for their 30K back from no chance of getting a mini rig? And for the remaining products the profit has been slashed due to pricing against a spec they couldn't deliver, and they bought ALOT of parts they can't use. (I'm thinking about those boxes of 1500W PSUs they showed us).

Now they are doing something strange - instead of concentrating on delivering the orders they already have they are asking 50% up front for a bulk chip order. Why? Because they need the $$$$$$. They are running out of the money they have been donated for the past 12 months, and their on going income is minimal. I'm thinking they are even struggling to pay for their chip orders and hence they need people to down pay for the manufacturing for both bulk chip sales and chips for what ever BFL is able to deliver.

When will there be a class action against BFL for late delivery and failing to meet promised specs?

A quick google search brought up these old memories from months ago. That is alot of parts.

i still have no clue why out of all power supplies, they decided to get evga.

ffs.

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 05:38:00 AM

oh men, this guy took 1 year to deliver a product they say in the first announ will be deliver in 4 months (aprox) they deliver me my 2 5ghz units, and those are the most basic unit, ... 100 chips and they say 100 days  u better multiply that *3 .. maybe they deliver or not but something im pretty sure it will take more that 100 days knowing there rep around here.
So what are you suggesting that they have to redesign the chips as well and go though a series of prototypes, or are you completely oblivious as to why your 5GH/s units were delayed for so long?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:19:04 AM

So now they are also in the chip selling business:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3014-butterfly-labs-announces-bulk-chip-sales.html

Butterfly Labs will begin selling bulk chips to individuals and companies starting in June, 2013. Chip delivery schedule is approximately 100 days through end packaging once your order is placed. We will be providing reference documentation, reference design/schematics, and foundry receipt/documentation.

Chips will be graded and priced as follows:

Grade A: 16 Engines - $97/chip
Grade B: 15 Engines - $93/chip
Grade C: 14 Engines - $89/chip

Grade D: 13 Engines or less - $83/chip

Our chips will be provided in minimum lots of 100 with the following price structure:

100 - 999 chips - Regular Price
1000 - 9999 chips - 5% discount
10,000 - 99,999 chips - 10% discount
100,000 or more - 20% discount

Chip orders will require 50% down and 50% upon order delivery. Payment can be made via BTC (preferred) or bank wire.

Advantages of BFL chips:

1/2 the power usage per GH as the closest competitor
1/10th the silicon area per GH as the closest competitor (Very high performance density)
You can use off the shelf heat sinks depending on your chip layout due to FCBGA package vs custom underside heat sinks as required on some QFN packages. You don't have to design and manufacture heat sinks!
Proven design currently operating in the field and ready to go.

We will allow you to convert current orders with us into chip orders if you would rather design your own.

If you would like to place an order, please email chipsales@butterflylabs.com
Blows on his BS decoder ring.

The following is imaginary and simply wild speculation without a basis...allegedly

A) Oh shit, we have a shit ton of orders and little or no funding to pay for new wafers!
A1) I know, let just pass the cost of new wafers to our customers!
A2) I know, lets pitch the idea Avalon is doing to our boss. Surely he would love to see us sell 2$ chips for 97$!

B) Oh shit, we might not be able to complete our huge order backlog!
B1) I know, let get this monkey off our backs and shift the blame of bad boards to open source vendors. We will sell our yet to be made chips with an extra 50% downpayment for quick liquidity! That way we can clear our backlog of orders and prevent our asses from getting thrown into court.
B2) I know, lets lull people into thinking they can just make our boards for us. In this way we will only be responsible to order chips from the fab and the packaging people....and the rest will work itself out! We can't possibly screw this up....We are probably going to collapse soon, so we might as well open source our design. We are knee deep in commitments/liability we won't be able to fulfill anytime soon. Don't let them see the panic in our eyes?!

60 days to fulfill 2 days worth of orders.

How many days between june 23, 2012 and December 31, 2012? Alot. How many from Jan 1, 2013 till today? Can anyone say, entering PANIC mode?

So sometime in 2020? Right? I hope!

all viable reasons lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 06:30:35 AM

While waiting for the chips you ordered, of which you'll have to build the damn thing yourself, brush up on your constructing skills with...

You're going to need it. And if you can't build one of these, then you shouldn't have purchased any chips, for building a bitcoin miner is a thousand times harder to construct.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:33:52 AM

I think what's going on is that BFL can not order chips in large enough quantities to fullfil their orders... they just order a certain amount at a time and their product is just trickling out.

now if they have a way to raise a gazzilion dollars again (let's sell chips!!) then they could place very large orders of chips.

then they will use the chips received to fullfil the orders while those who ordered chips will wait again...

Let's rob Peter to rob pay Paul.
Bingo, that my reasoning and speculation as well...

B-I-N-G-O ...was his NAME-O Tongue

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:37:49 AM

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html

While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area. While the above may be true for them (and I have no doubt it is), what they are able to accomplish in a given time frame does not necessarily apply to our development workflow and process.

Date December 2012.

LOL

FUCKING LAWL. Josh is a clown who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

"blah blah Avalon team doesn't have the experience"....

Yet they shipped and continue to ship before your Butterflying asses.  Cheesy

Then six months later Josh says the following:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about-3.html#post37045

I think the only thing interesting about it is the fact that someone decided to necro a 6 month old thread. And by interesting, I mean pointless.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 08:35:11 AM

You keep playing the ORSoC card. Will you be giving money to ORSoC for these ASIC miners for which no ASIC exists yet? Will ORSoC pay you back in case you never receive your ASIC miner that doesn't yet exist?

ORSoC will do no such thing. ORSoC is the ODM and will take NO responsibility in the potential fuckups of KNCMINER.

ORSoC is NO GUARANTEE you will ever see your miner.
dudeofthestick

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:03:28 AM

They know once the pre orders queue is empty the highest margins will come from the silicon business, not the devices business. Just license (or open source) the reference board and get big bucks selling the chips. Focus on evolving the chip and the forget about crazy logistics to tackle end customer business.

There are dozens (or hundreds) of people that can build the boards and mining devices, but only a few can design and deliver (well... I have to see my prepaid stuff working yet) ASICs worldwide. That is the real value of BFL if they are looking for VC funding.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:49:33 AM

You keep playing the ORSoC card. Will you be giving money to ORSoC for these ASIC miners for which no ASIC exists yet? Will ORSoC pay you back in case you never receive your ASIC miner that doesn't yet exist?

ORSoC will do no such thing. ORSoC is the ODM and will take NO responsibility in the potential fuckups of KNCMINER.

Are you sure about that? Where did you got your info? From Sam? From ORSoC? Or out of nowhere?

KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:02:07 AM

Are you sure about that? Where did you got your info? From Sam? From ORSoC? Or out of nowhere?

Who do you buy the miners from? KNC
Who do you have a contract with? KNC

Are you an ORSoC customer? No
Are you giving money to ORSoC? No
Do you have a contract with ORSoC? No
Did ORSoC give *any* kind of warranty they would pickup the tab in case KNC defaulted? No
What does ORSoC state in their PR regarding the partnership? Talk to KNC.

If you have any information pointing to the contrary, please do share.
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:24:40 AM

Want to see what Avalon said about their [BFL] Fab production "a while ago"?

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about-3.html#post37045

Take a look at the first page where a well known quote from Team Avalon is cited in the first post, then zoom forward "into the future" towards the end. As Josh recently gave the thread a backhand comment for someone bringing it back to bite him in the ass.

The Truth hurts!

Wow.

Even INTEL does not have this kind of capacity. Neither does AMD. They produce, then test, and if things suck, they throw it all away or make a "budget version" of a downclocked chip. If you were ever wondering where these shitty graphics cards came from that nobody wants... take a guess Wink

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:25:38 AM

Who do you buy the miners from? KNC
Who do you have a contract with? KNC

Are you an ORSoC customer? No
Are you giving money to ORSoC? No
Do you have a contract with ORSoC? No
Did ORSoC give *any* kind of warranty they would pickup the tab in case KNC defaulted? No
What does ORSoC state in their PR regarding the partnership? Talk to KNC.

If you have any information pointing to the contrary, please do share.

This has nothing to do with BFL ASIC  Bulk Chip Sales by any stretch of the imagination, can you please move it to one of the KNC threads?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:30:15 AM

Want to see what Avalon said about their [BFL] Fab production "a while ago"?

Take a look at the first page where a well known quote from Team Avalon is cited in the first post, then zoom forward "into the future" towards the end. As Josh recently gave the thread a backhand comment for someone bringing it back to bite him in the ass.

The Truth hurts!

Wow.

Even INTEL does not have this kind of capacity. Neither does AMD. They produce, then test, and if things suck, they throw it all away or make a "budget version" of a downclocked chip. If you were ever wondering where these shitty graphics cards came from that nobody wants... take a guess Wink

It's the unicorn blood. Definitely...the unicorn blood.

Too bad the unicorn blood was way over rated. It failed to help the process along in the end...Reality and Physics got in the way of the ritual sacrifices.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: