Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:48:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when the bitcoin-bigplayers sell theire coins?  (Read 2569 times)
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 01:09:24 PM

Imagine what happens when 600.000 coins get sold with market execution?!?

Flash crash into the sub $1 range. The moron loses a lot of money and everyone who put an order at below $1 smiles. One hour later, price bounces back as fast as the MtGox trading engine permits. Some time of extreme swings with two weeks to dampen out, during which Bitcoin is completely useless as a medium of exchange.

The only reason someone would do that is to damage Bitcoin, not caring about losing $50 Million.  We can then all make more or less educated guesses about who would be behind it. It can only be commercial payment networks or 3-letter services imho.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 01:35:14 PM

I've read that it's not healthy in any economy for someone to hold more than 1% of the market cap. It made sense to me... With more than 1% the ability to control the market is too great.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
chiropteran

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2013, 02:54:15 PM

It's a nonsense scenario.  The so-called "big players" have so many bitcoin BECAUSE the have horded and bought up bitcoin since the early days.  The kind of people who foolishly sell all their coin at once for no special reason don't have large piles of bitcoin because once you make an irrational sale as such you don't have any coin left.

Hoarders hoard, miners who are in it for USD profit only sell immediately, some people try to play the market both ways.  But irrationals who would be willing to sell all their coin at once and lose a tremendous amount of value for no real gain have already done so, and lost their bitcoin.  Anyone who has held bitcoin through watching it increase in value 100X to $1, 100X more to $100, and even surge as high as $266 without selling off is clearly disciplined enough to sell in a rational manner.

It's about as likely as every single miner and merchant suddenly deciding to hold all bitcoin and stop selling and cause the price to skyrocket.

And1

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 04:05:44 PM

Nearly half of existing today bitcoins (5 mlns) was released before end of 2011, before bitcoin became known to publicity (as first news was publicly released during first "bubble"). I think 6% in hands of biggest bitcoin players is huge understatement. Imho biggest players are virtualy unable to sell it all, even if they wanted to.
Komodorpudel (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:41:31 PM

Okay, thank you guys for the answers...

To sum it up:

1. It's not good for a economy when someone owns more than 1% of its wealth

2. It's unlikley that the 3 biggest bitcoinwallet owners will sell their coins in larger amounts, because they "love" bitcoin.

3. Even if it happens, it would be good, because of the lower price more people jump on the "bitcointrain"

Did i forgot anything?
meangreen

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 06:52:41 PM

last but not least BELIEVE everything you read on the internet
Komodorpudel (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:09:43 PM

last but not least BELIEVE everything you read on the internet

Probably the best one Cheesy Cheesy
tom1

Activity: 130

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:22:44 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2013, 09:37:05 PM by t.o.m.

Same for me, I can scoop up some, at the moment everything is so high.
People said that a year ago too Cheesy

aceking

Activity: 229

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:35:17 PM

we will buy them cheaply
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:10:38 PM

Currently, only 3 people own almost 6% of all bitcoins( if not, please correct me)

Proof?
Source?
Reference?

Huh
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:05:22 AM

To sum it up:

2. It's unlikley that the 3 biggest bitcoinwallet owners will sell their coins in larger amounts, because they "love" bitcoin.

3. Even if it happens, it would be good, because of the lower price more people jump on the "bitcointrain"

Did i forgot anything?

Now you're just being willfully recalcitrant, ignoring or distorting the explanations given to you. You won't change your mind because you're in love with your original conclusion.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:11:45 AM

You are asking the wrong question.

WHY are they selling?

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
Komodorpudel (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:32:07 AM

Currently, only 3 people own almost 6% of all bitcoins( if not, please correct me)
Source?
Reference?
Proof?

Huh

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/22/the-bitcoin-richest-accumulating-large-balances/

Its a bit old and i haven't found the source i got it from, but it is a good beginning Smiley

To sum it up:

Did i forgot anything?

Now you're just being willfully recalcitrant, ignoring or distorting the explanations given to you. You won't change your mind because you're in love with your original conclusion.

Wtf is wrong with you ? I noticed the explanations and i thought about it.And I also wrote it down to sum it up.....and its still justified to be skeptical about the fact that a few people own a lot.

You are asking the wrong question.

WHY are they selling?

You mean why "should" they selling?

Maybe for the same reason people are selling right now....when you see that you lose millions everyone would get nervous..
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:09:59 AM

We will get a wider distribution of coins, which is a good thing.

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: