Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:55:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Vessenes: Take a step back and F*** YOUR OWN FACE!!!  (Read 8299 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:23:15 AM

But Peter Vessenes, chairman and executive director of the Bitcoin Foundation, was unfazed by the Liberty Reserve crackdown.

"The U.S. put out guidance recently through the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, and we've been following up on that guidance and crushing bad actors," he said in an interview with CNBC Asia. "We're seeing a bit of a sweep right now," he said.
"As a consumer, I stay away from companies that have questionable know-your-customer policies," he said. "They're suspiciously light on how much information they want about you.

I wonder if this is related:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=224057

Effective the May 31st, 2013 Tangible Cryptography has suspended new purchases of Bitcoins through our service FastCash4Bitcoins.  We take this step in response to a notice received on the same day from the Commonwealth of Virginia that a complaint has been made that our company is operating as an unlicensed money transmitter.
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 05:36:51 AM

It pangs of innocent-have-nothing-to-hide rhetoric.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:41:18 AM

I just want to make the point that Bitcoin is neither a business nor an institution, and is therefore outside the realm of regulation. It's more like a force of nature, and those trying to regulate it are (in my opinion) either seeking personal gain (whether political, financial, or both) or they're up to something else that can't be any good.

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:54:57 AM

Although it is unnerving for me to hear Vessenes take credit like that, at the same time I wonder if this is just what bitcoin needs... A decoy.

Govs and their lapdog the mainstream media have absolutely no concept in their noggins about how bitcoin could evade their power. To them, every obstacle is a military problem; enough use of force and that'll fix it. They think they can use bombs and tanks on bitcoin if they need to one day, and that's why they don't panic now.

So it's good that we have a decoy out there, in their crosshairs, to let them feel they have someone they can pull a nondescript van full of spooks next to, and make dissapear, when the day comes that they want the pain to stop.

I say let him keep talking, and let the enemy keep thinking they can stop bitcoin by capturing Vessenes and the other foundation heads.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:59:58 AM

So it's good that we have a decoy out there, in their crosshairs, to let them feel they have someone they can pull a nondescript van full of spooks next to, and make dissapear, when the day comes that they want the pain to stop.

No vans full of spooks are coming after anyone involved in the Bitcoin Foundation. A centralized body like itself is exactly what governments will want/need in order to manipulate the network.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 06:13:11 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the 'Bitcoin Foundation' for what it really is, another wannabe federal reserve.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:13:53 AM

I'm glad I never donated to Bitcoin Foundation.

+1

This Vesseness guy is... a "bad influence", to say the least.

I won't be surprised the day he proposes mandatory white-listing of addresses.
I hope Gavin knows that's the moment to jump off.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:17:51 AM

No vans full of spooks are coming after anyone involved in the Bitcoin Foundation. A centralized body like itself is exactly what governments will want/need in order to manipulate the network.

Yup.  And a centralized network is just what a centralized body like that needs.  They made a giant fuck-up by not waiting until the blocks were full and the limit was lifted (which couldn't happen to soon for our buddy ~justusranvier here.)  Unless it was baked into 0.8.2 somehow and nobody noticed.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
LogicalUnit

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:28:29 AM

even with all the help in the world from the mainstream zionist media.

You lost me with that one, hate-monger.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 07:46:45 AM

From http://www.cnbc.com/id/100774151:

But Peter Vessenes, chairman and executive director of the Bitcoin Foundation, was unfazed by the Liberty Reserve crackdown.

"The U.S. put out guidance recently through the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, and we've been following up on that guidance and crushing bad actors," he said in an interview with CNBC Asia. "We're seeing a bit of a sweep right now," he said.

To Peter:

Really fu**face? Who exactly have you been "crushing"?

He's been sending really hurtful letters to Keanu Reeves
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 07:51:39 AM

You guys can complain about it or support the Bitcoin Education Project. We are the only group right now that is growing into a force capable of building a Bitcoin foundation that represents the will of the community.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
lexxus

Activity: 309

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:57:44 AM

regarding liberty reserve...

compare this

The money was virtual, but prosecutors say the crime was real.

Officials brought charges against a group of men who allegedly manufactured an Internet-based currency to launder about $6 billion in ill-gotten gains, a sign of authorities’ rising concern with digital cash.

Liberty Reserve, which was incorporated in 2006, was a “bank of choice for the criminal underworld,” according to the indictment, which said the operation allegedly laundered the money through 55 million transactions before it was shut down earlier this month. The company has about one million users world-wide, including about 200,000 people in the U.S., according to prosecutors. They called the plot one of the largest money-laundering operations ever uncovered.

A spokesman for Liberty Reserve couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. Prosecutors said Tuesday that they arrested five of the seven men charged in the indictment Friday in Spain, Costa Rica and Brooklyn, N.Y., and charged them with operating an unlicensed money-transmitting business. The officials said they plan to seek extradition of those arrested abroad, and that the two remaining men are at large.

On Tuesday, in the first use of the 2001 Patriot Act against a virtual currency, the Treasury Department invoked a section of the law to choke off Liberty Reserve from the U.S. financial system. The Treasury’s proposal would prohibit U.S. financial institutions from opening or maintaining accounts for foreign banks that process transactions for Liberty Reserve and require special steps to guard against any transactions involving it.

to this:

(Reuters) - HSBC Holdings Plc agreed to pay a record $1.92 billion in fines to U.S. authorities for allowing itself to be used to launder a river of drug money flowing out of Mexico and other banking lapses.

Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel and Colombia’s Norte del Valle cartel between them laundered $881 million through HSBC and a Mexican unit, the U.S. Justice Department said on Tuesday.

We accept responsibility for our past mistakes. We have said we are profoundly sorry for them, and we do so again. The HSBC of today is a fundamentally different organization from the one that made those mistakes,” HSBC Chief Executive Stuart Gulliver said.

Bank officials repeatedly ignored internal warnings that HSBC’s monitoring systems were inadequate, the Justice Department said. In 2008, for example, the CEO of HSBC Mexico was told that Mexican law enforcement had a recording of a Mexican drug lord saying that HSBC Mexico was the place to launder money.

No bank or bank executives have been indicted. Instead, prosecutors have used deferred prosecutions, under which criminal charges against a firm are set aside if it agrees to conditions such as paying fines and changing its behavior.

now, think again about "foundation"

(taken from http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-30/liberty-reserve-and-why-some-money-launderers-are-more-equal-others)
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:15:06 AM

WHY ARE YOU STILL LIVING IN THE US YOU PEACE OF SHIT!

If you do not agree with your governments laws you should just leave...

No, as someone from Europe, I would love him not to listen to you but to stay and fight the laws (organised violence) of the state mafia, and fight against people like you, the happy slaves, who are accepting and supporting the organised violence. Everybody has the natural law to fight the state mafia at home first.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:26:53 AM

He's a fascist. Only he doesn't recognize it himself.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:39:39 AM

He's a fascist. Only he doesn't recognize it himself.

Zionism, christianism, islamism, communism, capitalism, nationalism - that's all fascism and idiotism, a labor slave ethos; the merger of corporate and state power.
melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:47:53 AM

http://youtu.be/KbjQ1PeAbeg

You may not like peter, but it's perhaps more conducive to a conversation to be civil.

If by "we", he means The Bitcion Foundation, it would seem to be positioning itself as a kind of bitconi regulatory body in the United States.

The question remains as to who determines 'bad' and 'good' actors.  It seems that peter wants to do this, by introducing certifications (paid) etc.

This is a form of centralization that may not benefit bitcoin in the US, time will tell. 

A logical conclusion is that people like Satoshi would not be considered legit without paying the foundation, which seems to go against the grain of the original project concepts.

I have huge respect for Gavin, but it remains to be seen whether the foundation is going to be positive for bitcoin in the U.S.  That said, I do believe bitcoin is currently too U.S. centric, so it may end up being a plus ...
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:06:06 AM

To Peter:

How exactly are you "regulating" bitcoin when I can still buy and sell them without using any ID? When I can still buy and sell whatever I want with them over Silk Road?

To everyone else:

You have to ask, "What is CNBC and Peter trying to accomplish with this bit of propaganda?"

To someone who is low-tech and new to bitcoin, this would easily convince them that Peter is the head of bitcoin, and that he is making it a regulated currency.

Now you may realize that Peter is just a self appointed nitwit of a rather meaningless organization, but the average dumb american does not. The banks' strategy is to create a regulated sphere of bitcoin usage, and use their media to spin it like they are cracking down on everyone else. Sort of like shutting down Napster, and creating itunes. Thing is, that hasn't stopped anyone from downloading free music, and I doubt Peter and his band of assclowns will do any better with bitcoin - even with all the help in the world from the mainstream zionist media.

http://youtu.be/KbjQ1PeAbeg

It's pretty obvious. Peter has been working with law enforcement to take down actors (competitors), including obviously, MtGox's subsidiary in the USA. Doing so means more business for 'legitimate' exchanges i.e. the ones he's connected to.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:11:33 AM

You guys can complain about it or support the Bitcoin Education Project. We are the only group right now that is growing into a force capable of building a Bitcoin foundation that represents the will of the community.

We will need to spread the power if we don't want it to collapse so agree that a counterparty is important

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
kcirazy

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:35:22 PM

To Peter:
How exactly are you "regulating" bitcoin when I can still buy and sell them without using any ID? When I can still buy and sell whatever I want with them over Silk Road?
This topic is based on a typing error by CNBC.
If you watch the video and listen carefully, you can hear him say "... they've been following up on that guidance" - referring to FinCEN.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:37:51 PM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by pointing this out?

I gather that you don't like Vessenes, but beyond that: Point == Missed.

I wasn't making a point to you. This post is directed at Peter. I'd like him to explain who exactly he is "crushing".

crushing fiat transmitters that claim to be legit and trustworthy with our FIAT. then later found out they are not legit fiat transmitters.

its all about fiat..... meanwhile bitcoin remains unaffected.

if you think that bitcoin has been affected then you do not know bitcoin. please learn the non-exchange methods of obtaining bitcoin. the true, original way it was supposed to be dispursed.
hint peer-to-peer (localbitcoin / irc-otc) style

care to estimate the volume and liquidity in those channels? 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: