Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:27:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] i0coin - Back from the dead  (Read 14807 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:50:32 AM

I'd imagine.

More focused on getting a working client out there than merged mining, for now. That'll come later. Really just need the blockchain before I can do any serious work on this.

You have to have the merged mining, the difference between being able to be merged mined as a secondary chain and not being able to be merged mined as a secondary chain is a breaking change, when first adding merged mining to a coin you need to schedule in advance a block number at which merged mining will be enabled, the blocks are different from there onward.

If you wanted to fork off a variant that no longer can be merged mined as a secondary chain you'd need to do the same, schedule a block number at which the block format that enables secondary chain ability is replaced with the old format the blocks used to have back before the merged mining was started.

So basically to base off of bitcoin you need a copy of bitcoin to which the merged-mining.patch has been applied. To base off some other coin you'd need to base it off of a coin that already has the ability to be merged mined as a secondary chain.

This is not a change a few constants "sed -i -e 's/bitcoin/scamcoin/g' -e 's/Bitcoin/Scamcoin/g' *" type of job, unless some existing coin that already can be secondary chain in a merge has already been updated to the version of bitcoin you are trying to update to...

-MarkM-

EDIT: I am uploading doti0coin.tgz to https://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/ it will take a while as it IS large, but it includes everything so should just need download time, no CPU overhead nor the database overhead of building indexes and so on. It won't show on the page until the upload completes. It contains a dir called doti0coin, not .i0coin, so untarring it won't walk over any existing .i0coin dir

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hazard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:54:12 AM

I'm aware. I'm setting up a hardfork. Hence why I require the blockchain.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 12:58:17 AM

So you are trying to 51% attack the i0coin network?

Or steal the name for some new coin?

Or what?

All the merged-mined blocks will not validate as valid if you don't have the merged mining patches.

If you update to very recent bitcoin though, I don't' think it bothers to validate anything prior to the last checkpoint, maybe?

So very-recent bitcoin code maybe might let you get away with having the real blockchain even though you cannot actually validate any of it prior to some checkpoint. Not actually sure about that though.

Someone actually wants a branch of I0Coin they cannot muster hashing power to actually secure due to it not being able to be merged mined?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 01:04:21 AM

Huh? Forking the chain is a worse bug than simply using a lot of RAM. Geistgeld uses a lot of RAM too. It might even really just be due to all the dust transactions, since all available to be spent all live in RAM don't they? So most likely the massive amount of dust causes a massive amount of RAM to be used. I think dust transctions may have already been dis-allowed so maybe just paying people to consolidate all their "dust" could help decrease the size of the in-RAM txout set.

-MarkM-

Hazard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 01:08:31 AM

Merged mining will come, it's just not my primary concern right now. I'm currently trying to fix a coin that I don't even have the blockchain for Cheesy I'm sure you see how that could be problematic.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 01:15:49 AM

Merged mining will come, it's just not my primary concern right now. I'm currently trying to fix a coin that I don't even have the blockchain for Cheesy I'm sure you see how that could be problematic.

YOu cannot do profiling looking for memory leaks etc if you cannot run the client, so you just need the current client and blockchain and a debugger / profiler, no hard fork no new bitcoin code just find the damn bug and fix it.

But better might be to help get the merged-mining.patch applied cleanly to the latest bitcoin code.

Then all the merged mined coins, not only I0Coin, can upgrade to that.

Fixing some ancient version is pretty much a waste of time since whatever you end up with will be obsolete almost as soon as the applying of the patches to latest bitcoin is complete, because once that happens I0Coin, IXCoin, CoiLedCoin, GeistGeld, GRouPcoin, DeVCoin, heck maybe even NaMeCoin will all be upgraded using that so will all be up to date properly.

Whatever bug there may be evidently is in no other coin except possibly GeistGeld, and certainly not in the latest bitcoin code, so is going to go away anyway as soon as this "Mergecoin" repo is ready.

-MarkM-

Hazard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 01:23:21 AM

YOu cannot do profiling looking for memory leaks etc if you cannot run the client, so you just need the current client and blockchain and a debugger / profiler, no hard fork no new bitcoin code just find the damn bug and fix it.

But better might be to help get the merged-mining.patch applied cleanly to the latest bitcoin code.
By latest I hope you mean 0.7.2 Wink

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:02:00 AM

Welp, turns out I don't have the block chain :-/ Will this resurrected i0coin still run SHA256?

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Hazard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 02:03:27 AM

Correct.

Currently the plan is to just get the block chain to load under 0.7.2 by disabling block checking, and seeing if the memory leak issue is fixed (which it should be). Then I can move onto applying the merged mining patch and release it.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 02:08:23 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2013, 02:19:12 AM by markm

Correct.

Currently the plan is to just get the block chain to load under 0.7.2 by disabling block checking, and seeing if the memory leak issue is fixed (which it should be). Then I can move onto applying the merged mining patch and release it.

Okay well if you do apply the merged mining patch to a version of bitcoin, please make a repo of just that.

That way all the coins can go ahead and update that far if they want to instead of having to wait for the patches to successfully get applied to the latest bitcoin, which is not as simple as applying them to the versions of bitcoin that still used Berkely DB.

-MarkM-

P.S. Sourceforge only got 1.1 gigs of the doti0coin.tgz but shows it on the list anyway even though that is broken. I am trying the sftp again.

SInce I fired up i0coin temporarily on my other server too you could try temporarily adding 198.154.60.183 to your addnodes, maybe with more nodes to get blocks from it will have more success getting blocks.

Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 02:19:58 AM

PLEASE don't give it a new name Hazard  Grin Cheesy

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:25:27 AM

Wait, what's going to happen to all the old i0coins?

GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Hazard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 02:25:53 AM

Wait, what's going to happen to all the old i0coins?
They'll still be there.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 04:58:32 AM

Have not seen Lolcust for a long time after that Geld Geist coin.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 06:06:06 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2013, 06:44:20 AM by MaGNeT

I have a 1.25GB size blk0001.dat Smiley

i0coin.rar (898.0 MB)
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:15:00 AM

So you are trying to 51% attack the i0coin network?

Or steal the name for some new coin?

Or what?

-MarkM-

I think he's just going to make a few patches that will fix those "bugs" and it might hardfork the chain. It's kinda surprising BCX is still alive just to (maybe) help out with the fixes.

BCX never died LOL.....

I'm back because somebody's gotta clean up this Alt Coin mess, they're breeding like Rabbits  LOL...........

~BCX~

Maybe someone like Lolcust or ArtForz can be back into the whole altcoin drama business minus CoinHunter to make things more interesting.

Oh I have a very good feeling ArtForz will return as well as Lolcust...and most definitley we'll see Coinhunter.

~BCX~

I'm fairly sure coinhunter runs the mcxnow exchange

worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:03:29 AM

Now Solidcoin is known as Microcash with a 1:1 exchange.  But I haven't heard about Solidcoin/Microcash for ages now.
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 03:46:56 PM

No that would be Realsolid.

Coinhunter has made it clear that him and Realsolid are not the same person.  Cheesy

Coinhunter will be back! So will ArtForz and Lolcust.

~BCX~

Is Art close to being done with the Scrypt ASIC yet?

twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 04:25:17 PM

No that would be Realsolid.

Coinhunter has made it clear that him and Realsolid are not the same person.  Cheesy

Coinhunter will be back! So will ArtForz and Lolcust.

~BCX~

you are right, but I did not think too many people knew it as of yet.  I guess I better get to work on that code for Lolcust, but I just can't get motivated, especially being out of disk space lately.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:38:32 AM

Is Art close to being done with the Scrypt ASIC yet?

He hasn't worked on it in a while, it's been on hold.

~BCX~

I missed Kelly Lee.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: