Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:45:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto winter is coming again …  (Read 4548 times)
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:21:52 PM

I probably used the term out of context or just the wrong word. What I meant is, we have probably considered every scenario, and from now on there is nothing to do but wait and see what happens.

My prediction is that 2x will cause a dip, it will finally be beaten after a while, the price will recover, and there will be no SegWit disaster scenario. I was there during MtGox, it was always clear to me that it wasn't safe and kept my coins on my full node. I think your theory is a much different one, can't compare it to an exchange leaving with your coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcuslong
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 02:05:28 PM

Other says bitcoin gonna fall gonna fall gonna fall it is for real aren't you guys don't happy for what the bitcoin price now? Because no matter what the price of bitcoin is untill you can use it go for it and never think about the negative side of bitcoin if its gonna fall or not bitcoin is always there.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 04:20:31 PM

I probably used the term out of context or just the wrong word. What I meant is, we have probably considered every scenario, and from now on there is nothing to do but wait and see what happens.

My prediction is that 2x will cause a dip, it will finally be beaten after a while, the price will recover, and there will be no SegWit disaster scenario. I was there during MtGox, it was always clear to me that it wasn't safe and kept my coins on my full node. I think your theory is a much different one, can't compare it to an exchange leaving with your coins.
Agreed. I can't really see miners screwing themselves over either. There's too much money invested into mining hardware for them to just let Bitcoin die. They will do what it takes to keep their profits rolling in.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 05:04:15 PM

Agreed. I can't really see miners screwing themselves over either. There's too much money invested into mining hardware for them to just let Bitcoin die. They will do what it takes to keep their profits rolling in.

if at some point the potential payoff of attacking segwit outweighs the potential downsides, there would be people seriously considering it. would someone try? dunno. but segwit seems to add unnecessary risk to btc long term value.

phuclzu12

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:11:45 PM

Other says bitcoin gonna fall gonna fall gonna fall it is for real aren't you guys don't happy for what the bitcoin price now? Because no matter what the price of bitcoin is untill you can use it go for it and never think about the negative side of bitcoin if its gonna fall or not bitcoin is always there.
You can understand when you always have thought about the negative side of Bitcoin, you can remind yourself do not put much money into Bitcoin and take profits when you have chance to do that. Of course, someone will think this type as a pessimist, but I think it is useful for me.
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:40:35 AM

You can understand when you always have thought about the negative side of Bitcoin, you can remind yourself do not put much money into Bitcoin and take profits when you have chance to do that. Of course, someone will think this type as a pessimist, but I think it is useful for me.

There is nothing wrong with taking profits. You will have to benefit at some point from Bitcoin's huge price appreciation. There is no point in taking all your bitcoins to the grave.
Hyperme.sh (OP)

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:28:13 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 11:42:24 AM by Hyperme.sh

Bitcoin is for sheep?

I am not trying to tell anyone what to think. Everyone has their own free will.

Many people seem to think the miners will not profit from the posited attack but I have already explained that I think they will not only profit but they will achieve their goal of world domination:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2259054.msg23365309#msg23365309

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2259054.msg23338601#msg23338601

How many of you have read everything in the above linked thread?

Again it is all speculation. Please remember that.

[…] but segwit seems to add unnecessary risk to btc long term value.

If I were the ones planning such an attack, first I would create many different forks of Bitcoin (that appear to come from different groups) to make it appear that the community is in disarray and thus making mutability look like a really bad idea. Divide-and-conquer. And sucker a lot of sheep into trusting Core (i.e. Core may have been funded as a decoy in a long-range plan). We goyim are so gullible.

Then when SegWit is attacked, that can be a strong argument that returning to immutability is much more sane and that the attacking miners are actually rescuing Bitcoin so that it can serve as a stable one-world reserve currency:

[…]

The following is the same concept as Nash’s Ideal Money, as FOFOA’s free gold concept, and what I mentioned in my blog. The problem is that no one knows how to achieve a reserve currency that won’t be (even if surreptitiously) centrally controlled and thus eventually abused!

In the instant case, we will need to create a neutral Reserve Currency that is free from domestic political conflicts such as the Democrats v Republicans in the USA. It must also be free of CONTAGIONS due to issues that may be nearby as took place with Britain during the 1920s. We will need all exchange in goods globally to be between two independent currencies converted through the independent Reserve Currency. Therefore, all commodities instead of trading in dollars will be traded in this new NEUTRAL Reserve Currency.

The reason this is so important is because who ever controls the one-world reserve currency can basically turn the world into slaves via debt similar to what is happening to Greece now and what will happen to the entire world soon due to the short dollar vortex underway:

https://gist.github.com/shelby3/c192cedaed52ef11ef97acb239dc5986#euro-is-a-monetary-enslavement-paradigm

I appreciate that. Again none of us posting here knows for sure. We’re just analysing possibilities and trying to guesstimate probabilities.

I believe the Zionists may have had their hand in Mt. Gox from behind the curtain. There were a lot of weird things that came out about Mt. Gox later, and I do not remember all the details.

The Zionists need to completely fool us in order to successfully get us to support our own enslavement.

I do understand that speaking about conspiracy theories can make a speculator’s eyes roll back in his head. But srsly, it’s impossible that Satoshi was a Japanese nerd who created Bitcoin from his garage. Everything about Bitcoin is fucking weird as shit and improbable to have been an unplanned creation.

Of course if the Zionists created Bitcoin, they’d attempt to make it appear as though it was created amateurishly, yet we see all the key features of Bitcoin have remained intact from the way they were created by Satoshi (presuming SegWit dies in flames as I posit). And specifically note the research I cited in the companion thread, about how proof-of-work MUST BE centralized as revenue comes predominantly from transaction fees as the protocol block reward diminishes. This is one of those strong points of evidence that Bitcoin was created with the full intent that it become entirely centrally controlled at the end game.

P.S. Note I distinguish Zionists from Jews. The former are the evil mofos. And I am not referring to people of the diaspora that want a homeland. I am referring the mofos who hijacked that and want to subjugate the human species.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:08:36 AM

if at some point the potential payoff of attacking segwit outweighs the potential downsides, there would be people seriously considering it. would someone try? dunno. but segwit seems to add unnecessary risk to btc long term value.

It's one of those things that could end up pushing BTC over the edge eventually and pave way for another crypto... Unless mining becomings more attracted and thus more decentralized I guess, which doesn't seem likely right now.
Hyperme.sh (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:51:48 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 12:23:32 PM by Hyperme.sh

It's one of those things that could end up pushing BTC over the edge eventually and pave way for another crypto... Unless mining becomings more attracted and thus more decentralized I guess, which doesn't seem likely right now.

My world view is that you’re (we’re) gullible and looking it from that which I posit to be the incorrect perspective.

Instead, as I explained in my prior post, I think it will make BTC the king of crypto and enable it to be trusted as immutable which is the necessary requirement for a one-world reserve currency that nation-state central banks are eventually forced to hold as reserves by lack of other less politically manipulated alternatives.

Yet the irony of it is the mining will be entirely controlled behind the curtain by the Zionists (aka The Beast or Anti-Christ in Revelation). This all ties into my theory that Bitcoin was created by the Zionists planners. I had presented several reasons or evidence to support this theory.

The Zionists (Satan) are so clever, that they have fooled us into cheering for and evangelizing our future enslavement into the 666 system (<--- I wrote that in 2013). Exactly as predicted in the Bible that we would be fooled by the miracles of the Anti-Christ.

Satan demonstrated his power when he destroyed the three buildings at 9/11 with controlled demolitions. Study the research by PhDs and scholars.

I of course hope I am entirely incorrect. Who wants to think that we’re doomed to enslavement. Yet as I challenged readers, study the research and try to refute it.

What better way to enslave all us goyim by turning us into slaves blinded by our own greed into evangelizing our enslavement paradigm. Lol. Perfect.

Go Bitcoin $10000!. Go Bitcoin! Go! Yahoo! At least we’ll be filthy rich slaves for a few moments.

“If you read the book Sapiens, then you recognize this as a religion – a story we all tell each other and agree upon. Religion is the adoption curve we ought to be thinking about. It’s almost perfect – as soon as someone gets in, they tell everyone and go out evangelizing. Then their friends get in and they start evangelizing.”
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:55:00 AM

My world view is that you’re (we’re) gullible and looking it from that which I posit to be the incorrect perspective.

Instead, as I explained in my prior post, I think it will make BTC the king of crypto and enable it to be trusted as immutable which is the necessary requirement for a one-world reserve currency that nation-state central banks are eventually forced to hold as reserves by lack of other less politically manipulated alternatives.

Yet the irony of it is the mining will be entirely controlled behind the curtain by the Zionists (aka The Beast or Anti-Christ in Revelation). This all ties into my theory that Bitcoin was created by the Zionists planners. I had presented several reasons or evidence to support this theory.

The Zionists (Satan) are so clever, that they have fooled us into cheering for and evangelizing our future enslavement into the 666 system (<--- I wrote that in 2013). Exactly as predicted in the Bible that we would be fooled by the miracles of the Anti-Christ.

Satan demonstrated his power when he destroyed the three buildings at 9/11 with controlled demolitions. Study the research by PhDs and scholars.

I of course hope I am entirely incorrect. Who wants to think that we’re doomed to enslavement. Yet as I challenged readers, study the research and try to refute it.

What better way to enslave all us goyim by turning us into slaves blinded by our own greed into evangelizing our enslavement paradigm. Lol. Perfect.

Go Bitcoin $10000!. Go Bitcoin! Go! Yahoo! At least we’ll be filthy rich slaves for a few moments.
You are incorrect, at least partially. It depends on your perspective I guess. But in reality, you're only a slave if you choose to be one. Even with central banking, you can choose to make them your tool instead of allowing them to control your life. Most people just lack the awareness to do this (for goods reasons).
Hyperme.sh (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:08:23 AM

But in reality, you're only a slave if you choose to be one. Even with central banking, you can choose to make them your tool instead of allowing them to control your life. Most people just lack the awareness to do this (for goods reasons).

We’ll according to prophecy, at the end times no one will be able to buy or sell anything without permission from a centralized authority, i.e. everyone must take the 666 mark.

The enslavement comes from the top-down by eventually controlling everything, even where/how you allowed to breathe and reproduce.

In the meantime, yes it is possible to find ways to game the system. And some have argued that it will always be possible to game the system, but afaik prophecy disagrees.

I think basically your point is you don’t give a fuck about prophecy or the effect of debt control, politically correct totalitarianism control, and other forms of subjugation of the human species into a 1984 outcome.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:10:35 AM

But in reality, you're only a slave if you choose to be one. Even with central banking, you can choose to make them your tool instead of allowing them to control your life. Most people just lack the awareness to do this (for goods reasons).

We’ll according to prophecy, at the end times no one will be able to buy or sell anything without permission from a centralized authority, i.e. everyone must take the 666 mark.

The enslavement comes from the top-down by eventually controlling everything, even where/how you allowed to breathe and reproduce.

In the meantime, yes it is possible to find ways to game the system. And some have argued that it will always be possible to game the system, but afaik prophecy disagrees.
Prophecy is just part of the game. There is no "top down" unless you choose to believe in it.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:21:12 AM

Try and you'll find out. It seems like you'll be in for a surprise, since you actually appear to believe that you're just a bag of meat and bones instead of simply controlling a human body.

We're getting off-topic though.
Hyperme.sh (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:24:55 AM

since you actually appear to believe that you're just a bag of meat and bones instead of simply controlling a human body.

I do not think I wrote anything which indicated I think that. If you had read my archives, you would know I have even written about the possibility of time travel by discarding our body.

We're getting off-topic though.

Ok.

But let me see if I understood your stance correctly. Are you saying that we should not care at all about how we are deceived? That I am wasting my time by trying to analyse our deception?

So then what matters in this world? So we should not invest in Bitcoin or do anything because none of this matters?

Should I just take drugs all day because nothing matters any way?
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:31:36 AM

But let me see if I understood your stance correctly. Are you saying that we should not care at all about how we are deceived? That I am wasting my time by trying to analyse our deception?
Depends on how you define "wasting time". I personally overanalyze just about everything as well, because it's very enjoyable for me and I like experiencing as much as I possible can. Analyzing everything is part of that.

So then what matters in this world? So we should not invest in Bitcoin or do anything because none of this matters?
What do you want to matter in this world? That's the only relevant question - unless you want other questions to matter more. If someone wants to live on a farm instead of investing in Bitcoin then all power to them. That's one out of infinitely many ways to live out a human life and if I could I would probably choose to live out every possibility.

Should I just take drugs all day because nothing matters any way?
Sure, that's another way to live life. Not one that I currently find very appealing, but it's a way to experience a human life nonetheless. I have personally taken quite a lot of drugs, but I am not letting them take control of my life. I have a degree in science and I am learning about as many things as I can. Trying out mind-altering substances (as long as they are sufficiently safe) is just one (very small) aspect of my life. If someone else wants to base their whole life around taking drugs though, why should that be a problem?

Just because nothing really matters doesn't mean that you can't create your own meaning. That's what's so beautiful about reality, at least to me. I wouldn't want to have to live a life where success is predefined in one specific way, so I'm glad that nothing matters and that I can give my own meaning (or none) to life.
Hyperme.sh (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:38:49 AM

I wouldn't want to have to live a life where success is predefined in one specific way, so I'm glad that nothing matters and that I can give my own meaning (or none) to life.

If you read my archives, you will find that I have written nearly the same as your comments.

And I am trying to understand/decide/analyse what role I want partake in the move towards a one-world currency regime.

Ultimately I may too disappear on a farm or into a digital form just because I (and/or the Universe) chose that direction at some point.

But afaics we do not entirely choose our direction. I would not agree with you if you claimed we have totally ordered self-determination. We’re necessarily connected to and subject to the overall trend to maximum uncertainty (entropy), else the Universe would have to be certain (a total order) and computable (and thus we would not really exist in any sense of game or life any more than a photograph or a video is existence of those in it). The future and past light cones of relativity would be undifferentiated.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:49:20 AM

I wouldn't want to have to live a life where success is predefined in one specific way, so I'm glad that nothing matters and that I can give my own meaning (or none) to life.

If you read my archives, you will find that I have written nearly the same as your comments.

And I am trying to understand/decide/analyse what role I want partake in the move towards a one-world currency regime.
I have the same problem, which I guess is why I try out as many things as I possibly can. It's hard for me to decide on a single path since everything seems so interesting and exciting.

Ultimately I may too disappear on a farm or into a digital form just because I (and/or the Universe) chose that direction at some point.

But afaics we do not entirely choose our direction. I would not agree with you if you claimed we have totally ordered self-determination. We’re necessarily connected to and subject to the overall trend to maximum uncertainty (entropy), else the Universe would have to be certain (a total order) and computable (and thus we would not really exist in any sense of game or life any more than a photograph or a video is existence of those in it). The future and past light cones of relativity would be undifferentiated.
I think we're just not fully aware of our own actions. Think about how difficult it was to learn something new, like walking, writing, or using language. Now it just happens subconsciously. But we're still the ones responsible for it. We've just become so good at it that we stop paying attention to all the fine details of our own actions.

At some point we end up completely forgetting how we even learned to do all these things that we now take for granted, so it's no surprise that we end up feeling like we're not in control.
But the more attention you pay to yourself, the more aware you'll become of everything that is happening - and why/how it's happening. A part of what makes life as a human so fun is precisely how easy it is to get lost in this illusion of a "human life".

Relativity and light cones are just ways for a human to rationalize reality based on the filters through which a human is capable of perceiving it. But those explanations are ultimately just that. They're convincing, but not real. They're just part of creating your own reality - in which you choose what to believe in and what not.

By the way, all theories that are currently accepted in science are extremely incomplete, which at the same time had me disappointed and excited. I used to believe that there was "one fixed truth/explanation for everything", which is why I went into science - to find it. But all I found was that different humans tell different stories and none of them are any more true or false than any other.
Hyperme.sh (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:02:05 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 06:31:15 PM by Hyperme.sh

Okay but what I think I am saying is that we necessarily can’t have complete information for if we did than everything would be predetermined. Uncertainty must increase else we would be entirely alone, as no one else could be the in game except as our controlled slave.

Apparently even Einstein seemed to believe that the Second Law of Thermodynamics is fundamental/inviolable. (the point that the entropy[1] of the universe trends to maximum)

P.S. yes I am aware of for example the non-local variables issue in quantum mechanics, etc..

[1] Entropy means roughly in layman’s terms: the distributed-ness of uncertainty about specific outcomes.

If you had the information of the past and the future you would be aware of everything at once, which would be the same as being aware of nothing at all. So if you want to be able to experience any aspect of reality you must discard the information about everything else, at least temporarily.

That is my point.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics has already been violated on small scales

I added the edits above to make it clear I am referring to the universal scale.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:39:17 PM

Okay but what I think I am saying is that we necessarily can’t have complete information for if we did than everything would be predetermined. Uncertainty must increase else we would be entirely alone, as no one else could be the in game except as our controlled slave.

Apparently even Einstein seemed to believe that the Second Law of Thermodynamics is fundamental/inviolable.

P.S. yes I am aware of for example the non-local variables issue in quantum mechanics, etc..
The Second Law of Thermodynamics has already been violated on small scales (I'm not sure if you mean this with non-local variables in QM, because it can happen locally on small enough scales). Whether or not it's possible to violate it on larger scales is not known, but just because we haven't observed it happening yet doesn't mean it's not possible. It could just mean that we don't have good enough measurement devices or don't understand enough yet to observe this happening.
Also, I mean "game" metaphorically, don't take it too seriously. I don't think that reality is like a game that has been programmed. Programmed games follow rules, reality I'm pretty sure does not. At least not in a static way like in games or computer simulations. "Rules" in the real world are dynamic and change over time. Even physical constants appear to be changing and not be constant after all - although this hasn't been confirmed for sure yet.

I don't know if it's possible to have complete information or not by the way. But imagine what an existence with complete information would be like. Imagine if you know everything that has happened, that is happening, and that will happen all at the same time. Would there be any change to be aware of? Would there even be a next moment? The fact that you experience change right now and get to taste different things, see different things, see things moving, and so on, is all because you have incomplete information.

If you had the information of the past and the future you would be aware of everything at once, which would be the same as being aware of nothing at all. So if you want to be able to experience any aspect of reality you must discard the information about everything else, at least temporarily.
Hyperme.sh (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:36:45 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2017, 12:20:01 PM by Hyperme.sh

It’s not clear to me if we go directly to the $trillions mcap or have another crypto winter interim. The arguments for the former are somewhat compelling. A phase-shift transition normally moves to much greater extremes. Also worry about ICO crackdowns, SegWit attacks, etc, would be indications of not yet being near the top. Near the top, everyone will entirely forget those precautions (and that is when they occur in order to steal from the most people, i.e. the vast majority have to be on the wrong side of the trade). So my precautions are usually premature, as I am highly contrarian.

I’ve been hearing from others (since roughly $2000) about them hearing from other investors (from outside our ecosystem) asking about Bitcoin. And here is the reason:

I found this discussion with Marc Andreessen to be very interesting (points I more or less already know yet focused my attention):

http://ritholtz.com/2017/05/mib-marc-andreessen-venture-capitalist-a16z/

(Btw, at the 36 min point he entirely validated my Knowledge Age thesis).

So then the question becomes, if the serious money is coming, where will it be treated best (if at all)? Who will be shown to have been full of shit? Where will the enduring opportunities exist for investors and what are just speculative gambles? Or is it all just a gamble on an unknowable future?

It’s worth reminding ourselves, as Marc Andreessen has, that all of the big internet ideas from the late 1990’s ended up coming true. The thing is, the companies that made them happen weren’t necessarily the original stocks we traded. For every horrible investment during the boom and crash, there was the kernel of an idea that ended up becoming precisely true.

We laughed at Peapod and Webvan, but then a generation later we saw the rise of Fresh Direct and then the purchase of Whole Foods by Amazon.

[…]

Anyway, there is a possibility that all of the online currency stuff of today will be a bust for investors, even as the idea proves too irrepressible to be killed off by a speculative crash.

And the follow-up and notice the one-sided viewpoint driven by Coinbase and Lightning Networks representation not balanced by anyone from China or other viewpoints (they openly deride Roger Ver and by implication Bitmain and China, not that I think that highly of Ver):

Rounding out the panel is someone who, in my view, could become the most important person in the room of things develop the way I think they could. Her name is Elizabeth Stark, the co-founder and CEO of Lightning Labs and she is undeniably a rock star. Elizabeth is building the so-called second layer on top of the block chain for Bitcoin, the user interface that will allow for transactions to be more facile for the masses. “Right now, every transaction in Bitcoin gets recorded on 100,000 computers around the world. That’s the power of the decentralized network – the proof of ownership of the currency. But does that make sense for me buying a cup of coffee? Do 100,000 computers have to use their computing power to update the chain for something like that?” She’s building the solution for this problem.

[…]

Which coin?

So which coins or tokens are worthy of investing in? The consensus still seems to be that Bitcoin is the one. The original Bitcoin people look down their noses at the Ethereum people. “What’s your problem, why do you need to do this?” they sneer, referring to ETH people as “Eth-heads” in message boards, from what I’m told. Ethereum’s fatal flaw as a bet on upside is that the amount of ETH will not be capped. Bitcoin will only ever have 21 million outstanding units, hence the scarcity bet being made now. With Ethereum, there isn’t going to be scarcity. Which is why some people are saying its current price “makes no sense.”

From what was explained to me, the only reason for the run up in ether is that you need it to participate in ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings – an alternative to a traditional IPO where a company raises money via Ethereum). Bitcoin is “dumb” in that it can only be used for exchange or storing value. Ethereum is said to be “smart” because it can be used to codify one party’s responsibility to another, like a contract. So all the hedge funds and traders flipping ICOs need to first buy ETH coins. Bitcoin doesn’t get used for ICOs. Yet.

I won’t spend a lot of time on Bitcoin Cash, which was created from the fork this summer, other than to relay to you that everyone says it’s shit.

When someone talks about an unproven rock star, they usually have drunk some Koolaid. Btw, I listened to this Elizabeth Stark in a few YouTube videos and she has errors in her remarks (e.g. that LN can be decentralized, etc). (Frankly I got so bored by her verbiage, I couldn’t listen for very long)

Okay, so here is my thought.

The Chinaman got together with the WallStreet folks and did the NYA to foster a bubble. But I have posited in this thread (and the companion thread) that the Chinaman has a scheme up his sleeve (and he is backed by very very powerful players behind the curtain who play both sides of the coin).

We’re obviously in a phase transition right now, and the big money is starting to notice. But how long will this phase transition go on before it reaches nosebleed and needs to take dive? $8000 - $10,000 within a month? Then we’ll get some exhale (not dive) into altcoins because of the risk of the 2x fork in November (and my bets are still on LTC and BCH for the reasons I already explained because I expect 2X to fail to be adopted). Then $25,000 by Q1 2018? That would take us to ~$0.5 trillion market cap (perhaps $1 trillion overall including all altcoins), which would presumably set the gears into motion to insure the institutional players want in. And will the catalyst for any subsequent dive be dire (e.g. the SegWit attack I posited) and create a winter? Will the big money get the “custodian insurance” they need in time to come in and support this phase transition before any such crypto winter?

And whether SegWit, Lightning Networks, and ICOs (i.e. the current paradigms that the current phase transition are hinged on) are the paradigms that will take us to this future?

It seems the vehicles are being created to allow more speculative players into the market, but afaics the institutional players will not be able to buy into this bubble within the next few months:

My only though is that with LedgerX (CFTC regulated) derivatives now here, I'm especially hesitant to say we'll see a crypto winter, at least not before we see much higher prices.

That seems to be a significant development. I was not aware of that. So indeed more leverage means a greater possible swing to the upside […]

My thought is indeed we are heading into a bubble right here and right now. The price is probably going much higher. Everyone thinks Lightning Networks is coming and Bitcoin scaling is on the way. It’s the Dot.com bubble redux, but the Warren Buffetts aren’t buying yet (and he was correct about Dot.com yet he admits he missed the boat on 2.0 and not investing in Amazon).

But what if as I had explained that LN is fundamentally flawed and will damage the security of Bitcoin (not just the “pay to anyone” theft potential but also the garbage collection spikes, Mt. Box centralization, fractional reserves, and other issues I explained in the companion thread)?

What if Bitcoin will be the reserve currency (of both altcoins and eventually the nation-state Central Banks) and some other altcoin and technology will end up being the medium-of-exchange for this sector (and yes I am specifically thinking about my decentralized ledger technology!), i.e. Bitcoin will be the Fat Protocol and reap most of the benefits any way (even if it does not directly scale transaction volume, it scales economically as the reserve currency):

There’s a concept called Fat Protocols, which goes something like this: Tim Berners Lee, who effectively invented the World Wide Web in 1989, didn’t really reap much of the financial benefit for his creation. All the monetary rewards went to the companies who built things on top of the HTTP protocol or the FTP protocol etc. Yahoo, Google, AOL, Facebook – those were the winners. The protocols that actually run the web didn’t retain any value in and of themselves. The Fat Protocols theory says that in crypto currencies it will be the other way around – most of the value will accrue to the network itself (in the form of the coins’ values) and there will be a very thin layer of value on top for companies that create things. I don’t know if that will be true, I’m just passing it along.

What if SegWit is destroyed (and miners profit and are heros for it), ICOs are destroyed, Bitcoin’s immutability and security is retained and we ride off into the future with a huge ecosystem that works better. This scenario is a long-term positive outlook, but with a potential crypto winter bust along the way.

Most of the early returns of the web came from speculative, hype-driven bubbles and a lot of (effectively) scams. After the bust comes sustainability, just as most legitimate Bitcoin businesses came after the 2013 crash. So I'm actually encouraged by the presence of speculative bubbles, not for their destructive power, or for the opportunity for easy, early profits (which is not interesting to those like you and me who are focused on long term change), but because our pattern recognition tells us "retail" bubbles at a stage in the cycle when the new technology is underdeveloped are often a strong indicator of long-term deployment.

Seems there is a lot of expectation of the BIG MONEY pouring in sooner, but what if it doesn’t arrive in time?

It is very difficult to make ANY prediction right now, because financial and investor institutions, also BIG ones, are at the starting line.
Once one will begin to offer clients Bitcoin, the others will simply HAVE TO FOLLOW. That's when another big boom will come.
It's a matter of months. May happen on November, may happen on December, but it may also burn the fuse on January or February, very difficult to say.

Edit: I just saw this which then concurs with what I wrote:

Bitcoin Price Lingers Below $6k As Post-Fork Altcoin Rally Expected

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-price-lingers-below-6k-as-post-fork-altcoin-rally-expected

Following the network snapshot for the first of the forks, Bitcoin Gold, money could quickly flow back into altcoins, traders are suggesting.

You agree?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: