Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:11:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jalapeno Raspberry Pi @ 36 Watts - Delicious!  (Read 12664 times)
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:14:46 AM

Hi canton I know this might of been asked already but when did you get your BFL and how long was your wait?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:38:34 AM

Cool, gz  Cool
Hephaestus

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:26:21 PM

Please solar power it, just to be the first and show it can be done with a little 50w panel...Cool

A 50 watt panel would only be enough to power it during the day, and probably not the whole day either.
I'd recommend a 200-300 watt panel, a deep-cycle battery around 80-100 amp-hours, and a charge controller - this way it could run 24/7 only on solar power, worst case scenario that battery could run it for at least a full 24 hours.

how much would this setup cost??  and can i get the stuff at bitcoinstore?  

I only glanced at the bitcoinstore, but it looks like no, you can't.  Additionally, you can't get wet lead-acid batteries shipped to you, you'd be better off looking for them locally (make sure to get deep-cycle, not a car battery).
It's not quite as simple as I made it sound, you'd need to get the solar panel properly mounted at a good angle so it gets the most possible sun, plus run wire down through the roof to wherever you decided to put it.
The panel would be around $200-300, http://www.wholesalesolar.com/ has some of the best prices I've seen (but if anyone's seen better, please, do share).
Probably around $100 for a decent charge controller for 12V batteries, and at least $100 for a good battery.
Don't forget, $30-50 for a DC-DC supply, you can't plug the Jalepeno straight into the battery because it's not regulated.

It's pretty hard to justify the cost for this when you're only pulling 36 watts...this kind of setup I suggested is more for someone who wants to run it completely off-grid, which is often impractical.
glowkeeper

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 03:44:45 PM

You're right to celebrate - lovely setup Smiley Congratulations......

I have my Pi running a rig of 9 fpga's, consuming about 10x that for around the same hashrate Sad

ps. move to somewhere a few thousand feet above sea level, buy a small windturbine and run it off that instead of solar. Much more reliable....
villex

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Mining hardware assembler and administrator.

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:31:38 PM

Please solar power it, just to be the first and show it can be done with a little 50w panel...Cool

A 50 watt panel would only be enough to power it during the day, and probably not the whole day either.
I'd recommend a 200-300 watt panel, a deep-cycle battery around 80-100 amp-hours, and a charge controller - this way it could run 24/7 only on solar power, worst case scenario that battery could run it for at least a full 24 hours.

how much would this setup cost??  and can i get the stuff at bitcoinstore?  

I only glanced at the bitcoinstore, but it looks like no, you can't.  Additionally, you can't get wet lead-acid batteries shipped to you, you'd be better off looking for them locally (make sure to get deep-cycle, not a car battery).
It's not quite as simple as I made it sound, you'd need to get the solar panel properly mounted at a good angle so it gets the most possible sun, plus run wire down through the roof to wherever you decided to put it.
The panel would be around $200-300, http://www.wholesalesolar.com/ has some of the best prices I've seen (but if anyone's seen better, please, do share).
Probably around $100 for a decent charge controller for 12V batteries, and at least $100 for a good battery.
Don't forget, $30-50 for a DC-DC supply, you can't plug the Jalepeno straight into the battery because it's not regulated.

It's pretty hard to justify the cost for this when you're only pulling 36 watts...this kind of setup I suggested is more for someone who wants to run it completely off-grid, which is often impractical.

Maybe you want to pay with BTC http://www.gogreensolar.com/
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:10:12 PM

What a great idea with the Jalapeno! I have a Jalapeno on order and need to order a Raspberry PI to get on the learning process.

Is there any documentation on how to set up the Raspberry PI for this? I note this one site for setting up the OS - Minepeon : http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/
Would this be the easiest OS for the PI?

I have questions like:
How does the PI connect to your mining pool as it is all command line based, yes? (Do you set up an account and then manually enter the settings of the account into the PI???)
How easy is it to control the PI from your computer via your router?

Input guys would be greatly appreciated for those of us without a ton of computer experience.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 12:25:43 PM

What a great idea with the Jalapeno! I have a Jalapeno on order and need to order a Raspberry PI to get on the learning process.

Is there any documentation on how to set up the Raspberry PI for this? I note this one site for setting up the OS - Minepeon : http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/

I have questions like:
How does the PI connect to your mining pool as it is all command line based, yes? (Do you set up an account and then manually enter the settings of the account into the PI???)

Input guys would be greatly appreciated for those of us without a ton of computer experience.

Ive not used Minepeon, i just use a striped down version of Raspbian. Seemed pretty straightforward to me, but then ive been using linux for a very long time.. I never hooked a monitor/keyboard to my pi, ever. Only use ssh to set it up.

From what i read here on the forums is that most non-linux native people use Minepeon and are happy with it.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:56:07 PM

I have questions like:

Ive not used Minepeon, i just use a striped down version of Raspbian. Seemed pretty straightforward to me, but then ive been using linux for a very long time.. I never hooked a monitor/keyboard to my pi, ever. Only use ssh to set it up.

From what i read here on the forums is that most non-linux native people use Minepeon and are happy with it.

Thanks, I didn't know there where other OS's to use on the PI for "mining". Do you know about the advantages/disadvantages to each? (I do have a strong linux background but got out of it due to a career change years ago, so am a bit wet behind the ears.) I guess, what is the easiest for someone without the tech background anymore? (But I'm able to follow instructions of course).

Can you add to my questions in my original reply above?

Thanks for the start,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
glowkeeper

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 08:53:19 PM

I have questions like:

Thanks, I didn't know there where other OS's to use on the PI for "mining". Do you know about the advantages/disadvantages to each? (I do have a strong linux background but got out of it due to a career change years ago, so am a bit wet behind the ears.) I guess, what is the easiest for someone without the tech background anymore? (But I'm able to follow instructions of course).

Can you add to my questions in my original reply above?

Thanks for the start,
IAS

Raspbian is the official disk image for the Pi.

I have the same setup; sans monitor and keyboard and ssh to my Pi over my network. I'm an old 'nix hat as well, so it really wasn't too taxing to get up and running; I think I just read the install guide for cgminer (rtfm anyone?) and found the right modprobe command for my mining cards. Might've been one or two other things I did, but nothing major....

I think Minepeon is Raspbian with all that stuff done for you. If you're not used to a command line, I'd suggest it'd be a good option....
Svennisen

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:00:47 PM

So there is no need for a powered usb hub?

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
glowkeeper

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 07:16:13 PM

Dunno where you got that assumption from. I have 2 of these for my 9 fpga cards running off my pi: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R921SE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jimmy3dita

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:55:12 PM

I'm also a Raspberry miner, unfortunately with only some FPGAs, probably it's the best "computer" I've ever used to mine.

I'd add just a wi-fi dongle so you can really put it anywhere!

Acquista il mio libro "Investire Bitcoin": clicca qui
canton (OP)

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 11:11:21 PM

Correct, for running a Jalapeno, you do not need a hub. It runs great plugged directly into the Pi.
glowkeeper

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 11:53:20 PM

Correct, for running a Jalapeno, you do not need a hub. It runs great plugged directly into the Pi.

Spot the difference? I have 9 usb devices, he only has 1 Wink
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:00:54 AM

In which case, a POWERED usb hub would still not be necessary.  Roll Eyes

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
nikycoin

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:13:23 AM

I ordered a Pi yesterday after that i saw this thread , as soon as i get my jala ill try to do the same power efficient setup hehe thx again for the idea bro !!
glowkeeper

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 12:41:55 AM

In which case, a POWERED usb hub would still not be necessary.  Roll Eyes

Really? I don't need a powered hub? Hmph Sad
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:50:17 AM

Not if you have externally powered devices.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
farproc

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

ALGORY.io Crowdsale starts on 8/12/2017

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:55:11 PM

I am ming with ASIC block Eruptor USBs and a Raspberry. Waiting for my Avalon though.

▀███████████████▄▄
              █████████████████
               █████████████████
                █████████████████
                 █████████████████
                  █████████████████
        ▄▄▄▄       █████████████████
    ▄██████████▄    █████████████████
   ██████████████    █████████████████
  ████████████████    █████████████████
 ██████████████████    █████████████████
 ██████████████████     █████████████████
 ██████████████████      █████████████████
  ████████████████        █████████████████
   ██████████████          █████████████████
    ▀██████████▀            ▀████████████████▄
       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
ALGORY  Multifunctional Tool for Cryptocurrency Trading 
Join Whitelist and Get 20% Bonus┃CROWDSALE ON DEC. 8
           ░████████████▒
       ░████████████████████░
     ░████████████████████████▒
   ░████████████████████████████░
  ░██████████████████   █████████▒
 ░███████████████      ▒██████████░
 █████████████         ████████████
░██████████            ████████████░
░██████                ████████████▒
░█████████████▒▒      ▒████████████▒
 ████████████████     █████████████░
 ▒████████████████    ████████████▒
  ▒████████████████▒  ████████████
   ░█████████████████ ██████████▒
     ██████████████████████████░
       ▒█████████████████████
          ░██████████████▒
glowkeeper

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:10:10 PM

Not if you have externally powered devices.

Thanks Smiley I'll bear that in mind next time. I bought powered because I'd been reading that the pi is much stabler with them.....
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: