Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:25:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the importance of HODLing - CMC 2016 vs 2017  (Read 1795 times)
jostorres

Activity: 2464
Merit: 585

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:52:39 AM

I will wisely let the facts speak for themselves and sit back with a tub of popcorn to watch the debate:

Coinmarketcap screenshot October 2016
[im g]http://preview.ibb.co/jR7hQm/cmc16.jpg[/img]

Coinmarketcap screenshot October 2017
[im g]http://preview.ibb.co/iEarJ6/cmc17.jpg[/img][/b]
That is a very huge difference mate and I am trying to picture what the CMC is going to be like in 2018. Anyone with me? No one could have thought last year that this would be an exponential growth but there we have it.

HODLing has always been good for the crypto world in this our time and even with the little adoption so far, picturing the difference is enough for me to believe the future is just perfect!

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
kabit9 (OP)

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 03:14:26 PM

yes the future looks quite bright...

fasdorcas

Activity: 798
Merit: 527

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 07:18:59 PM

Good point, but the main issue is: do you need the money now?

If so, convert to fiat but just as much as you are in need of. If not, let it grow.

Makes sense?
First and foremost, stop spamming the forum if you have nothing tangible to contribute.
Secondly, it is as simple as it sounds. Buy and HODL, that is just how anyone can make money. I am sure even if you tell an ignorant man that, they will simply understand without issue.
7xminer

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 07:27:56 PM

I will wisely let the facts speak for themselves and sit back with a tub of popcorn to watch the debate:

Coinmarketcap screenshot October 2016
http://preview.ibb.co/jR7hQm/cmc16.jpg

Coinmarketcap screenshot October 2017
http://preview.ibb.co/iEarJ6/cmc17.jpg

Wow, impressive images! I'm new to this world so starting to see some return now. I can't wait to see what the future holds (HODL hehehe). But I think the big change was 2016 to 2017 and let's hope that continues that way.
Oakey22

Activity: 488
Merit: 322

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 07:48:31 PM

Always remember to HODL, this year has been silly profitable if people sold at the right time. I don't think next year will be a repeat.
HARRYscotter

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:15:44 PM

Insane year indeed. The problem I get and what bugs me most is deciding the amount I should convert to fiat from the profit. It's easy to say HODL or leave it all there but fiat is still needed in a day to day basis, wish I could leave all the profits sitting there though.

██████████  ✔  PoSToken - First PoS Smart Contract Token - Get Your Free Tokens Now!
█     PoSToken    █  ✔  Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO  ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
██████████  ✔  ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
_Dawid_

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 10:52:57 PM

For sure now everyone even this resistant should understand the importance of HODLing.
I am wondering, if the market capacity will grow for 1 year since now with the similar growth like in 16-17' years is it even probably?
I wish I had seen this pictures year ago. But now I want to create similar one, maybe not with top 10 because market cap is so huge what gives me less chances. I still strongly beleieve in altcoins so only thing i need to do is to pick the most promising one and HODL...
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 04:37:49 AM

Insane year indeed. The problem I get and what bugs me most is deciding the amount I should convert to fiat from the profit. It's easy to say HODL or leave it all there but fiat is still needed in a day to day basis, wish I could leave all the profits sitting there though.
Investing in crypto does not mean you have to invest everything in your wallet. A certain portion of your monthly or daily income should only be considered in your investment and most of your income should still go for your day by day expenses. You can't eat altcoins, so you have to secure some fiat to buy the things you need.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
babsjoe

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:05:16 AM

Like they say! One picture is worth more than a thousand words! In this case the picture posted and the crazy number difference from both picture is worth more than a 10million words to me! Dismissing something that can practically change your lives may be the worst things anyone can do to himself!
1L0v3

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:17:59 AM

This is a great example as it does reduce my natural scepticism of altcoins and shows the top tier to be more stable than I expected in terms of continued presence, but I wonder at what point in the charts you start to see 50+% of the coins lose money over a year?
kabit9 (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:47:41 AM

This is a great example as it does reduce my natural scepticism of altcoins and shows the top tier to be more stable than I expected in terms of continued presence, but I wonder at what point in the charts you start to see 50+% of the coins lose money over a year?

at all points in the chart.   if you actually choose poor coins with dubious devs or no real concrete roadmap, they have their own chart which usually looks like a quick pump and dump leading to a painfully slow coma (with pumpy blips along the way).  Good strong names, I believe have a good and strong future.  No doubt corrections will happen and this market is more volatile than any other, but we are long term HODLers, no?  If that is indeed the case, a 30-40% dip in a few weeks/months is quite meaningless if we are looking at a few X return in a few years.  Keep things in perspective and HODL.

another point i would like to bring up is that of Ethereum who's price has just flown since January. I believe the main reason is that so many ERC20 tokens are coming out, with the latest wave of e-tokens (ebtc, eltc, edgoge, emydogsname, etc). Most of these are get rich quick schemes by the devs, several have contract flaws in them. These are today collectively worth a few hundred million if not a few billion dollars in real money.  This is a bubble waiting to pop and just needs a trigger (regulation would most likely be it). Personally I believe this will strongly affect the price of Ether and expose several vulnerabilities in the platform. At what point in time this will happen is anyone's guess but I believe we can see the bubble expand to a Collective Market Cap of over a trillion USD before she's ready to pop!

feelideb

Activity: 770
Merit: 101

fLibero.financial

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:56:26 AM

Numbers don't lie. Pre 2016 was turbulent though. There were many ups and down in the crypto! And those people who hold on to bitcoin  through it all are the legend in crypto world! Can you imagine if everyone gave it all up we will not have hard valuable bitcoin we have today!

TucoRamirez

Activity: 330
Merit: 123

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:20:56 AM

Great point. But let' not forget that BTC also dropped from $1200 to $200 ish and stayed in that range for a long long while. It's very easy to make a one year side by side comparison when that year had been EXCEPTIONALLY good (and unusual) for the crypto short history.
Let's also not forget that at that time bitcoin was nothing. He had no distribution and the particular application. Now the situation is completely different. It integrates global companies and used to pay for goods and services + now in the world of great political instability and people are buying bitcoin.
Agree, the world is becoming increasingly unstable, geopolitical and financial control structures are changing.  And along come cryptos at what could not have been a more suited time, as a proof based alternative.  Don't think you need Einstein's wisdom to see the logic in that.  I am not saying bitcoin and others will grow 10x per year for the next 5 years, but they will definitely grow at a faster pace than other so called financial assets.
Moz90

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:36:35 AM

some ico's are there for a quick flip but the real gems are ones to hodl
KKbit

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 08:43:13 PM

What a year it has been indeed. If I can remember, it was in those months between April and July when it all started. All the coins got pumped for no reason, even coins that were abandoned, there was a huge flux of newcomers and new money coming daily.

I believe we will have some more runs like those when crypto really goes mainstream.

kabit9 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 05:20:40 PM

What a year it has been indeed. If I can remember, it was in those months between April and July when it all started. All the coins got pumped for no reason, even coins that were abandoned, there was a huge flux of newcomers and new money coming daily.

I believe we will have some more runs like those when crypto really goes mainstream.

indeed, i believe we will see the hedge funders start stepping in the coming months in droves, like zombies starved of blood (read fund managers starved of returns).

LeonardoDiCrypto

Activity: 340

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 05:26:34 PM

Well, but I also remember the bear market which started in 2014 and which lasted a few years. Bitcoin was 1000$ in early 2014 and it went down 80% and it took until 2017 to climb back to 1000$ and to overtake it. So if you are seeing this amazing capitalization of 2017, nothing forbids that next year it may again retrace 80% lower. So if you are in hodl mood, you must be ready to hodl for many tears.
Vatimins

Activity: 987
Merit: 289

Blue0x.com

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 05:40:29 PM

Damn, should've HODL more or bought more when i cashed out. Damn it. I would've had a lot of profit if i decided to hidl more. Tss :/ hate this personality that wants to see profits fast. I decided to cashe out when i saw the aimed profit and traded some of the profit, while invested some on promising ICOs. And bought back with the capital i had. Tss.. oh well, profit is profit, at least i didn't lose my investment and made even a lot more investments.

░░           ▒░     
      ░▒▓▓░           ░▒▒░░░ 
   ▒▓▓██▒░              ▒▓▒▒▒▒
 ▓█▓▓█▒                 ▒▒░░▒▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░              ░▒▒▒░░ ▒
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▓
  ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▓█▒
   ░▒▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░
       ░▒█▓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒░  
        ░██████▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒    
         ███▓▓▓░░▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▒    
         ░██▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▒░░   
           ▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▒░░    
             ▒▒▒▒▓▓▒░
|
|

██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:32:20 AM

Well, but I also remember the bear market which started in 2014 and which lasted a few years. Bitcoin was 1000$ in early 2014 and it went down 80% and it took until 2017 to climb back to 1000$ and to overtake it. So if you are seeing this amazing capitalization of 2017, nothing forbids that next year it may again retrace 80% lower. So if you are in hodl mood, you must be ready to hodl for many tears.
Based on the latest trend, it won't be happening again. Of course it will go down but it will not go down as low as 80% less. People become more educated about its importance and if you really believe in bitcoin, you won't sell it that low. And as far as I know, the 2014 dips was caused by China and most of the dips are because of FUD coming from China's statements. But see how people react. The dips are just for a short while. It didn't continue for many months.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
TucoRamirez

Activity: 330
Merit: 123

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:15:00 AM

Based on the latest trend, it won't be happening again. Of course it will go down but it will not go down as low as 80% less. People become more educated about its importance and if you really believe in bitcoin, you won't sell it that low. And as far as I know, the 2014 dips was caused by China and most of the dips are because of FUD coming from China's statements. But see how people react. The dips are just for a short while. It didn't continue for many months.

Very much agree with Xianbits.  I am not expecting things to keep going up at astronomical rates indefinitely, and a lot of alt-bubbles will pop along the way, but now the technology behind blockchain and cryptocurrencies in general is a lot better understood than 2014-2015. They have proven themselves over the past years and now people are beginning to realize that these are not just guys making digital monopoly money, but they can actually be useful and change the world in more ways than they ever expected (ofcourse this is a cause for concern and fear too).  But I don't think an 80% retracement and lagging momentum for extended period is foreseeable going ahead.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: