Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:10:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the importance of HODLing - CMC 2016 vs 2017  (Read 1795 times)
CryptotradeGMO
Copper Member

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:18:18 AM

Hodling stays for holding, it got written long in an Internetblog which the
Fatoshi

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:47:23 AM

Most trade way too much. If they picked a bunch of solid projects and then forgot about them for a couple of years im sure 90% of traders would make more money than they do thinking they are Gordon Gecko from their parents basement and trading daily.
Pleione527

Activity: 266
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:58:29 AM

This is what's new investors need to know and maybe read and try to understand, holding bitcoin in a long run gives a higher chance of good earnings and if you have many investment this can possibly a way to make you a big person in the future, it is true that investing in bitcoin can make you rich if you know how to handle them wisely. I'm glad I already start investing this year the price when I buy bitcoin is only $3000 and it really a good pump now.
TucoRamirez

Activity: 330
Merit: 123

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 09:37:44 AM

This is what's new investors need to know and maybe read and try to understand, holding bitcoin in a long run gives a higher chance of good earnings and if you have many investment this can possibly a way to make you a big person in the future, it is true that investing in bitcoin can make you rich if you know how to handle them wisely. I'm glad I already start investing this year the price when I buy bitcoin is only $3000 and it really a good pump now.

I also consider myself late to the party and only got in this June/July around $2700 / BTC.  Anyhow, this is a party I'm definitely pleased as punch to arrive at (albeit a tad late..).
btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 09:51:37 AM

A lot of the times i feel like new, inexperienced traders tend to focus on small short term profits and call it a day instead of looking at the big picture and having patience to wait for a bit before dumping their stash.

Often, that's how you get the most profits.

Altcoins are in full blossom rightn ow, some projects that seem dead will get revived eventually. You just need patience.
kabit9 (OP)

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:26:08 AM

A lot of the times i feel like new, inexperienced traders tend to focus on small short term profits and call it a day instead of looking at the big picture and having patience to wait for a bit before dumping their stash.

Altcoins are in full blossom rightn ow, some projects that seem dead will get revived eventually. You just need patience.

and some projects that are fully hyped up right now, will no longer exist in a few years. perhaps some of the devs will even own lambos  Grin

Rinaze

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:31:19 AM

It would be very interesting to see the comparison chart years after years starting from 2017 until crypto is mass adopted. I believe the trend might change from there on quite drastically.

feelideb

Activity: 770
Merit: 101

fLibero.financial

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:38:39 AM

People need to understand that money do not  fall from the sky. The only way to get what you want is through patience and hard work. Holding is more hard work that you can imagine. Development on your holding will surely bring you riches.

xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:43:42 AM

Nice comparison.

Holding is going to be long term the best option for any cryptocurrency traders out there. Plain and simple, just because of the fact that you need to give altcoins time to perform. Nothing can happen overnight. Plus, day trades are way too tiresome and you need to work around the clock.

Just don't expect crazy returns to always happen, this pump has been crazy.
btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:49:06 AM

and some projects that are fully hyped up right now, will no longer exist in a few years. perhaps some of the devs will even own lambos  Grin

Very true but overall i think that holding is a much better strategy than selling off as soon as you see a small amount of profit being made. Sure the latter may seem profitable but if you pick the right coins to invest in in the first place, they need time to develop and show their true potential.

Another thing is, if you don't hold on a coin that is on a downward slope and panic dump, you can lose money. When the pump comes you're missing out. You're taking on a risk, yes, but with that risk comes great rewards(e.g. Monacoin right now).
JimiPorter

Activity: 16
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:57:32 AM

Good point, but the main issue is: do you need the money now?

If so, convert to fiat but just as much as you are in need of. If not, let it grow.

Makes sense?
First and foremost, stop spamming the forum if you have nothing tangible to contribute.
Secondly, it is as simple as it sounds. Buy and HODL, that is just how anyone can make money. I am sure even if you tell an ignorant man that, they will simply understand without issue.

Dear fasdorcas,

It is a tangible contribution, as you put it.
I understand English must not be your first language, but please be careful with your words.

Jimi.
ice18

Activity: 2492
Merit: 542

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:59:06 AM

Great comparison it only says that we should buy coins at cheap price hodl it for 1-2 years no matter what happen just hodl it and become a millionaire in 3 years.

diguyo

Activity: 274

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:59:52 AM

Looking back at 2016 makes me both happy and sad. Great that I made the profits I did. Gutted that I didn't go in with more when it was so low.

unarcher

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:25:11 AM

Performance of past does not represent future performance.
Some coins disappeared  since last year, and holders of theses are down right now.
2016 to 2017 was a price explosion, I highly doubt we would see the same huge returns next year. Market would certainly grow, but I dont expect such a high increase.

Holding is not always the best move.
If you were smart and sold alts before the blood bath for BTC, then buy them again a bit before BTGold fork, you just did a +30%
Holders lost a bit cause alts did not recover to their old ATH

styca

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:31:49 AM

Hodling is good, but it is sensible to combine with a bit of trading. Sometimes trading opportunites are obvious with patterns lasting for long periods of time, and it is easy to increase your coins. The trick is to avoid temptation to trade too often or when there are no strong and persistent patterns.
kabit9 (OP)

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:16:31 AM

Performance of past does not represent future performance.
Some coins disappeared  since last year, and holders of theses are down right now.
2016 to 2017 was a price explosion, I highly doubt we would see the same huge returns next year. Market would certainly grow, but I dont expect such a high increase.

Holding is not always the best move.
If you were smart and sold alts before the blood bath for BTC, then buy them again a bit before BTGold fork, you just did a +30%
Holders lost a bit cause alts did not recover to their old ATH

actually holding is generally proven to give better returns than 90% of traders (this applies across assets not just cryptos).  a good trade here and there will make you feel smart, but hodling reminds you of your wisdom Smiley

TucoRamirez

Activity: 330
Merit: 123

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:36:59 PM

HODLLLL!   I am accumulating a HODL portfolio consisting of BTC, LTC, XRP, NEO, NEM, WAVES, XMR and a few others.  I believe I should have a smile on my face in 8-12 months time!  Smiley
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:59:49 PM

I will wisely let the facts speak for themselves and sit back with a tub of popcorn to watch the debate:

Coinmarketcap screenshot October 2016

Coinmarketcap screenshot October 2017

The fun fact is, you would have been better just holding bitcoin in most cases.

I understand that it's pretty attractive to get some altcoins, hold them and find out you went up against bitcoin in order to make bitcoin gains, but it seems this is become increasingly harder. As BTC goes up, most altcoins struggle to go up against BTC. Just look at the graphs and realize the orange graph is barely moving on altcoins, altcoins just pump against fiat. Less and less people want to dump their BTC for alts anymore.
alex_rada

Activity: 203

This is bat country!

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 06:15:48 PM

The importance of "hodling" is not to forget how hold is actually spelled. Is it just me or this hodl joke stopped being funny a few years ago?
And to be on topic, I think http://deadcoins.com/ disagrees with you. Investing money in crypto and literally forgetting about it for a few years seems downright stupid. Don't assume that if Bitcoin rose so much in value the same thing is going to happen with every shitcoin around.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 06:34:20 PM

The importance of "hodling" is not to forget how hold is actually spelled. Is it just me or this hodl joke stopped being funny a few years ago?
And to be on topic, I think http://deadcoins.com/ disagrees with you. Investing money in crypto and literally forgetting about it for a few years seems downright stupid. Don't assume that if Bitcoin rose so much in value the same thing is going to happen with every shitcoin around.

You are right, not every "shitcoin" will increase it's price. I don't even think their price should increase at all, but pump and dump will always be around, and that's why they are here for I guess. But if holding "pump and dump" coins is stupid, and I'm sure most people won't do it, holding bitcoin, or ethereum, or litecoin, or any of those major coins that already have proven that they actually have some value and real use, is very important in my opinion, not just because of the profit it might give you, but because of the support you are showing. I don't really need these pictures to hold my coins. I don't really hold BTC because the price is rising. I hold BTC because they have amazing potencial of use.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████