Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:35:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you secure your bitcoins?  (Read 1661 times)
BitcoinCommodor

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 04:57:41 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been doing research on securing bitcoins in wallets and I was wondering what everyone does. I am currently using a few paper wallets. I don't really like it because its a one way street if you want them secure. I was looking at the ledger nano s and was wondering what people thought about it. How many bitcoins can it hold? should I wait for the ledger blue? any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CoinChaos
I think that desktop wallets such as armory and electrum are also secure, if you are looking for an alternative expect for hardware wallets, consider using desktop wallets. I am currently using an online wallets but I am thinking of installing armory on my desktop for extra security.
Security is the main issue for all the bitcoin holders, the service providers are trying to give their account holders the most strongest security system in the world but the hackers are also trying to reach and break their security system to hack the accounts of the customers. I think we can do nothing for the security of our bitcoin wallets. I will just suggest not investing all the money you have.
kimpena

Activity: 250
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:02:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been doing research on securing bitcoins in wallets and I was wondering what everyone does. I am currently using a few paper wallets. I don't really like it because its a one way street if you want them secure. I was looking at the ledger nano s and was wondering what people thought about it. How many bitcoins can it hold? should I wait for the ledger blue? any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CoinChaos
I am just using mobile wallets, this is the most efficient wallet i can have. I have a laptop, but I do not prefer using desktop wallet cause I do not bring with me my laptop always, unlike my phone, which is ome of the things I cannot go without. Its secure for me, cause I am the only one who knows the password.

Vladv26

Activity: 321
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:32:03 PM

Keep your bitcoin in a paper wallet or an offline hardware wallet. Also spread all your bitcoins in multiple adresses and wallets with different private keys because hackers are not going to target wallets with low amount of bitcoins. They are looking for something big that worth the waste of time. Be very careful what website you acces and what programs you install on your computer and mobile phone. Even the best secure app can be dangerous in a hackers hand

J A C K B I T   |   FreeSpins & FreeBets      Welcome Bonus     Rakeback VIP Club
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄ ▄▄▄   C R Y P T O   C A S I N O   &   S P O R T S B O O K   ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄
h4yfans

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:33:01 PM

Long password and 2FA. Size matters Smiley
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:44:09 PM

Also spread all your bitcoins in multiple adresses and wallets with different private keys because hackers are not going to target wallets with low amount of bitcoins.
Multiple wallets won't necessarily result in better overall security. If you make sure that your coins are properly stored, preferably in a hardware wallet, then nothing will happen. As long as you take care of your recovery/mnemonic seed(s), you'll always be able to access your coins, even if your hardware wallet corrupts/breaks. And why do you think hackers won't target 'low' amounts of Bitcoins? As long as it isn't dust, then it will be more than worthwhile for them. Don't forget that when wallet files aren't secured, it cost no effort to access the private keys stored inside. Smiley
jimn

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:48:58 PM

I am using Electrum wallet which give me the access to my private keys, so I have the possibility to recover my wallet even if lost access to the wallet for some reason. Any wallet giving you access to the private keys is generally safe and secured

████████████████
                           ████████████████████████
                    ████████                      ██████
                   █████                █████       ███████
               █████                 █████████            ███
            ████   █████   ██████████████████████           ████
           ████   █████████████████████████████████          ████
         ███      ███████████         █████████████████         ████
         ██       ███████████        ██████████     ████████████  ███
       ███        ████████████████████       ██       ██████████   ███
      ████      █████████       ██████       ████     ███████████   ██
     ████     ████    ██     ███     ██████████████████████████     ███
     ██       ████   ███     ████    ██████    ███    █████████      ███
   ███      ████     ████████████████████████  ███      ████████      ███
   ███   ███████████████     ███████████████████████   ███   ███      ███
  ████ █████████████   ██   ██████████████████ ███████████   ████     ████
  ████ ███████████     ███████████        ████████    ████   ████       ██
  ████ ███████████     █████ ████          ███████    █████  ████       ██
  ████   ██████████  ████████████          ████████████   ██████████    ██
  ████    █████   ██████   ██████          ████  █████    ███████████   ██
  ████     ████    █████   ███████       █████████████     ██████████ ████
   ███     ████    ██████████ ███████████████████  ███    ███████████ ████
   ███      ████   ██    ██████████████████  ██    ████████████████   ███
   ████     █████████    ████████████████████████ ██████    █████     ███
     ██     █████████      ██    ████████ ████████████     ████      ███
      ███   ████████████████████████████  ████     ███    ███       ██
      ████  ██████████████████████   ████████      ███ █████       ███
       ████ ███████████      ███      █████████████████████      ████
         ███████████████     ████    █████   ██████████████      ███
          ████         ███████████████        ██████████████   ████
           ████         ████████████████     ██████████████  ████
              █████         ███████████████████       ██  █████
               █████         █████████████              █████
                   ██████       ██████             ███████
                        ██████████████  ████████████
                            ██████████████████████
Gaze Coin

BLOCKCHAIN-VR/AR TOKEN 

=
  [Facebook][Twitter][Telegram]
[Reddit] [Steemit]
mysacrifice

Activity: 364
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:52:46 PM

I think the most secure solution is to keep everything in a hardware wallet and that should be hidden very well, safe box or something like that. like a huge piece of gold.
Hamphser

Activity: 2492
Merit: 327

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:57:45 PM

I am one of those who do not trust on-line wallets, I am afraid that if I kept my bitcoin there chances are someone can steal it from me or maybe I might forgot my passwords that's why I always convert my bitcoin into cash. Some are using 2 way authentication others are using paper wallets. it depends on you on where do you prefer the security of your bitcoin.
I think it is very hard. No one exactly knows how to strongly secure his bitcoin wallet, but I want to tell one thing that security should not be the problem of bitcoin holders it all about the coinbase or blockchain controllers to make sure that their security system is unbreakable and your bitcoin is in safe hands. Therefore I think people should not be panic about the security of their bitcoin wallets.
There are lots of option on which people can freely choose up on what wallet would suit them best on where they can able to see that it would be secure out our bitcoin or other coin holdings.Storing it on hardware wallets is really somehow much safer for me compared on those web wallet no matter how you say about the security been imposed by the site you dont still have the possesion of your keys which means once they ran off then you cant really retrieve your bitcoins unlike if you do have the keys you can access it anytime as long you do have the keys.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
Frank0209

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:02:01 PM

I've used Coinbase web wallet before but for now I only use Electrum cause I can keep my own privatekey which I can't when I used web wallet. Beside with Electrum I also can control the amount I wanna pay for transaction fee and with web wallet I can't do that. But it's a little bit inconvinient when I go outside without my laptop and I want to make any transaction when I use Electrum but it's ok for me Smiley) Maybe I'll try to keep little amount in web wallet in order to make transaction when I go out without laptop Cheesy
one_world

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:28:32 PM

No matter where you  store your bitcoin you still need to be extremely careful in order to avoid being hacked. make sure you do not log into your wallet in a public computer or another persons mobile phone. Use google authenticator to ensure notification before any one can gain access to your wallet.

This exactly. It's always a good idea to log out of your devices after every use, and set up a two step authentication process for logging in. Most apps should provide this.
ihsanskanzaone

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:31:55 PM

How do you secure your bitcoin?
I secure my bitcoin by increasing the quality of my bitcoin wallet account password so it's harder to know, opening my bitcoin account only on my privately owned devices because it could be if we open in the cafe or elsewhere belonging to someone else they could have wore a tapper keyboard so they can have my account, often change the password of the account to further improve security, install password on android and my laptop so that not everyone can use android and my laptop and the last is use android and laptop that support fingerprint scan so that only your hand that can open your computer and can also use a good computer operating system and hold the hacker and virus for example linux.
so my advice if there is less please add. thank you
crazycatwoman03

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:36:49 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2017, 10:06:31 PM by crazycatwoman03

Also spread all your bitcoins in multiple adresses and wallets with different private keys because hackers are not going to target wallets with low amount of bitcoins.
Multiple wallets won't necessarily result in better overall security. If you make sure that your coins are properly stored, preferably in a hardware wallet, then nothing will happen. As long as you take care of your recovery/mnemonic seed(s), you'll always be able to access your coins, even if your hardware wallet corrupts/breaks. And why do you think hackers won't target 'low' amounts of Bitcoins? As long as it isn't dust, then it will be more than worthwhile for them. Don't forget that when wallet files aren't secured, it cost no effort to access the private keys stored inside. Smiley

Using a hardware wallet is highly recommended because it gives high security to the coins.  Ever since I started here,  I use online wallet but when there is a problem in that certain wallet I was force to use a hardware wallet.  It was recommended to me by a friend.  Also,  I do not keep all of my bitcoins in a single wallet to avoid hackers who might be spoofing and looking for victims.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 10:21:21 PM

No matter where you  store your bitcoin you still need to be extremely careful in order to avoid being hacked. make sure you do not log into your wallet in a public computer or another persons mobile phone. Use google authenticator to ensure notification before any one can gain access to your wallet.

This exactly. It's always a good idea to log out of your devices after every use, and set up a two step authentication process for logging in. Most apps should provide this.

Most importantly keep your private keys away from everyone and have them either stored on a flash drive or on a piece of paper and then hide them from the world. If you can cram them in your mind too the better so that nobody apart from you will be able to access your wallets.
dExplorer

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 10:43:20 PM

Besides from your wallet do some cash out and save it in a trusted bank that will be totally secured in case you lose your private key then you still have money in the bank.a
chickenado

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 10:49:38 PM

Most importantly keep your private keys away from everyone and have them either stored on a flash drive or on a piece of paper and then hide them from the world. If you can cram them in your mind too the better so that nobody apart from you will be able to access your wallets.
Well,in my case I secure my bitcoin through cashing out all my money from my wallets and then it's already a fiat so I can now deposit it in the banks and the rest I put it in a safe because no one can touch it instead of me nor open it. We don't even know what will happen in the internet connection so I prefer withdrawing because I would be glad if I already hold my cash in cold. I think many of you here also doing the same thing. This is the best method I think in securing bitcoins.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:36:36 PM

Using a hardware wallet is highly recommended because it gives high security to the coins.  Ever since I started here,  I use online wallet but when there is a problem in that certain wallet I was force to use a hardware wallet.  It was recommended to me by a friend.  Also,  I do not keep all of my bitcoins in a single wallet to avoid hackers who might be spoofing and looking for victims.

Have you actually read what I wrote? Using more than one wallet doesn't necessarily result in better overall security. Even if you use hundreds of wallets, if there is an open spot in your system (security wise), then all your wallets are at risk. If you already have a hardware wallet, because that's the impression you seem to give me, then why don't you store all your coins in there? If it's a Nano Ledger S for example, which is nowadays the best value hardware wallet to go for, you're already enjoying the highest level of security. Everything you do happens on the device itself, which means that you don't input any very precious/sensitive information on your PC or laptop. Out of interest, what hardware wallet do you use (in case you do)?
CoinChaos (OP)

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 05:30:47 PM

This has been a great discussion on security of bitcoins. I am now more educated on the subject and thank everyone for the contributions. One thing I feel is very important is not to discuss exactly how and or where you store your coins. This must remain secret. Good discussion everyone. Thank you.
Lampaster

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 05:42:26 PM

Well,in my case I secure my bitcoin through cashing out all my money from my wallets and then it's already a fiat so I can now deposit it in the banks and the rest I put it in a safe because no one can touch it instead of me nor open it. We don't even know what will happen in the internet connection so I prefer withdrawing because I would be glad if I already hold my cash in cold. I think many of you here also doing the same thing. This is the best method I think in securing bitcoins.
It seems to me that such tactics are little support. Most users keep their bitcoins in their wallets and hope that they will rise in price. What is the meaning to translate them into Fiat? I think it is better to store in electronic wallet with 2 factor authentication. I have never had a problem with it.
krayzie32

Activity: 479

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 05:49:07 PM

I think you should store bitcoin in cold wallet and altcoin in hot wallet. Because bitcoin needs a long time to go up, and altcoin, otherwise, just needs a short time. Wink

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
S A KHAIR

Activity: 952
Merit: 108

1xBit recovered their reputation

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 06:41:31 PM

paper and hardware wallets are very strong
The security system of these wallets are too strong. The authority gives one of the best security systems in the world. So it's quiet impossible to hack a bitcoin id. We also have some duties to secure our bitcoin id. We should put a good password in our bitcoin id. We should store the password in a secured place. It's impossible to hack a bitcoin id without password. So we have to be aware about it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: