Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:03:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PRISM - Who else is disgusted by this?  (Read 41054 times)
ewitte

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:33:56 PM

I'm glad the first stages are underway but there is 100's of times this information about to come out.  Wait until people find out things like they were given cancer because it was profitable!

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
Kinetic915

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 05:49:31 PM

It seems I'm one of the few that realizes PRISM, in all its shapes and forms, is nothing new..and as a result, I'm not shocked by it in the least.

"Modern" spying..whether on domestic or foreign persons..has been around for a number of decades (perhaps much longer), though obviously not on this scale. As technology got more advanced, it became easier and easier for "acronym agencies" to collect and analyze data. It was only a matter of time before something of this magnitude was uncovered.

I think most people probably suspected something along these lines.  Still its not everyday something this large is leaked.

craslovell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 02:24:26 AM

It seems I'm one of the few that realizes PRISM, in all its shapes and forms, is nothing new..and as a result, I'm not shocked by it in the least.

"Modern" spying..whether on domestic or foreign persons..has been around for a number of decades (perhaps much longer), though obviously not on this scale. As technology got more advanced, it became easier and easier for "acronym agencies" to collect and analyze data. It was only a matter of time before something of this magnitude was uncovered.

I think most people probably suspected something along these lines.  Still its not everyday something this large is leaked.

I agree, the size of this project is on a never before seen level. You have literally close to 0% privacy doing anything digitally unless you are really taking measures to avoid being watched. I don't believe I am doing anything wrong, so I don't try to hide anything. That's beside the point though. Just because you aren't doing anything wrong to tickle the government's balls and catch their attention, doesn't make this widespread of a privacy violation right.

And of course, I understand the amount of data they are collecting could be in the exabyte range which is ridiculously vast. You could argue "even if they can see all that you do, what are the chances they will find your stuff". Well, you don't build something that large without an excellent process to index and categorize the information you are collecting in a thousand different ways/views.
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:35:21 AM

I think most people probably suspected something along these lines.  Still its not everyday something this large is leaked.

I agree, the size of this project is on a never before seen level. You have literally close to 0% privacy doing anything digitally unless you are really taking measures to avoid being watched. I don't believe I am doing anything wrong, so I don't try to hide anything. That's beside the point though. Just because you aren't doing anything wrong to tickle the government's balls and catch their attention, doesn't make this widespread of a privacy violation right.

And of course, I understand the amount of data they are collecting could be in the exabyte range which is ridiculously vast. You could argue "even if they can see all that you do, what are the chances they will find your stuff". Well, you don't build something that large without an excellent process to index and categorize the information you are collecting in a thousand different ways/views.

More than 99% of internet users are noobs or people like you saying "I got nothing to hide so I dont care".
The result: the 1% (probably more like 0.01%) that are very careful with their privacy and encryption is a so small population that they easier can be monitored manually.
Even if they are careful most of times its enough to make mistake a few times and you get identified.
Maybe I sound too paranoid, but you got to think just like your opponent to win the game of privacy.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:18:15 PM

....you don't build something that large without an excellent process to index and categorize the information you are collecting in a thousand different ways/views.
SO...they know exactly what you bought with Bitcoins last week...

No, wait...they don't....

As for that "excellent process to index and categorize"?

You are kidding, right? 

For three years the IRS persecuted me with threat letters saying that I had two kids, not three, and so I was not allowed the third deduction for a dependent.  No number of letters to them made any difference, the threats kept coming.  "Notices of intent to seize", etc.

Man, they sure had some excellent processes to index and categorize, didn't they?

Every bureaucratic system regresses to the mean of simple, plain stupidity.
Kinetic915

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:39:15 PM

I think most people probably suspected something along these lines.  Still its not everyday something this large is leaked.

More than 99% of internet users are noobs or people like you saying "I got nothing to hide so I dont care".
The result: the 1% (probably more like 0.01%) that are very careful with their privacy and encryption is a so small population that they easier can be monitored manually.
Even if they are careful most of times its enough to make mistake a few times and you get identified.
Maybe I sound too paranoid, but you got to think just like your opponent to win the game of privacy.

It blows my mind people are seriously ignorant enough to not give a shit.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Even if you are "innocent" , innocent is defined by the very people who have granted themselves this power.  They can move that line wherever they want as there is zero oversight.  Like Snowden says, they've recorded everything about your life, anytime they want they can go back and use the simplest of things against you and no one is there to stop them.  Bitcoin for example......  

Also, the Director of National Intelligence LIED under oath to CONGRESS.  Don't people normally go to jail for that?

It seems the general debate about prism is already being pushed under the rug.  Its difficult already to find the story on major news networks.  If anyone still cares sign some petitions!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden/Dp03vGYD

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:21:44 PM

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Define "essential".
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 04:36:10 PM

Define "essential".

I think B. Franklin meant that liberty is needed no matter the situation.

Kinetic915

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:44:01 PM

Define "essential".

I think B. Franklin meant that liberty is needed no matter the situation.

+1

In this context the right to privacy.  I think the Patriot Act in general affected our Fourth Amendment rights.

LeTanque

Activity: 85

Fortune favors the bold and brave

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:23:01 PM

VPN, Bitcoin, Tor, PGP. 

This is the world we live in and those are the tools you have to fight back.

Don't forget Ghostery http://www.ghostery.com/download to stop cookies from tracking.

Maybe we should have a separate thread with all the ways to protect oneself and how they work.

That's a good idea.  Do it!

"It is a mistake to suppose that any technological innovation has a one-sided effect. Every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that." -Neil Postman Technopoly
1FooDLuTYk782GQNrY7zY1obTc4ceUfj5t
ewitte

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:39:25 PM

The people that helped found this country were not stupid they knew exactly what would happen

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”
—U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864
(letter to Col. William F. Elkins)

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
No 1

Activity: 140

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:30:37 AM

This may need its own topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nvXn2w_FvY

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:31:57 AM

That's a good idea.  Do it!
Did it.
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:08:53 AM

....you don't build something that large without an excellent process to index and categorize the information you are collecting in a thousand different ways/views.
SO...they know exactly what you bought with Bitcoins last week...

No, wait...they don't....

As for that "excellent process to index and categorize"?

You are kidding, right? 

For three years the IRS persecuted me with threat letters saying that I had two kids, not three, and so I was not allowed the third deduction for a dependent.  No number of letters to them made any difference, the threats kept coming.  "Notices of intent to seize", etc.

Man, they sure had some excellent processes to index and categorize, didn't they?

Every bureaucratic system regresses to the mean of simple, plain stupidity.

They are completely separate and bloated pieces of the government who probably don't interact much with each other. I highly doubt the IRS has any kind of access to PRISM information
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:12:32 AM

It blows my mind people are seriously ignorant enough to not give a shit.

Even if you are "innocent" , innocent is defined by the very people who have granted themselves this power.  They can move that line wherever they want as there is zero oversight.  Like Snowden says, they've recorded everything about your life, anytime they want they can go back and use the simplest of things against you and no one is there to stop them.  Bitcoin for example......  

Also, the Director of National Intelligence LIED under oath to CONGRESS.  Don't people normally go to jail for that?

It seems the general debate about prism is already being pushed under the rug.  Its difficult already to find the story on major news networks.  If anyone still cares sign some petitions!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden/Dp03vGYD

When you sit atop the steaming pile of shit that is the government, the rules don't apply to you. If you want to be strict about breaking laws, there are quite a few current administration members that should be rotting in jail right now
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:50:51 AM

Where were all you chuckleheads over a decade ago when people were screaming about this? Probably busy marginalizing those people as "conspiracy theorists", because after all the patriot act is only for brown people right?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:16:05 PM

Where were all you chuckleheads over a decade ago when people were screaming about this? Probably busy marginalizing those people as "conspiracy theorists", because after all the patriot act is only for brown people right?

I was in 6th grade at the time, I think Tongue

TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:10:57 PM

In Iraq fixing IED hunting robots.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:37:36 PM

I was too young to understand? When you don't know, you just don't know.
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:38:28 PM

I was in 6th grade at the time, I think Tongue

Same here, too young to know what the hell was going on  Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: