Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 08:45:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency?  (Read 3626 times)
Ausgewielt

Activity: 453
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 01:59:34 AM

Many countries consider bitcoin as an asset, I don't know why they do that. Bitcoin is more apropriated to be  currency rather than an asset.

Fire316

Activity: 281
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:03:38 AM

Bitcoin for me is a kind of intangible asset because you can use it to invest,to earn a lot of money.But i think it is also a  currency but only use online,unlike other type of currency we used.
headie

Activity: 51

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:04:07 AM

bitcoin can be regarded as both currency and an asset depending on how one make use of it, trading with in day in day out make it a currency and hodl for awhile makes it an asset because of the way it accrues in value
blocklancer8

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 02:43:28 AM

I think it could be both, because bitcoin is a virtual currency. This excellent existence is used by many people including me to be an asset. Can not be denied that this bitcoin is very promising.

kaasy.ai        Artificial Intelligence Algorithms on Blockchain                                               Knowledge As A Service +
                        Public ICO is live!        BUY KAAS TOKEN NOW                                         Distributed Infrastructure As A Service
Whitepaper     Telegram     2-Pages Paper     Twitter     Facebook     Discord     BTC ANN          = Plug-and-play skills, on demand
Fox-111

Activity: 48
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:50:32 AM

I see it currently as an asset but an asset used for bartering...i.e. I'll give you X if you give me Y. Not unlike gold was, or sea shells in the pacific islands.
Over time as more people accept it as a form of payment then it will move into a mainstream currency. So if you're a merchant, accept some form of crypto as payment and all this will happen a lot quicker.
mxyzptlkof6th

Activity: 294
Merit: 26

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:53:49 AM

Bitcoin is both an asset and a currency. But, it is a volatile asset because its value is unpredictable. It is not just a currency but it is a cryptocurrency which is digital.
AsusBitcoin

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:03:16 AM

For me bitcoin is not totally a currency because it has no stable value. Rather it is an asset that can be trade like gold or silver that we're hoping to increase its value in the market so that we can earn allot of profit.
haizhilan

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:04:30 AM

Very good, hurry, join us quickly and look forward to your arrival
Maestro75

Activity: 1960
Merit: 329

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 03:14:11 AM

I know it is clearly and explicitly stated in the white paper that "bitcoin is a peer-to-peer electronic cash system" but I see it in a shade different from that. Much more than that. For me bitcoin is a " currenasset" and that is a combination of the functionality of a currency and that of an asset. It works as a medium of payment and at the same time it appreciates over time like an asset.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
Byatt

Activity: 105
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:21:50 AM

It is somewhat a currency because it is used to buy some goods and others.  It is asset when you hold it in a longer time and when the value is increase it is advantage for your investment.
PatyZante

Activity: 162
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:25:03 AM

Asset most likely due to it growing in price. I wouldn't be spending it as a currency anytime soon.

[  EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWORK        [  EOT  ]
Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:26:30 AM

There is no doubt that Bitcoin is a kind of asset like Gold or Silver. This is due to Bitcoin has own value, and its price increase every day
schaituch007

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:41:48 AM

Bitcoin may become a currency in future, but at present for me its a volatile assets....... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Klestar

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:43:58 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
Bitcoin is asset because this bitcoin is usable for all people like paying bills or etc. And this bitcoin is not a currency but it is a crypto currency that have a value of you convert it into real money or in called country currency.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 03:44:50 AM

It is a medium of transferring the values and in that sense, it is a currency because it fulfils the fundamentals of the currency which are as follows,

1) Supply - There should be a supply of money in order to call it a currency and we have a supply of Bitcoins in the market today from miners. In the coming years, it will change the form but still, supply will be there.

2) Cost - There must be any monetary value for the thing we are considering as a currency and not doubt Bitcoin gained a huge surge in the price since its inception.

3) Availability - Bitcoin has grown so big that now it is almost near to impossible that it will not be available on the internet so Bitcoin is also fulfilling this condition.

Thus, I believe that it is safe to call Bitcoin a currency as it satisfies the basic parameters of a currency.
BitCoinKeeper

Activity: 89

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:45:18 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

Don’t really care what a dean-of-valuation from NYU has to say, my investment into bitCoin, IS an investment, I purchased my shares of bitCoin for investment purposes, I hold all my investments as investments.
If I hold $200.00 in coins ( nickels and dime’s or dollar bills in two years, I will still only have $200.00. If I HOLD $200.00 in bitCoin I will have MUCH, more than $200.00, so it is an Investment. Nothing more needs to be said. It is that simple.
darshansetty

Activity: 103

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:46:40 AM

it can be considered as both asset and currency in future it will can considered as assets and even it can be used as currency
Kakawate

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:58:04 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

I think, it can be both, it is a currency yet an asset as well, it can be both depending on what people see it. Some people only see it as a currency, and they use bitcoin as they want, it can be considered as an asset as well. I guess people really don't care whether it is an asset or just a currency.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬ |  𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻    ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬
▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ Hard fork Ethereum  ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬  11.1.19  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ANN  ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Telegram  ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter  ▬▬▬▬  White Paper  ▬▬▬ ▬▬
dragon fire

Activity: 151

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:59:19 AM

https://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
I think the bitcoin is a very promising asset for an individual.
but sometimes bitcoin can also be in the money as the price listed and worth of certain money.
markleal

Activity: 446
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:03:52 AM

Hi there StevenRA! As I read through the article one thing that sticks to my mind is the word “IF”. We all know that there is a long list of company that uses and accept bitcoin as payment. However, what fails is the attitude of bitcoin owners towards spending their possessions. Correct me if I am wrong but, as of now, most of the people hoard bitcoins. I cant think of any person that is ready to spend all or almost half of their bitcoin in exchange for a grocery, items or services not related to cryptocurrency. And by that I think most of the people treat bitcoin as an asset.  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: