Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:00:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency?  (Read 3626 times)
ismadanniel

Activity: 161
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 04:48:57 PM

if me i would make it as asset because im holder more like gold...i dont think its good choice to pay more fee than what you bought
Photographer

Activity: 157

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 05:31:43 PM

Bitcoin has unfortunately turned into an asset, which is bad because this asset is basically only a speculative one, with no other use than speculation. Not clear what will happen next.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
xsaints128

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 05:37:41 PM

Of course Bitcoin is a currency and to be specific we all know it's cryptocurrency. I can easily buy games, etc., with Bitcoin so it classifies Bitcoin as a currency but due the sudden increase in it's value it has shifted it's nature from being a currency to an asset, that everyone wants to possess.

icanscript

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:12:24 PM

The question is not correct. The currency (digital, crypto or fiat) will always be an asset. Because the asset is highly liquid. And this asset has the ability to move around the world without borders and barriers.
Henry Sy

Activity: 193
Merit: 83

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 09:20:04 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
Well, for me Bitcoin do possesses both characteristic that a currency and an asset have so for me, Bitcoin can be considered as both asset and a currency. Bitcoin as a currency because it can be use to pay off what you have bought and purchased by simply sending the payment or even do scanning to pay for that. In terms of being an asset, since we all know that Bitcoin has a great potential to grow especially talking about the price which is good for investments that is why we can totally consider that Bitcoin can be both a currency and even be an asset.
akhilsh6896

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:12:51 PM

Bitcoin can be considered as an asset cause its value to people. But it is no way near currency.
teejayrichard2

Activity: 574
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:31:16 PM

bitcoin is an asset and also a currency. bitcoin is an asset in the sense that, you can buy in large volume and keep and anytime you need cash you can sell and get even more as the value keeps appreciating.  it is a currency as it can be used for all forms of transactions  to make payments
teejaymuna

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 10:44:48 PM

Bitcoin is a currency and at same time an asset. With bitcoin you could make transactions all over the world at your comfort and that makes it a currency. Also you can buy and store bitcoin a long time and that makes it an asset.
Tama21

Activity: 87

Peace Begins with a Smile

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:59:24 PM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
Bitcoin isn't a currency.
it is so unstable and It's just too volatile for that
so bitcoin is an asset
majest3

Activity: 84
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:05:15 PM

I believe It should be considered as an asset class, to considered a currency it would need to be spendable at your local coffee shop. Currently this is just not commercially viable because of the speed of the transactions and the fee's attached to it. Once these two factors have been addressed then it is possible that it will switch to a currency.

DeepOnion - Tor integrated - 100% anonymous
===> Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! <===​  (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1620543)
Scallywag

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:06:49 PM

When you look up the definition of currency , bitcoin qualifies for it. But it isn't useful as a currency , because of the high fees and the slow transaction at this moment . We will have to see if the lightning network will fix this problems.
devil jin

Activity: 150

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:10:22 PM

Actually, Bitcoin for me plays as both currency and an asset at the same time because it do possesses the characteristics those two have to be considered as the one. Bitcoin was a currency in a way that we people use it to pay those products and services we bought or avail amd serves as a payment for those that we have chosen. Bitcoin as an asset because we all know that it is good for long time holding that was beneficial for our part especially when it comes to investments.

Thecryptocurrency09

Activity: 346

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:48:23 PM

Bitcoin could be an asset and even a currency. No body labels it well so it is for us what to prefer to. But for me, I go for both as for its function does these two.
deviltasha

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:04:20 AM

When you say and asset it means something you have invested as part of a business like cash. The monetary value is the currency. When you invest in bitcoin this will be your asset and bitcoin is your currency, more particularly cryptocurrency.

I think that asset is something in what you have invested in, so bitcoin is digital asset in which you invest money. Besides, any asset has its monetary value.
lunaalthea

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:13:15 AM

Why not both? Bitcoin is already a cryptocurrency and by the word itself it already justify that it is really a currency, however people have been treating it as an asset over the years. It is up to people whether they treat it as an asset or currency but do acknowledge that btc is very volatile and it will really fail as a currency because of the opportunity loss.

Shiversnow

Activity: 688
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:25:11 PM

I think that it can go with both! Since even currencies are assets that are fast reliable and usable Wink
I choose both of them, because bitcoin is digital currency can convert cash easily. That cash from bitcoin I save it or buy a property, bitcoin is usable an asset or currency.
tanjiran

Activity: 770
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 11:59:29 PM

Of course Bitcoin is a currency and to be specific we all know it's cryptocurrency. I can easily buy games, etc., with Bitcoin so it classifies Bitcoin as a currency but due the sudden increase in it's value it has shifted it's nature from being a currency to an asset, that everyone wants to possess.

That is why it is called cryptocurrency.
In addition, the soaring price causes transaction fees to be high, making them less effective for micro-payments and more effective for assets.

usechain

Activity: 246
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:20:20 AM

I think bitcoin is a currency like gold. The essence of money is consensus, the value of gold itself comes from the public consensus, the public thinks that gold is money, willing to use gold in the transaction, the gold is money. Only worthless banknotes ( legal tender ) need " equal value exchange ( gold ) as a support". What underpins real money, such as bitcoin and gold, is not an " equal value exchange" at all, but a public consensus, so I think bitcoin is a currency like gold.
dashchain

Activity: 108
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:22:54 AM

Assets generate money Bitcoin doesn't generate an income passively you need to trade it in. Bitcoin isn't used for anything else like a property either. SO no I don't believe it's an asset and is strictly a currency.

Support your point of view, first of all, Bitcoin has the means of trading and circulation, and second, his value is relatively stable, so only someone willing to use bitcoin as an asset to hold long-term
heyfranzen

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:29:14 AM

Bitcoin is a digital currency that can be converted to your own currency. You can earn or invest to gain more profit and you can easily transact with no hassle. This money is very strongly that no one can stop because it is decentralized.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: