Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:30:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency?  (Read 3626 times)
Geoll29

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:48:59 AM

Bitcoin is both an asset and a currency. It can be an asset because we are earning from it. It's a currency because we use it to send and receive payment over the internet.

Ray3z

Activity: 188

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:56:04 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
Since the creation of bitcoin, it has been a very useful to most of the people as a tool for investment and as a medium for transactions. Bitcoin has a lot of uses to us. We can both classify bitcoin as an asset and as a digital currency. Most of the people look at bitcoin as a form of investment because of its very volatile price. And at the same time people use bitcoin for their transactions all over the world because it makes it easier for them to send a certain amount of money by bitcoins.

At this time issues, i disagree that bitcoin is easy to send in the whole world becuase the slow transaction.
I know bitcoin is built for more as a currency but recently its just good to use for investment only because the price is growing. Bitcoin is not suitable currency this time.
desanti

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:15:34 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html
In my opinion, bitcoin is not an asset but bitcoin is the digital currency and we can invest it in it a huge profit advantage
hydeevanz

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:29:00 AM

One of the bitcoin's purposes when it was created/developed is to make the transactions easier for every person because it won't take so much of someone's time when he/she is about to pay, buy or even send money to their loved ones which means that it is also considered as a medium. However, since most of the people here on forum saw that bitcoin has a potential to increase its value more than we can imagine then I think that some made bitcoin as their asset.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 03:33:08 AM

I believe it is a currency and hopefully, we can get back to those roots some day. This was the original vision of the bitcoin community.

ShiroThe5th

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:43:27 AM

For me bitcoin is a currency. Bitcoin is start in a currency and i think it will stay where bitcoin really come from. Bitcoin has the value and can also tell as a asset but currency is the word that can really fit for bitcoin. Just like the currency in the internet, they called crypto currency. They have their own field name.
nz_sana

Activity: 132
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:16:50 AM

Bitcoin will become a future asset. In modern times, many countries have validated bitcoin as a digital currency. Bitcoin value and usage are more in crypto currency. Absolutely it will be the resources for a country in the future.
MetalGear

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:40:47 AM

As far as I know, bitcoin is now considered as an asset and a payment method in some country. It's a very long way for bitcoin to be a currency.
I certainly agree to that, bitcoin is now considered as an asset where you will hold it for long term. In addition to that, you can also say that bitcoin is a currency and most of bitcoin users prefer to used as currency. I think bitcoin will become our future asset and currency.
TradeCrypto

Activity: 237

Presale is live!

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:58:21 AM

Bitcoin is an assets as well as currency , why because of assets is bitcoin is future investment and future profit tool. In bitcoin we can invest for future and when we going to sale those invetment it vwill become currency its self , That profit will become currency.

MeongElek

Activity: 418

"simply getting the job done"

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:50:40 AM

Good topic, so everyone in this forum knows. I replied that bitcoin is an asset and a currency. Why is that? Bitcoin as a currency because it can be used for online payment transactions, bitcoin is the global currency, so you can freely make transactions to the world. And then bitcoin as an asset, many people store bitcoin riches for the long term, I say investment. In the investment, you hold bitcoin and sell it when the price goes up. Of course big profit for you.

Mycro Jobs                                                                                                                                                                                                   
| SIMPLY GETTING THE JOB DONE
⟩                                                                                                                                                     
                                                           ⟩⟩ Telegram ⟩⟩ Twitter ⟩⟩ Medium ⟩⟩ Github ⟩⟩ Instagram ⟩⟩ LinkedIn ⟩⟩ YouTube ⟩⟩ Facebook
beezunus

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:12:40 AM

In my opinion, bitcoin is a currency and also an asset because bitcoin is a digital currency and can be used to buy something that receives bitcoin as payment, bitcoin can also be an investment asset for the future.
YoungMaster

Activity: 462

MYCRYPTOBANK.IO

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 10:58:24 AM

Bitcoin can be both. Bitcoin is relative to some people.
They can make bitcoin as an asset to let it grow for the long term and can also be a currency to be transacted online.

MyCryptoBank  ――  Legal and Reliable Crypto Bank
Whitepaper  ――  CRYPTOBANK FOR CRYPTOCOMMUNITY  ――  Announce
―― Medium ―― YouTube ―― LinkedIn ―― Telegram ―― Facebook ―― Twitter ――
Mystezi

Activity: 14
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:26:05 AM

As of now,there is 2 major problems with Bitcoin as an currency

1) Mining fees are too high nowdays and getting congested.In addition,the processing time of Bitcoin transaction is very slow even compared to Visa.Due to the fact that there is a limit on the number of transactions that can be completed in  a day,it can sometimes take days to even finish a simple transaction.

2) The price of Bitcoin is too voliate to be even considered as a currency. Take for example,the value of Bitcoin has experience drastic daily change of almost 5-10% in value.On the other hand,the most frequently traded forex pair USD/EUR had only a daily changeof less than 0.9% a day and bardly changed 10% over a month.The common people do not want investment denominated in a currency which value can changed by almost 50% to 90% in a month.

In short, Bitcoin is not, nor shall it be a currency.

Also Asset is something that put cash into your hands, Bitcoin is neither an asset too.
Neconic

Activity: 94
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 10:10:31 PM

Right now I view bitcoin as an asset. It's not really spendable where I live currently so it's hard to use it as a currency. My girlfriend and I pay each other back using bitcoin though. I think in the future either bitcoin or another faster/lower fee altcoin will be used as currency.
Well, many see it as some kind of asset. As a long-term investment that will be converted only when it gets really really expensive.
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:06:38 PM

I believe that BTC is both an asset and a currency. Some people use it for their everyday payments as a currency and others to hold value (asset).

I also think when more merchants start to accept BTC or any other altcoin as a form of payment, people in general will be more comfortable to use it as currency and eventually BTC will replace fiat.

It is the manner at which people uses bitcoins which is determining on whether bitcoins is with an asset or a currency. But in my opinion I will consider it to be both and maybe more, since others are using it for other things as well.
Rollex

Activity: 81
Merit: 30

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:17:56 PM

Actually it can act as both a currency and an asset because Bitcoin was possessing both characteristics that a currency and an asset do have. It can be a currency because obviously it was a currency type in terms of being virtual that is why it can be used as a payment to the services or products you avail that is why it is termed as a currency. It acts as an asset on the other hand because it is good for long term holding which is beneficial for investment proper.
danggoron

Activity: 560
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:37:09 PM

I believe that BTC is both an asset and a currency. Some people use it for their everyday payments as a currency and others to hold value (asset).

I also think when more merchants start to accept BTC or any other altcoin as a form of payment, people in general will be more comfortable to use it as currency and eventually BTC will replace fiat.

It is the manner at which people uses bitcoins which is determining on whether bitcoins is with an asset or a currency. But in my opinion I will consider it to be both and maybe more, since others are using it for other things as well.

You are right, the function of bitcoin depends on the user.
There are some things that make bitcoin more dominant as an asset than the currency, which is expensive transaction fees and long confirmation times make bitcoin ineffective for payments. So, some people think it is useless if paying with bitcoin when using cash money is more effective.

Wintersoldier

Activity: 966
Merit: 274

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:39:01 PM
Merited by Zionatin (2)

Bitcoin could be used as both asset and a currency in terms of  being a form of cryptocurreny. But the choice is always dependent on the perspective  of an individual with the views they have on Bitcoin. For people, they tend to used Bitcoin as a form of currency on transaction in such way to evade the process on fiat where Bitcoin technically promises a much more faster and reliable transaction. But for most, Bitcoin is a form of asset that could be used on investment to gain profit and to extend the cspañbity of their money to grow.
mayidid

Activity: 210
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:41:43 PM

Bitcoin isn't just an asset, but there is no easy way to define it. It can be called a cryptocurrency, but that could also make people think it is a currency. Really it is several things including:

1) a store of value,
2) an investment,
3) a method of transferring money electronically,
4) a method of making purchases.

I'm sure there are other features as well.
Gaff

Activity: 924
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:44:19 PM

Bitcoin could be used as both asset and a currency in terms of  being a form of cryptocurreny. But the choice is always dependent on the perspective  of an individual with the views they have on Bitcoin. For people, they tend to used Bitcoin as a form of currency on transaction in such way to evade the process on fiat where Bitcoin technically promises a much more faster and reliable transaction. But for most, Bitcoin is a form of asset that could be used on investment to gain profit and to extend the cspañbity of their money to grow.
Yes i agree on that bitcoin is a currency that can really be used as an asset of gaining i believe that bitcoin is really amazing and we can really gain on it if we used it as an asset of gaining bitcoin is now getting more exciting because it is now really getting more profitable because it i popular and the modern world with the used of internet will continue to promote the  amazing features of bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: