Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:46:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin an asset or a currency?  (Read 3626 times)
gurupauts

Activity: 420
Merit: 11

DISRUPTING THE $23.5 B SCIENCE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 03:50:50 AM

Seems many people treat bitcoin like an asset given how much it's gone up over the last year or so. But some academics disagree with that assessment. If it is to be treated as a currency, it will need to stabilize to be of use.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/24/nyus-dean-of-valuation-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency.html

for me, bitcoin is both because I make it as a currency to buy something with bitcoin and I also use it as my future asset in investment

CryptoSmile

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:17:50 AM

There are several different answers or comments to this question. As for me, I want to say that it is more suitable to consider bitcoin as digital asset.This asset has great economic value and can be traded or invested for future higher value or price.In it' s operation, it can be used as an alternative payment method to replace cash especially for non cash transactions or electronic transactions.Because of this condition, some people consider it as currency, that is as cryptocurrency.
Seeker#9

Activity: 658
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:45:26 AM

This debate of whether bitcoin is a currency or asset still continue. While many people use it as a currency, some well known business personalities consider bitcoin as a commodity or asset.
I think the bitcoin has the ability to function as both money and an asset. Like gold, the value of bitcoin will continue to climb as it become more of scarce commodity that people want to own. Bitcoin might behave as an asset, until reach a total market saturation.
Dingdong7

Activity: 138
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 11:04:48 PM

Bitcoin is both a currency and an asset because the classification of bitcoin falls on both categories a bitcoin is a currency because it is use as a mode of payment for something acquired also bitcoin is an asset because cash or fiat is an ownership called asset as holding bitcoin as an investment will even classified it as an long term investment or asset.

You're right, bitcoin is in both categories. An asset is anything that an invidual can use and that has value and probably bitcoin falls in its definition so I think it can be considered as an asset. While currency is a form of money that can be used in transactions by many and bitcoin also falls in this category. So I guess we dont have an argument whether bitcoin is a form of currency or even an asset. As long as we have bitcoin. And it also depends on how you would treat bitcoin by yourself.

●                   ►                   ●      B I T C O I N   V I D E O   C A S I N O      ●                   ◄                   ●
Slots    Video Poker    Blackjack     ──  Classic fun for serious players  ──     Craps    Roulette    Keno    Dice
////////////////////////   PROGRESSIVE JACKPOT   ///   PROVABLY FAIR   ///     REFERRAL PROGRAM     ////////////////////////
Carmen03

Activity: 83
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 01:36:13 PM

Bitcoin is mainly used as an alternative currency .It can also be used as an asset and will serve different purpose.Currency be characterized as a medium of exchange a unit of account and a store of value , an asset does generally not possess the first two features and can be clearly distinguished from a currency. Bitcoin mainly used as currency to pay for goods and services it will compare to fiat currency such as dollar it will mainly be used as an investment and will compete with asset .Whether it is currency or an asset ,the potential to influence the economy as a whole depends on the success of Bitcoin, similar alternatives compared existing currencies and financial assets.
Blackhammer321

Activity: 400
Merit: 59

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 02:04:42 PM

This topic exist for a quite long time up to now but isn't both an asset and a cryptocurrency and fall on different category. The question realy makes sense but its not a big deal since we use bitcoin efficiently.
philadey30

Activity: 158
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 02:27:39 PM

Bitcoin is a worldwide payment system, using peer-to-peer network.

It can be used to buy merchandise anonymously. Also international payments can be made easily and cheap because BTC are not restricted to any country.
Hence we could call it a currency not an asset.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 02:30:50 PM

It can be used to buy merchandise anonymously. Also international payments can be made easily and cheap because BTC are not restricted to any country.
So to answer the question, bitcoin represented both.  Bitcoin is a currency because it is indeed a currency.  It is a digital currency which was created for online use.  An asset because having bitcoin right now can give you a good future.  As its value continue to goes up.
olivinetowhee

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 07:19:34 PM

Absolutely if it is treated as common currency it would have been empowered even earlier but that's not gonna happen anyways
ArnoldChippy

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 08:39:04 PM

So to answer the question, bitcoin represented both.  Bitcoin is a currency because it is indeed a currency.  It is a digital currency which was created for online use.  An asset because having bitcoin right now can give you a good future.  As its value continue to goes up.
َ
Yes that is right, bitcoin is both currency as well as assets, In fact bitcoin is created as online currency, and now it is not only use only for online purpose but also in some places people are using bitcoin in their local shops, in future i think that bitcoin will really  replace the fiat currency and we all the people will be dealing everything in bitcoin.

▄▄▄▄
▐████▌
▀██▀
▐▌
▄██▄
▄▄▄▄ ▐████▌ ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▐████▌
████  ▄▄▄▄  ████
▐████▌
▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌      ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀
▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌
▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄
▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀
ivy|..FACILITATING SECURE, TRANSPARENT...........
BUSINESS PAYMENTS ON A GLOBAL SCALE....

..─────────  ❱❱  WHITEPAPER  ❰❰  ─────────..
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|.JOIN US NOW!.|
White32

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:27:18 AM

For me i considered it an asset because they are untethered from the regular economy, where fiat currencies more traditional form of exchange and value transfer. These asset began in 2009 and the year trading around $10,000 is certainly impressive.

███ P2P CASH ▬ ███ ▍ SMART CONTRACT PLATFORMis the platform fully dedicated to ██████████ JOIN ██████████ ◥ international money transactions ▐ ◼ discordtwittertelegram
karman383

Activity: 384
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:56:34 AM

What I Understand is In long term bitcoin be consider as asset because the rate which appreciating is very positive so in near future it will be very big asset for those who holding Bitcoin. There is no doubt Bitcoin is currency (cryptocurrency) the thing is we are started now to use is in our day to day life this usage will sure increase very near future that means it is currency only.
Referring to the recent development of bitcoin, I consider bitcoin as digital asset and as digital currency / cryptocurrency. It depends on how we use bitcoin in our daily life. Today we can buy or invest in bitcoin and then hold it. After price become higher we can sell for profit taking. Here it is an asset. At another time, our bitcoin can be used to buy or pay something electonically / non cash transaction or also can be converted to local currency to buy every things we need. At this time, bitcoin can treated as currency but not as fiat money / fiat currency.
Gandam23

Activity: 424
Merit: 108

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:04:17 AM

What I Understand is In long term bitcoin be consider as asset because the rate which appreciating is very positive so in near future it will be very big asset for those who holding Bitcoin. There is no doubt Bitcoin is currency (cryptocurrency) the thing is we are started now to use is in our day to day life this usage will sure increase very near future that means it is currency only.
Referring to the recent development of bitcoin, I consider bitcoin as digital asset and as digital currency / cryptocurrency. It depends on how we use bitcoin in our daily life. Today we can buy or invest in bitcoin and then hold it. After price become higher we can sell for profit taking. Here it is an asset. At another time, our bitcoin can be used to buy or pay something electonically / non cash transaction or also can be converted to local currency to buy every things we need. At this time, bitcoin can treated as currency but not as fiat money / fiat currency.
Bitcoin is a digital currency and can be an asset as well because i can confidently say that bitcoin is profitable. I am a bounty hunter here and i am earning bitcoin here by joining signature bounty campaign and i am doing constructive posts in a specific thread that they require and require post that they need to pay me back.
linshisui38

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 01:09:02 AM

The purpose of bitcoin is to become a currency, but nowadays many people regard bitcoin as an investment and a commodity.

So they can trade or hold until the price goes up.
Noelbetty12

Activity: 168
Merit: 5

Now You Can Be The Bookmaker!

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:13:04 AM

There was a country who now recognizes bitcoin and passes a bill to make it their legal tender. Yes the  problem is the stability. It's so hard to deposit money where on the next day the price dumps and then you got short of your money. Nobody wants to use it that way. Not unless if we set that money equivalent should remain the same and bitcoin would only change should any increase or decrease in value happen. The expert in my own opinion is right about his idea.

【 MARGINLESS.IO 】 (https://www.marginless.io/)
【Now YOU Can Be The Bookmaker!】
jamesscorpin88

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:21:37 AM

Actually the both. Asses can be convert to currency and currency can be converted to asset. Many holds  the strong currencies like USD and EURO as their assets. These two types currencies are strong and very popular for their acceptance in everywhere. I think same situation will happen in case of Bitcoin. Later it will become asset as well as currency in practical.
Tukang Becak

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:31:56 AM

I think bitcoin is an asset and does not match currency, a growing value would be nice if we had bitcoin, and I hope that bitcoin value this year could reach $ 50k so the assets I keep in bitcoin make me successful and rich.
Coinky

Activity: 165
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:09:09 AM

I will consider bitcoin as asset,something similar to gold that will rise in value over time.I will not treat as currency cos I buy bitcoin and store offline and not  use for daily transactions

::::I DON'T WEAR ANY SIGNATURE:::
kurdapyo

Activity: 60

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 02:22:23 AM

maybe for now, most treat it as an asset beause almost do an investing but i think on the long time run more stores, market and other industry will accept bitcoin as a form of payment
gabbiee

Activity: 167
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 02:23:23 AM

I think bitcoin is an asset and does not match currency, a growing value would be nice if we had bitcoin, and I hope that bitcoin value this year could reach $ 50k so the assets I keep in bitcoin make me successful and rich.
A lot of people are considering bitcoin as an asset because they are being profitable in the long run. Although I think we can still use bitcoin as both, currency and as an asset. One of the good thing about bitcoin as a currency is that it has fast transactions and you can send it around the world. No need to fill up different kind of forms all you need is an address. But it really depends upon the person how he/she is going to use bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: