Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:10:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin?  (Read 4841 times)
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:15:43 AM

I see many options on how they can instantly kill Bitcoin. And I think the best possible ways are tracking down all the wallet providers and blocking them or going to all internet service providers and block all the websites and wallet related to Bitcoin. With that method it will render your Bitcoin to be useless as it will be stuck in the wallet forever, I know that it will result to millions of dollars of losses but it is the most effective way of doing it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hisuka

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:42:25 AM

I don't think government would do to stop bitcoin and they would spend a lot of money because of bitcoin. I beleive there are a lot of things should have taken priority by the government. There many things to considered before it will happen, thus its impossible.
ASHLIUSZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:02:11 AM

I don't think government would do to stop bitcoin and they would spend a lot of money because of bitcoin. I beleive there are a lot of things should have taken priority by the government. There many things to considered before it will happen, thus its impossible.
Yes, there are lots of other that government prioritize compared to bitcoin which is just an innovation that's growing up slowly making a big change in every sector based on the acceptance. Even if governments initiate plans they can't stop bitcoin or its growth. Maybe realizing the goodness governments will use it for their needs.
chelle5

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:08:18 AM

Maybe the government can.If they will impose such laws they will but the government can never eliminate it at all.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │       T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  21st  J U N E                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Reddit           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Ronaldcoin2017

Activity: 1148
Merit: 300

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:46:27 AM

Maybe the government can.If they will impose such laws they will but the government can never eliminate it at all.
well i believe that yhe government cannot stop bitcoin because bitcoin is not only in the one country .many people arround the world used btc and it is really a powerful coin and a most precious like gold.if the government wanted to stop it maybe they cant aford yo buy it all.i believe that govetnment get  money in all exchanger and converter by collecting service fee online.and if the government wanted to help thier people maybe they wont stop bitcoin because it is verry helpful it can really help the economy.
Jedie22

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 11:24:02 AM

The government has its power to do due on its full of sources. Bitcoin is demand and popular nowadays, in the world of crypto currency and gives income to those jobless people in the society by working hard and passionate in bitcoin. Well, I dont think if the government will stop bitcoin, since bitcoin is very helpful to there nation. Also, as long as bitcoin will give enough share in the government or the government will study about bitcoin that will give good impact to there economy, its impossible to stop bitcoin.
Drixy

Activity: 168

reading.......

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 11:47:30 AM

I think maybe just maybe the government can only do is just to manipulate people and regulate bitcoin. But it would be possible if all the governments or  countries would have an agreement and try to arrest all the miners or the suspicious ones that has abnormal money worth then it will be the dowfall of bitcoin.
Lady Coquet

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 12:27:54 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?
It's true that powerful governments can really rempve bitcoin in the world of internet because they are the one's who are incharge. But i think the government would really make bitcoin users to pay taxes because most of bitcoin users do not pay taxes and they earn money for free.
hachiman13

Activity: 378
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:10:28 PM

Yes. If the US can invade a country just to arrest their president and persecute him outside to US territory, stopping bitcoin can merely be considered as child's play for them. Even for any country, the government needs to just implement laws and restrictions on using bitcoin and it would make a significant effect on bitcoin's market.
webelong

Activity: 140

The Future Of Work

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:11:58 PM

Maybe they can stop bitcoin.But they cannot really in a way diminish it for a very long time.And there are some things that a government should do instead of ruining bitcoin.

▬▬■ ■ ■▬▬ The Future of Work. Decentralized. ▬▬■ ■ ■▬▬
WhitepaperANN THREADTELEGRAMFACEBOOKTWITTERYOUTUBE
Rohitha

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 02:26:41 PM

Well Bitcoin could be stopped but Cryptocurrency as a whole is not stoppable.
Soranith

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:43:45 PM

Well the government can do whatever they want because they have the power to ban something or make something illegal but then bitcoin is decentralize and its anonymous and the only way they can stop bitcoin is to cut the internet which is very impossible to happen. So even if bitcoin will be illegal for as long as there is internet we can still have access to it and its up to us if we want to take that risk.
Domenc

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:49:04 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?

Maybe , if the countries are the most influential ones they can limit the use to some extent . But i don't think they can totally ban bitcoin or disappear bitcoin from the globe . Bitcoin is associated with internet if you want to ban bitcoin you will have to ban internet . There will always be some ways for some users to use bitcoin in illegal and secretive way . Moreover , not every country will support this decision .
Many countries tried to boycott bitcoin eg. China but that did not effect a bit to the users . The users who really want to operate bitcoin maybe still using it in illegal ways in their countries .   
felipe04

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:50:41 PM

Yes they can if bitcoin is not good for their country.As of now bitcoin is really good in our country because we can earn here while having a good past time i think if this will continue many person in our country will be good in the conveniece that bitcoin brings but if this bitcoin is turn to scam i think government will ban in our country
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:52:41 PM

Well, they can buy down 21 million BTC and keep all of them to themselves, essentially 'killing' Bitcoin.

I would love that SO MUCH
Fact is that if they tried ( I mean at current price 21 million BTC is just 100billions, that's a budget tons of states could afford) they could probably buy... I don't know but 10 millions? Something like that? If they tried to hold it btc would instantly take +500% value!

To be honest that could be a smart move from a state... Getting a bunch of btc would be both a security for future and a rather good investment if they want to go back to fiat.

rainezerr401

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:19:43 PM

Obviously yes, Bitcoins can really be stopped by governments still they are ones who lead the country, Its not impossible for other country that ico's will be banned like what happened in china.
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:11:23 PM

It's not reasonably for government of one country. And it's very hard to imagine that greedy governments or banks unite in one community. Even if it may occur it will be too late i think Lips sealed
You know they could have thought about it at some point but they also know that would be sending the wrong messages. We are talking about something that has grown so wide globally here and even if a particular country is trying to stop it by forming some underneath attacks like China tried doing, there would still always be support from other angles ready to gulp it back up.

That is the joy of it and that is why we should know that unless they can have access to the wallets of every users, or have the ability to control bitcoin itself, bitcoin will not be stopped and we already know they can't do all that.
KingdomHearts

Activity: 896
Merit: 514

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:07:47 PM

No mate. Most of the government are in Federal and democratic state. The people holds the power not he leaders. China is different, the people wont be able to do nothing when prime ministers adresses to ban the BTC. But as we see nand experience, bitcoin adopters counts are vast day by day. So bitcoin can never be stopped.
That is just where it gets interesting. We all have the right to use whatever we please. I can decide to pay you with my new pair of sneakers if you accept isn't it? That is just the way it is! Worst government could do would be to ban exchanges in the country, but would that stop anyone from exchanging what they have if they deem it fit as a better form of exchange ? No!

We are always suppose to be in power and then we voted these guys and they turned us to slaves. Now, we are taking that power back and it is the strength of the community and that fact that has made bitcoin to be what it is today.
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:25:57 PM

Oh yeah they could indeed stop bitcoins if they so chose to do so but considering the benefits they are getting from bitcoins I doubt they even consider doing it except only even they faced with a security concerns only then will they ban it.
LordDisick

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:30:21 PM

The government can ban the use of bitcoin but they cannot eliminate it completely in my own opinion. Bitcoin can only be accessed with the use of internet so the government cannot eliminate internet on their country right? Maybe some can make a tool to detect bitcoin on internet but I still believe it wont happen anytime
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: