Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:17:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinOrama Report on the KnCminer/OrSoC Open-day Mon 10/06/13 (Stockholm)  (Read 55668 times)
hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 09:38:37 PM

All this makes me feel “warm and fuzzy” may I point out they have the money for about 800 rigs in the bank about $6 million USA $. I hope you are right .They could also disappear into the sunset with a bag full of bitcoins.

Joking

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 09:57:30 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 11:17:22 AM by Bitcoinorama

Ok, so Q&A (first page of) is typed up below. I dug a bit further than the question specified in a few places.

The pic below has an amusing story. We all know English is not the first language for anyone, but Sam, and he is probably the worst speller of the lot.

So, their tag line:

'Bitcoins make the world go around', is as they realised afterwards; a spelling mistake, and should read 'Bitcoin makes the world go round'.

Alas, too late and they had ordered Mars's boards by that point, all with the spelling error, which I had Sam so proudly pose with. We were all given a pcb board, complete with spelling mistake, as a memento. Who knows? Perhaps one day it itself may have value, if not only historical...

Bare in mind any err, umm, or ahhs are due to Marcus having to speak a foreign language to his own. He wasn't hestitating.

Q&A

ChipGeek

Note: These questions come from a guy (me) that has worked in (non bitcoin) ASIC design companies for over 25 years so my focus is from that perspective.

My questions are:

1) Is your ASIC design a hardcopy of the existing FPGA design or is it a semi-custom standard cell design?  (They've said "standard cell" before but other information makes it look like hardcopy.)

Marcus: Ah no it's definitely a standard cell, we've done hardcopies before like this, yes and structured ASIC, yes and gate array ASICs, but this specific design is standard cell ASIC 28nm.   

2) Have you done a (semi-) custom ASIC design of this complexity before?  Have you taken wafers through all of the post-fab production steps: wafer test, bumping, packaging, package test and binning?

Marcus: Thats a lot of questions in one question.

Sam: Have you done an ASIC Before...?

Marcus: Yes we have done many ASICs before.

Sam: (confidently dropping ASICs fabricated on PCBs onto the desk): That one, that one, that one.

Marcus: We have done designs that are much more complex. One with 187 clock domains, that's the...that's the most tough design. I...hope that we will never see such a design again, so yes we have done more complex designs.

Me: What Was that?

Marcus: That was a hardcopy. 40Nm hardcopy.

Me: But what was that for?

Marcus: Ah that's a confidential large customer.

Me: Ok, I thought that might be the case, alright...

Sam: How many clock domains are going to be in our chips?

Marcus: It's basically, well...it's going to be two clock domains, but...but there's a lot of different complexity changes, differences in between as well...

Another forum member interupts: Large scale binning and fabrication...

Marcus: Fabrication and all that, that is done by the fab, so they handle that, that's their business. We provide them with our jailcode, we've written our jailcode in a way that makes the back end design faster, and the fab time faster. There's multiple ways you can do that...if you know what you're doing.

3) Are you doing pre-package wafer test?

Marcus: No.

4) Are you doing post-packaging testing on a real production tester (Teradyne or similar)?

Marcus: No. We...and...and...I..I..I need to say a little bit about why; ah because we will have a self built in test that will automaically test...the...because the chips are so large, so that we can compensate for any losses in the Bitcoin engines. If there are any failing ones then we can compensate for that.

Me: Physically large?

Marcus: The...the die size of the...the?

Me: Yeah

Marcus: The die size will be...very large.

Me: But does that...ummm...

Marcus: That, that means that some of the parts in the ASIC might work and some will not, but we can compensate for that.

Another member: We can compensate for that.

Me: So does that mean you yield less per wafer?

Marcus: So yeah, you will always have a yield problem, and when you increase the die size, the yield problem becomes larger of course.

Me: ok

5) (This question only makes sense if they are NOT doing hardcopy.)  Is your package the same as the FPGA package or a custom one?  If custom, have you done custom packages before?

Marcus: Thats, it's not going to be the same package as the FPGA, as this is going to be a super large package. When we are talking about ASIC packages you have custom ASIC packages, and you have standard ASIC packages, ah, right now we're leaning towards, we have two options. We can use a very very large customised package solution, but we also have an option, so we...we don't have to decide that right now, but very soon we have to pick what kind of package, we should use. But it's, it's with ah, it definitely has to do with power, and heat dissipation. That's what's critical.

Me: So your now, your now going through a different route for heat dissipation, as you're not going down the liquid cooling anymore. Which was the original...

Sam: Datacentres told us not to. Please don't do it, we don't want to host that, we really don't want to see our customers demanding water cooling in our datacentres, blah...blah...blah, so...

Marcus interjects: But it's just the mounting...it's...it's a different mounting scheme, really. We mount that (show's big ass heatsink and fan) we can also mount water cooling

Sam: That's the heatsink (points)

Marcus: So err...we can choose, but for the first productions we'd rather use this ah, this massive active heatsink and over cool it and run the chip a little bit slower to make sure we can, we, we, we don't overheat it.

Me: So, I mean is it fair to assume, then, anything that you would house in future will go through this method, but you might offer a water cooling method if they want to do it at home if they want and have...?

Sam: Basically...basically yeah, at the moment, because we see it going towards industrial centres, rather than into ah single bedrooms like graphics cards are.

Me: But it's only going to be other than the cool factor, the ambient volume and, and being able to overclock it...

Sam: And then the only problem with these things (pointing at Mars fans) is they're not very big. That makes a lot more noise than this will ever make (pointing at huge fan on monster heatsink).

ElGabo

How many miners will you able to produce a day? Not exactly, their realistic perceived capacity + - 10%.

Sam: We can effectively ramp up the production to meet our demands. The numbers we are talking about making 100's effectively, maybe low thousands are umm their not even...their not even bothered by that number. The factories we are using are used to doing this kind of thing, on this scale, large production.

Me: How many daily, then...?

Sam: How many, how many men do we ask them for then...

Marcus interjects: Do we need 10 or 20 guys...? What will be our maximum. They have the space, they have the equipment, everything.

Sam: The factory is not the limiting factor, it's the parts in the door really. As long as we can always get the parts...

Marcus interjects: Yep

Sam: ...we can build the boxes

Marcus: Yep.

Me: Ok, umm...

Marcus: If there would be 50,000 boxes, then it would be a limiting factor. But if it's 1000-2500 boxes, or even 5,000 then it's not a problem.

Me: Ok, so are we going to see...10, 20, 50 a day, what do you reckon...?

Marcus: More

Sam: More

Marcus: Many, many more.

Andreas: More

Sam: Many more.

Me: No, no I just...

Sam: In the hundreds.

Marcus: Exactly

Me: Okay, okay, no, no no...I, I just need to get these guys a figure...ok?

Marcus: Hundreds, in the hundreds.

Ok, more tomorrow...night!

EDIT: Jailcode (where mentioned) = RTL Code.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:01:44 PM

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:01:45 PM

Ok, so Q&A (first page of) is typed up below. I dug a bit further than the question specified in a few places.

The pic below has an amusing story. We all know English is not the first language for anyone, but Sam, and he is probably the worst speller of the lot.

So, their tag line:

'Bitcoins make the world go around', is as they realised afterwards; a spelling mistake, and should read 'Bitcoin makes the world go round'.

Alas, too late and they had ordered Mar's boards by that point, all with the spelling error, which I had Sam so proudly pose with. We were all given a pcb board, complete with spelling mistake, as a memento. Who knows? Perhaps one day it itself may have value, if not only historical...

Heh. This could replace the "All your base are belong to us" line Smiley

Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

So, their tag line:

Alas, too late and they had ordered Mar's boards by that point, all with the spelling error, which I had Sam so proudly pose with. We were all given a pcb board, complete with spelling mistake, as a memento. Who knows? Perhaps one day it itself may have value, if not only historical...

Heh. This could replace the "All your base are belong to us" line Smiley

I'm not even joking, I sent that suggestion to both Marcus and Sam earlier today;

to Marcus

You can say round or around, it's just a becomes odd to say Bitcoins (plural) make the world go around.

'Bitcoin makes the world go round' would be correct.

'All Your Bitcoins Are Belong To Us' would win instant supergeek credibility and massive cool factor.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/all-your-base-are-belong-to-us

That caused lots of random people to just start posting the message everywhere in real life;

February 27, 2001: “All Your Base Are Belong to Us” makes its debut at #46 on the Lycos 50.
March 2, 2001: The Dutch railways website is hacked to display the phrase, “ALL YOUR TRAINS ARE BELONGTO US.”
2003: The meme quickly crosses into the real world. Universities are bombed with leaflets declaring that all their bases now belong.
April 1, 2003: In Sturgis, Michigan, a group of teenagers placed All Your Base signs all over town, interpreted by unwitting officials as a “borderline terrorist threat”.
2004: North Carolina State University students hack the phrase onto the news ticker of a live television news broadcast, FTW.

It would be awesome to have the boards with 'All Your Bitcoins Are Belong To Us', plus it makes light of the previous spelling error, so it's a humorous progression.

Please do that instead.

Best, A.

Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:15:00 PM

Would it be; "All your Bitcoin are belong to us", or "All your Bitcoins are belong to us"?

It would be the singular, right? As 'base' was never plural...

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:19:59 PM

Very nice very nice! Cheesy

Edit: I'm 99% sure that the singular is the way to go! "All your Bitcoin are belong to us"

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 10:23:28 PM

Excellent write up BitcoinOrama, we really appreciate your hard work!

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:27:35 PM

Would it be; "All your Bitcoin are belong to us", or "All your Bitcoins are belong to us"?

Bitcoin.   Edit: But possibly could be too nerdy for some.  If they don't know about the "base belong to" thing, they might be paranoid that KnC will steal (some of) their coins.  Or maybe not.

Thank you for your effort and trip report.  It was great to see the answers to my questions.  I look forward to the rest.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:34:28 PM

Bitcoin.   Edit: But possibly could be too nerdy for some.  If they don't know about the "base belong to" thing, they might be paranoid that KnC will steal (some of) their coins.  Or maybe not.

Thank you for your effort and trip report.  It was great to see the answers to my questions.  I look forward to the rest.

Haha, I thought that intially, but no it's too good an opportunity for lols to miss...it would become a viral meme in it's own right!!

All Your Bitcoin Are Belong To Us...Grin

22naru

Activity: 854
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:38:18 PM

cheers for storyline. Smiley

Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:43:20 PM

cheers for storyline. Smiley

Yah provides the most evidence, but takes the most time, hence the least enthusiasm...! Wink

KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:46:13 PM

So, their tag line:

Alas, too late and they had ordered Mars's boards by that point, all with the spelling error, which I had Sam so proudly pose with. We were all given a pcb board, complete with spelling mistake, as a memento. Who knows? Perhaps one day it itself may have value, if not only historical...

[snip]

Bare in mind any err, umm, or ahhs are due to Marcus having to speak a foreign language to his own. He wasn't hestitating.

Q&A

ChipGeek

Note: These questions come from a guy (me) that has worked in (non bitcoin) ASIC design companies for over 25 years so my focus is from that perspective.

My questions are:

1) Is your ASIC design a hardcopy of the existing FPGA design or is it a semi-custom standard cell design?  (They've said "standard cell" before but other information makes it look like hardcopy.)

Marcus: Ah no it's definitely a standard cell, we've done hardcopies before like this, yes and structured ASIC, yes and gate array ASICs, but this specific design is standard cell ASIC 28nm.   

2) Have you done a (semi-) custom ASIC design of this complexity before?  Have you taken wafers through all of the post-fab production steps: wafer test, bumping, packaging, package test and binning?

Marcus: Thats a lot of questions in one question.

Sam: Have you done an ASIC Before...?

Marcus: Yes we have done many ASICs before.

Sam: (confidently dropping ASICs fabricated on PCBs onto the desk): That one, that one, that one.

Marcus: We have done designs that are much more complex. One with 187 clock domains, that's the...that's the most tough design. I...hope that we will never see such a design again, so yes we have done more complex designs.

Me: What Was that?

Marcus: That was a hardcopy. 40Nm hardcopy.

Me: But what was that for?

Marcus: Ah that's a confidential large customer.

Me: Ok, I thought that might be the case, alright...

Sam: How many clock domains are going to be in our chips?

Marcus: It's basically, well...it's going to be two clock domains, but...but there's a lot of different complexity changes, differences in between as well...

Another forum member interupts: Large scale binning and fabrication...

Marcus: Fabrication and all that, that is done by the fab, so they handle that, that's their business. We provide them with our jailcode, we've written our jailcode in a way that makes the back end design faster, and the fab time faster. There's multiple ways you can do that...if you know what you're doing.

3) Are you doing pre-package wafer test?

Marcus: No.

4) Are you doing post-packaging testing on a real production tester (Teradyne or similar)?

Marcus: No. We...and...and...I..I..I need to say a little bit about why; ah because we will have a self built in test that will automaically test...the...because the chips are so large, so that we can compensate for any losses in the Bitcoin engines. If there are any failing ones then we can compensate for that.

Me: Physically large?

Marcus: The...the die size of the...the?

Me: Yeah

Marcus: The die size will be...very large.

Me: But does that...ummm...

Marcus: That, that means that some of the parts in the ASIC might work and some will not, but we can compensate for that.

Another member: We can compensate for that.

Me: So does that mean you yield less per wafer?

Marcus: So yeah, you will always have a yield problem, and when you increase the die size, the yield problem becomes larger of course.

Me: ok

5) (This question only makes sense if they are NOT doing hardcopy.)  Is your package the same as the FPGA package or a custom one?  If custom, have you done custom packages before?

Marcus: Thats, it's not going to be the same package as the FPGA, as this is going to be a super large package. When we are talking about ASIC packages you have custom ASIC packages, and you have standard ASIC packages, ah, right now we're leaning towards, we have two options. We can use a very very large customised package solution, but we also have an option, so we...we don't have to decide that right now, but very soon we have to pick what kind of package, we should use. But it's, it's with ah, it definitely has to do with power, and heat dissipation. That's what's critical.

Me: So your now, your now going through a different route for heat dissipation, as you're not going down the liquid cooling anymore. Which was the original...

Sam: Datacentres told us not to. Please don't do it, we don't want to host that, we really don't want to see our customers demanding water cooling in our datacentres, blah...blah...blah, so...

Marcus interjects: But it's just the mounting...it's...it's a different mounting scheme, really. We mount that (show's big ass heatsink and fan) we can also mount water cooling

Sam: That's the heatsink (points)

Marcus: So err...we can choose, but for the first productions we'd rather use this ah, this massive active heatsink and over cool it and run the chip a little bit slower to make sure we can, we, we, we don't overheat it.

Me: So, I mean is it fair to assume, then, anything that you would house in future will go through this method, but you might offer a water cooling method if they want to do it at home if they want and have...?

Sam: Basically...basically yeah, at the moment, because we see it going towards industrial centres, rather than into ah single bedrooms like graphics cards are.

Me: But it's only going to be other than the cool factor, the ambient volume and, and being able to overclock it...

Sam: And then the only problem with these things (pointing at Mars fans) is they're not very big. That makes a lot more noise than this will ever make (pointing at huge fan on monster heatsink).

[snip]

ElGabo

How many miners will you able to produce a day? Not exactly, their realistic perceived capacity + - 10%.

Sam: We can effectively ramp up the production to meet our demands. The numbers we are talking about making 100's effectively, maybe low thousands are umm their not even...their not even bothered by that number. The factories we are using are used to doing this kind of thing, on this scale, large production.

Me: How many daily, then...?

Sam: How many, how many men do we ask them for then...

Marcus interjects: Do we need 10 or 20 guys...? What will be our maximum. They have the space, they have the equipment, everything.

Sam: The factory is not the limiting factor, it's the parts in the door really. As long as we can always get the parts...

Marcus interjects: Yep

Sam: ...we can build the boxes

Marcus: Yep.

Me: Ok, umm...

Marcus: If there would be 50,000 boxes, then it would be a limiting factor. But if it's 1000-2500 boxes, or even 5,000 then it's not a problem.

Me: Ok, so are we going to see...10, 20, 50 a day, what do you reckon...?

Marcus: More

Sam: More

Marcus: Many, many more.

Andreas: More

Sam: Many more.

Me: No, no I just...

Sam: In the hundreds.

Marcus: Exactly

Me: Okay, okay, no, no no...I, I just need to get these guys a figure...ok?

Marcus: Hundreds, in the hundreds.

Ok, more tomorrow...night!

good read.

and your idea about AYBABTO is totally lame. Wink
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:48:16 PM

So you're saying it's more-or-less OK to throw money at these people ?

I'd take it with a grain of salt. Consider who the OP is. That being said: I'm hopeful that knc turns out to both legit and capable, and as with all asic manufacturers once something ships I'll buy one.

Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:49:29 PM

good read.

Wha?!...and after I complimented you on your choice of signature the other day...! Roll Eyes

Grin Grin

J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:57:53 PM

I'll repeat this here ...

My takeaway from that ...

There is no wafer test.

There is no packaged chip test.

They are simply going to solder the chips on the boards and hope any defects are not fatal (ie unusable boards).

Their yield had better be pretty good for that strategy to work.

(Disclosure, my first job in ASIC industry: test engineer, though things may well have come on a bit in the last 30 years). (Ignore, argument from authority).

PS What is so difficult about the packaged chip test? At the very least measure the supply current to exclude the meltdown risks and run just a few test vectors through them to check the I/O protocol works. They are in way too much of a hurry to get product shipped.

PPS "The chip manufacturer I believe is chosen today. Sam was quite matter of fact about how they aim to hit September,"
... nothing more needs to be said. Read it and weep.

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Bitcoinorama (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:11:49 PM

I'd take it with a grain of salt. Consider who the OP is. That being said: I'm hopeful that knc turns out to both legit and capable, and as with all asic manufacturers once something ships I'll buy one.

What does that mean?! I'm strictly not telling anyone to do anything, at all. It even says that in the first post in no uncertain terms. I then repeated it in a reply to this very question.

I'm just reporting what I saw, as I saw it, and what was said. I'm also making sure the two are separate from each-other so I do not pollute the latter with any opinion. Ask anyone else who attended of their opinion. It will be positive, but Bitcoin's SP, the hashrate, and the known/unknown competition are all factors that have huge influence...on any potential outcome.

KnC/ORSoC are a real engineering firm. There is still genuine risk. Being engineers they are limiting where possible, but the time factor means they have to take calculated risks themselves. Anyone getting into this 'ASIC race', which is exactly what it is, should understand that.

As for my authenticity I turned up knackered after a long convoluted journey with one of the world's worst airline from London Stanstead at 6am to the furthest Stockholm airport, Skavsta, and a long-ass coach transfer, in person, after limited sleep throughout the weekend prior, verifiable by all those in attendance. If you want, I'll post the boarding passes as well (sans identifiable personal details).

firefop

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:12:42 PM

I'll repeat this here ...

My takeaway from that ...

There is no wafer test.

There is no packaged chip test.

They are simply going to solder the chips on the boards and hope any defects are not fatal (ie unusable boards).

Their yield had better be pretty good for that strategy to work.

(Disclosure, my first job in ASIC industry: test engineer, though things may well have come on a bit in the last 30 years). (Ignore, argument from authority).

PS What is so difficult about the packaged chip test? At the very least measure the supply current to exclude the meltdown risks and run just a few test vectors through them to check the I/O protocol works. They are in way too much of a hurry to get product shipped.

PPS "The chip manufacturer I believe is chosen today. Sam was quite matter of fact about how they aim to hit September,"
... nothing more needs to be said. Read it and weep.

Granted... at least voltage tests and i/o tests seem simple enough...  but on the other hand, if they're capable of excluding defective engines through an automated process onboard - then there's really little reason to pre-test anything.

firefop

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:15:26 PM

What does that mean?! I'm strictly not telling anyone to do anything, at all. It even says that in the first post in no uncertain terms. I then repeated it in a reply to this very question.

I'm just reporting what I saw, as I saw it, and what was said. I'm also making sure the two are separate from each-other so I do not pollute the latter with any opinion. Ask anyone else who attended of their opinion. It will be positive, but Bitcoin's SP, the hashrate, and the known/unknown competition are all factors that have huge influence...on any potential outcome.

KnC/ORSoC are a real engineering firm. There is still genuine risk. Being engineers they are limiting where possible, but the time factor means they have to take calculated risks themselves. Anyone getting into this 'ASIC race', which is exactly what it is, should understand that.

As for my authenticity I turned up knackered after a long convoluted journey with one of the world's worst airline at 6am to the furthest Stockholm airport, and a long-ass coach transfer, in person, after limited sleep throughout the weekend prior, verifiable by all those in attendance. If you want, I'll post the boarding passes as well (sans identifiable personal details).

I believe you where there... but everything else aside - it could still be a con of some sort. If it is, it's best presented one in bitcoin history. If it's not, I'll be buying right along with everyone else once we see product in the wild.

KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:16:29 PM

good read.

Wha?!...and after I complimented you on your choice of signature the other day...! Roll Eyes

Grin Grin
That was totally 'cause *I* have good taste Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: