Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:27:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spamming to get the Hero status and get trust  (Read 2636 times)
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:27:13 PM

The spammers are fairly easy to spot.  I have noticed many times on the sub-forum listings that the same person has the last post on five to ten successive threads.  Rather than posting in random threads, which would make it less obvious, they seem to just post, move to the next thread and then repeat.

Usually this is the case, but lately I've seen more subtle spamming attempts to boost post counts. MicroGuy, for example, started off with some normal content, then escalated to one word / one sentence posts and spamming the "Let's Count to 21 Million with Images" thread with random pics.

Posting seems to have slowed down since he reached hero status.

I suppose the general goal for most newbies of late has been to generate a mix of crap and content in just the right proportion to prevent getting banned.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:31:13 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=91631

this user just posts another user's post verbatim, or quotes them and adds "+1", "this", etc.

Wow, never seen so many posts stating the same thing. That is ridiculous. Good thing people check their history and use the search function. They'll soon see their 'posts' aren't legit and not to trust them.
I certainly wouldn't trust that user, doesn't show anything that contributes to the community.

Generally, I don't care if they have posted loads of replies. As long as they are interested and have something interesting to say, or give their personal opinion. BUt, replying 'this' for multiple threads is just....crazy.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:47:19 PM

this user just posts another user's post verbatim, or quotes them and adds "+1", "this", etc.
Wow, the banhammer is underused nowadays

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:13:31 PM

I delete a lot of 'this' and '+1' posts lately. A banhammer is not really justified here as the user may not be aware that this is a bad way of behaving. If they go around and quote posts without really adding content, the banhammer is in place. Smiley
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:20:51 PM

Holy hell, he had around 450 post till yesterday and now 617. Also this kodo guy is bumping many weeks old threads.

His name is Jack
He's a necrophiliac

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:28:06 PM

Wow, the banhammer is underused nowadays
Can you imagine trying to moderate this pit of depravity? It's not a case of sorting the wheat from the chaff, its a case of wiping sticky bits of shite off the wheat and chaff and they're expected to do it for free. At least buy the poor bastards a beer for their troubles when they get an annoying bit.
Don't get me wrong it was not a criticism at all
I often post in scammy threads that are deleted by the time I click on Reply, so I know they are doing a great job

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:37:32 PM

I guess we should just report the post if they contribute to the thread and just say a few words. So what's you're input on 'reserved' posts.
Should they be allowed? They are one word replies but a lot of people use it, and I guess it is actually very useful. Especially if you are the original thread poster.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:41:51 PM

I guess we should just report the post if they contribute to the thread and just say a few words. So what's you're input on 'reserved' posts.
Should they be allowed? They are one word replies but a lot of people use it, and I guess it is actually very useful. Especially if you are the original thread poster.

If you run into the post size limit through edits, I can create an extra post for you below the first post. No need to worry too much about this.

Signature space available for rent.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:08:56 PM

Sry, I wasn't aiming anything at you there. It would be a tough call between spam and just talkative for a lot of the posts in the small area of the forum I visit so doing the same over the whole forum must be a real pain.

...so I know they are doing a great job
+1

I never know if I should use the "Report to moderator" link for anything but obvious trolls, if everyone used it then I'd guess it would cause its own spam :/

That's a interesting way to look at it. But, without reporting and everyone thinking like that, the forum could just look a mess. But, I guess you are right that it would cause spam for the moderators. I myself, always report anything that I personally think is not needed/wrong section.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:18:00 PM

Just chiming in to say reporting stuff is good!

I think more people should report stuff, it's how I find things to act on besides the occasional dip into Bitcoin Discussion to sort topics to the right spot.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 07:34:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about report spamming. If it can't get handled we just need more mods, and logic follows that a person who has many accurate reports would be the most efficient choice (less reports, more moderation  Grin). I'm sure there's dishonest people who would game it though.

Looking at my email we only get around..60? a day for the entire forum.

Reports I most often mark as bad are people reporting scammers, that's what scammer accusations is for.  Next most common bad report would be reporting others for bad language or being insulting.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:17:33 PM

Reports I most often mark as bad are people reporting scammers, that's what scammer accusations is for.  Next most common bad report would be reporting others for bad language or being insulting.

It would be convenient if there was a way for the reporting person to see which exact reports where marked as 'bad' or 'correct' because sometimes it's not as clear as it may look.

For example:

- I learned from John that old threads are not moved for historical reasons (when I asked why the NMC thread wasn't moved to the alt-coin board)
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205790.0
- as for the bad language or being insulting - I think I only reported one such post, don't know if the report was marked as 'good' or 'bad' but I've done because it conveyed no other message apart from the insult, it was deleted after I complained somewhere that it wasn't being deleted Tongue
Could someone comment whether this post is still valid/relevant? 

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.

Many users posts' are not ''calm and polite''* and are not deleted, could that post be edited to reflect the current moderating policies?

Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are in any way insulting and add no value to the topic (either the rest of the post is off-topic or it consists of the insult only)?
Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are excessively* insulting and add no value to the topic (either the rest of the post is off-topic or it consists of the insult only)?
Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are in any way insulting but at least in some way are on-topic?
Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are excessively insulting but at least in some way are on-topic?

*I know these terms are not absolute etc.

Signature space available for rent.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 08:38:38 PM

Reports I most often mark as bad are people reporting scammers, that's what scammer accusations is for.  Next most common bad report would be reporting others for bad language or being insulting.

It would be convenient if there was a way for the reporting person to see which exact reports where marked as 'bad' or 'correct' because sometimes it's not as clear as it may look.

For example:

- I learned from John that old threads are not moved for historical reasons (when I asked why the NMC thread wasn't moved to the alt-coin board)
- as for the bad language or being insulting - I think I only reported one such post, don't know if the report was marked as 'good' or 'bad' but I've done because it conveyed no other message apart from the insult, it was deleted after I complained somewhere that it wasn't being deleted Tongue

I'm not particularly in favor of that because I don't feel like defending every single thing I mark as a bad report, but I'll keep that in mind and try to pm people more about it.

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.

Many users posts' are not ''calm and polite''* and are not deleted, could that post be edited to reflect the current moderating policies?

Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are in any way insulting and add no value to the topic (either the rest of the post is off-topic or it consists of the insult only)?
Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are excessively* insulting and add no value to the topic (either the rest of the post is off-topic or it consists of the insult only)?
Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are in any way insulting but at least in some way are on-topic?
Are posts to be reported and deleted if they are excessively insulting but at least in some way are on-topic?

No, I don't consider that post to be representative of how I feel, and I'll leave it at that.

Posts absolutely should be removed if they only contain insults though, it leads to nothing productive. Insults along with discussion is fine, I'm not going to demand people be nice.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:00:25 PM

I delete a lot of 'this' and '+1' posts lately. A banhammer is not really justified here as the user may not be aware that this is a bad way of behaving. If they go around and quote posts without really adding content, the banhammer is in place. Smiley

Didn't we change the forum policy a while back to outlaw '+1' posts?

This would not be a problem if people did not put so much stock in forum post count as a method of judging other people. The trust system might help with that. It might also be beneficial to take the forum post counter off peoples' posts. Have the post count visible by looking at the profile, but there is no reason it needs to be right there with the user's name on every single post they make, that makes it seem like the post count is part of their identity.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 10:15:28 PM

I wouldn't worry about report spamming. If it can't get handled we just need more mods, and logic follows that a person who has many accurate reports would be the most efficient choice (less reports, more moderation  Grin). I'm sure there's dishonest people who would game it though.

Looking at my email we only get around..60? a day for the entire forum.

Reports I most often mark as bad are people reporting scammers, that's what scammer accusations is for.  Next most common bad report would be reporting others for bad language or being insulting.

oft but if you want some English based mod for the summer then I'm yours Smiley I spend way too much time on here, give me a full set of forum rules and I'll implement them to the letter. Oh, and you don't seem to have an attack dog/adorable puppy yet *engages puppy eyes*

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:03:43 AM

For example:

I'm not particularly in favor of that because I don't feel like defending every single thing I mark as a bad report, but I'll keep that in mind and try to pm people more about it.

No, I don't consider that post to be representative of how I feel, and I'll leave it at that.

Posts absolutely should be removed if they only contain insults though, it leads to nothing productive. Insults along with discussion is fine, I'm not going to demand people be nice.

Damn, I wish you'd change that policy. Inaba would be gone!

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:16:42 AM

I like how people are free to express themselves, and it's up to the reader to judge the character of the poster.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 05:13:51 AM

If people looked through posts, this problem of spamming for hero status wouldn't be a problem  Undecided

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:48:43 AM

If people looked through posts, this problem of spamming for hero status wouldn't be a problem  Undecided

That, or posting volume. Unless you are Satoshi or Gavin, there are only so many insightful comments one can make in a day.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:57:37 AM

That, or posting volume. Unless you are Satoshi or Gavin, there are only so many insightful comments one can make in a day.
Posting volume is not a good idea either as you can quote a wall of text and just put +1

If theymos wants to leave the past count displayed I really think he should display registration date next to it

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: