Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:27:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A threat hanging over us  (Read 1696 times)
stan.distortion (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:20:29 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2015, 09:43:56 PM by stan.distortion

Curious about the trolls methods? http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5
Manipulation of public discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:21:38 AM

This is quite normal , if they aren't threatening us, I will be worried Smiley
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:11:42 AM

I guess most folks have seen this already:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232950.0

It's fairly obvious that's a smear campaign ready and waiting to be fired at Bitcoin but then there's the story so far:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233680.0

That suggests its really a stick and the carrot is regulation. At first glance through a westerners eyes it looks like that puts a lot of pressure on the devs but in reality Bitcoin's much bigger than that, its a democratic system on a global scale and the dev's have already made it clear there's no shortage of coders for the project.

That lets the dev's off the hook, they can declare the sky is green, the sea is orange and Ben Bernanke is undisputed ruler of the galaxy in the 1.0 blockchain if they wish, its ultimately up to the user's to decide if they want to run that version and take regulation in exchange for fincen's blessing and the riches it brings. The alternative is all the mud the western corporate media can sling and every time Joe Public hears "Bitcoin" he'll think "child abuse".

But Joe Public has a short memory and quick gets bored of hearing the same tune, by the time the next headline on the agenda has cooled it will be nothing but a vague memory and will probably do more to promote Bitcoin in the long run... but that's up to the users, take the money and run or financial freedom?

Well, we were waiting for it since the dawn of Bitcoin. I don't really think people will be too surprised here.

It would be more surprising & unexpected if they didn't try to fight us.

QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 10:29:54 AM

Its not surprising tbh, Im surprised there hasn't been earlier " attacks " on btc.

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:48:07 AM

yet another thread where people don't do the research

the threat is only against the FIAT touching exchanges.

end of

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
extortion

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:50:56 AM

all us bitcoiners should just branch off and start a country in Antarctica, and leave all the stupid people behind. We would quickly become the dominant country in the world. we could start our own little country built on bitcoin and true freedom. 

Extortion. We are Anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We Do Not Forget. Expect Us.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:06:30 AM

all us bitcoiners should just branch off and start a country in Antarctica, and leave all the stupid people behind. We would quickly become the dominant country in the world. we could start our own little country built on bitcoin and true freedom. 
True
But I wouldn't mind some sun

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
CryptoCat

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:44:15 PM

I've read the .pdf and i didn't see a problem for bitcoin itself.
They just want bitcoin to exclude criminals. That those who earn btc with illegal activities, can't exchange it into FIAT.
I think that's all!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:14:48 PM

Can you hear them? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Infocalypse

threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 04:51:29 PM

Pedophiles fill in the gaps when the terrorists aren't doing anything.

Grin Grin

I mean SERIOUSLY has anyone here(/anywhere) bought a child slave with Bitcoin? I still can't even buy a frickin hamburger.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:56:52 PM

yet another thread where people don't do the research

the threat is only against the FIAT touching exchanges.

end of

So where does the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children fit in?

liberty reserve.. which is a dollar exchanger....

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:00:08 PM

For those worried about this, ask yourself this: "What regulation or restriction can be implemented to stop all use of Bitcoin?"

I sure as hell can't come up with anything.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:10:25 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 05:21:13 PM by franky1

For those worried about this, ask yourself this: "What regulation or restriction can be implemented to stop all use of Bitcoin?"

although fincen only care about the fiat exchanges. if..... IF there was a day they moved onto the bitcoin side of the fense by buying up the copyright/trademarks from MTGOX and then taking over armory, blockchain.info, bitcoin foundation. the first thing i would see is forcing the main software developers to add login pages to the programs. which link to personal information.

which would put a dent into bitcoin freedoms. but because fiat is government property and bitcoin is not... it wont ever happen

EDIT
by the word "dent".. i mean, maybe a week of disruption before a new wallet program got released to the masses. so not really an impending doom of any sorts

jaywaka2713

Activity: 266

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:14:23 PM

although fincen only care about the fiat exchanges. if..... IF there was a day they moved onto the bitcoin side of the fense by buying up the copyright/trademarks from MTGOX and then taking over armory, blockchain.info, bitcoin foundation. the first thing i would see is forcing the main software developers to add login pages to the programs. which link to personal information.

which would put a dent into bitcoin freedoms. but because fiat is government property and bitcoin is not... it wont ever happen

The entire scenario you described is impossible LOL. Nobody has anything to fear.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:37:15 AM

The entire scenario you described is impossible LOL. Nobody has anything to fear.
not impossible. just very very improbable

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: