Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:16:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin decimal issue  (Read 5527 times)
wingding (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:47:34 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 06:45:11 PM by wingding

Once upon a time there was a village where one rich man who had ten breads while the rest of the village was poor and starved. The rich man said to the poor people: "listen, I will share one bread with the rest of you, that should keep you satisfied" the villagers responded: "one bread wont feed us all" The rich man said "Oh, that is no problem, the bread can be cut into 20 slices". But The villagers responded "that is not enough, we are thousands of starving people" The rich man then said "that is still not a problem, because each slice of bread can be divided into hundreds of crumbles - and if that is not enough for you, each crumble can actually be divided into billions of molecules"

After pondering a little on the rich man's last answer, the villagers became euphoric and danced in a ring shouting: "It can be divided into crumbles - and then into microcrumbles!" "It will be plenty for everyone!"  Some time after that they were all dead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:50:16 PM

Once upon a time there was a village where one rich man who had ten breads while the rest of the village was poor and starved. The rich man said to the poor people: "listen, I will share one bread with the rest of you, that should keep you satisfied" the villagers responded: "one bread wont feed us all" The rich man said "Oh, that is no problem, the bread can be cut into 20 slices". But The villagers responded "that is not enough, we are thousands of starving people" The rich man then said "that is still not a problem, because each slice of bread can be divided into hundreds of crumbles - and if that is not enough for you, each crumble can actually be divided into billions of molecules"

Stupid story? Well it is exactly the same logic that a disturbingly lot of people here believe can solve the problem of the limited supply of bitcoins.

F-

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:53:14 PM

b8/10

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:08:39 PM

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on this forum, and that's saying a lot. If the "problem" is that it is impossible for Bitcoin to produce infinite wealth by infinite splitting, then a) nobody who suggests splitting bitcoins has that as a goal; and b) if you think that is their goal, or should be, or is even remotely possible in any way whatsoever, or that anyone even believes it is possible, then you're an idiot.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:17:03 AM

Yes this post shows major deficits in comprehension.  Particularly of relative value.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:22:49 AM

Stupid story? Well it is exactly the same logic that a disturbingly lot of people here believe can solve the problem of the limited supply of bitcoins.

food and currency are 2 different things.

lets sat a town mayor owned one satoshi. he could divide it up as a trusted person into 100,000 parts and print pieces of paper that he trades gold, food, land for the decimals and then the receivers of the decimals can then use those decimals to trade amungst themselves for food, products etc. or trade with the town mayor to change the decimals back into gold/land whatever. never disappearing.

one slice of bread will keep a stomach happy for half a day. after that its gone never to come back, flushed down the toilet and tomorrow everyone is to starve.

completely different things entirely

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jagallout

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:31:42 AM

This story reminds me of the infinite division vs infinitely small logic puzzle:  The question goes something along the lines of:  If you can split a minute/inch/teddy bear etc.  into an infinite number of smaller pieces, and because infinity is of course never ending, how is it then possible that your minute/inch/severed puppy ear is not infinitely long/long/(hairy?).
abdada

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:20:38 PM

The OP has no understanding of basic economics.

The value of any currency isn't "set" except by supply and demand.

100 years ago, you could buy a candy bar for $0.01.  Today that same candy bar is $1.00.  We didn't NEED to make the price more expensive, and it isn't more expensive at all, because the value of the US dollar has fallen 99x in 100 years.  So today's $1.00 is EQUAL to $0.01 from 100 years ago.

BTC will operate in the opposite fashion if it becomes widely used.  What costs 1BTC today might only cost 0.01BTC in 10 years, but the VALUE will be identical.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:38:54 PM

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on this forum, and that's saying a lot. If the "problem" is that it is impossible for Bitcoin to produce infinite wealth by infinite splitting, then a) nobody who suggests splitting bitcoins has that as a goal; and b) if you think that is their goal, or should be, or is even remotely possible in any way whatsoever, or that anyone even believes it is possible, then you're an idiot.

This.

OP just took first position on my 'dumbest posts' list. Congratulations.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:52:06 PM

There was once a man who lived in a poor city. He decided he loved all his people so much that he wanted them to be rich. He thought "If I could just find a way to make more money, I can help my people!!" So he simply broke into the mint and printed more money for them. Everytime there was a problem he broke in and printed more and more money to solve the issue. Eventually everyone had money making it become more and more useless and inflating the price of everything beyond a reasonable doubt. There was never a resolution, and the people of his city are still dealing with the problem to this very day. Sound familiar?  Roll Eyes

It should because your one of the citizens.

Welcome one of the many global economic issues of today. Good Luck!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
wingding (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:13:55 PM

There once was a man called Nakamoto. He printed a million coins. He was later joined by a few other guys who together printed yet a few million coins. Thereafter many people joined, but printing then became very difficult. Actually the printing press will slow down to zero. However, those guys who printed the first coins are willing to sell their coins to rest of the world. And if those other people of the world only can grab a fraction of a coin, don't worry - it can be divided by 10e8. Economy!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:36:16 PM

This story reminds me of the infinite division vs infinitely small logic puzzle:  The question goes something along the lines of:  If you can split a minute/inch/teddy bear etc.  into an infinite number of smaller pieces, and because infinity is of course never ending, how is it then possible that your minute/inch/severed puppy ear is not infinitely long/long/(hairy?).
That was solved like in 1600 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimal_calculus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_calculus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_calculus

silvergoldandbitcoin

Activity: 424
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:49:39 AM

..... I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this post.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:46:45 AM

The OP has no understanding of basic economics.

The value of any currency isn't "set" except by supply and demand.

100 years ago, you could buy a candy bar for $0.01.  Today that same candy bar is $1.00.  We didn't NEED to make the price more expensive, and it isn't more expensive at all, because the value of the US dollar has fallen 99x in 100 years.  So today's $1.00 is EQUAL to $0.01 from 100 years ago.

But if I have a penny from 10 years ago it isn't worth squat today, worth less than when it fell out of my pocket and rolled under the dresser. However if I have a bitcoin from 5 years ago it is worth a lot more. I like deflationary currency Cheesy

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:43:06 AM

1e-8 bitcoin can serve the EXACT same purpose as 1 bitcoin, in terms of using it as a digital currency unit.

1 breadcrumb can NOT serve the exact same purpose as 1 bread, in terms of satisfying a person's hunger.

Was that so hard?

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Bogdan

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:01:51 AM

I dont see how that related to this.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:01:54 AM

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:03:18 AM

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:11:30 AM

Reported, with a request to burn after reading.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:45:20 AM

Once upon a time, there was a guy that didn't understand the difference between physical goods with mass, and abstract money.  He wrote a story comparing bread to bitcoin.  Sadly, everyone laughed at him, because each tiny little bit of bread can only be consumed once, so the whole loaf has only a fixed amount of sustaining power, no matter how divided, while money circulates to be used over and over again without ever being consumed.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: