Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:27:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The truth about the BFL 1000 BTC fund?  (Read 6476 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smiley35

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:54:12 AM

How is theymos profiting as a mod? do mods get $$ for advertising? how does this work?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:38:03 AM

How is theymos profiting as a mod? do mods get $$ for advertising? how does this work?

theymos is an admin, he helps keep the forums up and does other tasks as necessary. The moderators do the bulk of the moving of topics and such, and theymos makes changes to the forum to help support them. They receive advertising revenue based on the amount of work they are doing. It's not a huge amount of money, in case you're concerned.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:23:24 AM

We have been calling and explaining bitcoin to a number of charities and trying to get them on board.  It's not exactly a quick or easy process.

If you've got some, by all means, submit them and we'll review them and/or add them as appropriate.  The BitcoinDF site is not finished, but we did want to get something up to move things forward.  That's why it was labeled as a sneak peek.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:44:12 AM

We have been calling and explaining bitcoin to a number of charities and trying to get them on board.  It's not exactly a quick or easy process.

If you've got some, by all means, submit them and we'll review them and/or add them as appropriate.  The BitcoinDF site is not finished, but we did want to get something up to move things forward.  That's why it was labeled as a sneak peek.

Thank you Josh for donating 1,000 bitcoins on behalf of BFL to charities and open sourced projects. I'm glad BFL has decided to honor its commitments and run an internal foundation.

Could you clarify how BDF selects organizations to receive donations? 

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:48:42 AM

Thank you Josh for donating 1,000 bitcoins on behalf of BFL to charities and open sourced projects. I'm glad BFL has decided to honor its commitments and run an internal foundation.

I also think that this is the right thing to do and I am glad you are (so far) giving to Bitcoin related projects. $100,000 more invested can't hurt BTC:)

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:49:09 AM

You could fund Bitcoin100 for quite a while with that large a donation.

smiley35

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:00:40 AM

theymos is an admin, he helps keep the forums up and does other tasks as necessary. The moderators do the bulk of the moving of topics and such, and theymos makes changes to the forum to help support them. They receive advertising revenue based on the amount of work they are doing. It's not a huge amount of money, in case you're concerned.

I'm not concerned, just trying to understand how moderation on reddit works, does he pick the adds that go up, is he paid directly?
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:07:44 AM

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I've applied to be on the charity selection board.
Hi there,
Kudos on the fund - This is a great idea and probably the best way BFL could have fulfilled their promise given the values at stake.   I think I would be a good addition to your selection board as I have visibility within the community, a reputation for being fair, reality based, and comprehensive, and I sequester my personal ideology from merit based decision-making. 

Let me know if you'd like to set up a time to talk about this, I look forward to your response.

I sincerely hope the guy you quoted in the original post isn't the one picking charities, if this is governed by a real board it could be very helpful.

Hey Josh,
When are you planning on forming the board?

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:42:44 AM

This just stinks to high heaven.

I could care less what BFL does from here on as I have seen enough to make me sick.

Thats it!! Gather around and suck some more balls.

You all make me sick.
FloridaBear

Activity: 260
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:57:13 PM

Thank you Josh for donating 1,000 291 bitcoins on behalf of BFL to charities and open sourced projects. I'm glad BFL has decided to honor its commitments and run an internal foundation.

I also think that this is the right thing to do and I am glad you are (so far) giving to Bitcoin related projects. $100,000 more invested can't hurt BTC:)

FTFY.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:30:24 PM

You could fund Bitcoin100 for quite a while with that large a donation.

They could, but I would rather have them donate money to actual Bitcoin related projects, instead of general charities. There are a lot of starving software developers out there  Grin
mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:39:19 PM

Hey Josh,
When are you planning on forming the board?

Why is there so much interest in how they give away their own coin? Was their some detail in the bet/pledge that I missed that said Josh had to ask the Internet who to give it to?

Because on the front page of bitcoindf.org it currently says this
If you would like to donate or become a member of our charity selection board, please email submit@bitcoindf.org or send BTC to 1ERVh27gZfPSDaaagL9R3W12xpMJ38ZBA7.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:26:06 AM

I just did some spot-checking, and it appears that funds are being donated. For example, this donation to CGminer:
https://blockchain.info/tx/73de8b19a222450f3c5a69c7eb5804cdd3e24a1081c88f7870dff30d06ceac84

Is there any dispute that these donations are being made? Is there any dispute that the recipients of these donations are entities independent of BFL?

My reference: http://www.bitcoindf.org/

So they're paying contractors to develop software for their hardware. How is that a "donation to charity"?

Buy & Hold
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2013, 07:35:38 PM

And it has now been revealed that Josh has no intention of making the donation process transparent nor will donate to any entity that has called BFL's business practices into question. Again BFL makes a good thing bad. Thanks Josh for never letting my low opinion of you down.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 07:12:02 PM

I wanted to update:
I know of at least three people (Myself, Stephanie Murphy and Teresa Warmke) who have all send one or more emails to be considered for the "charity selection board", and none of us received any response in the last month.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of operation they have, but they don't seem to be seriously looking for board members.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:33:59 AM

Update?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 08:40:37 AM

You expect BFL to be involved in anything other than misery, lies, damage to the community and bitter insults? This is yet another house of cards built to attempt to avoid the inevitable faith of all snake oil salesmen. 

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:18:50 PM

I would like to reiterate that the topic here is the fund, not the business or Inaba's personality).

... But Zerlan's personality and arrogant behavior is getting in the way of, and cheapening the entire premise of their "fund"

You can't have a discussion about the fund, and not discuss Josh's deplorable behavior, based on the comments you yourself have posted from him.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:45:02 AM

I would like to reiterate that the topic here is the fund, not the business or Inaba's personality).

... But Zerlan's personality and arrogant behavior is getting in the way of, and cheapening the entire premise of their "fund"

You can't have a discussion about the fund, and not discuss Josh's deplorable behavior, based on the comments you yourself have posted from him.

Is it time for the why are we waiting song?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: