Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:48:47 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do most people invest in wrong ICOs to lose money ?  (Read 2429 times)
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 09:52:59 PM

Yes many people lose money in scam ICOs
Investing in ICO is risky. because many projects are scam. so i think, first you research white paper and check about team member at the project. then you decide Participate in ICO or not.

jes it is risky but the great is bigger than the mind, and the hopes are bigger than the reason so people invest into risky "promising" icos

not in stable and secure ones,

1kings

Activity: 187
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:52:00 PM

Not at all - my point is that the past is the past - when there were fewer ICOs in the original hype - some people THAT SOLD made some returns, but for every seller post ICO, there is a buyer ´- so altogether huge losses have been made. The earnings were "luck" since almost EVERYTHING rallied, since then at least 90% are and have been failing.

Even bad projects "back then" made some short term gains - NOW IT IS IMPERATIVE that people invest differently - hence my point is that people have to shun the rubbish and foget the hyped projects and change outlook.
I agree with you. But as I said earlier...you need losers to have winners.

"A sucker is born every minute." -- it is famous saying for a reason.  Had been, will always be...and there is nothing we can do about it.

BTW, I am a sucker too sometimes...I am human so not fool proof. Wink Cheesy

BTW - I only get upset because of having been a sucker in the past too many times !
It is the nature of the game.

Experience is the best teacher...just don't keep repeating same mistake Wink

experience is a teacher but not the best one

regards
sometimes, the whitepaper and their pages pull wools over investors' eyes (wannabes actually) and they fall for the wrong ones.

As you said, experience is the best teacher but the lessons are often expensive.
Poink

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:00:28 PM

sometimes, the whitepaper and their pages pull wools over investors' eyes (wannabes actually) and they fall for the wrong ones.

As you said, experience is the best teacher but the lessons are often expensive.
Consider it as "tuition fee" Cheesy

I paid mine and taking required  "continuing education" classes it seems. LOL
btcjoin14

Activity: 891
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:13:23 PM

I would consider it as a nice way to lose a bunch of Bitcoins. Why should I invest in that when I can make the same amount of money with Bitcoin?
Poink

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:16:41 PM

I would consider it as a nice way to lose a bunch of Bitcoins. Why should I invest in that when I can make the same amount of money with Bitcoin?

To each his own.  Bitcoin is great but it is not for everyone...especially those who are new and with lower capital.  There are more opportunities in alts.  Sure it is riskier but more fun too! Cheesy
Bay_Harbour_Butcher

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 03:43:43 PM

I think the biggest reason why many people invest their money into the wrong ico project, and ultimately lose their money is because they are tempted by too high a bonus in investing an ico project

dragons_are_secure

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 04:40:31 PM

In my opinion the changes are already rapidly underway -- more institutional investors, VCs starting to look seriously, etc.  In that regard, I'm surprised that Coinlist hasn't come up yet in the discussion:

https://coinlist.co/

It feels to me like this route to screening is where the ICO market is headed.  How many on this list also invested in Filecoin or looked at their pre-ICO?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/10/filecoins-ico-opens-today-for-accredited-investors-after-raising-52m-from-advisers/

My own suspicion is that those that want to maximize their gains are going to be looking very closely at these pre-ICO offerings.
ohmyfunsite

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 04:45:20 PM

I think the biggest reason why many people invest their money into the wrong ico project, and ultimately lose their money is because they are tempted by too high a bonus in investing an ico project
I agree! So true.
ukboss

Activity: 742
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 04:54:23 PM

When any company start ICO and no one can told that which company will be success. So people invest his money and lose his money if ico not success. My thinking is when any new company start his ICO we must check before invest to which is Team member with those company if team leader is active and he is promote her company very well then he can got a best result and must be success his ICO. so we must analysis then invest money if every person do that hope no one can lose his money.
dragons_are_secure

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 04:59:27 PM

I also start to wonder about whether some ICOs -- independent of their whitepapers, team and hype -- are addressing markets that will take many years for them to have an impact, vs other ICOs that have been careful to choose an area of technology/life where their impact can be more immediate.

In that regard, Filecoin strikes me as a good example, they almost immediately have a market, they have little direct competition.  

In reading through Prosume and thinking about their market, at least for an eventual launch in the US, it strikes me that they will run up against a very large number of entrenched interests.  The major power companies are not going to want to give up their market-share.  Consumers are 'educated' to believe that they have to stay with their name brand energy companies.  So, this might limit the initial market. It doesn't say anything about the longer term, but it does mean that anyone investing in an energy distribution company, at least within the US market, would most likely have to be viewing this as a very long term market play.  I do realize that the initial market is EU, and I admit to knowing less about energy distribution and the market forces for the EU system.  Also, noting a very nicely put together web-page, set of white-papers and a powerful team that has been assembled.

Please, don't take this as being negative about Prosume, or its prospects, only trying to help illustrate some of the thinking that I believe is obvious for evaluating an investment (short-term, long-term, difficulty of market, etc).  In that regard, I'm trying to hew to the original post on this thread and how ICOs should/could be evaluated.

Obviously just my opinion -- Smiley --

Ares0211

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 05:05:05 PM

simple math,.. like start ups, most of ico projects fail. So when 8 of 10 are failing but every project have collected money... most of investors loose their money. So: just invest small amounts and spread them over different projects wich you have chosen carefully.
maianh09

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 05:09:48 PM

It is the ignorance of investors that they only see what ico advertises. If there are articles analyzing the fraud ico is quite good for them now I have not found the same topic but they hope in the future it will appear and it will help the less investors ro when investing in ico
ujjwalsethi

Activity: 213

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 05:14:55 PM

Actually it happens with those people who don't know in which ICO to invest as they have just started there investment plans. They don't even get some information about ICOs before investment. Most of the times it happens with the beginners. So according to me one should be aware of the market value of ICOs before investment.

btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 05:23:33 PM

That's why I suggest before try to invest ICO, check out their feedback and trust usually it can be found on forum or other social media.

For example https://www.pundix.com/ we can see this project looks promosing but you just to make it sure by visiting their discussion about this project
Preventation is better than a cure , isn't it ?
sandos

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 05:42:13 PM

I think most people invest in wrong ICOs because they lack information. They can't find any information except information from the devs. And investors have to trust them.

redhondaxrm125

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 09:03:41 PM

Well, that is easy to say for people who have already a lot of knowledge and experiences here in the forum with shitty amd scam ICOs. But the sad truth is that not all of us here are already knowledgable and experienced enough to differentiate or categorize good ICOs from the bad ones.

That being said, shitty and scam ICOs popping out of nowhere will never be stopped because there will always he a lot of newbie investors to scam. The only thing we can do is spread as much knowledge as we can to everyone in the community to prevent these scumbags from fooling a lot of people to fill their own pockets.
Willful_Grok

Activity: 60

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 09:25:26 PM

frankly, the whitepapers may show a good "idea", but without a full business plan and assessment of the competitive space, regardless of the technology used, it's very hard to tell which companies will really succeed.  hence, many bad ICOs.

///***********DaiWare   - A Leader in Artificial Intelligence Predictive Analysis********///
*********************DAIWARE*******************
///____DISRUPTIVE TECHNOLOGY IN DIGITAL HEALTH ANALYTICS____///
Opnsrc

Activity: 1064

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 11:18:10 AM

They lose investing into wrong ICO or scam project because they hurry up to earn. The more info you get about the new ICO Ц the less chances you have to be deceived. Avoid ICO that do not have whitepaper and stay away from fishing sites.
Triload

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 11:32:02 AM

ICO itself is risky investment, you have most chance to lose your money, about 90% projects will die like Vitalik Beterin said. So it is obvious that you can't make the money by ICOs unless you invest in good ones.
rpg

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 12:50:30 PM

If somebody lose money, the others get it. If someone want to get big money a lot of newbie should lose a little. ICO is lottery and more you investigate new projects more chance you have to get your reward.
So who don't try don't win.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: