Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:56:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the NSA know who Satoshi is?  (Read 8685 times)
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:00:50 AM

If the NSA created Bitcoin, why did the CIA need Gavin to brief them on what it was?

Because the NSA does not have the authority to create a currency so there can be no inter-agency knowledge that they did so.

The CIA may suspect or even know the NSA created it, but the NSA would never acknowledge it to them, so they had to find out about it from a different source.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:44:51 AM

made me laugh Cheesy
expander

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:01:49 AM

You do not have the security clearance to know that, or to even ask the question.   
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 10:13:13 AM

Because the NSA does not have the authority
The NSA does not need to be authorized do do anything, they can just do what they please. They are effectively above the law, nobody asks them questions and if someone asks they would not need to answer.

authority to create a currency
One does not need any authorization to create a currency, every kid can do this at home (just see the altcoin forums) and unless you live in North Korea it is perfectly legal to do so, without authorization, without license, without anything.

nlovric

Activity: 336
Merit: 140

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:59:04 AM

what if he always routed through an encrypted tunnel to a vpn?

The goal of encryption is to prevent an eavesdropper from reading messages, not to prevent them from tracking their source and destination.

Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) – and – as far as I know – any other connection-oriented protocol – connections carrying encrypted Application layer payload are – for content-irrespective tracking purposes – no different than ones carrying unencrypted Application layer payload.
SEC agent

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

America, land of the free

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:12:28 PM

What do you think?

I highly doubt they care who he is.

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it." -George Washington
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:11:43 AM

The goal of encryption is to prevent an eavesdropper from reading messages, not to prevent them from tracking their source and destination.

Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) – and – as far as I know – any other connection-oriented protocol – connections carrying encrypted Application layer payload are – for content-irrespective tracking purposes – no different than ones carrying unencrypted Application layer payload.

You've made a point that I've made before. Sending encrypted data is sound a horn, hey look at me. That's why you send your grocery lists in encryption. Sending visible encrypted data that appears as non-encrypted data sails by without notice. The down side is the time for encrypting a 'non-ecrypted' message can be lengthy. Time is an enemy of cryptography. If you can't encrypt it fast enough, it's useless usually. Same with decrypting, if it takes you 10 years to decrypt a message, the original message is useless.

Deterministic OTP's can be very useful. The base (any easily ready material, Bible, PowerBall, etc...) can be used as a base for creating an ∞ amount of OTP's

One Time Pads are proven to be uncrackable. Except the Rubber Hose technique, but even then a OTP could decrypt into many messages depending on how it was encrypted. Rubber Hose decryption = "Nixon did it", and the real decryption = "Obama did it". Tongue

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
tacoman71

Activity: 320

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 02:10:08 AM

Does it matter if the NSA started bitcoin? Even if they did, they really have no more influence than, say, the winklevoss twins on bitcoin. Unless, the NSA starts using their code cracking supercomputers to mine bitcoins and exponentially increase the mining difficulty. After all SHA-256 hashing could be involved in decrypting enemy files or networks which is the unofficial job of the NSA is.

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
randomcloud

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 12:59:52 AM

NSA paper, 1996: "How To Make A Mint: The Cryptography of Anonymous Electronic Cash". One referenced crypto expert is named Tatsuaki Okamoto.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/money/nsamint/nsamint.htm

I can buy it.
thekidcoin

Activity: 308

FlutterCoin Developer

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:51:22 AM

YES.

LOL they can still find you, ask some of the best crackers around who were arrested or convicted and sent to prison, one who lived 4 blocks from me that made news around the world

1MYL967PR52xiNtqSP9WphRvPzKZDjBdxn
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 04:00:29 AM

Reminds me of "NDAKOTA" anagram of "TANKADO" (Digital Fortress / NSA)  Tongue

That was a great book ahaha
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 09:30:34 AM

Does it matter if the NSA started bitcoin? Even if they did, they really have no more influence than, say, the winklevoss twins on bitcoin. Unless, the NSA starts using their code cracking supercomputers to mine bitcoins and exponentially increase the mining difficulty. After all SHA-256 hashing could be involved in decrypting enemy files or networks which is the unofficial job of the NSA is.

The NSA never started bitcoin. This rumor is (...).
Bitcoin is about anonomous people on internet, decentralized currency: NSA is the opposite!

GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:04:15 AM

have to agree with the above.

recent government action (liberty city raid, mt. gox account freezes) would suggest that the government is increasingly becoming aware of bitcoin. this is likely due to the sudden recent uptrend in interest in bitcoin. that confidence in bitcoin is rising, it would be foolish for the government to stand idly and watch the dollar devalue against the bitcoin.

alternatively, (im about to go out on the limb that sometimes you can't come back from), the wealthy elite are becoming increasingly aware of bitcoin for other reasons.
bitcoin creates a unique opportunity for rapid socioeconomic movement through class.

now, lower and middle class participants can hide wealth from government audit in a secure way without extensive legal expertise or large investments

now, low and middle class participants can assemble investment portfolios (again untaxed) with minimal cost of entry and returns that are seemingly impossible in the current market

this obviously will not jive with those that would determine the fiscal direction of the country. given that legislature in this country is mostly driven by the lobbying system, you'll oft find that fiscal policy supports the preservation of old wealth.

so, does any government have a hand in the creation of bitcoin? i doubt it severely. bitcoin seems to be a social revolution that a bunch of math/social engineering guys with a libertarian agenda cooked up.

methinks they (biggest brother) have been aware of it for longer than we suspect however. because i dont think bitcoin was the original idea. it was the final iteration of the idea that we all get to see. that started way before 2009. satoshi is a movement, a social philosophy against fiat.  im pretty sure the government, many different governments, are aware of the identities of the "founding fathers".

these are the reason i love BTC and i fear for its future

and, to put the final layer of paranoid icing on the crazy cake:
the nsa pays very special attention to this board, that it is one of the most public forums of thoughts/knowledge/experience concerning bitcoin. this forum IS the public opinion of bitcoin.

polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

NSA paper, 1996: "How To Make A Mint: The Cryptography of Anonymous Electronic Cash". One referenced crypto expert is named Tatsuaki Okamoto.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/money/nsamint/nsamint.htm

Just admit it's you already!!    Tongue

Seriously though thanks for the link... fascinating.

This is one of the people. I don't think this being is the only one man stuff. Why the being is exposed to public? What is the purpose?
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 08:02:33 AM

None of the referenced crypto experts is Satoshi. Satoshi is certainly very familiar with the "CRYPTO, EUROCRYPT" book series from the Springer-Verlag going all the way back to the 80's.

And yes they do know who he is, so what.
nlovric

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:25:32 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 07:43:48 PM by nlovric

One Time Pads are proven to be uncrackable.

It's not the One-Time Pads (OTPs) themselves which are unbreakable. Instead, certain ciphers cannot be broken if the key is truly random. However, this does not mean that a One-Time Pad (OTP) is truly a one-time pad as a truly-random pad will have a likelihood of being truly-randomly generated again reversely proportional to its' length. What this means is if the length of the pad is 1 binary digit (bit), then the next pad has a 50% chance of being the same; if the length of the pad is 2 binary digits (bits), then the next pad has a 25% chance of being the same; and so on. The name One-Time Pad (OTP) is misleading. From this moment on, I shall call such devices Truly-Random Pads (TRPs) as true randomness is their significance.

However, true randomness does not exist. You see, all particles in existence are at a certain position. From that position, the laws of physics dictate their motion. Therefore, all events in space are preset at this moment. In order to determine and/or alter the future of an isolated system, one would have to reside outside of it. I have observed this in 1997 or 1998 when analyzing something beyond your wildest imagination – it is one of my PANDORA-grade projects; PANDORA designating that it should never be made as it converges towards a collapse of the space-time system we're in, with extinction event being a mild term for the outcome.
TheGovernedSelf

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:17:09 AM

This doesn't mention methods of coin generation or anonymity. They're simply discussing using cryptography to simplify existing payment mechanisms and boost security.

I can't see the government voluntarily giving up such a vast amount of power (the printing press) to the populace.
x^2

Activity: 73

y=x^2 is a parabola

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 01:18:49 AM

If the NSA created Bitcoin, why did the CIA need Gavin to brief them on what it was?

Lol

A parabola (plural parabolas or parabolae, adjective parabolic, from Greek: παραβoλή) is a two-dimensional, mirror-symmetrical curve.  y = x2
nlovric

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:01:42 PM

Most likely "Satoshi Nakamoto" read the paper – kind of like studying National Security Agencies' (NSAs') Security-Enhanced Linux (SE-Linux) – and built upon it.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:48:56 PM

It would raise suspicion if they didn't...

One Time Pads are proven to be uncrackable.

It's not the One-Time Pads (OTPs) themselves which are unbreakable. Instead, certain ciphers cannot be broken if the key is truly random. However, this does not mean that a One-Time Pad (OTP) is truly a one-time pad as a truly-random pad will have a likelihood of being truly-randomly generated again reversely proportional to its' length. What this means is if the length of the pad is 1 binary digit (bit), then the next pad has a 50% chance of being the same; if the length of the pad is 2 binary digits (bits), then the next pad has a 25% chance of being the same; and so on. The name One-Time Pad (OTP) is misleading. From this moment on, I shall call such devices Truly-Random Pads (TRPs) as true randomness is their significance.

However, true randomness does not exist. You see, all particles in existence are at a certain position. From that position, the laws of physics dictate their motion. Therefore, all events in space are preset at this moment. In order to determine and/or alter the future of an isolated system, one would have to reside outside of it. I have observed this in 1997 or 1998 when analyzing something beyond your wildest imagination – it is one of my PANDORA-grade projects; PANDORA designating that it should never be made as it converges towards a collapse of the space-time system we're in, with extinction event being a mild term for the outcome.
Don't forget that one of the things in the box was Hope...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: