Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:10:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Avalon mining with customer hardware? Answer is here.  (Read 44348 times)
gdassori

Activity: 980
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:40:17 AM

Oooh, what a BIG surprise!!!  Wink  Wink  Grin  Grin

then you hoped that one who manufactures machines for "generating money" sells them immediately without using them before?

how cute you are!  Kiss Kiss

kevcoins

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:52:19 AM

The best is give them an unused pool mining account, and they can do testing etc.. but all the coins they mine goes back to you ...
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:44:11 AM

The thing I haven't seen anyone mention (don't care much for Avalon so I haven't read all 11 pages) is the systematic cashout we've seen on Gox over the last so many weeks.  The price went down from $130 to $110 and has been hovering around $100 (all USD) in dramatic sales that have been unmatched by buys.

My guess is that both Avalon and AsicMiner are cashing out (your shares, your Avalon pre-orders, they're 2-10x on your money to make them rich) with no real care for the industry.  They were there first with ASIC's, they have the obvious Asian connection so reduced shipping times, the buddy system, etc., and now before we see a lot delivering from both there are HUGE cashouts. 

Now you can have your product with BTC down 25% in value and the difficulty screaming up.

Not a conspiracy theorist here, I've got a BFL order in since early 2013 and I'd hope alongside their mass production they're test-mining units, but I agree entirely that since all these operations were and are effectively crowd-funded they should return testing profit to the community.  And not just by being assholes and selling it off to "put the BTC back into circulation", aka what people say when they want to cash out for fiat.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1821

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:50:19 AM

except maybe few Jalapenos who will never make their BTC back..  Batch 2 Avalon should at least return me the BTC invested, and some more.. This is fine.  Jalapenos that is a complete lost forever, this is not fine !
If Jalapenos won't make their money back then there is no chance in hell for anyone with a batch #3 Avalon ... Zero.

What does a Jalapeno cost? $300?
Say difficulty was 75million - it would take 83 days to get ~$300

What did an Avalon batch #3 cost? ~80BTC?
Say difficulty was 75million - it would take 178 days to get 80 BTC ...

Then of course there's the fact that the Avalon uses 1.5 times the power per MH/s that a Jalapeno does.

Maybe Batch #2 is OK, but not a chance for anyone in batch #3 while Avalon mines away on the hardware pushing the difficulty up.

People seem to forget the ongoing comments about how BFL keeps missing their deadlines but Avalon met their deadlines ...
So assuming that Avalon being on time wasn't all complete bullshit, then what have they been doing with the hardware they said they could make 8 a day back in January ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
batman, not crabman

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:55:29 AM

These guys are pretty smart, right?  If they were going to mine for profit don't you think they'd do it solo rather than on a pool where everyone can see?  They certainly have the hash power.
Having said that I still agree that testing profits should go to the people that bought the miners.

A horse walks into a bar and the barman says "Give me some Bitcoin!"
17TDYWdeL3GU2fsMSpV7itLYS2UJ91dCDx
titomane

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:05:10 AM

It seems impossible. What would have made any in place? As long as your customer reach ROI.
With the chips will not, because they will not soldering and desoldering. But send delayed until the batch 3.

coinedBit

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:23:26 AM

all those analogies are nice, but they often tend to ignore time-decay because of increasing difficulty and because of increasing ASIC adoption rate.

So if you are really into analogies, it's more like selling a farm of cows or chicken even though you perfectly-well know that they have reached their EOL, because their past output (eggs/milk) is higher than their likely future outputs. Basically, they got their efforts sponsored through crowd-funding, and were consuming subsequent output as a freebie while delaying pre-orders. Now, unlike custom bitcoin ASIC hardware, chickens and cows can actually be sold after their output drops, to become hamburgers and chicken-burgers ... but I have never heard of an ASIC burger yet!  Grin
titomane

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:27:04 AM

all those analogies are nice, but they often tend to ignore time-decay because of increasing difficulty and because of increasing ASIC adoption rate.

So if you are really into analogies, it's more like selling a farm of cows or chicken even though you perfectly-well know that they have reached their EOL, because their past output (eggs/milk) is higher than their likely future outputs. Basically, they got their efforts sponsored through crowd-funding, and were consuming subsequent output as a freebie while delaying pre-orders. Now, unlike custom bitcoin ASIC hardware, chickens and cows can actually be sold after their output drops, to become hamburgers and chicken-burgers ... but I have never heard of an ASIC burger yet!  Grin

jajajajjaja

+19,339,258   Diff today

jimmy3dita

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:34:31 AM

IMHO the real point is: Avalon (or whatever) generates blocks with your hardware "for testing" on the normal network, bumping difficulty up and giving you (once shipped) a device with less value - for the exact amount of BTC already mined by them.

This is even worse if we think that every discovered block lowers the asic value, so timing is critical.

Anyone that's doing tests before shipping must use the testnet, no matter what.

And yes, this "pay months in advance" s**t should end by now.

Acquista il mio libro "Investire Bitcoin": clicca qui
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:42:40 AM

Anyone that's doing tests before shipping must use the testnet, no matter what.

Mining on main net using an address provided by the consumer would be fair too. These coins belong to the person who paid for the machine, since the machine is ready and delivery date is (largely) behind.
In the first place, the consumer who paid in advance took the risk, not the crowd-funded company. He/She is the person to be rewarded for this. Avalon should seek long-term costumer satisfaction so people would order a second machine in the future, rather than immediate profit they steal to the pre-orders customers.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:46:43 AM

You guys are funny,

Dont bother fcking complaining because at the time of ordering your batch2 and batch 3, you accepted no QUESTIONs term.
koob

Activity: 204

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:48:11 AM

You guys are funny,

Dont bother fcking complaining because at the time of ordering your batch2 and batch 3, you accepted no QUESTIONs term.

We also accepted delivery date which is far behind. With on time delivery I would be probably hitting my ROI by now,
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:49:50 AM

You guys are funny,

We also accepted delivery date which is far behind. With on time delivery I would be probably hitting my ROI by now,

Yes, admittedly BitSyncom broke the terms of agreement first; therefore there is every right to complain, it's not as if it's being done as viciously as that directed towards Butterfly Labs.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
silverserpent

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:52:04 AM

this is another sad day in the history book of Bitcoin. What I had wanted to doubt for so long seems to be con-
clusive now. Add they continue to just trickle orders out - only 10 units this month
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AluBwkoeuzdndG5GRk10Qk8wU0FDWU1DLUxCVS1CV2c#gid=0)

Avalon price s/b adjusted to reflect adjusted Diff levels - probably bring it back to 45-50 BTC per Batch 2 unit;
even less for Batch 3ers. After all, they are more than 2-3 months late on Batch 2 (2nd original ship date for
Batch 2 was April 15).

Just issue a rebate/refund to the same address order payment was sent from.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:56:39 AM

You guys are funny,

Yes, admittedly BitSyncom broke the terms of agreement first...

yes and same situation will be with chips. first zefirs batch was ordered 16/4 and they promise to deliver chips in 9-10 weeks. so next week we should expect delivery?.) I don't think so..terrahash, bitmine and other groups ordered one week earlier then zefir. Why they don't have their chips yet...?
koob

Activity: 204

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:56:56 AM

this is another sad day in the history book of Bitcoin. What I had wanted to doubt for so long seems to be con-
clusive now. Add they continue to just trickle orders out - only 10 units this month
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AluBwkoeuzdndG5GRk10Qk8wU0FDWU1DLUxCVS1CV2c#gid=0)

There are not even 60 orders on that spreadsheat out of 600.
bennybong

Activity: 682

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:59:08 AM

I myself am not entirely convinced that Avalon have been mining maybe there is a rouge employee that is switching them to pools when 'no one is looking' (after work hours?).

But Avalon stated in one of their first announcements that they use their own custom software to test the chips.... Like all chip manufacturer would have. You do not need to have it mining on the live network to know of they will work.

We still do not know what their 'security issues' were… how do we know they didn't have a load of chips/machines robbed from them? Damn easy and highly profitable crime to commit, especially in China…

silverserpent

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:59:44 AM

There are not even 60 orders on that spreadsheat out of 600.
people usually only disclose once they receive their order
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:00:44 PM

I myself am not entirely convinced that Avalon have been mining maybe there is a rouge employee that is switching them to pools when 'no one is looking' (after work hours?).

But Avalon stated in one of their first announcements that they use their own custom software to test the chips.... Like all chip manufacturer would have. You do not need to have it mining on the live network to know of they will work.

We still do not know what their 'security issues' were… how do we know they didn't have a load of chips/machines robbed from them? Damn easy and highly profitable crime to commit, especially in China…

Genuinely, with all the best and fairest intentions on my part I don't believe that, sorry.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:02:18 PM

You guys are funny,

Yes, admittedly BitSyncom broke the terms of agreement first...

yes and same situation will be with chips. first zefirs batch was ordered 16/4 and they promise to deliver chips in 9-10 weeks. so next week we should expect delivery?.) I don't think so..terrahash, bitmine and other groups ordered one week earlier then zefir. Why they don't have their chips yet...?

Wasn't aware Terrahash (who I'm pretty confident of), have released any details or proof of any bulk chip order from BitSyncom yet...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: