Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:13:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else get busted by the cops for "suspicious" energy consumption!  (Read 19379 times)
AreYouCereal (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:35:23 PM

The DEA has no jurisdiction inside Canada, which Vancouver is a part of.

Sigh...http://thetyee.ca/News/2004/10/27/WhyUSDrugCopVan/

That's the first result on google bty. An I while I said DEA I'm not sure who the equivalent in Canada is as I'm in Portland WA
Look If I have to spend this thread trying to prove I'm not BS'ing you guys then I'm sorry I bothered to give you some sort of warning that this could happen.

I'm sorry I even bothered as this now seems more like a witch hunt than people thinking this could ever happen to them as well.

If you want to consider this as a possibility and talk about it then do otherwise don't bother as I'm finished defending myself.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lightspeed

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:50:12 PM

Story seems fairly legit; Cops are cunts. End of story.

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
xane

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:44:13 PM

^ lol

Also, I'm about to bring another 2 Gh/s online. If anyone does show up to my door, I will definitely get pics for this thread.  Smiley

Oh and a lawyer to sue them with.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:09:16 PM

Becarefull, in some places it's a crime to take pictures or video of cops on duty...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
qed

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:33:55 PM

Another troll went out of the newbie cage -_- Cops do not tell you "We ran fly over thermal scan which picked up a higher than normal heat signature coming from his utility room"

Mobile App (Android)

Monitor miners, exchange rates and Bitcoin network stats.
JayC

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:29:24 AM

Another troll went out of the newbie cage -_- Cops do not tell you "We ran fly over thermal scan which picked up a higher than normal heat signature coming from his utility room"

No that would just be in the search warrant they're required to give you a copy of (at least here in the US) when they perform the search.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:36:39 AM

That's the first result on google bty. An I while I said DEA I'm not sure who the equivalent in Canada is as I'm in Portland WA
Look If I have to spend this thread trying to prove I'm not BS'ing you guys then I'm sorry I bothered to give you some sort of warning that this could happen.

I'm sorry I even bothered as this now seems more like a witch hunt than people thinking this could ever happen to them as well.

If you want to consider this as a possibility and talk about it then do otherwise don't bother as I'm finished defending myself.

I'm sorry you think it's a witch hunt. The fact is that we've heard this same story before, exact in nearly every detail, and it turned out to be completely unsubstantiated. If you really wanted to warn people that this was really going on, then you could have provided some substantiation, such as a news story from the Vancouver Sun or some other semi-reliable news source.

And if your friend claimed that this happened and did NOT call the press, then you should doubt every word of the story.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
um0rion

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:54:17 AM

Well I dont know about this guy's story actually happening or not, but I certainly believe that police will come knocking if they suspect you to be growing drugs. I talked to my father about bitcoins when I first began a couple months ago and he came right out and said it before I could tell him any stories of it. He was a drug/substance abuse counselor in my hometown, so he was in frequent contact with law enforcement and dealt with individuals who were addicts. He said the same thing, that the police look for trends where there's a sharp increase of electric usage, because that's exactly what it points to: growing drugs. Typically my apartment uses ~350kw/month for me and my roomate. With 2 mining rigs, I used around 770 kw, and this month Ive used 1100kw just up to the 26th. I mean if you were growing drugs, this kind of power usage is exactly what would make police suspicious.

This is my electric report, it certainly LOOKS like something is up, doesnt it? Smiley
Seraphim401

Activity: 215

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 03:14:53 AM

Don't even care if this is true or not,it's funny as hell  Grin.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 06:05:40 AM

Good story. But the DEA doesn't even have jurisdiction in Canada.
Duh. If that happened it would be either the RCMP or the Vancouver City Police that did it.
And that is possible, but not the DEA. Not saying it can't happen though.
Just be smart enough to use the right LEA in the story.

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 06:07:12 AM

This is my electric report, it certainly LOOKS like something is up, doesnt it? Smiley

Yah, it looks like you got an air conditioner is all.

syb3ria

Activity: 55

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 10:52:33 AM

Well, in my contry the most could happen is to receive a greeting card from the electricity supplier, saying to keep up the good work Cheesy Talking about Bulgaria.
killer2021

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 11:27:52 AM

Not that I don't believe you, but can anybody definitively confirm at least one instance of this happening?

I can't verify the claims but I know in CA it is common to have that stuff happen. The reason the cops check the energy usage is because people will convert homes into grow ops for growing weed. They use a hydroponic method and artificial light - its very energy intensive.

Also they will use heat signature because the lamps in the grow op will generate alot of heat. The grow op owner will try to divert this heat outside so when they do a thermal scan they might see alot of heat being pumped out through the chimney. However, grow op owners are getting much more advanced to prevent detection.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 11:51:44 AM

Ya, just like on "Weeds".
Maybe they'll have Shane doing mining in Denmark next season.

Miner SiX

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 06:11:18 PM

So your story is bs, so what? Nice story man...
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 09:19:53 PM

Someone start selling mining licenses  Cheesy

Count me in for selling mining licences if option is there,but how do I start (is my question.Still thinking)

Also i think it's ridiculous for the feds to bust ur door 4 mining lol even tho it's not a pot growing op. I wouldn't b suprised if this happened in UK where I am mining from atm (despite high elec prices I still just about profit sourt of)

Thankfully the part of the UK im mining from,the met police can't bother u at they stick 2 London and large cities there.In some parts of UK,it can be quiet so u won't get hassled too much unless u get busted for hacking though.I don't think they're bothered about mining atm tho as long as ur elec usage is low enough not to be suspicious.At this point I must make myself clear in that, I do not condone illegal activity of any kind however but this is more about advice for people who mine BTC.

My advice in general is,once in a while just shut down ur computers for a brief period.You can fix 2 issues that way;
1.Overheating if there and
2.Brief periods of having switched off the computers will reduce ur elec bill/use a bit so it's all gd (and reduce ur chancs a bit of being hassled over high elec use).

I hope this helps ny of u who r in similar situation :-)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
FreeJAC

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:46:02 AM

RCMP drug enforcement branch is the Canadian version of the DEA. There have been a few reports of the DEA being in Canada conducting business and not on the up and up.

One example. http://www.cfdp.ca/dea.htm

"BC justice calls illegal US Drug Enforcement Administration activities in Canada an "abuse of process"

I went to a DARE presentation (drug awareness for pre-teens) at my daughter's school (Edmonton) where they outright said excess power consumption is one tool the drug enforcement branch uses as a sign for grow ops.

This scenario seems plausible IMO but one would think they need more than just power consumption to raid the house and that doesn't explain the heat signature comment. Sounds like a few assumptions.

Donate here.... 18NiDLDA3qRxkEPN36xrzsdSgvEkbDKgNr
bizzy

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:09:13 AM

This article is a little dated, but very relevant:
http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1209250

When I was in Vancouver in 2010, I read a similar article discussing theft of electricity and it sounded like they were going to have a crackdown... entirely plausible in my opinion, given the location is actually Vancouver...
antares

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:13:37 AM

Well,

I have been busted by german cops for the posession of an unusual amount of CD-Rs(The charge was selling of illegal copies). They destroyed my furniture, contaminated my data, destroyed some of my harddrives, and local court says that's ok, I'll get the material value of my CD-Rs that were destroyed in the process and during examination. While the charge was ofc bogus(I mean, my linux archive alone was more than a thousand discs, I've been using linux since 1998), they then got me for writing illegal code(Yes, in our "free" country of germany, art can be illegal). So I guess that story about being busted for mining could be true. I'd still love to see some real evidence, like a redacted version of the search warrant.
heavyb

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 02:50:47 PM

again. not to sound like a total conspiracy nut, but does anyone else feel uncomfortable will so much police surveillance? sounds a lot like the little brother of 1984 getting ready to become the "big brother". Global elites want to control you. fight the power!

www.infowars.com - read it daily!!!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: