Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:31:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petitition to disable nested quotes  (Read 953 times)
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:07:07 PM

If you agree post here. if you disagree post here to.

What is Nested Quotes?

Thats when you quote someone and it takes all quotes in your post. by ticking a checkbox in the admin control panel, you can disable this, and it will only quote the exact message you are replying to. This is useful because:

prevents conversations to be taken out of context(by making it necessary to read an entire thread to understand the flow of the conversation.

reduces clutter in the thread.

reduces the amount of pages in a thread.

it just plain looks better.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:16:21 PM

I enabled this for a short time in the past, but for some reason I disabled it again. I don't remember why.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:23:44 PM

prevents conversations to be taken out of context(by making it necessary to read an entire thread to understand the flow of the conversation.
how exactly does removing nested quotes add more context? if anything, it reduces context and forces users to guess what each other is talking about.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:36:04 PM

how exactly does removing nested quotes add more context? if anything, it reduces context and forces users to guess what each other is talking about.

it forces them to read the thread, instead of just the quoted block of text

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:37:33 PM

I enabled this for a short time in the past, but for some reason I disabled it again. I don't remember why.

eh, i'm not trying to bust your balls either. it just annoys me. this thread should help me gauge how much interest there would be in disabling them. I may be in the minority on this one, and i'm fine with that.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:39:30 PM

I think it adds more confusion to have them disabled.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 08:40:27 PM

I dunno, I usually trim em out. Guess I'm used to it, I do see a lot of people mess it up though.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:41:25 PM

I think it adds more confusion to have them disabled.
fair enough.

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:51:47 PM

But many times there are multiple sub-threads going on at once. It is nice to have all the relevant quotes right in one place so everybody can keep track of who said what.

Also, it is easy enough to quote and delete out the layers of quotes you don't want. Takes like 3 seconds when you make your posts.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:54:19 PM

But many times there are multiple sub-threads going on at once. It is nice to have all the relevant quotes right in one place so everybody can keep track of who said what.

Also, it is easy enough to quote and delete out the layers of quotes you don't want. Takes like 3 seconds when you make your posts.

(or should I say +1?)

errr, I agree with Tysat, BadBear and Peter, having nested quotes is good.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:55:26 PM

Eh, you make a good point. maybe i didn't think this through enough.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:45:19 AM

Exactly. I do it all the time when the nested quotes aren't needed for context.

bspurloc

Activity: 569

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:24:20 PM

Exactly. I do it all the time when the nested quotes ( Shocked quoted bombed!) aren't needed for context.

Exactly what I do too...
Next will be to stop editing of the quote.
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:44:51 AM

i dont know if its possible, but it would be nice if you could highlight the desired text and when you click quote have that section already trimmed and ready to post.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:48:13 AM

i dont know if its possible, but it would be nice if you could highlight the desired text and when you click quote have that section already trimmed and ready to post.
Good idea! That would save a lot of time when quoting a wall of text or a 'quote hell'

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
r3wt (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:48:51 AM

Good idea! That would save a lot of time when quoting a wall of text or a 'quote hell'
yes indeed!

gourmet

Activity: 311

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:38:48 PM

+1
Doing it regularly when quoting longer posts / nested quotes.

Nested quotes are necessary, disabling them would remove context and waste people's time.

+1
Leaving unnecessary parts of the quotes wastes it either. But it's on each poster to remove them and leave the relevant ones in.
gourmet

Activity: 311

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:50:55 PM

This could often lose the context I'm afraid. I believe that carefully removing parts of the quote by hand woud have more optimal Smiley results.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

This could often lose the context I'm afraid. I believe that carefully removing parts of the quote by hand woud have more optimal Smiley results.
It's just a different way to quote, this doesn't make people stop quoting the whole context if it is necessary

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: