Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:26:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenCL only seeing one GPU whilst using Multi-Desktop  (Read 4698 times)
drawoc

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:02:38 AM

If you revert back to the 1st config you had in your 1st post (The one you said is cloned mode), and simply move one of the monitors to the second card, what happens?

That should be what you're looking for, if you're okay with having the monitors on separate cards.

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
leshow (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:28:20 AM

I've tested with all different configurations. I'm completely OK with it being on the second card.

When I have that config and put the plug in the second slot I get one screen with open box in it, and the other screen has X in it but not openbox. When I drag my cursor over there I just get an 'X' over the cursor (like X has loaded but there is no WM session running in it)

If you know how to launch openbox on that display I think that would fix it.
drawoc

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:33:14 AM

Try:
Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.1
openbox

leshow (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:42:49 AM

ok, will try that just have to copy over a few files before I can restart with the old xorg.

man if this works i'll be sending some BTC your way for sure!
leshow (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:54:51 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2011, 03:10:27 AM by leshow

the behaviour is a bit weird.... I can't drag windows between the two displays, but if i export DISPLAY=:0.1 then launch an app from the terminal (while openbox from the command you gave me is still running) it launches the app WITH the right window decorators on the black screen.
EDIT:
OK. the black screen was just no wallpaper, I can right click and the openbox menu comes up (in the black screen display), but it launches apps to the FIRST monitor. also none of the stuff that is in the first session seems to be loading (panel on bottom, wallpaper, taskbar stuff). it's just behaving very strangely

both miners show up, but the other screen isn't really usable in this state. unless I'm leading openbox improperly and can get my monitor to drag windows between the two displays
drawoc

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:08:05 AM

You could try changing openbox to openbox-session, but I have a feeling it won't help much.

leshow (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:11:52 AM

wow that worked great. openbox-session launches all the stuff I need with openbox, only thing is i cant drag between displays
leshow (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:13:18 AM

it's weird because the mouse can cross over but I can't bring any windows
leshow (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:19:00 AM

i have a feeling this is about as good as it's gonna get though. thanks sooooo much for your help man you saved me weeks of tinkering with this thing. Is that donate address current?
drawoc

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:38:51 AM

i have a feeling this is about as good as it's gonna get though. thanks sooooo much for your help man you saved me weeks of tinkering with this thing. Is that donate address current?
Yeah, that address is correct.

I was gonna suggest going back to the other xorg.conf (with both monitors on one card), and adding this line to the device section for aticonfig-Device[0]-0 :
Option "DesktopSetup"  "horizontal"

Anyway, if you don't want to tinker with it anymore, that's understood.

Good luck mining!

leshow (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 03:44:04 AM

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. if you get a brain wave later on and think you've got another solution, i'm always ready to try something. just figured you'd had enough by now  Tongue
carborundum

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:36:12 PM

Anyone resolve this ancient problem? One of my cards disappears from OpenCL when Xinerama is activated.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 11:50:14 PM

Anyone resolve this ancient problem? One of my cards disappears from OpenCL when Xinerama is activated.
AMD OpenCL stupidly sees each "screen" as a device. That means that if you have 2 monitors connected to one GPU, you get two opencl devices. Presumably the converse is also true, seeing one device with 2 GPUs making one virtual "screen" with xinerama. I'm guessing if you force an extra output on the 2nd card, either by config or by adding a monitor/dummy plug to another output on it, you'll get two opencl "devices". Don't ask me who the moron in AMD was that thought opencl compute devices should be associated with screens and not physical devices.  Roll Eyes

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 11:54:07 PM

AMD OpenCL stupidly sees each "screen" as a device. That means that if you have 2 monitors connected to one GPU, you get two opencl devices. Presumably the converse is also true, seeing one device with 2 GPUs making one virtual "screen" with xinerama. I'm guessing if you force an extra output on the 2nd card, either by config or by adding a monitor/dummy plug to another output on it, you'll get two opencl "devices". Don't ask me who the moron in AMD was that thought opencl compute devices should be associated with screens and not physical devices.  Roll Eyes
I'm not using dummy plugs, but opencl still recognizes 2 devices.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 12:08:04 AM

But are you using 2 GPUs on xinerama with one virtual screen only?

-ck
carborundum

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 12:21:43 AM

Nope, its not the screens, they're recognised fine. It's something to do with xinerama. With xinerama "off" in the xorg.conf then clinfo reports all devices. If xinerama is on then only one device is registered. aticonfig --lsa shows all devices under all conditions. I'm begining to suspect its a driver problem??
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 12:32:32 AM

Nope, its not the screens, they're recognised fine. It's something to do with xinerama. With xinerama "off" in the xorg.conf then clinfo reports all devices. If xinerama is on then only one device is registered. aticonfig --lsa shows all devices under all conditions. I'm begining to suspect its a driver problem??
Did you read my advice? Ignore the poster in between us.

-ck
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: