Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:46:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware...  (Read 62545 times)
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:25:38 AM

I just got through spending most of the day messing with the jalapeno.

I made a custom peltier assembly and a temperature controller that regulated the temperature to around 65-68 F. I didn't want to go colder due to risk of condensation.

I also modified the firmware to make the same changes as ckolivas did in his, except you can just comment out in std_defs.h...
Code:
#define __RUN_HEAVY_DIAGNOSTICS_ON_EACH_ENGINE
...and it should have the same effect. I also reduced
Code:
#define __TOTAL_DIAGNOSTICS_RUN 10
...down to just 1. After these changes, I was able to get 30 engines running from 28 previously.

I also increased the voltage from 1.016v to 1.047v by changing the resistor at R11 to 7.5kohm. This resulted in the chips automatically clocking to a higher frequency. At frequency index 7, I was previously attaining 291MHz/271MHz on the chips. After the voltage increase, it was clocking at 305MHz/291MHz.

After these changes, my hash rate went up from ~8.2 to 8.3 GH/s at frequency index 7, to ~8.85 GH/s. I was able to achieve ~9.05 GH/s with index 8 (~4.5% errors), and ~9.23 GH/s with index 9 (~7.5% errors).

Unfortunately, the peltier assembly didn't seem to have much effect on the error rate. I put the old heatsink on and it handled the heat just fine. The only thing the peltier was good for was getting a high initial frequency setting. With the peltier drawing ~90w, it wasn't really worth it to continue using.

Right now I'm running frequency index 8 @ 8.93 GH/s (~2.6% errors). It is possible for me to go higher at that index, but that was when I was using the peltier. I stuck the unit in the freezer, but I guess I didn't get lucky.

Some pictures of the peltier assembly...

And who said running ASICs is gonna be boring?
One of the best threads on Bitcointalk these days.

bronan

Activity: 774

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:55:24 PM

Well the crap jala i received from those bfl people is prolly not even worth trying to pump up

Which placed the very bad experience with BFL to an absolute -251 kelvin in my view

When it came out of the box it ran for a few minutes at 6000 Mh then all of a sudden it kept going down steadily
While the hashrate is going down the error rate keeps creeping up the scale

At the moment i get between 3900 to 4700 Mh, mostly around 4300

So even on stock this thing produces enough amounts of errors

While the temp according the readout not exceed 31 c, which looks to me cool enough to get decent results

Nevertheless to buy a programmer and spend lots of money just to try up one bad jala a bit might even spoil the short life this thing probably have even more
Which look to me the same choice as doing business with BFL.

tom99

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:12:47 PM

Well the crap jala i received from those bfl people is prolly not even worth trying to pump up

Which placed the very bad experience with BFL to an absolute -251 kelvin in my view

When it came out of the box it ran for a few minutes at 6000 Mh then all of a sudden it kept going down steadily

While the temp according the readout not exceed 31 c, which looks to me cool enough to get decent results

Nevertheless to buy a programmer and spend lots of money just to try up one bad jala a bit might even spoil the short life this thing probably have even more

remember you ordered for 4.5Gh/s for older order and new order after April 1st is 5.0Gh/s.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:17:45 PM

If you have a warranty issue, this is not the thread for it, contact BFL support, or post a question on their forums.
bronan

Activity: 774

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:25:19 PM

I just state that i fear if i try this with the allready bad performing device, it will make things worse instead it gives better hashes

Also tom99 you assumed incorrect my order was a sc single which would do 30Gh not a jalapeno and i paid enough to get 10 jalapeno's
Second its no use to contact them they simply refuse to listen nor answer and the costs for sending it back will up the losses even more

tom99

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:34:10 PM

I just state that i fear if i try this with the allready bad performing device, it will make things worse instead it gives better hashes

Also tom99 you assumed incorrect my order was a sc single which would do 30Gh not a jalapeno and i paid enough to get 10 jalapeno's
Second its no use to contact them they simply refuse to listen nor answer and the costs for sending it back will up the losses even more

sorry that I was thinking you got Jal and you might got bad LSC or damage by shipping.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1815

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:08:11 AM

So ... either you got a Jalapeno or you got a Little Single.

Which one?

If you ordered a Little Single and they gave you a Jalapeno instead then obviously you need to sort that out with them.

The Jalapeno doesn't earn much any more (5.0GH/s is less than 0.12BTC a day) so sending it back to be fixed shouldn't be an issue.

If they gave you a Jalapeno and they are still going to send you a Little Single and you are complaining about delivery times ... well go complain about that somewhere else.
There are plenty of places to complain about delivery times and this isn't one of them.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:07:36 AM

Nice thread. where's the Like button? Tongue

After I ROI from my jallies, I will be flashing them. Anyone selling their dragons? Cheesy
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:13:36 AM

Interesting overclocking results and great thread.

My two recently received Jalapenos are quite different beasts, with one performing much better than the other.

Both upgraded to 5+2Gh/s, 37 celsius operation.  Unmodified firmware straight from BFL.

7.6Gh/s, A: 120,291,  HW: 1701
7.1Gh/s, A: 112,529,  HW: 8528

Mining is occurring at difficulty 4 but I understand the hardware error check is run at difficulty 1, so the error rate isn't as terrible as it looks.

Overclocking usually comes with the risk of ruining the product in the long term due to effects such as electromigration, but with my Jalapenos I'm a little concerned the higher error rate from the second unit suggests it's already running at the upper boundary of overclocking.  Thoughts?
ElitePork
Donator

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:35:57 AM

Looks like your 7.6GH/s is having 1.414% HW error and the other is having 7.578% HW error.
The second chilly is having a high HW error rate. Have you tried restarting it or upgrading the miner software? I am currently running on cgminer 3.3.1 with 0 HW errors.

IMHO, flashing the firmware to the latest is not really overclocking the chillies but I do agree some of the mods here are overclocking it. But that explains why flashing the firmware voids the warranty Tongue
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 06:39:19 AM

What are your voltages?

Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:55:22 AM

Looks like your 7.6GH/s is having 1.414% HW error and the other is having 7.578% HW error.
The second chilly is having a high HW error rate. Have you tried restarting it or upgrading the miner software? I am currently running on cgminer 3.3.1 with 0 HW errors.

I'm using bfgminer 3.1.1.  I tried to use cgminer but it didn't work.  Just crashed on start up (basic Asus laptop, Win8).  I have restarted both units several times and apart from a 5% or so speed difference at start up, one unit always reports far more errors than the other.

I have noticed hardware errors are almost zero when bfgminer starts with difficulty 1, and only when it switches to 4 do the vast bulk of errors appear.  I'm mining on Slush's pool.

It doesn't look like bfgminer reports voltages.  Here are the other stats from the main screen.

ST: 2  NB:603  E:43.53  GF:2  AS:0  U:51.4/m  BS:2.39M
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:59:56 AM

I'm using bfgminer 3.1.1.  I tried to use cgminer but it didn't work.  Just crashed on start up (basic Asus laptop, Win8).  I have restarted both units several times and apart from a 5% or so speed difference at start up, one unit always reports far more errors than the other.

I have noticed hardware errors are almost zero when bfgminer starts with difficulty 1, and only when it switches to 4 do the vast bulk of errors appear.  I'm mining on Slush's pool.

It doesn't look like bfgminer reports voltages.  Here are the other stats from the main screen.

ST: 2  NB:603  E:43.53  GF:2  AS:0  U:51.4/m  BS:2.39M
Does cgminer crash without the Jally plugged in? If so it's probably trying to use the laptop GPU and failing. Tell it not to.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 07:03:41 AM

Or you didn't switch usb drivers

Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:26:37 AM

cgminer-nogpu still crashes at start up after reporting it cannot init the USB devices.  I tried downloading the newer USB drivers from BFL's Driver page and installing them, but the installer reported I already have the updated drivers on my laptop.

Edit: I haven't switched to WinUSB so will try that and see how it goes.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 07:31:56 AM

Yes you must use zadig

ElitePork
Donator

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:41:00 AM

On Windows OS (Win7 Ulti & WinXP, WinXP is a old noisy desktop but I used that to mine when i'm out for work. Win7 Ulti is my laptop and I used it to mine when i'm at home), I can't get bfgminer or cgminer working and both crashes on start up. I have had to use EasyMiner from BFL to get those jallies to start mining.

After reading that RaspPi can work on these jallies, I went to get one and spent 2 days to get it working. And the time spent is much worth it. I will suggest to get RaspPi for these 24/7 mining as it's much quieter and more configurable.

Back to the HW errors, my guess is the engines are giving the HW error. Based on the same configuration that the 2 jallies have, only possibility I can think of is the chip grading...
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:53:59 AM

Yes you must use zadig

Got it.  Cgminer working.  Will take a little while for the hash rate to settle down and see how many errors I get with cgminer vs bfgminer.  cgminer is reporting some HW nonce errors, with unit 1 having approx 3x more errors than unit 0.

Unit 0 (few errors) is running about 3.45 to 3.55v,  Unit 1 (many more errors) always has a higher voltage by about 0.05v to 0.1v.

Just noticed in my Slush pool stats that my Jalapenos have found a block.  Not bad after only a week.  Pity I have to share it with the rest of the pool  Cool
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 01:45:58 AM

Yes you must use zadig

thanks for the tip. Will try that when my 2 x jallies arrive next week

Belkaar

Activity: 177

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 09:40:24 PM

Thanks for this. Upgraded my 5.5 Jalapeno to 8.1 GH/s .
Happy camper here.

I used a JTAGICE MKii with avrstudio 6 and the hex file released on the forums.

You can get an extra 0.2 GH/s out of it if you cool it below zero before plugging it in, so it will choose a higher frequency.

bitcoinCodes.com: Get XBox live, PSN and WoW game time codes fast and anonymously
Android RPC client: Bitcoiner
Bitmessage: BM-GtcxVju35PGuD6es9vrF1SXtCVxScbjB
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: