Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:56:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware...  (Read 62545 times)
BTC-engineer

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 11:02:16 AM

I couldn't wait any longer and had to take the risk :-)

Just reflashed one of my singles with my first modified firmware.
Now I'm busy...
Kudos!! Please start a new thread with your results.

Thanks. I will do.

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            ▄███████████████   █████▄   
         ▄██████████████████   ██████   
       █████████████████████  ███████   
     ██████████████████████   ████████ 
   ▄████████▀                █████████ 
  ██████    ▄██████         ██████████ 
 ███▀    ▄██████████      ███████████   
██       ████████████    ████████████   
          █████████████   ██████████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

VALVE      UBISOFT     GAMING ECOSYSTEM      Origin      GAMELOFT 
                   WEBSITE WHITEPAPER MEDIUM TWITTER FACEBOOK TELEGRAM █       

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 11:57:33 AM

Anyone know how to flash a little single?
What's your single temperature? My ls is 65

juhakall

Activity: 657

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 12:22:45 PM

I finally flashed my Jalapeno, and it's now running at 8.5 GH/s (was 5.7). However, if I try to turn the fan around, so that it's blowing air to the heatsink instead of sucking from it, the hashing speed starts to drop, and settles at around 7.7 GH/s.

With the original fan orientation, it's running at 8.5 GH/s, 62C and 3.85V. If I turn the fan around, those numbers drop to 7.7 GH/s, 50C and 3.55V. Haven't tried closing the casing after doing the OC.

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
mrrad

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:10:54 PM

Well done for flashing the Jalapeno I got to do mine yet , but that is really weird about the orientation of the fan affecting the hash speed. I can't see how it would make a difference.....! You know what it must be , turning the fan the other way must add resistance to the fan which alters the voltage ! I wonder what speed you'd get if u briefly unplug the fan....
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:53:35 AM

I finally flashed my Jalapeno, and it's now running at 8.5 GH/s (was 5.7). However, if I try to turn the fan around, so that it's blowing air to the heatsink instead of sucking from it, the hashing speed starts to drop, and settles at around 7.7 GH/s.

With the original fan orientation, it's running at 8.5 GH/s, 62C and 3.85V. If I turn the fan around, those numbers drop to 7.7 GH/s, 50C and 3.55V. Haven't tried closing the casing after doing the OC.
Did you turn the jallies off when u flip the fans? When you turn off the jally, it will test the engines again on both chips. At some times, you will have more engines running. I normally use CGMiner --api-listen and do a "java API stats" to look at how many engines are running... In theory, you will need 15 engines to be running on both chips at at least 280mhz to achieve 8.5GHz....
juhakall

Activity: 657

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 10:59:24 AM

Did you turn the jallies off when u flip the fans? When you turn off the jally, it will test the engines again on both chips. At some times, you will have more engines running. I normally use CGMiner --api-listen and do a "java API stats" to look at how many engines are running... In theory, you will need 15 engines to be running on both chips at at least 280mhz to achieve 8.5GHz....

If I change the fan orientation while powered down, it will never get to 8.5 GH/s after powered. If I change the orientation while it's already hashing at 8.5 GH/s, it will soon start to slow down towards 7.7 GH/s (while temps and voltages drop too). I didn't notice any changes in the engine counts / clocks reported by the API, but should check that again... Currently the stats are: PROCESSOR 3: 15 engines @ 287 MHz PROCESSOR 7: 15 engines @ 281 MHz THEORETICAL MAX: 8520 MH/s ENGINES: 30 FREQUENCY: 274 MHz

(Yes, I have customized that output with preg_replace to cut the crap. BTW, what's FREQUENCY?)

I'm getting around 80C readings from the VRM area with a handheld IR meter. Any idea if that's good or bad?

I'm currently developing an experimental social AI platform
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:18:29 PM

If I change the fan orientation while powered down, it will never get to 8.5 GH/s after powered. If I change the orientation while it's already hashing at 8.5 GH/s, it will soon start to slow down towards 7.7 GH/s (while temps and voltages drop too). I didn't notice any changes in the engine counts / clocks reported by the API, but should check that again... Currently the stats are: PROCESSOR 3: 15 engines @ 287 MHz PROCESSOR 7: 15 engines @ 281 MHz THEORETICAL MAX: 8520 MH/s ENGINES: 30 FREQUENCY: 274 MHz

(Yes, I have customized that output with preg_replace to cut the crap. BTW, what's FREQUENCY?)

I'm getting around 80C readings from the VRM area with a handheld IR meter. Any idea if that's good or bad?

The frequency is based on what you have set for your __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX in the std_def.h. So basically you have set the index to 7 i assume?

The stats report does not re-test the chips again. It is based on a memory in the jally that is written during the initial boot test. When the jally is booted up, it will run some tests to determine the frequency of the engines. Once the jally found the best frequency, it will write to a memory and "java API stats" merely just retrieve this info from the memory

Not sure about the temperature but my jallies never go above 50°C. I'm always trying to make the jallies cooler (next project is to find a heat sink for my jallies and do some customization to it) and the right rule of thumb is, the cooler the better.

You got a pair of good chips (i hardly can get 29 engines running on either jally...) *jealous* lol
Donkey

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 07:58:57 PM

Don't want to remove your heatsink, use masking tape, and all that other stuff?  You don't have to, and you can get this done much faster, minimizing disassembly, and minimizing downtime.  Just use female to female wire jumper cables.

There is no need to remove the heatsink, or use clips, or use a jtag cable.  If you do not want to remove the heatsink and potentially damage the thermal pad, you can use individual wire jumper cables*, for example, the female-to-female ones in this kit - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQA5BWU/ .

Look at the Jalapeno and the Dragon and identify pin 1 on each. All you have to do is connect a jumper from the Jaly JTAG to the corresponding Dragon JTAG, and repeat. Starting at the back pins of the jalapeno, connect Jaly pin 2 to Dragon pin 2, jaly pin 4 to dragon pin 4, and so on until all five rear pins are connected.  Then do the same for pins 1,3,5,7, and 9 which are in the front. If you start from the rear pins of the jaly jtag there is enough clearance to attach all pins without removing anything.  Visually double check everything, using the cable colors to make sure all the pins match. This solves the space issue you get trying to use jtag plugs, avoiding the need to bend jtag pins or disassemble much.

From there, proceed to flash using the original instructions. Take your own chances, but this worked for me.

*Another option which is slightly faster but a little riskier since you can't visually verify the cable connections as easily is to use a jtag cable that has a jtag plug on one end (connected to dragon) and female wire jumpers on the other end (connected to jaly).
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:59:52 PM

Confirmed it is possible to reflash a jalapeno using just a Raspberry Pi and some wire. Saves needing to get an AVR Dragon or other JTAG dongle, but does require some mucking around.
I'll publish details on how to do it later, I've just pulled an all-nighter trying to get things to work properly :-P

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
jimmy3dita

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:30:11 PM

Confirmed it is possible to reflash a jalapeno using just a Raspberry Pi and some wire. Saves needing to get an AVR Dragon or other JTAG dongle, but does require some mucking around.
I'll publish details on how to do it later, I've just pulled an all-nighter trying to get things to work properly :-P

Shocked great!!

Acquista il mio libro "Investire Bitcoin": clicca qui
Red_Wolf_2

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:43:06 AM

And here it is!

I used Atmel Studio to compile the firmware, but all flashing was done with the Raspberry Pi.
BOM:
One Raspberry Pi (with SD card and support devices, keyboard, mouse, etc)
One GPIO header ribbon cable
Six hookup wires
One JTAG 5 by 2 (10 pin) ribbon cable
One (or more) Bitforce SC devices

I used Luke-Jr's instructions at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=262558.0 and modified to suit the Raspberry Pi environment and using the GPIO pins.

Full details:
http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/reflashing-a-butterfly-labs-jalapeno-with-only-a-raspberry-pi/

yonvanom

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:09:24 PM

And here it is!

I used Atmel Studio to compile the firmware, but all flashing was done with the Raspberry Pi.
BOM:
Six hookup wires

I used Luke-Jr's instructions at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=262558.0 and modified to suit the Raspberry Pi environment and using the GPIO pins.

Full details:
http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/reflashing-a-butterfly-labs-jalapeno-with-only-a-raspberry-pi/

Awesome! I didn't know you could use the gpio on the pi with urjtag! (I bought an ft2232h breakout board to use as a programmer)
You should post this over in Luke-Jr's thread too.
macromode

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 04:51:41 PM

And here it is!

BOM:
Six hookup wires

Full details:

Great job, Red_Wolf_2! Your add-on continues to make this thread one of the most interesting reads on this forum.
Red_Wolf_2

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 05:44:49 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2013, 06:43:39 PM by Red_Wolf_2

And here it is!

BOM:
Six hookup wires

Full details:

Great job, Red_Wolf_2! Your add-on continues to make this thread one of the most interesting reads on this forum.

Thanks! :-)
There is also no reason this shouldn't work on other 3.3v JTAG supporting devices, so long as UrJTAG can recognise the chips involved... I'd guess this would work on other ASIC devices (non BFL) too, so long as they have JTAG ports and header components on their boards.

EDIT:
Actually, I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work on other embedded ARM based linux boards with exposed GPIO pins, such as the BeagleBone or similar. Anyone care to try it out? The instructions should be virtually the same, but you will need to map the GPIO pins to suit your device.

colorprint

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 09:05:23 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 10:08:07 PM by colorprint

Oh god... experiencing problem after flash:

[2013-07-04 12:31:24] Started cgminer 3.3.1
[2013-07-04 12:31:27] BitForceSC detect (2:3) 2nd init failed (0:-7) - retrying

[2013-07-04 12:31:28] BitForceSC detect (2:3) init failed 3 times 3.31s
[2013-07-04 12:31:28] BitForceSC detect (2:3) error identify reply (0:-7)
[2013-07-04 12:31:28] Disabling extra threads due to dynamic mode.

:[

The red light is flashing on/off 2-3 times a second. When I hook up JTAG (AVR DRAGON) it flashed quietly like normal and I can still re-program it.

I flashed with the untouched firmware 1.2.5. Anyone know whats wrong? :/

EDIT: Alright, after very quick trial and error, this has to do with the "#define __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX   7".

Apparently 7 doesn't work on mine. I got 5 working fine, will try and adjust with 6-8-9 Wink

I have the same problem with my Jalapeno.
I have flashed it with default __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX=7
and got this problem.
Reflashed with __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX 5   - same problem again...
with __ASIC_FREQUENCY_ACTUAL_INDEX 1 - same problem.
Also after upgrade there is only one big LED4 blinking and LED1 (power), but before upgrade there 2 LEDs on the other side of board was on too...

How can I get it fixed?

Thanks
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 10:01:33 PM

its good that uve read the dependencys for the newer firmwares Tongue
for firmware 1.2.5++ you need cmigner 3.3.2. not 3.3.1

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
colorprint

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 10:06:32 PM

yes, I have 3.3.2 cgminer installed...
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 10:10:16 PM

tell us more what kind jtag did you use and what kind firmware file you use  .hex or bin?
colorprint

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 10:37:08 PM

tell us more what kind jtag did you use and what kind firmware file you use  .hex or bin?

upgraded cgminer to 3.4.0 - no any changes.
I have used AVR Dragon, compiled the firmware with Atmel Studio
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:02:18 PM

upgraded cgminer to 3.4.0 - no any changes.
I have used AVR Dragon, compiled the firmware with Atmel Studio

you make sure program right mcu for your Jal.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: