Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:11:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware...  (Read 62540 times)
danattacker (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:17:03 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 05:07:35 AM by danattacker

I received my Jalapeno with the 2 GH/s upgrade two days ago. There might be a flaky engine in the chips because sometimes it will hash at 7.65 GH/s when I restart the miner, but mostly it runs at 7.4 GH/s. The difference is 250 MH/s, so it makes sense if one engine didn't initialize properly if the chips ran at 250 MHz.

With the recent release of the source code for the firmware, I decided to take a look at it and I installed Atmel Studio. The project loaded up and compiled fine.

I attempted to then access the firmware via JTAG. I didn't have the proper JTAG programmer, all I had was a old Xilinx DLC5 based parallel port cable that I made. I found an open source JTAG programming software (UrJTAG) and the microcontroller (AT32UC3A1256) was detected fine. The problem was that the microcontroller wasn't supported by the software, so I used a somewhat similar part and checked some of the instructions and they looked the same. But, I didn't check everything. I tried to read back the contents of the flash but what I got back was nothing (just a bunch of FFs). But, after that operation, it effectively bricked my jalapeno. It does not boot up anymore.

So, I ordered a proper programmer (AVR Dragon) that will work with AVR studio and the microcontroller. I'll let you guys know in about 2 days whether or not I get my jalapeno working again. And if it does work again, I can start tinkering with the firmware.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:51:35 AM

watching

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:54:37 AM

watching
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:59:29 AM

Extra spicy?

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 02:36:15 AM

Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 02:53:17 AM

I received my Jalapeno with the 2 GH/s upgrade two days ago. There might be a flaky engine in the chips because sometimes it will hash at 7.65 GH/s when I restart the miner, but mostly it runs at 7.4 GH/s. The difference is 250 MH/s, so it makes sense if one engine didn't initialize properly if the chips ran at 250 MHz.
Current firmware theoretically tests the hardware error count and clocks accordingly when you're starting it up, so theoretically you should let it cool down before firing it up again for it to choose the higher rate Wink

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
danattacker (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:56:45 AM

Current firmware theoretically tests the hardware error count and clocks accordingly when you're starting it up, so theoretically you should let it cool down before firing it up again for it to choose the higher rate Wink

I have noticed that there was a better chance of running at 7.65 GH/s when I let the unit cool.
peterepeat

Activity: 237

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:19:45 AM

Im going to put mine in the fridge for a while before turning it back on.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:23:57 AM

Was the copy protect bit set?  Could you download the firmware to save it?  (I assume AVRs have that just like PICs)

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
danattacker (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:51:49 AM

Was the copy protect bit set?  Could you download the firmware to save it?  (I assume AVRs have that just like PICs)

I have no idea since I wasn't using the correct software.

I thought that since __DO_NOT_TUNE_CHIPS_FREQUENCY is set to 1 in std_defs.h, it wasn't going to tune the chips and use a static frequency setting. Unless the source code doesn't necessarily reflect what is being shipping right now. I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at the code so I could have missed something.
one4many

Activity: 516

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:52:06 AM

Can you actually change between 5 GH/s and 7 GH/s on an upgraded unit?
Or will it always run on 7 GH/s.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 04:07:31 AM

I have no idea since I wasn't using the correct software.

I thought that since __DO_NOT_TUNE_CHIPS_FREQUENCY is set to 1 in std_defs.h, it wasn't going to tune the chips and use a static frequency setting. Unless the source code doesn't necessarily reflect what is being shipping right now. I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at the code so I could have missed something.
The firmware specifically distributed appears to be for the single - if you look at what defines are enabled - not the Jalapeno or 5GH or 7GH or whatever it's being called now, so I'm guessing that if you have one that changes clocks, you have firmware that differs from what was distributed. Nasser confirmed that it would clock according to error rate, so I'm assuming that's what's causing your different speeds. Stick it in the fridge.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:29:45 AM

Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.

I haven't done this... but when you click watch, the thread goes on your "watchlist" right? Most people (myself include) probably check the "new replies to your posts" all the time, but not the watchlist.

Anywho... one post closer to 500.  Roll Eyes
danattacker (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:41:12 AM

The firmware specifically distributed appears to be for the single - if you look at what defines are enabled - not the Jalapeno or 5GH or 7GH or whatever it's being called now, so I'm guessing that if you have one that changes clocks, you have firmware that differs from what was distributed. Nasser confirmed that it would clock according to error rate, so I'm assuming that's what's causing your different speeds. Stick it in the fridge.

Yeah, there are definitely some discrepancies in that file. It says __PRODUCT_MODEL_LITTLE_SINGLE__ but further down it says UNIT_FIRMWARE_TYPE is ">>>>JALAPENO>>>>". But, your probably right about the clocks.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:57:13 AM

With the recent release of the source code for the firmware, I decided to take a look at it and I installed AVR studio. The project loaded up and compiled fine.

is there any particular version of avr studio I need? Im definably going to be messing with mine.

Im hoping a cheaper programmer like this one will work:

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1023000-atmel-avr-jtag-usb-in-circuit-debugger-programmer

best of luck getting it going again!

danattacker (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:07:00 AM

With the recent release of the source code for the firmware, I decided to take a look at it and I installed AVR studio. The project loaded up and compiled fine.

is there any particular version of avr studio I need? Im definably going to be messing with mine.

Im hoping a cheaper programmer like this one will work:

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1023000-atmel-avr-jtag-usb-in-circuit-debugger-programmer

best of luck getting it going again!

I downloaded the latest version, Atmel Studio 6.1. Sorry, I accidentally said AVR instead of Atmel Studio.

I'm not sure if that programmer will work. Looks like it emulates AVR JTAG ICE, but I think you need at least JTAGICE mkII. I'm no Atmel expert though, so I'm not sure. I would have gone cheaper, but looks like AVR Dragon is the cheapest while still knowing for sure it will work.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:39:14 AM

Maybe someone can try and copy their firmware for you to unbrick yours.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
one4many

Activity: 516

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:53:55 AM

Maybe someone can try and copy their firmware for you to unbrick yours.

+1

a public repository of stock and "tuned" firmwares for all devices would be great.
If someone could send me the images I would host and maintain a small website for it.

Cheers

one4many
danattacker (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:57:40 AM

What would also be nice is if BFL would post on their website compiled firmware like they do with their FPGA products, although their ASIC line isn't meant to be user programmable. Maybe I should ask them.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:58:36 AM

This may work as well to reprogram the ATMEL MCU. What do you guys think?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/USBASP-USBISP-AVR-Programmer-USB-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128-ATMEL-AVR-ATmege-AT90-ATtiny-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/mzIAAMXQDfdRp-Zc/$(KGrHqIOKpMFGUejiKcvBRp-ZbotqQ~~60_57.JPG[/img]]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USBASP-USBISP-AVR-Programmer-USB-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128-ATMEL-AVR-ATmege-AT90-ATtiny-/190855600470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6fe15956

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: