Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:45:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit wallet problem  (Read 3501 times)
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:12:07 PM

Hopefully you did not transfer many BTC.

Did you do a backup before using your wallet?

cp1 said: "You should be able to copy your whole multibit folder". Did you do this?

yes I did do this,

but I don't know why it really matters since I have the private key
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:13:16 PM

cp1 said: "You should be able to copy your whole multibit folder". Did you do this?

yes I did do this,

Because there's something messed up with the blockchain you've downloaded because it's not showing the correct balance.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:15:28 PM

Better yet rename the multibit folder, you can delete it after successful recover.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:23:20 PM

yes I did do this,

I had the case where the wallet itself get corrupt (was with bitcoin-qt). But I had a backup. Backup as soon as possible IS necessary. Bit's can alter anytime anywhere (on harddisk, in memory), believe an admin.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:34:20 PM

After new installation, start the multibit wallet, and hold your mouse pointer over the lower left edge of the multibit window. It shows you the number of the last loaded block number. It should be the current one, around 242206.

Then import your previously exported keys.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:44:48 PM

Ok I am not entirely sure if I backupped the right thing now. I just took the whole multibit 0.5.11 map and backed that up, is this right?
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:59:42 PM

One dir is for the application, another dir for the data, wallet f. e. I'm now not sitting in front of my multibit computer. With bitcoin-qt, the important wallet or chain data resides in "${HOME}/.bitcoin" (for Ubuntu Linux). What is your operating system?

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

One dir is for the application, another dir for the data, wallet f. e. I'm now not sitting in front of my multibit computer. With bitcoin-qt, the important wallet or chain data resides in "${HOME}/.bitcoin" (for Ubuntu Linux). What is your operating system?

The laptop multibit is installed on is running windows xp
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:04:09 PM

You can search for the file multibit.wallet, the one with your private keys. This is included in the important data dir.

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

It lists the locations here:
https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_troubleshooting.html

Try looking in both under PC -- I think the second (old windows) would be for XP.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:52:43 PM

Arghh can't find it, apllication data is nowhere to be found. This all is so frustrating, can't I just sent the private key to another pc with multibit and insert it there?

EDIT: Thanks alot for all your help though!
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:05:15 PM

Yes you could do that, you could also import it into the blockchain.info online wallet and then send it to a new address.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:08:32 PM

You can import the previously exported keys to any other multibit client, it does not matter which operating system or multibit version.

But I wonder that you cannot find the file multibit.wallet. By deinstallaion of the app the data dir remains unchanged. Find this file!

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:10:38 PM

By default the data dir could be hidden.

macintosh

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:12:36 PM

I suggest trying a new wallet client
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:15:24 PM

But i can't insert the private key I extracted from the multibit client, can I?
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:17:23 PM

Arghh can't find it, apllication data is nowhere to be found. This all is so frustrating, can't I just sent the private key to another pc with multibit and insert it there?

EDIT: Thanks alot for all your help though!

As long as you have the private key, you can import it into another MultiBit install, or just about any other wallet (including, as cp1 notes, an online wallet at blockchain.info). I've personally been very happy with the Electrum client: http://electrum.org. It's got a nice, simple import: you just paste your private key(s) into a window, hit import, and you're done.

If you'd like to take another stab at finding your current MultiBit data files, you may be able to get a hint from MultiBit itself. Go to File->Open Wallet. The path that it takes you to should be the location of your current data files, so you can make a note of that path and browse to it in Windows Explorer. If kneim's suggestion of searching for multibit.wallet didn't turn up anything, there are two good possibilities:

1. Your wallet file has a different name.
2. Your system settings are such that the location of your wallet file isn't available when you search.

In either case, the file should still have the .wallet extension, and you should see it in the window that opens when you select Open Wallet from the File menu.

Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

This is what you gotta do, take the wallet.dat out of your client that you sent the coins to. And download a new client. with the backup wallet.dat replace the new one, then try -rescan your coins should pop up
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:18:24 PM

I thought you did it before.

There is a menu with import and export of private keys. After a new installation simply use this to import the previously exported keys.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:20:49 PM

I thought you did it before.

There is a menu with import and export of private keys. After a new installation simply use this to import the previously exported keys.

Ok so this is not client dependant?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: