Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:59:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit wallet problem  (Read 3501 times)
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:53:32 PM

You did not yet have found the file multibit.wallet on your xp?

I did and I made a backup of it
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:59:11 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
1. In MultiBit, go to Tools->Export Private Keys.
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."
3. Make a note of the destination filename - that's where your key will be.
4. Click "Export private keys."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

When I open the export file with the private keys I see 2 keys given, which one should I take?
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:02:32 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

When I open the export file with the private keys I see 2 keys given, which one should I take?

If you have two keys, you'll want to take both of them just to be sure you've got the one you need. Just copy/paste/import each of them separately.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:08:15 PM

If you have two keys, you'll want to take both of them just to be sure you've got the one you need. Just copy/paste/import each of them separately.

It fails to import the key; it says this feature or method isnt supported
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:15:57 PM

Should I try to paste the code at the open field at ''Import wallet''?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

That's bizarre. I haven't managed to make their import fail with that message. Did you choose the Sweep or the Import option, or did it not get that far?

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:18:07 PM

That appears to work fine too, with the entire contents of a plain text export.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:20:37 PM

That's bizarre. I haven't managed to make their import fail with that message. Did you choose the Sweep or the Import option, or did it not get that far?

Didn't get that option, just the error message
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:21:25 PM

what do you exactly mean with the enitire contents of a pain text export? Should I add more then just the key?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:23:49 PM

what do you exactly mean with the enitire contents of a pain text export? Should I add more then just the key?

You only need the key line (the line that doesn't start with '#'). You can get away with copying everything from the file and pasting it in.

Just to double-check that you've got a plain-text export, an encrypted export looks like this:
U2FsdGVkX1+m9aEqqzUZ3hOfVucdHc4/XnL4dEjHKpBRR41txwWaVzmx5ATuddw6yIkJGL+6aw
0XcYKgf3mlC67sHLYAe8CBI4hkDZC8washXCbHgarrDfZiCFPaP5e

...and a plain text export looks like this:
# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE !
# Anyone who can read this file can spend your bitcoin.
#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z  <----This is the only line you need to copy and paste.
# End of private keys

And no, that's not my real private key. Wink

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:25:19 PM

You only need the key line (the line that doesn't start with '#'). You can get away with copying everything from the file and pasting it in.

Just to double-check that you've got a plain-text export, an encrypted export looks like this:

#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z
# End of private keys

I do ahve a plain text file, exactly like that but then with 2 keys
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:26:24 PM

#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z <--Copy and paste any lines that look like this
# End of private keys

I do ahve a plain text file, exactly like that but then with 2 keys

L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z <--Copy and paste any lines that look like this into the big blank in "Import Wallet".

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:27:37 PM

Ok wtf, when I enter the key at import wallet it says it's an invalid format  Sad
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:28:44 PM

Oh the time has to be in it too? let me try

edit: Still says wrong format :s
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:35:08 PM

Ok wtf, when I enter the key at import wallet it says it's an invalid format  Sad

Ouch. I don't know what else to suggest. MultiBit doesn't officially offer support, but you could try their resources here: https://multibit.org/support.html.

I'd be willing to try imports for you in a couple of different clients to see if I can get it to work, but that would mean trusting me with your private key. If we go that route, the process would be:
  • You give me the key via PM.
  • I import it, if I can.
  • If I manage to get it working, I'll send your funds to another address of yours, because once you've given me your private key, it's compromised and you shouldn't use it again.

If I were you, I'd only take me up on that offer after exhausting all other options, because you don't know me and you have no reason to trust me. Before you go handing your key over to me or anyone, I'd suggest you try a local install of Electrum to see if it'll import successfully there. I can walk you through that if you'd like.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

Ouch. I don't know what else to suggest. MultiBit doesn't officially offer support, but you could try their resources here: https://multibit.org/support.html.

I'd be willing to try imports for you in a couple of different clients to see if I can get it to work, but that would mean trusting me with your private key. If we go that route, the process would be:
  • You give me the key via PM.
  • I import it, if I can.
  • If I manage to get it working, I'll send your funds to another address of yours, because once you've given me your private key, it's compromised and you shouldn't use it again.

If I were you, I'd only take me up on that offer after exhausting all other options, because you don't know me and you have no reason to trust me. Before you go handing your key over to me or anyone, I'd suggest you try a local install of Electrum to see if it'll import successfully there. I can walk you through that if you'd like.

Ok thanks you are very helpfull. I will go and install Electrum first then
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

Should I create a new wallet when I finished downloading electrum or restore an existing one?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:43:30 PM

Should I create a new wallet when I finished downloading electrum or restore an existing one?

I'd start with a new wallet, then import your key.

In Electrum, the import process is:
1. Go to Import->Private Keys.
2. Enter your Electrum wallet password.
3. Paste your key, without the date and extra stuff, into the box and click "Import".

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:54:02 PM

I'd start with a new wallet, then import your key.

In Electrum, the import process is:
1. Go to Import->Private Keys.
2. Enter your Electrum wallet password.
3. Paste your key, without the date and extra stuff, into the box and click "Import".

Ok I imported the keys and electrum said they are imported, but I don't see anything happening?..
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:55:31 PM

I see the addresses are added to my receiving addresses but my balance is 0 BTC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: