Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:03:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit wallet problem  (Read 3501 times)
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:58:04 AM

Hey there,

Yesterday (about 24 hours ago) a friend sent me approximate 0.3 bitcoin to my address, however it hasn't shown up in my MultiBit wallet yet.

When I check at blockexplorer, (http://blockexplorer.com/a/3thn6hyPkn) it says I've already received it though?

Can anyone tell me what to do to let the btc show up in my multibit wallet?

Thanks in advance! Smiley

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 12:18:06 PM

Try searching for 'multibit doesn't synchronise' in these forums. I think the problem has already been solved by someone.

gdbutler

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:21:12 PM

Try Tools>Reset Blockchain Transactions, then select a date before your missing transaction, then click the reset button. It is a known bug that I have experienced as well.
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:24:24 PM

What is the multibit version you are using?

I had a version 0.4.6 some days before. It was too old to load the blockchain. Now I'm running with 0.4.23.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:34:01 PM

What is the multibit version you are using?

I had a version 0.4.6 some days before. It was too old to load the blockchain. Now I'm running with 0.4.23.

I am using version 0.5.11

I guess I will try to reset the blockchain!

thanks for the fast answers
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:33:02 PM

Try Tools>Reset Blockchain Transactions, then select a date before your missing transaction, then click the reset button. It is a known bug that I have experienced as well.

I've done this right after you suggested it, but the bitcoins still don't appear in my wallet, how long does it usually take?
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

I've done this right after you suggested it, but the bitcoins still don't appear in my wallet, how long does it usually take?

MultiBit should go through its usual "Synchronizing with network" thing, with a % progress indicator near the top of the window. As soon as that finishes, everything should be up to date.

Have you double-checked that the address is correct? In the Request tab in MultiBit, the bottom pane headed "Your receiving addresses" lists all the addresses for your wallet. 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1 should be one of those, quite possibly the only one.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:23:04 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 04:47:32 PM by Hem4Tic1

MultiBit should go through its usual "Synchronizing with network" thing, with a % progress indicator near the top of the window. As soon as that finishes, everything should be up to date.

Have you double-checked that the address is correct? In the Request tab in MultiBit, the bottom pane headed "Your receiving addresses" lists all the addresses for your wallet. 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1 should be one of those, quite possibly the only one.

The adress is correct.

Whenever I click reset blockchain transactions it says it's synchronizing for about 30 seconds and after that it says it's synchronized, however the wallet still tells me I've got 0.0 BTC
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:33:12 PM

It's getting really annoying by now! Sad

Can anyone please help me out with a solution?
macintosh

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:33:42 PM

Hey there,

Yesterday (about 24 hours ago) a friend sent me approximate 0.3 bitcoin to my address, however it hasn't shown up in my MultiBit wallet yet.

When I check at blockexplorer, (http://blockexplorer.com/a/3thn6hyPkn) it says I've already received it though?

Go to debug menu and enter -rescan
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:41:25 PM

Hey there,

Go to debug menu and enter -rescan

I am not entirely sure what to do when you say this? Where can I find this debug menu?
macintosh

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:44:32 PM

In your client go to the top tab and find "debug"
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:49:15 PM

In your client go to the top tab and find "debug"
There is no tab with ''debug'' and also no sub-tab with ''debug'' as far as I can see. (you did note that it's a multibit wallet?)
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:58:51 PM

Okay so Multibit says this about my problem:

I sent bitcoin to MultiBit but they never arrived

What is the symptom ?

You sent some bitcoin to MultiBit but the bitcoin never arrived. There is no record of the transaction in MultiBit.

What can you do about it ?

The first thing to check is whether the bitcoin was actually sent ok. You can do this by:

Requesting the transaction id from the person or company that sent it to you.

Checking on blockchain.info or blockexplorer.com that the transaction exists. If it does, make a note of the date of the transaction, which you will use later.

There was a bug in some earlier versions of MultiBit that incorrectly filtered incoming transactions. This bug is fixed in version 0.4.23 (and later). If you have an old version of MultiBit download the latest copy and install it.

To get the missing transaction into your wallet:

Click on the wallet in the Wallets list to make it the active wallet.

Go into 'Tools | Reset blockchain and transactions'.

Select the "Specify reset date" and select the DAY BEFORE the transaction. (Lots of dates in Bitcoin are quoted in GMT so if you choose the day before you avoid time zone problems).

Click on the 'Reset blockchain and transactions' button and let MultiBit sync the blockchain. Just leave MultiBit to work its way through the sync.

You should then see the transaction in your wallet.

However when I do this nothing happens and my wallet still tells me I have 0.0 BTC
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:06:24 PM

What if you export your keys, backup everything, reinstall multibit and import your keys again?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:12:35 PM

What if you export your keys, backup everything, reinstall multibit and import your keys again?

I am completely new to all this, but I will take a look on how to do this.

edit: How do I backup everything?
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:37:36 PM

You should be able to copy your whole multibit folder (the one with your wallet file) -- just in case you screw something up you can easily replace it.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:03:12 PM

You should be able to copy your whole multibit folder (the one with your wallet file) -- just in case you screw something up you can easily replace it.

Ok so I exported private keys and then uninstalled multibit, but when I installed it again my wallet has the exact same adresss as it had before I uninstalled it, this cant be right right?
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:10:20 PM

Hopefully you did not transfer many BTC.

Did you do a backup before using your wallet?

cp1 said: "You should be able to copy your whole multibit folder". Did you do this?

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:11:40 PM

When you're sure that you've backed up properly try deleting the multibit folder after uninstalling, then reinstall.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:12:07 PM

cp1 said: "You should be able to copy your whole multibit folder". Did you do this?

yes I did do this,

but I don't know why it really matters since I have the private key
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:13:16 PM

yes I did do this,

Because there's something messed up with the blockchain you've downloaded because it's not showing the correct balance.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:15:28 PM

Better yet rename the multibit folder, you can delete it after successful recover.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:23:20 PM

yes I did do this,

I had the case where the wallet itself get corrupt (was with bitcoin-qt). But I had a backup. Backup as soon as possible IS necessary. Bit's can alter anytime anywhere (on harddisk, in memory), believe an admin.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:34:20 PM

After new installation, start the multibit wallet, and hold your mouse pointer over the lower left edge of the multibit window. It shows you the number of the last loaded block number. It should be the current one, around 242206.

Then import your previously exported keys.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:44:48 PM

Ok I am not entirely sure if I backupped the right thing now. I just took the whole multibit 0.5.11 map and backed that up, is this right?
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:59:42 PM

One dir is for the application, another dir for the data, wallet f. e. I'm now not sitting in front of my multibit computer. With bitcoin-qt, the important wallet or chain data resides in "${HOME}/.bitcoin" (for Ubuntu Linux). What is your operating system?

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

One dir is for the application, another dir for the data, wallet f. e. I'm now not sitting in front of my multibit computer. With bitcoin-qt, the important wallet or chain data resides in "${HOME}/.bitcoin" (for Ubuntu Linux). What is your operating system?

The laptop multibit is installed on is running windows xp
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:04:09 PM

You can search for the file multibit.wallet, the one with your private keys. This is included in the important data dir.

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

It lists the locations here:
https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_troubleshooting.html

Try looking in both under PC -- I think the second (old windows) would be for XP.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:52:43 PM

Arghh can't find it, apllication data is nowhere to be found. This all is so frustrating, can't I just sent the private key to another pc with multibit and insert it there?

EDIT: Thanks alot for all your help though!
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:05:15 PM

Yes you could do that, you could also import it into the blockchain.info online wallet and then send it to a new address.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:08:32 PM

You can import the previously exported keys to any other multibit client, it does not matter which operating system or multibit version.

But I wonder that you cannot find the file multibit.wallet. By deinstallaion of the app the data dir remains unchanged. Find this file!

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:10:38 PM

By default the data dir could be hidden.

macintosh

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:12:36 PM

I suggest trying a new wallet client
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:15:24 PM

But i can't insert the private key I extracted from the multibit client, can I?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:17:23 PM

Arghh can't find it, apllication data is nowhere to be found. This all is so frustrating, can't I just sent the private key to another pc with multibit and insert it there?

EDIT: Thanks alot for all your help though!

As long as you have the private key, you can import it into another MultiBit install, or just about any other wallet (including, as cp1 notes, an online wallet at blockchain.info). I've personally been very happy with the Electrum client: http://electrum.org. It's got a nice, simple import: you just paste your private key(s) into a window, hit import, and you're done.

If you'd like to take another stab at finding your current MultiBit data files, you may be able to get a hint from MultiBit itself. Go to File->Open Wallet. The path that it takes you to should be the location of your current data files, so you can make a note of that path and browse to it in Windows Explorer. If kneim's suggestion of searching for multibit.wallet didn't turn up anything, there are two good possibilities:

1. Your wallet file has a different name.
2. Your system settings are such that the location of your wallet file isn't available when you search.

In either case, the file should still have the .wallet extension, and you should see it in the window that opens when you select Open Wallet from the File menu.

Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

This is what you gotta do, take the wallet.dat out of your client that you sent the coins to. And download a new client. with the backup wallet.dat replace the new one, then try -rescan your coins should pop up
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:18:24 PM

I thought you did it before.

There is a menu with import and export of private keys. After a new installation simply use this to import the previously exported keys.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:20:49 PM

There is a menu with import and export of private keys. After a new installation simply use this to import the previously exported keys.

Ok so this is not client dependant?
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:21:37 PM

This is what you gotta do, take the wallet.dat out of your client that you sent the coins to. And download a new client. with the backup wallet.dat replace the new one, then try -rescan your coins should pop up
With multibit the wallet file is "multibit.wallet". The file "wallet.dat" is for bitcoin-qt client.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:22:37 PM

Private keys are client-independent. As noted in my previous post, you can import them into a different local wallet client, or into an online wallet. The process varies, but there's always (so far as I've seen) a way to do it.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:23:19 PM

As long as you stick with multibit, it is not client dependend.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:26:57 PM

Private keys are client-independent. As noted in my previous post, you can import them into a different local wallet client, or into an online wallet. The process varies, but there's always (so far as I've seen) a way to do it.
Attention, Hem4Tic1 is a newcomer. The exported file IS client dependent. The key itself is not. Go on with multibit and the exported keys.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:28:05 PM

This is true if you password-protect your export, which is important under normal circumstances. If you want to use your private key from MultiBit with a client other than MultiBit, you can export it in plain text. If you do this, it is critical that you delete the export file when you're done with it, because having your private key laying around in plain text is very dangerous.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:29:19 PM

Attention, Hem4Tic1 is a newcomer. The exported file IS client dependent. The key itself is not. Go on with multibit and the exported keys.

and what about the blockchain.info wallet? Can I make a wallet there, import the key i got from my multibit client and have the btc show up there? that seems like an easy way to solve the problem..
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:29:56 PM

Looks like we're talking at cross purposes a little bit. Overall I agree with you: if MultiBit will work, definitely stick with MultiBit. If you're fed up with MultiBit and want to try something else, you can export your keys in plain text and switch clients.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:31:33 PM

This is true if you password-protect your export, which is important under normal circumstances. If you want to use your private key from MultiBit with a client other than MultiBit, you can export it in plain text. If you do this, it is critical that you delete the export file when you're done with it, because having your private key laying around in plain text is very dangerous.
You are right, but I think this is far from his scope. One step after the other.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:32:35 PM

and what about the blockchain.info wallet? Can I make a wallet there, import the key i got from my multibit client and have the btc show up there? that seems like an easy way to solve the problem..

This would require a plain text export also. Kneim's got the right idea: if we can get MultiBit to do its job, that's probably going to be the smoothest solution for you.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:03 PM

This would require a plain text export also. Kneim's got the right idea: if we can get MultiBit to do its job, that's probably going to be the smoothest solution for you.

Ok seems valid. But I am not really sure what to do now. Should I 1. find the .wallet file and back that up 2. delete all the other multibit files 3. install multibit again 4. import private key?
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:27 PM

I'm in Germany, have to go to bed now. TAKE YOUR TIME. There is no need to hurry. If you really have the export file, you will recover your coins. Make a backup of it, to a USB stick, f. e.

Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:35:41 PM

problem fixed?
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:36:15 PM

I'm in Germany, have to go to bed now. TAKE YOUR TIME. There is no need to hurry. If you really have the export file, you will recover your coins. Make a backup of it, to a USB stick, f. e.

Ok thanks for your help! Wink
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:36:38 PM

problem fixed?

Not yet, see couple of posts back
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:37:17 PM

Don't delete anything, do only rename at this stage.

Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:38:04 PM

Hey there,

0.3 bitcoins is a lot to lose.. sorry about that.
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:39:56 PM

When i try to find the .wallet file on my desktop pc I can find it within 10 seconds, but my desktop is running vista and the laptop I have the multibit client with the problem on is running xp and the .wallet file is nowhere to be found
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:45:51 PM

I really need some sleep now too, will be back this morning.

You guys are really helpfull, I am just not experienced with bitcoins (and not that good with computers in general) and this seems like one nasty bug   Undecided

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:49:04 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 01:11:24 AM by orymh

Ok seems valid. But I am not really sure what to do now. Should I 1. find the .wallet file and back that up 2. delete all the other multibit files 3. install multibit again 4. import private key?

Here are the steps I'd use. It's a longer process, but it's one way to be absolutely certain that your old .wallet file isn't messing things up:
1. Find the .wallet file.
2. Make a copy of it and the whole folder it's in. This is sort of overkill, but better safe than sorry, right?
3. Uninstall MultiBit through the Add/Remove Programs control panel. Check the "force the deletion of..." checkbox.
4. Reboot.
5. Go back to your original .wallet file's location. Rename that file, or better yet, rename the folder it's in.
6. Reinstall MultiBit.
7. Import your private key.

This ensures that your old .wallet file can't cause any issues with your new MultiBit install.

If you'd like more in-depth help finding your .wallet file, let me know. I know how frustrating it can be to bang your head against XP.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:37:25 AM

Ok seems valid. But I am not really sure what to do now. Should I 1. find the .wallet file and back that up 2. delete all the other multibit files 3. install multibit again 4. import private key?

Here are the steps I'd use. It's a longer process, but it's one way to be absolutely certain that your old .wallet file isn't messing things up:
1. Find the .wallet file.
2. Make a copy of it and the whole folder it's in. This is sort of overkill, but better safe than sorry, right?
3. Uninstall MultiBit through the Add/Remove Programs control panel. Check the "force the deletion of..." checkbox.
4. Reboot.
5. Go back to your original .wallet file's location. Rename that file, or better yet, rename the folder it's in.
6. Reinstall MultiBit.
7. Import your private key.

This ensures that your old .wallet file can't cause any issues with your new MultiBit install.

If you'd like more in-depth help finding your .wallet file, let me know. I know how frustrating it can be to bang your head against XP.

Ok I have done this exactly the way you suggested, but after synchronizing it still displays I have got 0.0 BTC  Sad

I have no clue on what to do now..
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

If anyone knows a possible solution please tell me Smiley
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:12:04 AM

Ok to sum it all up for people who don't want to read the whole topic:

BTC got sent to my MultiBit wallet (http://blockexplorer.com/address/17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1) on my laptop which is running windows xp, however the BTC never appeared in my wallet (It has been about 48 hours since the BTC got sent)

I first tried to solve this by restarting blockchain and transactions, this didn't do anything

I then exported the private key, reinstalled multibit and imported the key again; after synchronizing it still told me I have 0.0 BTC in my wallet

The multibit client is version 0.5.11
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 11:24:13 AM

Maybe try installing bitcoinqt and importing the keys there or use an online trusted wallet provider and import the keys (use this only as the last measure)

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:49:03 AM

Maybe try installing bitcoinqt and importing the keys there or use an online trusted wallet provider and import the keys (use this only as the last measure)

any other method? Am i going to lose my btc, or will I be good since I have the private key and e.g blockchain says I received it? If there's not any other method then what you just suggested, how do I pull this of exactly?
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:34:52 PM

It really should work -- I'm not sure what's wrong.  But you can take your private key and import it into a blockchain.info online wallet.  Just don't leave your bitcoins in there, I don't trust it.

https://blockchain.info/wallet

Signup, go to import/export and add private key.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:40:16 PM

It really should work -- I'm not sure what's wrong.  But you can take your private key and import it into a blockchain.info online wallet.  Just don't leave your bitcoins in there, I don't trust it.

https://blockchain.info/wallet

Signup, go to import/export and add private key.

Ok I can try that, but I already imported the key on my reinstalled multibit, does this matter?

Also, I think someone noted that I can't just import the multibit key into a blockchain. info wallet, but that I first have to decode it or sth??
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:46:12 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:27:50 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:03:51 PM

Leave MultiBit open for a bit, it needs to syncronize.
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:06:47 PM

You sure? It has been 48 hours ago the bitc were sent and it nowhere says that it is synchronizing..
HeroC
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:08:10 PM

You sure? It has been 48 hours ago the bitc were sent and it nowhere says that it is synchronizing..

Try doing a BlockChain reset. https://multibit.org/help_resetBlockchain.html

Set the date to a week before your first transaction.

It may help.
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:09:07 PM

It may help.

As you could have noted in posts before I already have done this multiple times
HeroC
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:14:49 PM

It may help.

As you could have noted in posts before I already have done this multiple times

Sorry didn't see that.

If I recall right, I had this problem too.  I did a blockchain reset and needed to restart MultiBit and Computer, launch, and wait 5mins for multibit to start relaying from servers. Ill help more later, I got to go.
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:32:43 PM

Move your mouse over the lower left edge of the multibit client window. It must show you the current block number.

If the block number is not up-to-date or not rising, then check your firewall.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:34:52 PM

Move your mouse over the lower left edge of the multibit client window. It must show you the current block number.

If the block number is not up-to-date or not rising, then check your firewall.

It says amount of blocks: 242.292

No idea what this has to to mean
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:41:45 PM

This is the current block number, so the communication to the network is ok.

For me this means you
a) did not have send the coins to the address you believe
b) the matching private key is not yet imported into the multibit client

It is possible that a newcomer mixes up sending and receiving addresses, not so good.

Can you see the used public address in the receiving tab?

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:47:15 PM

This is the current block number, so the communication to the network is ok.

For me this means you
a) did not have send the coins to the address you believe
b) the matching private key is not yet imported into the multibit client

It is possible that a newcomer mixes up sending and receiving addresses, not so good.

Can you see the used public address in the receiving tab?

Yes my receiving address is 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1, and if you check this address at e.g. blockchain.info (https://blockchain.info/address/17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1) you can see I should have received the BTC
kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:06:33 PM

No more idea at this time.

But whoever is reading this, always make a minimum transaction first. And if that works, backup and distribute your wallet, before using it for more.

kneim
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:38:22 PM

You did not yet have found the file multibit.wallet on your xp?

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 03:47:35 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

Ok I made a blockchain.info wallet, but when I go to Import/Export -> Import Private key I don't know how to put the private key in, how do I do this?

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
1. In MultiBit, go to Tools->Export Private Keys.
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."
3. Make a note of the destination filename - that's where your key will be.
4. Click "Export private keys."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:53:32 PM

You did not yet have found the file multibit.wallet on your xp?

I did and I made a backup of it
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:59:11 PM

It says it accepts all sorts of private keys, so you should be fine.  It doesn't matter whether you've imported it into something else as long as your bitcoins are at the address associated with the key you can access them with that key from any client.

This will require a plain text export of your private key from MultiBit. The steps for this:
2. In the "Password of export file" section, select "Do not password protect export file."

The export file will be a text file. Even though it has the .key extension, you can open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. Open the file and copy the key, but don't include the date or the stuff after it - Blockchain.info will choke on it.

On Blockchain.info, log in to your wallet, go to Import/Export, and paste your key into the "Add Private Key" blank. After you click "Add Private Key", you're given the option to import the key or automatically transfer funds. Either one should work fine. Then you're done, and your funds should show up in your Blockchain.info wallet - instantly, if you chose to import directly rather than "sweeping" to a new key.

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but it's important enough to repeat: delete that export file as soon as you're done with it. If anyone gets their hands on your private key, they can take your money.

When I open the export file with the private keys I see 2 keys given, which one should I take?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:02:32 PM

When I open the export file with the private keys I see 2 keys given, which one should I take?

If you have two keys, you'll want to take both of them just to be sure you've got the one you need. Just copy/paste/import each of them separately.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:08:15 PM

If you have two keys, you'll want to take both of them just to be sure you've got the one you need. Just copy/paste/import each of them separately.

It fails to import the key; it says this feature or method isnt supported
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:15:57 PM

Should I try to paste the code at the open field at ''Import wallet''?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

That's bizarre. I haven't managed to make their import fail with that message. Did you choose the Sweep or the Import option, or did it not get that far?

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:18:07 PM

That appears to work fine too, with the entire contents of a plain text export.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:20:37 PM

That's bizarre. I haven't managed to make their import fail with that message. Did you choose the Sweep or the Import option, or did it not get that far?

Didn't get that option, just the error message
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:21:25 PM

what do you exactly mean with the enitire contents of a pain text export? Should I add more then just the key?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:23:49 PM

what do you exactly mean with the enitire contents of a pain text export? Should I add more then just the key?

You only need the key line (the line that doesn't start with '#'). You can get away with copying everything from the file and pasting it in.

Just to double-check that you've got a plain-text export, an encrypted export looks like this:
U2FsdGVkX1+m9aEqqzUZ3hOfVucdHc4/XnL4dEjHKpBRR41txwWaVzmx5ATuddw6yIkJGL+6aw
0XcYKgf3mlC67sHLYAe8CBI4hkDZC8washXCbHgarrDfZiCFPaP5e

...and a plain text export looks like this:
# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE !
# Anyone who can read this file can spend your bitcoin.
#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z  <----This is the only line you need to copy and paste.
# End of private keys

And no, that's not my real private key. Wink

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:25:19 PM

You only need the key line (the line that doesn't start with '#'). You can get away with copying everything from the file and pasting it in.

Just to double-check that you've got a plain-text export, an encrypted export looks like this:

#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z
# End of private keys

I do ahve a plain text file, exactly like that but then with 2 keys
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:26:24 PM

#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z <--Copy and paste any lines that look like this
# End of private keys

I do ahve a plain text file, exactly like that but then with 2 keys

L31L1BsnM6SGyXtMjspQMQsJfNRw6gtE8TbyzoaoSXzaVzxbmRe 2013-06-19T16:18:50Z <--Copy and paste any lines that look like this into the big blank in "Import Wallet".

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:27:37 PM

Ok wtf, when I enter the key at import wallet it says it's an invalid format  Sad
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:28:44 PM

Oh the time has to be in it too? let me try

edit: Still says wrong format :s
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:35:08 PM

Ok wtf, when I enter the key at import wallet it says it's an invalid format  Sad

Ouch. I don't know what else to suggest. MultiBit doesn't officially offer support, but you could try their resources here: https://multibit.org/support.html.

I'd be willing to try imports for you in a couple of different clients to see if I can get it to work, but that would mean trusting me with your private key. If we go that route, the process would be:
  • You give me the key via PM.
  • I import it, if I can.
  • If I manage to get it working, I'll send your funds to another address of yours, because once you've given me your private key, it's compromised and you shouldn't use it again.

If I were you, I'd only take me up on that offer after exhausting all other options, because you don't know me and you have no reason to trust me. Before you go handing your key over to me or anyone, I'd suggest you try a local install of Electrum to see if it'll import successfully there. I can walk you through that if you'd like.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

Ouch. I don't know what else to suggest. MultiBit doesn't officially offer support, but you could try their resources here: https://multibit.org/support.html.

I'd be willing to try imports for you in a couple of different clients to see if I can get it to work, but that would mean trusting me with your private key. If we go that route, the process would be:
  • You give me the key via PM.
  • I import it, if I can.
  • If I manage to get it working, I'll send your funds to another address of yours, because once you've given me your private key, it's compromised and you shouldn't use it again.

If I were you, I'd only take me up on that offer after exhausting all other options, because you don't know me and you have no reason to trust me. Before you go handing your key over to me or anyone, I'd suggest you try a local install of Electrum to see if it'll import successfully there. I can walk you through that if you'd like.

Ok thanks you are very helpfull. I will go and install Electrum first then
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

Should I create a new wallet when I finished downloading electrum or restore an existing one?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 04:43:30 PM

Should I create a new wallet when I finished downloading electrum or restore an existing one?

I'd start with a new wallet, then import your key.

In Electrum, the import process is:
1. Go to Import->Private Keys.
2. Enter your Electrum wallet password.
3. Paste your key, without the date and extra stuff, into the box and click "Import".

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:54:02 PM

I'd start with a new wallet, then import your key.

In Electrum, the import process is:
1. Go to Import->Private Keys.
2. Enter your Electrum wallet password.
3. Paste your key, without the date and extra stuff, into the box and click "Import".

Ok I imported the keys and electrum said they are imported, but I don't see anything happening?..
Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:55:31 PM

I see the addresses are added to my receiving addresses but my balance is 0 BTC
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 05:04:19 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 05:20:41 PM by orymh

This is an extremely weird issue. If 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1 is showing up in your imported addresses, and Electrum is connected, there should be no way for it to show a zero balance, because both blockexplorer.com and blockchain.info's address search agree that that address has a balance of slightly over .31 BTC.

You can tell for sure whether Electrum is connected by looking at the lower right-hand corner of the Electrum window. You should have a green dot there. If it's another color, then Electrum isn't connected properly, and that would explain why it isn't reflecting your balance yet.

Edit: I'll be unavailable for the next few hours, but I'll check in again when I can. I'm absolutely fascinated by this problem. I know this is no fun for you, but I love the strange ones.  Grin

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:24:40 PM

This is an extremely weird issue. If 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1 is showing up in your imported addresses, and Electrum is connected, there should be no way for it to show a zero balance, because both blockexplorer.com and blockchain.info's address search agree that that address has a balance of slightly over .31 BTC.

You can tell for sure whether Electrum is connected by looking at the lower right-hand corner of the Electrum window. You should have a green dot there. If it's another color, then Electrum isn't connected properly, and that would explain why it isn't reflecting your balance yet.

Edit: I'll be unavailable for the next few hours, but I'll check in again when I can. I'm absolutely fascinated by this problem. I know this is no fun for you, but I love the strange ones.  Grin

The dot in the corner is green  Angry
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 06:12:13 PM

Turned up an interesting possibility: apparently people have had a similar problem before with imported addresses in Electrum. The solution was to send additional funds to the same address. Once Electrum saw the new transaction, it updated the total balance.

I've just sent .001 BTC to 17xSPe9avt1S5uL1Dtedoj7dQD6DgYozx1. We'll see if that does the trick once the new transaction is confirmed. One confirmation so far.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 06:23:00 PM

I knew there was a troubleshooting step I was forgetting: You can try connecting to a different Electrum server, just in case the one you're connected to is misbehaving. (This also has the handy side effect of forcing Electrum to update your balance.) Click on the green network dot, click on any server in the list, and click OK. It should take a minute or less for the light to go back to green.

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 07:33:17 PM

It's crazy that you can't get the funds to show up.  I'd ask you to PM me the private key and I'll send you the funds, but I don't know if I want to be responsible for that.

Hem4Tic1 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:00:52 AM

OK GUYS GOOD NEWS,

The funds now shop up  in my electrum! I think it is because of the 0.001 bitcoin you sent me, thanks for that!

It's funny because it says I received the 0.31 btc at the 17th and the 0.001 at the 19th, but they appeared at the same time

Thanks for all the help! Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: