Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:22:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A newbie just killed Ethereum  (Read 4068 times)
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:17:01 AM

I was wondering why Ethereum was trending on Twitter.

This article explains the bad news for some Ethereum holders  https://www.cryptpool.net/ethereum-wallet-vulnerability/
Bad news for ethereum holders on (PARITY)

Rather than try to give a misunderstanding about everyone in here you must try to readh all of the words in the article. The vulnerability has found in the parity and there is no relationwhip with ethereum itself.
If you are try to spreading FUD and you may try a better word rather than it.

This time a lot of people are smart that tan before. Those are still keeping their money on the wallet that has a lot of problem was very amateur. There is a lot of awareness about that.
coingrow

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:27:30 AM

I have been shouting my lungs out to my friends to buy etherium classic. That is the real deal people, the original etherium! If it was not to buy tokens from ICO's I would not have owned a single ETH myself.

carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:36:40 AM

I have been shouting my lungs out to my friends to buy etherium classic. That is the real deal people, the original etherium! If it was not to buy tokens from ICO's I would not have owned a single ETH myself.
well its really making some moves and since its the first eth so dev will do everything in order to create a big growth with this system
better to hold some more etc and be glad after, good luck
shinharu10282016

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:37:47 AM

This article explains the bad news for some Ethereum holders  https://www.cryptpool.net/ethereum-wallet-vulnerability/
Bad news for ethereum holders on (PARITY)

Rather than try to give a misunderstanding about everyone in here you must try to readh all of the words in the article. The vulnerability has found in the parity and there is no relationwhip with ethereum itself.
If you are try to spreading FUD and you may try a better word rather than it.

This time a lot of people are smart that tan before. Those are still keeping their money on the wallet that has a lot of problem was very amateur. There is a lot of awareness about that.

I TOTALLY AGREE SIR. These people just love spreading FUD. I am not that expert at all, but I think I am not a newbie. Basing the price on such FUDs are for NEWBS. Don't you think this can be something the devs have done? Just a PR thing. You know how VITALIK BUTERIN always say ETHEREUM will be able to beat bitcoin or something like that in the next few years. Lol.

The same lines people use when people don't hold Bitcoin because THEY THOUGHT IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PROFITABLE TO DO SO. KEK. This is not the downfall at all.
stealth.money

Activity: 561
Merit: 255

Going stealthy

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:47:08 AM

Eth is shit and full of bugs, it repeat occurring again and again. When we think about it, Bitcoin is solid and the reason it's number one.

abduljacklu

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

ENTRY cryptocurrency

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:52:37 AM

thanks for this im buring all my eth right now,better than to say sorry. Cool

feelideb

Activity: 770
Merit: 101

fLibero.financial

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:59:15 AM

This event will once again raise the question of security within ethereum platform. Whatever is written in the code that allow this kind of mistake should not have happened in the first place. Hope parity solve their problems with multi sig.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:09:31 AM

I'm just wonder how many bugs contain other platforms which are trying to become ethereum killers.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:44:00 AM

Certainly a lot of money locked up in this, the biggest so far and not the first time Parity has had issues, even though this isn't directly linked to ETH being at fault, it will look this way to the average onlooker when they read stories about this.
Gutenhans

Activity: 135
Merit: 12

Call me Mr. Hans

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:03:25 AM

i hope everybody who lost money in the parity events did not depend on that money for food or shelter. Now that being said let's have a laugh so we can relax a bit while we find for a solution.
https://www.captiongenerator.com/764622/Interview-with-Tim-M-Zagar-about-Parity-wallets#.WgLP0zMeyA0.facebook
Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:15:39 AM

i hope everybody who lost money in the parity events did not depend on that money for food or shelter. Now that being said let's have a laugh so we can relax a bit while we find for a solution.
https://www.captiongenerator.com/764622/Interview-with-Tim-M-Zagar-about-Parity-wallets#.WgLP0zMeyA0.facebook
Easy to laugh when you weren't there invested money. The people in the Ethereum have invested many thousands of dollars. I never trust aliminum. I can mine some coins but I immediately exchanged for bitcoin. I think that someday the entire capital invested in altcoins will enter service in bitcoin.
MakaveliTheDon
Copper Member

Activity: 90
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 10:28:12 AM

So, if Ethereum pushes the fix at the Constantinople hard fork what does it mean? Will any mistake that people make because they do not know how to write smart contracts be reversible by doing a hard fork? Should we just have 1,000 hard forks per year to solve bad design and programming? And where do you draw the line ... is it when more than $100M is affected? Maybe $1M? $1000? People need to realize that blockchain has numerous advantages BUT it has its trade-offs, it acts as a "universal truth" and  (well, at least truth that those thousands of nodes agree on) and everything you build needs to be error-prone similar to a nuclear reactor or pacemaker software.

At the same time, $150M-$300M affected with this mistake can be "too big to fail" for Ethereum's public image if they do not fix it. It could as well be presented as the "flaw" of blockchain itself by media around the world. It could bring fear to anyone else trying to build projects on top of the Ethereum. It could drive the ETH price waaaaay down.

So, what do you guys think should be done in this case? How should Ethereum solve this multi-sig wallets that just turned into multi-HODL wallets?  Grin

VERITY.NETWORK | Decentralized oracle for smart contracts | Try our ALPHA and earn rewards
Gutenhans

Activity: 135

Call me Mr. Hans

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:29:31 AM

Easy there, a laugh can heal the burn Smiley i was invested in ICN (moast of my activity here it's on iconomi topics), and iconomi assured the investors that the ETH funds are not held in Parity wallets anymore. Just imagine my frustration after reading the news and feeling safe and just seconds after, seeing my investment went 20% down after already a huge downfall. i'm down almost half a paycheck just on this one unfortunate event.

"I think that someday the entire capital invested in altcoins will enter service in bitcoin." This is becoming very plausible if the bitcoin community would stop the forkings
CryptoHunter911

Activity: 57
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:34:27 AM

Here's the full story.
Just bad luck.He destroyed 160 mil USD worth ETH that belongs to POLKADOT ICO Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItN55wM7azQ&t=94s
cryptoenterprise

Activity: 294
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 11:11:59 AM

The Ethereum bug is bad news for the ENTIRE Ethereum network. Not just ETH, but all tokens running on Ethereum. 
Just how bad though?
KaranRaut

Activity: 106

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 11:39:09 AM

This article explains the bad news for some Ethereum holders  https://www.cryptpool.net/ethereum-wallet-vulnerability/

I think it's not a good enough reason for all ETH holders to panic or sell cheap.. It's an issue with Parity wallet and the ethereum network. As long as the eth is frozen and can be recovered, I think we should be good to go BAU
swiftcoder (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 11:45:00 AM

The Ethereum bug is bad news for the ENTIRE Ethereum network. Not just ETH, but all tokens running on Ethereum. 
Just how bad though?

How bad ? Gavin Wood designed the Ethereum scripting language Solidity, and is Founder of Parity. If their language architect can leave huge holes like this, what are the odds that all the other smart contracts out there are 100% secure?

// CryptPool  //   ─── Visit Us!
The Cryptocurrency Authority (https://www.cryptpool.net)
bundo

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:20:17 PM

Definitively frozen ? I thought it was repairable. How such a easy bug from random address can do this damage... When you talk about bug in softwares it's something, but in crypto damn it s a bit lost of money.
a bug is a fatal error if it happens in the crypto world, because the asset (virtual money) is just a number can not be grasped by hand and is very sensiitive

Loss of coin will adversely affect consumer sustainability
skullsandbones

Activity: 222

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:23:23 PM

How bad ? Gavin Wood designed the Ethereum scripting language Solidity, and is Founder of Parity. If their language architect can leave huge holes like this, what are the odds that all the other smart contracts out there are 100% secure?
I totally agree, I guess all other smart contracts out there will have to be 100x more cautious and prevent something like this happening again.
gecelerinyargici

Activity: 168

"Akche, Türkiye'nin Dijital Parası"

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:40:02 PM

dont belive those news

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: