Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:46:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] First 500Gh/s BFL unit up and running!  (Read 30794 times)
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:12:35 AM

If you only plug in one of the power supplies, does the device still function but only running up half the boards at 250GH/s?

Just thinking about if a breaker trips.

Since this rig is running with a USB hub inside, yes, that is exactly what will happen.

When they start using xlink, it will depend on if the master board is taken out or not so if one PSU goes down, you could lose the whole rig.
I thought they had already been told about this problem at one of the trade shows?

Why have they not fixed this to date?
I'm pretty sure everyone considers it more important to get it delivered and mining...

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:42:36 AM

POWER RESULTS

Ok. We plugged the minirig into a 20 amp 120v circuit that is rated for 100% utilization.

The results were that the minirig was using no less than 17 amps and would use up to 20 amps. The breaker does not trip but I am sure we are getting close to the edge.

If you take the high side of these results, aka, all boards pulling full wattage at the same time, the result is that you should plan for 2,400 watts for each 500Gh/s unit.

This works out to 4.5 watts per Gh/s plus overhead for all fans.

Please remember that this is being pulled from 2 PSUs so you could plug a minirig in at home on two seperate 15 amp 120v circuits.

You would just need to figure out how to deal with 2,400 watts of heat.  Smiley
Can the 12 ton HVAC handle two more 500Gh/s units?

I'm guessing since a ton of A/C can effectively get rid of 12,000 BTU and a watt is roughly 3.41 BTU, 2400 watts * 3.41 BTU = 8184 BTUs, and he can get rid of 144,000 BTU a day, his system should be able to handle them.

I thought Giga had 21 500Gh MR's ordered.  They will most likely be split up amongst his other farms.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:50:44 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone considers it more important to get it delivered and mining...

I thought it being "shipped" was good enough.  Cheesy

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:01:06 AM

If you only plug in one of the power supplies, does the device still function but only running up half the boards at 250GH/s?

Since this rig is running with a USB hub inside, yes, that is exactly what will happen.

When they start using xlink, it will depend on if the master board is taken out or not so if one PSU goes down, you could lose the whole rig.
I thought they had already been told about this problem at one of the trade shows?

What's to fix?

If you connect each of the 8 separately, then they each can fail separately.
If you join them all via x-link, then the x-link chain is indeed a chain where everything below the failed point in the chain will stop working ... as is quite obviously expected.

If the next step was to create some board to handle the partial x-link failure by not having a 'chain' then if the board fails, you lose everything.

I'd be surprised if they bothered to do much about it.
Simply either use x-link, or connect all 8 via a USB hub directly.
This one of gigavps' (that I was testing cgminer on before he got it Tongue) is as described, 8 independent USB devices in hubs - I guess much like the original FPGA MiniRig.

Edit: though I'd also add - since you aren't ever going to get one - why do you care? Cheesy

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:20:51 AM

Apparently not...
Hello fellow bitcoiners,

It has come to my attention that there are multiple BFL customers with early orders who would like to part with some of their 500Gh/s units. The reasons are numerus, from not having enough power to run the units to some wanting to not have to deal with mining.

I would like to get a feeling from the community if any of you are interested in purchasing these units.

My roll in this is strictly as a broker / escrow / single point of contact for handling all queries and sales.

The 500Gh/s units are offered at $150k each with payment in BTC preferred.

If you have any questions, you can ask them by PM or in this thread.

Best,
James

He's apparently already trying to sell orders (as a broker or not) for more than it is worth. What does that tell you?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:33:28 AM

What's to fix?

If you connect each of the 8 separately, then they each can fail separately.
If you join them all via x-link, then the x-link chain is indeed a chain where everything below the failed point in the chain will stop working ... as is quite obviously expected.

If the next step was to create some board to handle the partial x-link failure by not having a 'chain' then if the board fails, you lose everything.
The person who brought it up came out with different suggestions at the time. I don't recall who it was anymore.

But you summarized at least a part of the problem. A 480Gh/s unit that has a failure can quickly turn into a 50Gh/s unit for several days if the issue isn't addressed using the x-link chained connection. I suppose if all the units are uniformly the same you might be able to extract the bad board (somehow?) and put the entire chain together again minus the bad board. Though I have no clue of what the x-link topology is like or if there is something special in relation to the last board.

Edit: though I'd also add - since you aren't ever going to get one - why do you care? Cheesy
At a 20k price point? No, I don't think so.

At 10k? Yeah that sounds good.

I care about mining because in the next month you should have 400+ GH/s for the kind of profitability I am looking for. I stopped looking for options in the sub 100Gh/s category.

By the end of the year, you will need [possibly] double or triple even that much hashing power.

Also, you talk too much smack, you had to be given free units to quiet you down a bit with all your excess complaining and begging for boards to be sent to you. BFL offered you a plane ride (for free) and gave you free hardware. It wasn't until fairly recently that you couldn't even afford one, remember?

Since then you have been pretty weak at the knees [cow towing] whenever someone mentions BFL.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:39:31 AM

You forgot to read the rest of my post Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:41:04 AM

The part where you had the minirig in your possession for a while?

What about it? Can you afford the miners now?  Cheesy Wink
kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:43:06 AM

The part where you had the minirig in your possession for a while?

What about it? Can you afford the miners now?  Cheesy Wink
What I actually wrote - not your delusions Smiley

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:48:53 AM

What is x-link? Is there a page with information?

jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:08:14 AM

Can the 12 ton HVAC handle two more 500Gh/s units?

I have facilities setup to handle over 100 500Gh/s units and more contracts are being signed in the immediate future so there are no problems hosting any number of minirigs.

xlink is a chained system and is meant to be more reliable than USB do to hubs not being very reliable.

I do not know all of the issues with xlink, that is a topic for another thread besides this one.

He's apparently already trying to sell orders (as a broker or not) for more than it is worth. What does that tell you?

I have been approached by others who would like a get a quick ROI on their equipment purchases since mining equipment is being priced based off of BTC prices.

I am not selling my equipment, I'm mining with it.  Tongue
kano
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:58:40 AM

What is x-link? Is there a page with information?
Completely documented in the BFL protocol spec
(but apparently they may have changed it a bit ...)
Somewhere in here:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/913-bitforce-sc-communication-protocol-draft-revision-2-a.html

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 11:07:01 AM

Oh so it's their shit, no wonder nothing came up

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:05:39 PM

Apparently not...
Hello fellow bitcoiners,

It has come to my attention that there are multiple BFL customers with early orders who would like to part with some of their 500Gh/s units. The reasons are numerus, from not having enough power to run the units to some wanting to not have to deal with mining.

I would like to get a feeling from the community if any of you are interested in purchasing these units.

My roll in this is strictly as a broker / escrow / single point of contact for handling all queries and sales.

Best,
James

Wow $150,000 for something that initially was priced at $30,000 and had originally twice the specified hash speed?

Fucking lawlz!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 12:06:47 PM

Wow $150,000 for something that initially was priced at $30,000 and had originally twice the specified hash speed?
Don't forget that it then got upgraded to thrice that hash speed.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:08:16 PM

Don't forget that it then got upgraded to thrice that hash speed.

I didnt I just figured I would leave that out so someone like you could +1 my initial response just to show how ridiculous the price is.  Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:09:44 PM

Funny how you got 2 replies from Luke-Jr paid shill and from kano...BFL's PR is so good!

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 12:21:48 PM by PuertoLibre

Apparently not...
Hello fellow bitcoiners,

Best,
James

Fucking lawlz!
Take notice he is selling a third of a minirig (500Gh/s) for 150k.

The total unit should therefore go for 450k. (15x the original price)

WAY more than it is actually worth (even in BTC production).

-----------------

I think it is getting "kind of obvious" that people are offloading Gen1 ASICs unto "the greater fool".

I haven't even taken the time to really go on about BFL Singles because I want to see how long it takes for people to notice by the time they get their Single...it is pretty much worth [much] less.

The odd thing is...if they sell it...before they actually get it (as a pre-order). They might actually make more than when they get it and use it.

The funny thing is, there are quite a few selling their Singles and doing just that on Ebay and in the Marketplace.

By the time Singles get into the hands of customers, there will be so many on sale, that the resale price will tank. Like a shark...I am waiting for it. Cheesy
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:11:57 PM

Funny how you got 2 replies from Luke-Jr paid shill and from kano...BFL's PR is so good!
Shit...you noticed.

Shhh....
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:17:02 PM

Selling your BFL devices now could be more profitable than actually mining with them. There is going to be so many Avalon based devices, KNC, BitFury, and others to drive Gen 1 ASICs soon out of profitability window.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: