Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:25:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] Honey - The Ultimate (Delicious) Store of Value  (Read 1986 times)
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 12:25:48 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 06:02:17 AM by Qoheleth

What makes a particular asset good as a store of value? In my opinion, the answer is simple:

1) In a catastrophic scenario, the asset's value is less likely to decline than the value of other assets.
2) Assuming that no catastrophic scenario occurs, the asset's value does not decline, or at worst declines very slowly.

Honey fulfills both of these conditions. It doesn't spoil, so its value won't significantly demur, even decades in the future. And unlike precious metals - which may cease to be useful/valuable in especially desperate end-of-civilization scenarios - honey is food, a food used since ancient times, which will be valuable in basically any scenario where scarcity is still a meaningful concept.

Also, it's delicious and (comparatively) healthy!

One of my acquaintances co-operates an apiary, and has been selling the honey therefrom for several years (it even won a local award in 2011). This year, they've produced an especially bumper crop, and with their permission I'm listing their goods for sale here.

Three varieties are available:
  • Orange blossom honey (that is, honey from bees who fed on orange blossoms) - 3 2 gallons remaining
  • Citrus/wildflower honey (from bees who fed on citrus blossoms and wildflowers) - 30 gallons remaining
  • Wildflower honey (fed on wildflowers only) - lots and lots remaining
All three varieties are "raw" honey - filtered but unpasteurized. The main disadvantage here is that it'll crystallize faster, but that's easy to reverse when you want to use it; all you need to do is put the container on a sunny windowsill or dunk it in warm water for a while, and it'll quickly return to "normal" honey consistency. The advantage of unpasteurized honey is that the honey keeps a lot of its natural enzymes, which (so I'm told!) are antibacterial and generally good for you.

Four sizes are available:
  • Half-pint jar - ($8 in BTC)
  • Pint jar - ($11 in BTC)
  • Quart jar - ($21 in BTC)
  • Gallon (probably shipped as four quart jars) - ($61 in BTC)
Shipping is ($10 in BTC) to the United States (($20 in BTC) if you're ordering more than two quarts). For international orders, I'll have to check with the apiarists - it varies a lot.
Edit: I had Mt. Gox tickers here, but since they began a withdrawl hiatus, their prices have diverged dramatically from the exchange rate quoted everywhere else. I'll be making quotes based on the Bitstamp/Bitfinex prices when requested.

I've had several previous threads in Goods, which should provide some evidence for my trustworthiness if you decide to send first.
If you have a good reputation in past trades, I'm willing to send first.
If neither of these are acceptable, I'm willing to do escrow.

I'll be tracking this thread. Please let me know, here or by PM, if you are interested.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:01:00 PM

And honey is easily converted into Mead. Yum, yum!

I might take you up on some of this, have to check with the miss.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 10:00:18 PM

And honey is easily converted into Mead. Yum, yum!

I might take you up on some of this, have to check with the miss.
Glad you're interested. I look forward to hearing from you Smiley

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 11:12:58 PM

Excellent.  More beekeepers using bitcoins!

I would like a gallon of the Orange Blossom Honey.  

I was out in Florida several times a few years ago working on a bee project and picked up a bunch of honey then.  I'm all out of it and it has a much different taste than out here in the Intermountain West.

We will make a batch of honey caramels with some of it for bitcoiners only.

Sending you a PM.

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:14:28 AM

I was out in Florida several times a few years ago working on a bee project and picked up a bunch of honey then.  I'm all out of it and it has a much different taste than out here in the Intermountain West.

Sending you a PM.
Payment received. I'll let you know when the honey has shipped.

Thank you for your custom!

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:37:40 AM

Sending you a PM.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of what in my back yard  Grin
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:42:19 PM

Sending you a PM.

Honey is scheduled to ship this coming Monday; we expect you'll receive it about a week from now.

legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:37:45 PM

mmm I love honey, and I agree it is a good store of value.. but does Honey go bad over time or get better?

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Veldt Gold

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 02:09:38 AM

I sell Precious Metals for a living and I agree, in a cataclysmic event honey will be more necessary than PM's though I still want to metal for the other side.

How do I order? Can I get the wild flower? I'll be buying a gallon.

VELDT GOLD - your full service bitcoin to bullion dealer!
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 02:48:00 AM

How do I order? Can I get the wild flower? I'll be buying a gallon.
You can definitely get the wildflower - there's plenty left. Are you willing to send first?

Veldt Gold

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 02:59:34 AM

Yes that is fine.

you want to email me the address?

VELDT GOLD - your full service bitcoin to bullion dealer!
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 03:01:37 AM

Yes that is fine.

you want to email me the address?

Email or forum PM, your pick.

Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 05:36:24 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 02:39:46 PM by Qoheleth

Can I get the wild flower? I'll be buying a gallon.
Payment received. I'll let you know when I get shipping details from the apiarists.

Edit: Your honey should also go out on Monday.

Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 03:41:39 PM

Bump for the weekend.

randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:53:01 PM

I collect different honeys and am up to my ears. But I wanted to pop my head in to say this is neat!
Adriano
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1285
Merit: 1085

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:51:34 PM

Congratulations for the very unusual marketing strategy (but highly target oriented, lol)... It definitely caught my attention.

Adriano

--
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 09:48:31 PM

Congratulations for the very unusual marketing strategy (but highly target oriented, lol)... It definitely caught my attention.
Heh, thanks. It actually came out of a conversation with my brother. We were out raking up lawnmower leftovers, and talking about what makes people use a particular thing as money - one of us had brought up how gold (unlike e.g. rice) doesn't go bad, and he half-joking suggested that people should use weed as money, having misremembered the stash from a 2700-year-old Chinese tomb as having been "still good" when it was dug up. That reminded me of honey, which is a tad more useful and has similar urban legends about being found in tombs.

Thought it'd be an interesting way to couch the commodity in a place like this Smiley

Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 04:52:15 PM

Sending you a PM.

Any word yet on shipping?

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 05:22:29 PM

Any word yet on shipping?
I'm trying to get in touch with my apiarist friend. The honey was supposed to ship early last week, but with him out of town the duty of actually shipping out the honey would have fallen to his mother (the other apiarist here), whose contact information I do not have. I'll let you know as soon as I've reestablished communication and know what's going on.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but if it gets to be late this week and he isn't responding, I'm willing to refund your money or do whatever else to make things right for you.

Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 09:30:13 PM

Made contact. The mom came down with an illness soon after the son left town, and so the honey didn't get shipped out until Friday (June 28th). It should be arriving in the next few days.

I'll see if I can get tracking numbers.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: