Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:56:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are 1070 TI's the next best GPU for mining? 4.7 sols per watt  (Read 9226 times)
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 10:39:52 PM

A well dialed in 1080 can pretty close match a 1070 ti on efficiency - but it's also going to do about the same hashrate when it does so (WELL under 5% difference and commonly 1-2%)
Why? There's ~ 5% difference in the amount of cuda cores between the cards, otherwise they're pretty much identical (if anything GDDR5X consumes a tiny bit less power than GDDR5). Why would 1070 Ti be somehow more efficient than 1080? What would be the reason for "WELL under 5% difference"?
sikke1

Activity: 44
Merit: 18

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 10:58:12 PM

A well dialed in 1080 can pretty close match a 1070 ti on efficiency - but it's also going to do about the same hashrate when it does so (WELL under 5% difference and commonly 1-2%)
Why? There's ~ 5% difference in the amount of cuda cores between the cards, otherwise they're pretty much identical (if anything GDDR5X consumes a tiny bit less power than GDDR5). Why would 1070 Ti be somehow more efficient than 1080? What would be the reason for "WELL under 5% difference"?

Your results with 1080 bypasses mine with great distance. I had Asus Strix 1080 11gbps but I never get them hashing stable even 520 sols and they need 8 + 6 pci-e to power up. In conclusion I resulted selling them after 2 weeks of mining with 50$ loss to buy cheaper 1070 Ti which gave me very close same sols/w and with great potential. I feel the difference is within the gddr5x which is not suitable for mining. 1080 is still upheld price position greater to 1070 TI which is fine for gaming but for mining it makes no sense.

OFC if you hold older 1080 it's good to keep as you get very little benefit for swapping to 1070 TI ( like I did )

Like to point out 1080 FAN was always louder that 1070 TI with single pci-e 8 connector. It run way cooler the card.
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 11:24:17 PM

I feel the difference is within the gddr5x which is not suitable for mining. 1080 is still upheld price position greater to 1070 TI which is fine for gaming but for mining it makes no sense.
GDDR5X is fine for equihash. And the type of memory installed is completely irrelevant for all the other algos except dagger and neoscrypt. The pricing issue is indeed the main culprit, but here's the thing: while in US GTX 1070s and 1070 Ti's are normally priced now, in many other countries — including the one I currently reside in — these cards are still overpriced. When the whole mining market exploded this summer and AMD Polaris cards were selling for $500, a lot of folks seemed to go after gtx 1070 cards as a substitute for ETH mining. Their price went up to $500-550 as well, but for some reason it never got down (same with 1080 Ti's, they're still $820+ here, with decent ones costing more than $900). 1080s, on the other hand, avoided the miners' attention for the most part, and their prices never went up so they're still at $550-600. So for me the choice is between regular 1070 for $500-530, 1070 ti for $550-600, or 1080 for $550-620. That's why I personally go for 1080. If I was in US and there was $100 difference between 1070 ti and 1080, I'd probably go with 1070 ti cards myself. Different prices on different markets result in different choices. Smiley
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 04:13:46 AM

For ZEC/clones, the GDDR5 vs GDDR5x issue appears to be insignificant. The latency issue does drop effective bandwidth a bit but not enough to be noticeable on most algorithms.

I was talking about the HASHRATE being less than 5% and commonly 1-2% different when operating the cards at the same TDP/efficiency - which means that the 1080 cores are clocking a little lower since there are MORE OF THEM TO EAT POWER they have less power per core to work with and that puts a hair more of a power limit on their boost vs the 1070 ti.

The REAL difference though, when operating both cards at their max efficiency range, is the PRICE - far bigger difference than the hashrate difference, so on a hash/$ basis the 1080 loses noticeably even if it can match the 1070 ti on hashrate and efficiency.

If you can get a 1080 of a comparable model to a 1070 ti version for the same price or less, it makes sense to go with the 1080 - for resale value if NOTHING else.

If you run the cards at the same TDP, and they are the same model (like Zotac mini versions of each, or EVGA SC, etc) the fans should end up running at the same speed and be the same noise level.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 09:54:11 PM

I can’t suggest to buy the Gigabyte Gaming G1 1070 Ti I personally find it gets much hotter than any other 1070 I owe (same pisition in the rig)
I have the feeling that the supposed to look cool back plate is not helping at all with the heat dispersion. Better go for another model if you have the choice!

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:54:59 PM

I can’t suggest to buy the Gigabyte Gaming G1 1070 Ti I personally find it gets much hotter than any other 1070 I owe (same pisition in the rig)
I have the feeling that the supposed to look cool back plate is not helping at all with the heat dispersion. Better go for another model if you have the choice!

At this point, given how many issues I've had with Gigabyte cards the last 3 weeks, I can't recommend Gigabyte PERIOD (except perhaps the Aorus, jury is still out on those).

3 cards with dead fans, 1 with *2* dead fans, and I've had *2* of the ITX cards just flat out DIE this past week.

BTW - the "common" 1070 ti has a 29 watt higher TDP than a "common" 1070, why is it a supprise that it would run hotter?

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 09:10:07 PM

At this point, given how many issues I've had with Gigabyte cards the last 3 weeks, I can't recommend Gigabyte PERIOD (except perhaps the Aorus, jury is still out on those).

3 cards with dead fans, 1 with *2* dead fans, and I've had *2* of the ITX cards just flat out DIE this past week.

BTW - the "common" 1070 ti has a 29 watt higher TDP than a "common" 1070, why is it a supprise that it would run hotter?

The 1070 Ti has a higher TDP that is true but already few months ago I had a 1060 G1 gaming which ran much hotter than the other 1060 with the same hashrate. I sent it back after a few days should have known better. Now I will definitely stay away from the G1 models. Aorus is quite pricy never tried one - do you have any experience with it? Which card manufacturer was the most reliable for you?

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:59:58 AM

The Aorus 1080 ti seems to be a good design (I have 2 of them) - Gigabyte didn't cheap out on the fans, they're real ball bearing designs - and the cooling is impressively good, though I suspect little or no better than any of the other "2.5 slot wide" cards.
 The cooler design is WAY overkill for a 1080 or 1070ti or below though.
 They definitely run better than my EVGA SC, MSI Turbo (blower model), or the Gigabyte Windforce I have in GTX 1080 ti cards at anything over about 80% TDP, and cool better across the board.

IMO at this point the folks with the best cards for long-term mining use are Sapphire on the AMD side (they are my GO TO choice period for Team Red, VERY long lasting time at the top) and probably EVGA on the NVidia side.

MSI looks nice on specs but in my very small sample size I've had mixed results on their designs (the Gaming X 1070 and 1080 models are crazy with their 240 watt default TDP but don't cool much if any better than the EVGA SC design, and their "Aero" ITX model has very poor cooling vs the Gigabyte ITX (but the Gigabyte has that JUNK FAN issue, and I've also had one just suddenly die on me a few days ago when the notorious F4 fuse blew - and it DID not come back up when I replaced the fuse).

Zotac - I'm on the fence about at this point, can't find any definitely answer on if their fans are ball bearing or not, which makes me inclined to think NOT and therefore should be avoided.

marti718

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 11:04:14 AM

The Aorus 1080 ti seems to be a good design (I have 2 of them) - Gigabyte didn't cheap out on the fans, they're real ball bearing designs - and the cooling is impressively good, though I suspect little or no better than any of the other "2.5 slot wide" cards.
 They definitely run better than my EVGA SC, MSI Turbo (blower model), or the Gigabyte Windforce I have in GTX 1080 ti cards at anything over about 80% TDP, and cool better across the board.

IMO at this point the folks with the best cards for long-term mining use are Sapphire on the AMD side (they are my GO TO choice period for Team Red, VERY long lasting time at the top) and probably EVGA on the NVidia side.

MSI looks nice on specs but in my very small sample size I've had mixed results on their designs (the Gaming X 1070 and 1080 models are crazy with their 240 watt default TDP but don't cool much if any better than the EVGA SC design, and their "Aero" ITX model has very poor cooling vs the Gigabyte ITX (but the Gigabyte has that JUNK FAN issue, and I've also had one just suddenly die on me a few days ago when the notorious F4 fuse blew - and it DID not come back up when I replaced the fuse).

Zotac - I'm on the fence about at this point, can't find any definitely answer on if their fans are ball bearing or not, which makes me inclined to think NOT and therefore should be avoided.

I live in the tropics so it gets fairly hot and I do not use AC too cool my rig. The GPU's available were/are rather slim so I bought a Zotac 1080ti. I have to keep the fan on a 75 - 95% level to keep it in the 60-68c range. An Aorus became available so I bought one and these cards cool rather easily. I keep the fans on the Aorus at a far lower level and it cools very nicely. I have some Gigabyte 1070 G1 as well and they seem to cool very nicely as well. It's only been 3 months since I have acquired these cards so their longevity cannot be determined. I will not buy another Zotac even with the $65 difference with an Aorus.
VoskCoin (OP)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:01:43 AM

Sweet!  Set it at
+700
+200
TDP 80

All 7 cards running at 3600 sols
Ewbf or dstm? Nice!

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:04:25 AM

I’ve been trying to find more info on zotac too, they’re so readily available (oftentimes) at more reasonable prices than some of the other cards. I haven’t had any problems with them but they certainly don’t seem to match the quality of my evga for example

VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:08:27 AM

For ZEC/clones, the GDDR5 vs GDDR5x issue appears to be insignificant. The latency issue does drop effective bandwidth a bit but not enough to be noticeable on most algorithms.

I was talking about the HASHRATE being less than 5% and commonly 1-2% different when operating the cards at the same TDP/efficiency - which means that the 1080 cores are clocking a little lower since there are MORE OF THEM TO EAT POWER they have less power per core to work with and that puts a hair more of a power limit on their boost vs the 1070 ti.

The REAL difference though, when operating both cards at their max efficiency range, is the PRICE - far bigger difference than the hashrate difference, so on a hash/$ basis the 1080 loses noticeably even if it can match the 1070 ti on hashrate and efficiency.

If you can get a 1080 of a comparable model to a 1070 ti version for the same price or less, it makes sense to go with the 1080 - for resale value if NOTHING else.

If you run the cards at the same TDP, and they are the same model (like Zotac mini versions of each, or EVGA SC, etc) the fans should end up running at the same speed and be the same noise level.

On this topic then...

What’s the best Nvidia rig build atm right now?

VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:15:19 AM

My Msi 1070 ti Titanium color edition runs great.

My current semi aggressive setting.  I haven't even dialed it in, just used your guys recommended start point.

tdp 75 percent
+200 core clock
+700 mem clock
= 500 sol/s equihash.

Stable for days,  I have not tried to plug in the monitor to it.  too scared it might start to artifact if I'm taxing the gpu more to render a screen as well as hashing.
My advice is to slightly go more conservative on the gpu that needs to render to monitor.

If I were to build a large farm I would go with 1070 ti all the way.  It's highly efficient.  It's the new standard. 1070 is phased out (older card, won't have a good resale value since everyone will want the 1070 ti, 1070ti overclocks better and runs cooler)

As much as I like my 1080 ti i feel they struggle dollar for dollar to keep up with the 1070ti.

For example, I go by the $1 dollar = 1 sol or higher
My 1080 ti at 75 tdp +125 core clock does 680 sols about. But the cards cost $700-750 (depending on deals)
My 1070 ti  at 75 tdp +200 core/700mem does 500 sols about.  Those cost only $460-480

The 1070 ti performs higher than 1 sol per dollar whereas the 1080 ti struggles to get 1 sol per dolllar spent.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately too, the 1080 ti rigs are also like a furnace!

Seems like the 1070 TI could be the champion(depending on algo) GPU of the home miner / also farms

VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:17:22 AM

I feel the difference is within the gddr5x which is not suitable for mining. 1080 is still upheld price position greater to 1070 TI which is fine for gaming but for mining it makes no sense.
GDDR5X is fine for equihash. And the type of memory installed is completely irrelevant for all the other algos except dagger and neoscrypt. The pricing issue is indeed the main culprit, but here's the thing: while in US GTX 1070s and 1070 Ti's are normally priced now, in many other countries — including the one I currently reside in — these cards are still overpriced. When the whole mining market exploded this summer and AMD Polaris cards were selling for $500, a lot of folks seemed to go after gtx 1070 cards as a substitute for ETH mining. Their price went up to $500-550 as well, but for some reason it never got down (same with 1080 Ti's, they're still $820+ here, with decent ones costing more than $900). 1080s, on the other hand, avoided the miners' attention for the most part, and their prices never went up so they're still at $550-600. So for me the choice is between regular 1070 for $500-530, 1070 ti for $550-600, or 1080 for $550-620. That's why I personally go for 1080. If I was in US and there was $100 difference between 1070 ti and 1080, I'd probably go with 1070 ti cards myself. Different prices on different markets result in different choices. Smiley
Where do you reside? Come to the US with empty luggage bags and return home with your spoils of war Cheesy

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 7925

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:18:43 AM

I have use various Gigabyte cards AMD and Nvidia  going back to 2012  BTC  back then and some LTC.

So  here goes  every Gigabyte  model sucked.  Other then the Gigabyte 1070 itx.

Maybe a Hd 6970  certainly  a hd 7950 and 7970.

And the aorus  1080 ti.

They all seemed to go rouge  max at 100% power and drop  the msi settings or the sapphire trixx.

the 1070 itx were all good.  around 5-7 of them.

Now back to the 1070ti

I finally got 8 for my 8 card rig I pulled the 1080 ti  and put in the 8th 1070 ti  and memory  will not adjust.  I can no longer go to 498-505 sols.

I put the 1080 ti back in and the 1070 ti's  will allow memory clocking this is on smos

smos does not have the right drivers for 1070 ti  as mine show as nvidia vga

not as 1070ti
all my other cards 1080ti 1080 1070 all show as that

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:26:45 AM

I have use various Gigabyte cards AMD and Nvidia  going back to 2012  BTC  back then and some LTC.

And the aorus  1080 ti.

They all seemed to go rouge  max at 100% power and drop  the msi settings or the sapphire trixx.

When you say that sucked

Lower hashrate?
Ran hotter?
Power consumption?
Build quality?
Cards dying?

I’m just curious, we should have a vote for worst card in 2017 as it comes to a close lol

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 7925

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 04:28:30 AM

And the aorus  1080 ti.

When you say that sucked

Lower hashrate?
Ran hotter?
Power consumption?
Build quality?
Cards dying?

I’m just curious, we should have a vote for worst card in 2017 as it comes to a close lol

They would drop settings and go to 100% power  thus overheating

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
orcvoin

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

TdhNBDpg4EnTzLVe41WsGJECP7qc3uENdS

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:47:13 AM

In my opinion, 1080 exceeds 1070 by the price / hashrate. In the stock clock settings, 1080 shows the same results as the 1070th in the overclock. At the same price for the average 1080 and top 1070ti. My choice is more blunt power for the same price. Tongue

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:54:59 AM

In my case, I've stopped even LOOKING at Gigabyte cards except the Aorus - way too many "dead fan" issues on cards at or a bit less than a year old, and had 2 of the ITX cards die on me last month.

They really got cheap on their fans - you have to BREAK the things open to even fix them as they don't have "oil covers" in the back like MOST sleeve bearing designs do and they are held together by a "sonic welded" piece.

I suspect I just found new long-term homes for the left-overs of the big batch of 92mm NMB Boxer fans I got at a hamfest years ago - which happen to soak the same .35 amps of the cheap Gigabyte fans, but I only need *2* of the NMBs for good cooling vs. 2 or 3 on the Windforce cards I have....

BTW - I blame Voskcoin's video for NewEgg being out of the EVGA SC 1070 ti right now.

8-P

dadesu

Activity: 378
Merit: 258

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:03:20 AM

It looks like the gtx 1070 will still be the king of the nvidia for mining until new volta gpu enter the scene.
1070ti is for the memory coine of the same speed as the 1070 ordinary, and for the gpu coins speed does not justify the difference in price.
If price of 1070ti go closer to 1070 then there is chance for 1070ti, for now nothing special.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███